HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 06:22 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
This is a bad situation because the longer O'Reilly remains unsigned, the less likely he is to have an impact this season.

He'll probably miss the Avalanche's first 3-5 games and be rusty his first few games back, which is a long enough stretch to make or break a team's season in this 48-game campaign.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:58 PM
BoxOfChocolates

vCash: 500
From his chat:

Adrian Dater: I'm just hearing that Avs are stubbornly sticking to their offers on ROR. That's all I have

Old
01-19-2013, 08:14 PM
failedsaucerpass

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
He'll probably miss the Avalanche's first 3-5 games and be rusty his first few games back, which is a long enough stretch to make or break a team's season in this 48-game campaign.
He is still playing in Russia, right? It's still pro hockey.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:43 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by failedsaucerpass View Post
He is still playing in Russia, right? It's still pro hockey.
doesn't the KHL use different sized rinks than the NHL?

Old
01-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
From his chat:

Adrian Dater: I'm just hearing that Avs are stubbornly sticking to their offers on ROR. That's all I have
glass half full or half empty , maybe we can say the same about Radar's camp .

Old
01-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
From his chat:

It's been what 5-6 days since those offers and we've heard from various sources that the Avs have been involved in talks with Newport.

What are they doing? Calling them up and saying "so.......did you guys change your mind on our offers?" lol

Doubtful. They might be essentially standing their ground but I doubt that they are talking about nothing.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Please sign him......

Old
01-20-2013, 12:46 AM
avsman

Rhino, Radar, Ryan if you somehow randomly come across this please sign...please... PLEASE, I'm on my knees you just can't see it.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:01 AM
BoxOfChocolates

Dater:

Quote:
I talked with Greg Sherman tonight at the game, but he doesn’t want to be quoted about O’Reilly. I can tell you this though: it’s not a happy situation, and the more the losses pile up, the uglier it’s going to get.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...istakes/12238/

Old
01-20-2013, 02:02 AM
IceRat
#BallsOnTheTable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
When was the last time Greg Sherman said anything to the media that wasn't one of his "we are pleased to add x to our team" press releases?

Must be nice to work in a market where you don't have to care about the media.
don't blame it on Sherman, he's just working off of the same recycled template handed down to him from Frankie Giguere

Old
01-20-2013, 02:28 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
That's really unfortunate, hopefully if it goes sour you guys get a good return for him. That said he's not the first RFA to hold out, just that it's a little different due to the lockout and him signing in Russia. The 2 year part from day 1 was a bit of a red flag to me it was either a bargaining ploy or he wanted out from Colorado. The latter doesn't make much sense IMO since he saw lots of ice and success last season.

01-20-2013, 03:10 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Another really good blog from Dater. I really think that layoff did him good. Some good thoughtful and rationale analysis with critique, rather than emotional reactionary comments without said thoughtful analysis. Hope it continues, and I say that as someone who has given him a fairly hard time in recent years.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:13 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Another really good blog from Dater. I really think that layoff did him good. Some good thoughtful and rationale analysis with critique, rather than emotional reactionary comments without said thoughtful analysis. Hope it continues, and I say that as someone who has given him a fairly hard time in recent years.
Agreed. It's the first time in a long time I've agreed with something Dater has written.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:17 AM
Peter The Great

It will be interesting too se if Sherman manage to find a $3 million per year player bringing more to the table than Ryan O'Reilly.

Good luck.

What people don't seem to emphasize is that we are talking about the Avs best player of last season with Lando and him matching perfectly.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:16 AM
benzino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
It will be interesting too se if Sherman manage to find a $3 million per year player bringing more to the table than Ryan O'Reilly.

Good luck.

What people don't seem to emphasize is that we are talking about the Avs best player of last season with Lando and him matching perfectly.
Having seen Landy play with Team Sweden, Djurgården and now Duchene I have to say O'Reilly does bring out the best of him.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzino View Post
Having seen Landy play with Team Sweden, Djurgården and now Duchene I have to say O'Reilly does bring out the best of him.
I can't talk about when he played in sweden because i didnt see Lando play , but you can't judge he's play with Duchene after only one game. They didnt have much practice togetter and no pre-season game. Plus they were playing with a new player, coming from a new team in PAP that didnt play at all during the lockout. So overall they had 7 days of practice to make it click togetter , that's not enough to past a judgement on weather or not it dont work with Duchene at all .

Old
01-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

It's a tricky situation for Sherman. First, you have to stand your ground against agents or they'll run you over in the future. Just look at Calgary that has to give scrubs NTCs while overpaying them just because they started giving NTCs to scrubs. Secondly, hockey players are idiot negotiators. They are too proud and competitive to look at it as pure business. They see offers as challenges and you if you put pressure on them, they make a point of not backing down.

The CBA negotiation and now this mess. Ugh. Hockey players.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:14 AM
chet1926

Well its official this has turned into a Jordan Staal type situation, although Staal never let it get to this point.

Its pretty clear that O'Reilly views himself as a top 2 line center in the league. Which in my opinion is fair because he would play top two lines on 95% of the other teams in the league. Unfortunately he plays on a team where he isn't a clear cut top 2 line center. We have 3 guys for 2 spots and its arguable who fits where.

O'Reilly situation mirrors Staal's because he knows that playing on the Avs will hurt his opportunity to "cash in". Staal had to play 3rd line minutes and lots of PK time because Malkin and Crosby were going to get the offensive minutes. Similarly Stastny and Duchene are going to be given the offensive minutes where O'Reilly is going to be asked to play the PK and more defensive situatuions. Everyone knows that defensive forwards aren't the ones that get paid, its the offensive stars that cash in. O'Reilly knows this and doesn't want to lose out on cashing in because he is forced to play this "3rd line center" role until his UFA years.

Thus I don't really think the money is the biggest issue. I think he wants a guarantee that he will either be played as a top 2 line center, which we can't guarantee or he wants to be paid like one so that even if he is used as a 3rd line center type he is still making top 2 money, which would be stupid for us because we have tons of young guys needing new contracts in the future.

Unfortunately I don't see a clear cut resolution to this. I don't think the Avs are all of a sudden going to give in and pay him near 5M per season, and I don't think O'Reilly will get sick of making money to play in Russia. The only resolution I see is a trade, but at this point I don't see it ending well for the Avs. We will have to sell for pennies on the dollar if he isn't signed. And we'll probably end up with a terrible trade similar to the Turris trade.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:21 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Well its official this has turned into a Jordan Staal type situation, although Staal never let it get to this point.

Its pretty clear that O'Reilly views himself as a top 2 line center in the league. Which in my opinion is fair because he would play top two lines on 95% of the other teams in the league. Unfortunately he plays on a team where he isn't a clear cut top 2 line center. We have 3 guys for 2 spots and its arguable who fits where.

O'Reilly situation mirrors Staal's because he knows that playing on the Avs will hurt his opportunity to "cash in". Staal had to play 3rd line minutes and lots of PK time because Malkin and Crosby were going to get the offensive minutes. Similarly Stastny and Duchene are going to be given the offensive minutes where O'Reilly is going to be asked to play the PK and more defensive situatuions. Everyone knows that defensive forwards aren't the ones that get paid, its the offensive stars that cash in. O'Reilly knows this and doesn't want to lose out on cashing in because he is forced to play this "3rd line center" role until his UFA years.

Thus I don't really think the money is the biggest issue. I think he wants a guarantee that he will either be played as a top 2 line center, which we can't guarantee or he wants to be paid like one so that even if he is used as a 3rd line center type he is still making top 2 money, which would be stupid for us because we have tons of young guys needing new contracts in the future.

Unfortunately I don't see a clear cut resolution to this. I don't think the Avs are all of a sudden going to give in and pay him near 5M per season, and I don't think O'Reilly will get sick of making money to play in Russia. The only resolution I see is a trade, but at this point I don't see it ending well for the Avs. We will have to sell for pennies on the dollar if he isn't signed. And we'll probably end up with a terrible trade similar to the Turris trade.
I don't a trade would be similar to the Turris trade. One could easily make the argument that O'Reilly is a better player than Turris.

And it's not out of the realm of possibility that if the Avs decide to trade him that there could be some sort of negotiation window for the other team and O'Reilly

Old
01-20-2013, 11:22 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

The longer this goes on, obviously, the worse the situation will get. My gut also tells me this isn't as much about money as it also is about being a top 2 center like chet mentioned. If RoR wants that, this isn't going to be resolved easily. If he thinks he's a top 2 guy and wants to also be paid like one, then it's going to end in a trade IMO.

RoR doesn't deserve more than what he's being offered. He's had a good year last season, but let's also give Landy a lot of credit for that. Before Landy, RoR was just a good defensive center with great work ethic, & so-so stats. I just get the feeling he wants to cash in on last season's results.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:23 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Personally, having watched the Avs for so many years, and especially this recent edition of the team. I think the Avs need to get a top-2 defender way more than they need O'Reilly back. The team has never really had an issue drafting or developing talented forwards, they have however had a near impossible time developing or drafting a defender capable of playing in the NHL at all.

I feel like this in an oppurtunity to get one of those types of players, with an asset that either no longer wants to play with the Avalanche, or has simply priced himself out of the Avs' plans. Either way, he is a high value player that could be turned into something that this team desperately requires.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:26 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Personally, having watched the Avs for so many years, and especially this recent edition of the team. I think the Avs need to get a top-2 defender way more than they need O'Reilly back. The team has never really had an issue drafting or developing talented forwards, they have however had a near impossible time developing or drafting a defender capable of playing in the NHL at all.

I feel like this in an oppurtunity to get one of those types of players, with an asset that either no longer wants to play with the Avalanche, or has simply priced himself out of the Avs' plans. Either way, he is a high value player that could be turned into something that this team desperately requires.
I'm starting to think that's where we may be at. RoR probably wants to play where he's a top center. He's not guaranteed that with the Avs & knows it. Otherwise, I bet he would have signed a deal by now. So, the next step may very well be a trade where the Avs try and get something they desperately need; a top 2 defenseman.

As each day passes, the more likely this ends in the Avs trading O'Reilly.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:29 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
I'm starting to think that's where we may be at. RoR probably wants to play where he's a top center. He's not guaranteed that with the Avs & knows it. Otherwise, I bet he would have signed a deal by now. So, the next step may very well be a trade where the Avs try and get something they desperately need; a top 2 defenseman.

As each day passes, the more likely this ends in the Avs trading O'Reilly.
This is the feeling that I am getting as well, this feels like an accelerated Jordan Staal situation. O'Reilly wants to play somewhere where he is guaranteed a top-6 spot (much like how Varlamov wanted to play as a number one when we got him).

I've said it before, I think we've already seen the last of O'Reilly in an Avs jersey. However, I think the Avs will hold onto his rights until either the Avs hit a big losing streak, the trade deadline or the draft, before they use him to get an asset that they can live with.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:33 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Agree with Freudian.

I will start worrying when Subban and Benn get signed.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post

They've already traded for a top-2 defender and are busy trying to develop at least one other. The price to trade for a top-2 defender is beyond steep--look at what getting EJ cost--and an unsigned Ryan O'Reilly won't yield that.

And yes, drafting/developing talented forwards is a big issue right now. Duchene's development is a big question mark right now, Wolski and Stewart are gone (it may have been for good reasons, but no one can deny both had great talent), and Hishon is still making his way back from a concussion well over a year ago. We have a lot of two-way forwards who can be counted upon to score to a certain extent, but none are really considered a scoring forward in the traditional sense, which is what we desperately need right now.

And I'd argue we don't need so much a top-two defender who can do it all (that'd be nice though) as much as an offensive defender. Not too long ago, this team sported the highest-scoring defense in the league, and as a result had one of the most potent offenses in the league period. In trying to get bigger and tougher, they unfortunately sacrificed way too much of that ability to jump into the play. Hopefully Barrie and Elliott (and maybe Siemens) deliver that offense in time.

Closed Thread