HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best Offwingers of All-Time

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 12:11 AM
  #26
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 38,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post

That being said, if the majority of hockey players shoot left, is this why left wingers (who carry the puck on the side of the boards), have trended towards power forwards and grinders throughout history, while the majority of players like Bure, Jagr, and so on have played right wing?
I've seen the theory that it is easier for a LH center to pass the puck to the right side.

Probably a little of both.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:34 AM
  #27
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
That being said, if the majority of hockey players shoot left, is this why left wingers (who carry the puck on the side of the boards), have trended towards power forwards and grinders throughout history, while the majority of players like Bure, Jagr, and so on have played right wing?
Chicken vs egg.

When you are on the off wing or off defense you have a better angle on the net shooting wise.

Draw a triangle from the center of the back of the net to get your "high percentage" angle. Shooting on your wing means your stick is generally outside of this triangle.

Id say PF and grinders will prefer to have their stick along the board on the forehand because they will be fighting for the puck along the board.

On the other hand shooters will prefer to have their stick on the off wing for a better shooting angle.


You will also sometimes see Dmen switch to their off side on the PP for example.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:12 PM
  #28
davebenj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Being right handed, I shoot right which apparently most people don't. I've been told why a lot of people shoot with their non dominant hand on the bottom of the stick and the reasons why but I personally couldn't even imagine shooting left it feels so uncomfortable which is weird because I bat left handed in baseball but I do everything else right handed.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:19 AM
  #29
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
Being right handed, I shoot right which apparently most people don't. I've been told why a lot of people shoot with their non dominant hand on the bottom of the stick and the reasons why but I personally couldn't even imagine shooting left it feels so uncomfortable which is weird because I bat left handed in baseball but I do everything else right handed.
One explanation I've heard regarding shooting is this:

Canadian coaches and training teaches you to have your dominant hand on the top of the stick for strength and control when handling the puck as well as when digging in the corners, while American coaches teach the opposite for accuracy and power when shooting and passing.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:59 AM
  #30
Dennis Bonvie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 7,737
vCash: 500
Biggest problem for off-wingers is in the defensive zone where they will need to be on the backhand to clear the puck up the boards.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:58 PM
  #31
Johnny Engine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
One explanation I've heard regarding shooting is this:

Canadian coaches and training teaches you to have your dominant hand on the top of the stick for strength and control when handling the puck as well as when digging in the corners, while American coaches teach the opposite for accuracy and power when shooting and passing.
Here's a fun one: I'm Canadian, right handed and shoot right because my dad is left-handed and he had right-shooting sticks around the house all the time. Probably partially explains why I was never awesome at stickhandling, but could get a decent shot off.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:36 PM
  #32
cam042686
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Anders Hedberg when he played RW on the "Hot Line" in Winnipeg with Bobby Hull and Ulf Nillson was awesome.

Wayne Cashman playing LW with Phil Esposito and Ken Hodge was an excellent player playing the "off-wing."

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:57 PM
  #33
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Very clearly not the best or even one of the best, but I figured I'd mention Jack Darragh as he was the person who pioneered playing on his off-wing with the early-1900s Senators.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:17 PM
  #34
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,234
vCash: 500
I'd take Jagr over the legend of Richard as the best off winger of all time.

I think the only way you can take Richard is if you really value playoffs a ton.

Even then it's not like Jagr has been horrible in the playoffs either.

Richard has 13 top 10 finishes in goal scoring and 11 top 10 finishes in points. all of this in a 6 team league and his best goal scoring season was in a weak WW2 year as well.

Jagr has 8 top 10 in goals and 11 times in points but in a much more competitive league as well.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:21 PM
  #35
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 21,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam042686 View Post
Wayne Cashman playing LW with Phil Esposito and Ken Hodge was an excellent player playing the "off-wing."
The Nitro Line.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:33 AM
  #36
overpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam042686 View Post
Anders Hedberg when he played RW on the "Hot Line" in Winnipeg with Bobby Hull and Ulf Nillson was awesome.

Wayne Cashman playing LW with Phil Esposito and Ken Hodge was an excellent player playing the "off-wing."

Craig Wallace
One interesting thing about Hedberg is that the first time he played RW was with the Jets, alongside Hull and Nilsson. He had always played C and LW in Sweden.

Hedberg appears to have had no trouble making the change.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:32 AM
  #37
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
One explanation I've heard regarding shooting is this:

Canadian coaches and training teaches you to have your dominant hand on the top of the stick for strength and control when handling the puck as well as when digging in the corners, while American coaches teach the opposite for accuracy and power when shooting and passing.
What ive heard and it does make sense is US born and raised players tend to pick up the game later where are Canadian and European players are born with their sticks in their hands.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:43 AM
  #38
dimi19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETZZZ View Post
...lots
this

dimi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:06 AM
  #39
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Biggest problem for off-wingers is in the defensive zone where they will need to be on the backhand to clear the puck up the boards.
This X 1000.

I'm a bit of a weird breed myself when it comes to dexterity. I write with my right hand, I throw with my left. I golf left, I shoot left, I bat left, but the strange part is playing tennis and badminton. In tennis, I serve with my left hand, then my right hand becomes my forehand as soon as play continues. In badminton, the opposite is true. I serve with my right hand and smash with my left. For some reason the over hand motion with my left hand has never been there.

I can catch with my left and right hand equally.

What the hell is my problem?

The funny part is, I am competitive in all sports mentioned. If I could find a way to harness this strange ability, perhaps I could become even better.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.