HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Roadrunners - 12/11/03: Rocky Thompson first star???

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2003, 06:13 AM
barto

vCash: 500
Roadrunners - 12/11/03: Rocky Thompson first star???

Roadrunners Win Back-to-Back Games

The Toronto Roadrunners defeated the Chicago Wolves 5-1 on Thursday night to win consecutive games for the first time in franchise history. The Roadrunners extended their home winning streak to three games.

Doug Lynch (3 assists), Rocky Thompson (2 assists), and Mike Bishai (1 goal, 1 assist) led the way offensively for the Roadrunners.

Peter Sarno, Jani Rita, Tony Salmelainen, and Nate DiCasmirro also scored for the Roadrunners.

Zdenek Blatny scored the lone goal for Chicago.

Roadrunners forward Joe Cullen recorded the first point of his AHL career, earning an assist. Doug Lynch, named the game's second star, became the first Roadrunner to record three assists in a game.

Jani Rita, the game's third star, extended his point streak to four games (3 goals, 1 assist). Roadrunners defenceman Rocky Thompson was +3 and was awarded first star honours.

In goal, Roadrunners starter Stephen Valiquette made 24 saves to earn his second straight victory. Wolves goaltender Frederic Cassivi stopped 35 shots.

The Roadrunners were 2 for 8 on the power play, while the Wolves were 0 for 4.

The Roadrunners next game is Saturday, December 13th, as they travel to Rochester to face the Americans.

The Toronto Roadrunners next home action takes place Thursday, December 18th, as the Philadelphia Phantoms make their first visit to Ricoh Coliseum. Tickets for this game are available at the Ricoh Coliseum Box Office, at all Ticketmaster outlets, by calling Ticketmaster at (416) 872-5000 or on the Internet by visiting www.ticketmaster.com.

Scoring Summary

Period 1

1. Peter Sarno-2 (Sean McAslan) - 15:17

Period 2

2. TOR - Jani Rita-8 (Rocky Thompson, Mike Bishai) - 16:36

Period 3

3. TOR - Tony Salmelainen-5 (Doug Lynch, Rocky Thompson) - 2:45

4. CHI - Zdenek Blatny-5 (Karl Stewart, Shawn Heins) - 4:46

5. TOR - Mike Bishai-8 (Doug Lynch, Mikko Luoma) - 12:58 (PP)

6. TOR - Nate DiCasmirro-5 (Doug Lynch, Joe Cullen) - 18:00 (PP)

Shots

Toronto: 13-14-13--40

Chicago: 6-9-10--25

Goaltending

Toronto: Stephen Valiquette (25 shots, 23 shots)

Chicago: Fred Cassivi (40 shots, 35 saves)

Power Play

Toronto: 2 for 8

Chicago: 0 for 4

Attendance: 2,842

Three Stars

1. TOR - Rocky Thompson

2. TOR - Doug Lynch

3. TOR - Jani Rita

Old
12-12-2003, 08:35 AM
Easilee 27

I think everyone around here thinks of Rocky as that toothless screaming maniac we saw him as, as a Flame. However in the Roadrunner games I've seen, he has been a solid, steady, make the simple play D-man, and has looked very good with Lynch. Sure, he still scraps, and is a very effective fighter, but I would hope that no one would hold that against him. For all the cutting down he's recieved on this board, I think he's done a very good job.

Old
12-12-2003, 11:59 AM
oilersboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Attendance: 2,842
Was the game at toronto? If it was, the attendance is very low for a new team. The attendance in the boring Quebec senior majeur hockey league in sherbrooke is the double of that.

Old
12-12-2003, 12:12 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooiilleerr_bergeron
Was the game at toronto? If it was, the attendance is very low for a new team. The attendance in the boring Quebec senior majeur hockey league in sherbrooke is the double of that.
I had to dig through the report and found this:

Quote:
The Roadrunners extended their home winning streak to three games.
So that answers that... Luckily the RR owner can make back some money on all the other events going on in Ricoh Coliseum! Maybe the crowds will build over time?

Bart

Old
12-13-2003, 08:53 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easilee 27
I think everyone around here thinks of Rocky as that toothless screaming maniac we saw him as, as a Flame. However in the Roadrunner games I've seen, he has been a solid, steady, make the simple play D-man, and has looked very good with Lynch. Sure, he still scraps, and is a very effective fighter, but I would hope that no one would hold that against him. For all the cutting down he's recieved on this board, I think he's done a very good job.
The assumption seems to be since he didn't make the NHL, he must be a poor player. I think people forget that even the worst NHL player is still one of the best players in the world. Makes me :mad: .

At any rate, while Rocky's likely never gonna play for the big club, it sounds like he's doing very well in the AHL, and good for him - he's still living his dream, I'm sure. Vets in the AHL, especially guys who HAVE played in the NHL, are extremely valuable, they can show the younger guys the ropes. "You know kid, when I was 20, I did that too. Trust me, don't."

Closed Thread