HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Flyers - HOCKEY IS BACK!

Old
01-19-2013, 07:22 PM
zhenyas most fly rep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I know that I wasn't alone on that one. Definitely need an upgrade.

Still hopeful with Tangradi, but that one may (I think 'will', but I'll reserve judgment) need an upgrade.

I'll say this again, having watched Geno last year and this first game. There's a noticeable difference in his defensive play. I haven't seen him backtrack on the play and protect his net like that since the cup year. And, frankly, while the explosiveness wasn't there and there weren't a ton of chances, I thought he never really tried to force anything. As I wrote earlier, I think Paul Maurice's influence shows, and that's a good thing.
It's no secret that his defensive game has noticeably worsened under Bylsma.
After watching him a lot this year playing under Maurice you could see he was rediscovering his game in the defensive zone. Not to mention Maurice giving him way more defensive responsibilities like giving him a regular shift on the PK. Let's hope he keeps in mind whatever direction Maurice was giving him.
To those who thought he was gonna dominate right away, it took him about a month to find his groove on bigger ice against lesser competition, I wouldn't expect that long a period to readjust to the NHL style of play, but still.
There's also a pretty big difference coming from what you could label a dream line for him with Kulyomin + Mozyakin where everyone knew their role and executed perfectly to that 2 men line (a bit harsh I know).
But, while Neal is a pretty good replacement for Mozyakin (Neal is certainly not as skilled but his direct style and physical game is way more suited to the NHL)
Tangradi, I hope, they are gonna find an alternative really soon. I'm sorry I can't see him working out on that line, too many deficiencies in his game (vision, basic stickhandling, passing skills) even his physical play isn't overwhelming.
Gotta find that NHL version of Kulyomin.

Uh, How about that Leaf player Kulemin?

Someone care to enlighten me on his highsticking penalty? Are follow through penalties as well? I didn't think so.

zhenyas most fly rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Qubax

How did Tangradi play?

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:24 PM
vodeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Go after a big name pending UFA like Perry or Iggy.

I like Dupuis with Sid and an elite winger. Reunite Kunitz with Geno/Neal as a 2nd line. Cooke-Sutter-TK. Glass and Adams. Get Bortuzzo, Engelland and Orpik in the lineup and we're set.
stanley cup (under one condition, Sid is back to 80-90% of his pre injury old Sid)

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
- Tangradi. Listen, if he doesn't score, doesn't hit, doesn't get to the net, and doesn't grind down low, I'm not sure what else is left for him. He looked slower than usual too.
Uh... Ok. Pay attention.

He rubbed his man out on the cycle and went to the net just about every shift. I guess on Neal's goal you missed how he rubbed out the far side winger who was suppose to clog the shooting lane.

Slow? He also raced past two flyers starting back in his own zone and negated the icing, which lead to Neal getting a great look on net.

I guess I'm the only one who noticed B Schenn played like hot garbage today getting his shot in the top six. Hard to believe one of the best fwd prospects in the league didn't figure things out all in three periods.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:25 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

+++ Sutter.
++ Fleury.
++ Niskanen. Solid.
+ Martin. Strong game. not just by his standards, but in general. He was much better at handling the physical play.
+ Kennedy. Thought he was really good on the forecheck.
+ Cooke.
+ Crosby.
+ Adams. Did his job, and was effective in doing so.
+ Coaching staff. I constantly hate on them. So I'll give credit where credit is due. Encouraged with the changes to the penalty kill. Shorter shifts, better zone coverage, different personel.

* Tangradi. He was underwhelming
* Despres. Would make an effective play, then take a penalty.

- Malkin. Barely noticed him.
- Jeffrey. Brutal.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:26 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

BTW... people are aware that ET is only 23 years old, yes?

People are also aware that he wasn't a first round pick, yes?

So why the hell would you expect him to come into the league and with under 50 games played be lighting up the scoresheet like he's a prospect that went in the top 10?

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
How did Tangradi play?
Acceptible.

Unacceptable.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Don't want to come off as a Tangradi hater, but I don't see him doing anything that every bottom-6 guy can't do. I just don't see him having an NHL future in the top-6.

It seems to me that everyone is looking for him to do well, which is fine, but they're forgetting that pretty much everyone can do the things he's doing. I guess I just don't get it.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
So why the hell would you expect him to come into the league and with under 50 games played be lighting up the scoresheet like he's a prospect that went in the top 10?
Because we expect that of everyone. Get real. Slow developement is for Red Wings.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:28 PM
zhenya71

Thought Fleury played really well today, but somebody seriously needs to chain his ass to the goalpost.

zhenya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:28 PM
SEALBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
With the strength and physicality Geno and Neal possess, I think this would be the best possible lineup for us up front.

Kunitz - Sid - IGINLA!!!!
Bennett - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams

BB might not be able to dig in corners like a bigger man would, but his IQ for the game would fit nicely. That would be a top six where every single player could create on his own, Kunitz being the weakest link... How awesome would it be to say Kunitz is our weakest offensive threat in the top six!?
I think then the lines should become:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-TK
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Depending on who we give up. Kunitz-Malkin-Neal is a force. If we can role that line and a line with Sid + Good winger into the playoffs, we'd be set.

As is right now, I think the wing for Sid needs to be at the top of Shero's to do list...as it is every year.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Go after a big name pending UFA like Perry or Iggy.

I like Dupuis with Sid and an elite winger. Reunite Kunitz with Geno/Neal as a 2nd line. Cooke-Sutter-TK. Glass and Adams. Get Bortuzzo, Engelland and Orpik in the lineup and we're set.
Only problem though is, if those guys are put on the block, there will surely be a bidding war. The price could end up being awfully high. Obviously just guessing, but it would probably take a 1st and a top prospect at minimum. Would you give up Morrow or Pouliot and a 1st for 2 months of Iggy? Or maybe they'd want Bennett.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:30 PM
vodeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
+++ Sutter.
++ Fleury.
++ Niskanen. Solid.
+ Martin. Strong game. not just by his standards, but in general. He was much better at handling the physical play.
+ Kennedy. Thought he was really good on the forecheck.
+ Cooke.
+ Crosby.
+ Adams. Did his job, and was effective in doing so.
+ Coaching staff. I constantly hate on them. So I'll give credit where credit is due. Encouraged with the changes to the penalty kill. Shorter shifts, better zone coverage, different personel.

* Tangradi. He was underwhelming
* Despres. Would make an effective play, then take a penalty.

- Malkin. Barely noticed him.
- Jeffrey. Brutal.
makes no sense

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
H382

vCash: 564
Jeffrey's been a big disappointment for me for a long time. I like what Vitale brings to the table over what Jeffrey does.

H382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I think then the lines should become:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-TK
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Depending on who we give up. Kunitz-Malkin-Neal is a force. If we can role that line and a line with Sid + Good winger into the playoffs, we'd be set.

As is right now, I think the wing for Sid needs to be at the top of Shero's to do list...as it is every year.
I am honestly just glad people have finally come down from this "we need Douglas Murray/NiklasHjamlmersson/other below average defender" ****.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Dangles78

Some of these posts are hysterical and a little pathetic.

I'm assuming it's from the post-05 people, but damn seriously? This is a solid team. Nothing is perfect, nothing!

When I see stupid posts like "well, that's game" or "Pens are gonna lose" I just want to kick a baby, unless I know people are being sarcastic.

Someone has a bad game...or an average game to boot...a lot of posters respond, "trade him", "**** him, he sucks", "wow he's garbage".

With that logic: **** Crosby and Geno, they suck ******* ****. It's hysterical to me. Yes, these people get paid a lot, but to expect them to be at their best every single night is naive. It's even more naive to throw them under a bus so quickly, especially when a majority will hold a different opinion on these players the next game.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:31 PM
aSockalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by H382 View Post
Jeffrey's been a big disappointment for me for a long time. I like what Vitale brings to the table over what Jeffrey does.
Same. Bring back Victory.

aSockalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Don't want to come off as a Tangradi hater, but I don't see him doing anything that every bottom-6 guy can't do. I just don't see him having an NHL future in the top-6.

It seems to me that everyone is looking for him to do well, which is fine, but they're forgetting that pretty much everyone can do the things he's doing. I guess I just don't get it.
the things he's done aren't why we like him. It's the things we think he can do.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:35 PM
sexyllama

Best overreaction so far:

Carolina boards- "I'm thinking the Staal should have went the other way"

I totally agree Tangradi didn't have a Hat Trick and Despres wasn't +10 and didn't add 327 Hits both are bums...

sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:36 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Granted, it's Columbus, but does anyone remember the chemistry Sid and Tangradi seemed to have in that preseason game the year after we won the Cup?

They destroyed, from what I remember. I think Tangradi even had a couple goals... but that could be wrong.

Maybe try Tangradi with Sid and put Kunitz back with Geno.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
- For giving a - to Eggs Martin. Get with the program. Today we love Martin, tomorrow we scorn
But Martin is bad player who plays bad.

Bad players get a minus.

Isn't that how this thread works?

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:37 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Only problem though is, if those guys are put on the block, there will surely be a bidding war. The price could end up being awfully high. Obviously just guessing, but it would probably take a 1st and a top prospect at minimum. Would you give up Morrow or Pouliot and a 1st for 2 months of Iggy? Or maybe they'd want Bennett.
Morrow and Bennett are the only prospects Id hesitate moving for an elite winger for Sid. If we're healthy and primed for a Cup come trade deadline, Im paying a hefty price to put us over the top.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:38 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
But Martin is bad player who plays bad.

Bad players get a minus.

Isn't that how this thread works?
Also prospects that make a mistake and dont score 6 goals or make 50 hits. Just ignore the things that happen away from the puck. They are irrelevant. It's only stats that matter.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:40 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
Best overreaction so far:

Carolina boards- "I'm thinking the Staal should have went the other way"
And as out of it as EStaal and Ward looked so far, weren`t those fans telling us about how deep their D was and how we should take Murphy, McBain, Pitkanen for JStaal back in the summer? Sorry, but that is not what this looks like right now, that D is horrifying. Even, sorry to say, Gleason.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:41 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Morrow and Bennett are the only prospects Id hesitate moving for an elite winger for Sid. If we're healthy and primed for a Cup come trade deadline, Im paying a hefty price to put us over the top.
I think I feel this way too. Even given my feelings toward the other prospects on this team.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote