HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#01 | New Jersey Devils vs. New York Islanders | Jan 19 | L 1-2

Old
01-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Islesin93*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles1983 View Post
Let them move to Brooklyn. This team has not been worthy in a long time to play at the Coliseum. Not since the Dynasty days.
exactly

go look at my old posts, no one was more against the Brooklyn move then me

hearing the crowd at the beginning with the Booing of DP makes me want them to move to Brooklyn now

anything to get away from these fans

at least in Brooklyn you will now have suits and people who have little interest in the team

Islesin93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Andong Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by center55 View Post
We had some good play tonight two things I would like to see:

Please retire Reasoner
Please do not EVER play Crackner and Boulton in the same game ever again.

Besides that nice effort
I'll say it once and never again. Carkner and Boulton are boxers, not hockey players.

For all of the toughness narrative that they bring we lost a lot of actual production. At least Boyes showed a little something late but I still miss PA.

Andong Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:52 PM
StumpNYI

Shut JT down. Shut the team down. Good job Devils.

Nabby, Hamonic, Grabner, and Boyes put in some solid effort i thought.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:53 PM
nyscene

Not surprising with that garbage lineup. I mean, really? Strait? McDonald? Finley?

WTF were they thinking?

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Isles1983

Even the teams own fans boo DP at a home game. Pathetic.

Isles1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Isles Maineac

On the bright side, Nabby played well as usual...just hope they don't put DiPi in on Monday afternoon, or we will be a quick 0 and 2.

I liked StrAit's game, and I thought Ullstrom, Grabner, and Hammer played hungry. The rest of the crew looked to be a few steps slow (which is somewhat understandable after such a long lag). Of course Carkner and Finley looked to be several steps slow. Martinek or Hickey have to step in for Finley next game. Grabner or Ullstrom should be inserted at RW on top line to keep the spot warm for Nino next season (or hopefully later this season). Okposo simply plays with no heart, and frankly he just isn't that good. My $.02.

Isles Maineac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Until the Islanders can get some secondary scoring they will not win much. The Devils are a strong defensive team and know they only have to shut down the Tavares line to win. Liked the effort tonight from a few and I thought Strait looked good. Would like to see Martinek or Hickey in for Finley on Monday and Cizikas for Reasoner.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Well I predicted a 2-0 loss and in the end we managed to score a goal. This roster is atrocious.. How did any of you actually think we would win with the line up we have?

Half of this team wouldn't even be playing in the NHL if we were not the New York Islanders. Face reality and let int sink in sooner rather then later. I don't see why Strome or Niño were not on this team tonight. They could not have done much worse.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:55 PM
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!

sloppy game, you can def tell who's been playing, and who hasn't. Streit, Hamonic, Nabokov, jt, ullstrom, grabner, all looked good, but the rest didnt look so good.

im pissed we lost, but im not as disappointed as i have been in the past. its game one--granted its a half season and time is short--so im not gunna freak out yet, but if it becomes a trend, than ill be penciling us in for #1 draft pick. besides, the rags lost also, so it doesn't sting as bad.

this team was completely different, i was seeing numbers that i relate to former crap players, ie 24 (is that staios out there???) 10( mottau is still on this team?!?!) i dont know what to think about these new guys because i really dont know much about them. i mean i read a little about them, but i dont know how they play. finley? strait??? who are these guys? Are they better than the likes of gervais, staios, mottau, reese? if they are, than that alone is an improvement

Last edited by bigtim1988: 01-19-2013 at 09:05 PM.
bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JTROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
I have no problem with the way the Isles played tonight. Look at how the Devils scored, a goal off a great pass from one of the top players in the game, and the other was where our goalie looked screened by one of our new defensemen. And we had some pretty good chances, Boyes and Grabner especially looked good out there. The point I'm trying to make is that our fans are complaining about how they expected this to happen and a 0-48 season, we not only hung around with them, it looks like for the most part we played better as the game went along. Theres so many positives to take out of tonight's game and people are overlooking them because we lost the first game of the season.
You had no problems with the fact that we could not connect on 2 straight passes, basically the entire night? No problem with 10 SOG after 2 periods, playing in their home opener? I am really not trying to be overly negative-- obviously, its just one game--- but the major probs form last year still seem to exist-- JT is on an island--- the defense (especially in their own zone) is not good, and the team is not physical enough, especially playing in the East-

JTROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Isles felt the loss of Parenteau tonight. I expect that to continue through the year. Hopefully Bailey and Joensuu will be able to help.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles1983 View Post
Even the teams own fans boo DP at a home game. Pathetic.
I am glad they booed him.. I would have also if I was there. I can't wait till he plays and gives up 4 goals in 20 minutes.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Isles1983

I wont be expecting us to be in the playoffs again this year. You know why I get so mad and aggravated? Because its like they dont even try. Its not like they are out there playing their all and trying. Then I would be happy that even though they lost they were at least trying. This team plays like they dont give a ****.

Isles1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:57 PM
steveat

I don't think Aucoin played that bad...

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Islander Prophet

Team looked flat in general. Tavares-Moulson-Okposo were not present at all and the offence was not productive.

Need a better effort on Monday or this season could go back real quick

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:00 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Also I was very impressed by Brian Strait tonight. That's it, really.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
JTROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Fire Cappy, get rid of Aucoin and Reasoner, it's either Carkner or Finley each game, not both of them. Bring up Nino and Nelson and get Bailey back soon........... and oh yeah, drop Okposo down to the third line with Neilsen and Grabner.. and get Viz in here!!!

Since it's a short season, I thought I'd speed up the obvious moves...

Moulson Tavares Boyes

Bailey Nelson Nino

Grabner Neilsen Okposo

Martin Cizikas Ullstrom

4 rock solid lines!!!!

Viznovsky Hamonic

Streit MacDonald

Hickey Carkner

Strait plays until Viz gets here.

Done....... ready for game two!!
Agree with almost everything you say, but Aucoin played a very good game !!

Old
SaintTavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROCKS View Post
You had no problems with the fact that we could not connect on 2 straight passes, basically the entire night? No problem with 10 SOG after 2 periods, playing in their home opener? I am really not trying to be overly negative-- obviously, its just one game--- but the major probs form last year still seem to exist-- JT is on an island--- the defense (especially in their own zone) is not good, and the team is not physical enough, especially playing in the East-
No, i dont have a problem after watching ONE game, because like I said, I liked what I saw. now everyone is looking for something different when they watch sports, but for me, guys like hamonic, boyes, grabner, nabokov, ullstrom, and martin, among some others, all impressed me and various points throughout the night. Guys like JT, Moulson, and Streit, im not worried about because they have proven track records. And of course there were negative aspects of the game i took away, but my post isnt really directed at the fans who are saying they didnt look great tonight, its at the ones who are saying we look like we'll go winless this year and are basically giving up on this team after an opener.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:02 PM
blinkman360
Norris

I liked Aucoin and Strait, although I'd rather see Aucoin as the 4C and Reasoner gone/scratched. Would rather see Strait replace Finley with Carkner and give Martinek a shot on that Streit pairing(why didn't he play tonight? Anyone know the reasoning?).

They played Tavares pretty perfectly. They knew he was the only one on that line who could actually enter the zone with the puck and they swarmed him. Moulson is all about dump and chase and Okposo generally seems to fumble and lose the puck when he tries. They did a good job shutting them down.

Grabner really impressed. Had a lot of jump in his game and looks like he's motivated to have a bounce back year.

Hammer and A-Mac were solid, as usual. Good to see Hamonic score. Looking to see if he is capable of putting up the offensive numbers to go with the solid defensive game.

Other than that, this was about what I expected. I thought Boyes was OK. Showed some flashes but also had some gaffs. Ullstrom looked good. I expected that though. Big kid with skill who works extremely hard. Finley was pretty bad. Streit honestly looked pretty bad too, especially considering he was playing competitively through the lockout. McDonald was virtually invisible. Still have no reason why he's on this team.

Nabokov was awesome, and the main reason why this game wasn't a lot worse on the scoresheet.

Obviously this is just one game, and you'd like to see if they shake some of the rust and get some of that chemistry back, but unless some things change lineup-wise I think this team will have a hard time scoring throughout the year. My hope is they promote Nino before waiting too long. Especially considering how weak the forcheck looks. Kid's a big body who likes to get involved physically(unlike some other big body on this team) who, most importantly, can put the puck in the net.

Let's hope they have a little more jump on Monday.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:07 PM
JTROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
No, i dont have a problem after watching ONE game, because like I said, I liked what I saw. now everyone is looking for something different when they watch sports, but for me, guys like hamonic, boyes, grabner, nabokov, ullstrom, and martin, among some others, all impressed me and various points throughout the night. Guys like JT, Moulson, and Streit, im not worried about because they have proven track records. And of course there were negative aspects of the game i took away, but my post isnt really directed at the fans who are saying they didnt look great tonight, its at the ones who are saying we look like we'll go winless this year and are basically giving up on this team after an opener.
Fair enough--- (although, I respectfully disagree with you about Streit--- I think hes terrible)

But honestly--- I understand its ONE game, but with this current roster, you honestly think things are going to be much better after 10 or 20 games?

Old
01-19-2013, 09:12 PM
SaintTavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROCKS View Post
Fair enough--- (although, I respectfully disagree with you about Streit--- I think hes terrible)

But honestly--- I understand its ONE game, but with this current roster, you honestly think things are going to be much better after 10 or 20 games?
Lets not forget, we're missing Bailey, who killed it on the wing last year, have yet to see what Hickey can do, and if Nabby can hold up like this for a short season, then yes, i can't see us finishing with a top 5 pick again, which is saying something at least.

As for Streit, I dont think theres any grey area when it comes to him and fans. Personally, im grateful for him coming, but he is one of the most offensively skilled d-men in the league. Thats just my opinion of him.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:14 PM
JTforPres2012

Plain and simple, this team is not going to win games when you reach 10 shots with a minute left in the second period, you're just not going to.

I thought Aucoin was very impressive, I thought Grabner was great in the second and non-existent after that. Boyes had one nice play in the whole game and besides that seemed invisible. Reasoner is just god awful. His icing of the puck led to the Devils first goal and he was just useless. I was next to his sister in warmups and was very tempted to say something to her.

Aside from that, I have not hear the Coliseum that loud in forever after the Isles scored. The old barn was rocking but then with all that momentum to let up a goal a minute later is just pathetic.

Heard this stat: 2 and 15 in their last 17 openers...unbelievable.

Here's to another long season.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:15 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I am glad they booed him.. I would have also if I was there. I can't wait till he plays and gives up 4 goals in 20 minutes.
You're a real sweetheart.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:16 PM
JTforPres2012

Also thought Hammer was by far the best player for the Isles tonight. If I recall correctly, he had 3 clearances on one PK himself.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:17 PM
JTROCKS

Wow, took a whole game for Torts to get surly with the media--- shocking !!!
jerk !