HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Flyers - HOCKEY IS BACK!

Old
01-19-2013, 08:18 PM
aSockalypse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
I think most here can agree with you but I don't see the Tangradi should play as "hype." At some point, a prospect needs some extended game time without looking over his shoulder to see if he can step up and play. (See most of the Philly youngsters last year... they had very horrible stretches in the middle of the year) I'm pretty sure it's a make or break YEAR for him.

Who do we think is coming up from the WBS? BB is not ready at all. You could tell from the scrimmage. One play does not make you a full-time NHL'r. Who then? J Smegma? KV? I've complained that we should have traded to get another high end LW/RW prospect. Why? We only have BB...

Next up... Trade but it takes TWO to Tango.
I got flamed earlier for calling ET's season a trial (make it or break it) ((again sorry for judging him off one game)).

Didn't get a chance to watch the scrimmage, so I wouldn't know. Heard praise for Megna though, not sure what he brings to the table.

aSockalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:23 PM
sexyllama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
When you trade a prospect under this CBA framework you're giving up multiple years of an asset at less than it's true value. In the cap era those guys are worth their weight in gold and in fact it seems the best formula to build a team good enough to win the Cup is to have several guys significantly outperforming ELCs or RFA deals. Under that system these young guys with good upside have immense value potential. You don't give them up lightly for a two month rental.

You can gladly part with Harrington or Maatta, but I doubt they would be the centerpiece in a deal to land you the big fish. You're probably talking Morrow or Pouliot which would be much harder to do. And imo Bennett is untouchable, can't give up our only viable wing prospect.
Exactly, we can't call up what we don't have. If we can't land a big fish, I'd love to get another viable TOP 6 Wing prospect.

Does anyone really think we can get a young high end wing like B. Ryan for Kunitz, Morrow, and 1st? I personally think they'd want more.

sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Exactly, we can't call up what we don't have. If we can't land a big fish, I'd love to get another viable TOP 6 Wing prospect.

Does anyone really think we can get a young high end wing like B. Ryan for Kunitz, Morrow, and 1st? I personally think they'd want more.
that's why most of us are looking to get guys like Clowe, Kulemin or Malone. We don't need elite wings. We just need good wings.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

Swap Kunitz with Sutter and maybe.

Ducks need pivots.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:33 PM
sexyllama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Swap Kunitz with Sutter and maybe.

Ducks need pivots.
And that is a hefty hefty price to pay- Sutter, Morrow, and our 1st.

Same thing for Kulemin- I think he's Toronto's 2nd Line RW. Again, what the cost and what do they have to replace him? Kunitz and our 1st?

Since it's a 48 game sprint, I think most GMs are going to be inclined to stand pat on what they have unless you start 1-15 or we overpay...

Old
01-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Dupree13

Kunitz? What the hell would any deadline seller want with Kunitz. His only trade value is as an additional piece to a deadline buyer which obviously doesn't fit with what we're trying to do.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Kunitz? What the hell would any deadline seller want with Kunitz. His only trade value is as an additional piece to a deadline buyer which obviously doesn't fit with what we're trying to do.
and to top it off, why would we want to move kunitz?

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
and to top it off, why would we want to move kunitz?
Because he had one "bad" game.

Must.Get.Rid.Of.Him.Now.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:47 PM
sexyllama

Quote:
I'm not the one calling for a trade after one game. Everyone says "we need a wing" and I'm wondering what wing and what you think THE OTHER TEAM wants for that wing... I constantly see:

Let's trade for a Good Wing using Lovejoy & TK

Old
01-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
I'm not the one calling for a trade after one game. Everyone says "we need a wing" and I'm wondering what wing and what you think THE OTHER TEAM wants for that wing... I constantly see:

Let's trade for a Good Wing using Lovejoy & TK
For a rental like Iginla I think it starts with a 1st and a top five prospect of our system, and probably a lesser piece or two. Similar to the Hossa price tag.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
For a rental like Iginla I think it starts with a 1st and a top five prospect of our system, and probably a lesser piece or two. Similar to the Hossa price tag.
Good young and established NHLer, top prospect and a first (in a deep draft).

99% sure that will be the price.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Dangles78

Quote:

Why?

Hossa was significantly younger at the time he was on the block. Iggy isn't a level above Hossa. He should not garner more than Hossa did (at the time of the trade).

1st + A/B prospect is all a GM should logically give, but the market may drive the price up.

Calgary needs a center and they want youth. If we are going by Jiggy's proposition: Jeffrey+Morrow+2013 1st round pick is basically what he is stating.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:00 PM
NastyNick

The Flyers powerplay looked lost without Jagr and Briere. People have seriously overrated what Giroux brings to the team. He needs help. I figure they'll have it worked out the next time they play us.

Otherwise the game would have looked like the playoffs. I'm happy the Pens won, but they still have work to do to get better.

Right now i think the guys who had good games were all at the bottom of the roster.
Adams, Martin, Sutter, Kennedy. Despres and Tangradi did ok

Otherwise Meh...

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:01 PM
edog37

+++++ Sutter. Finally, we get a decent Sutter in the mix (Richie sucked)! Anyway, this kid brought it & brought it often. I've always been a huge Staal fan, but we certainly got good return on the trade.

+++++ MAF. Held the fort & stayed strong. Made some gaffs behind the net, but otherwise, played solid. Worked on the fundamentals during the break, & improved his technique. Kept us in the game when they were being outplayed during stretches in the 2nd period.

+++ 3rd line/PK. They effectively shut down the lethal Flyers PP. The Sutter/Cooke matching was exceptional, disrupting the play & covering the zone effectively.

+ Martin. Played well, but his net front presence in our zone still sucks. I realize he will never be a bruiser, but at the very least, please quit being a liability in our zone. That being said, he did play well. Moved the puck efficiently & jumped up when needed.

- Sid. Did he even dress? I expected him to fly out of the gate, but he was largely a non-factor.

- Geno. Slightly better than Sid, but was largely a non-factor as well.

+/- Tangradi. Took the body, but his defensive zone coverage left a lot to be desired. He could play a pivotal role on the Malkin/Neal line, but he needs to show more.

Overall, good character win. Came flying right out & took the play to the Flyers. Got sloppy & flat footed in the second, but MAF bailed them out.
Overall,

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Dupree13

Quote:

Well, I'm pretty sure we don't have that to spare. TK but that's a stretch.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
Why?

Hossa was significantly younger at the time he was on the block. Iggy isn't a level above Hossa. He should not garner more than Hossa did (at the time of the trade).

1st + A/B prospect is all a GM should logically give, but the market may drive the price up.

Calgary needs a center and they want youth. If we are going by Jiggy's proposition: Jeffrey+Morrow+2013 1st round pick is basically what he is stating.
Feaster doesn't want to trade Iggy and Iggy is loyal to the Flames.

Hossa everyone knew was walking and Waddell was forced to move him.

Again it is a trade that will hurt... Sutter + Morrow/DP + 1st

This is the face of the Flames franchise who has had 13 30+ goal seasons in a row and has several elite years left.

He will not come cheap. Shero will have to make Feaster an offer he can't refuse to convince him it is worth moving Iggy.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Pretty surprised by both teams, great tempo. Fleury was really great today. Martin as well, if they keep it up we will be fine

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:17 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
The Flyers powerplay looked lost without Jagr and Briere. People have seriously overrated what Giroux brings to the team.
Wow, couldn't disagree more. Giroux on the left-hand boards is scary as ****. They had a tap-in goal if Simmonds would have capitalized.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:17 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Tangradi is from North America & likes to hit so he isn't this boards ideal winger. Our ideal winger needs to be Russian, soft, & considered a sniper by EA sports. Everything else is unacceptable.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Tangradi is from North America & likes to hit so he isn't this boards ideal winger. Our ideal winger needs to be Russian, soft, & considered a sniper by EA sports. Everything else is unacceptable.
So our ideal winger should be a guy who can't skate, shoot, or pass? Tangradi can hit I guess...if he can actually catch the player he's trying to hit, which is rare.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
the ****? is that why everyone and his brother is advocating a trade for Iginla, Clowe, Malone, B. Morrow, ect? is that why everyone on this board drools all over Backes and Oshie when we play the Blues?

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:35 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
So our ideal winger should be a guy who can't skate, shoot, or pass? Tangradi can hit I guess...if he can actually catch the player he's trying to hit, which is rare.
Oh so you haven't actually seen him play before? Because he was looking pretty fast out there today. Especially for a guy his size.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Shady Machine

Unrelated, but watching Jags and Whitney on the PP in Dallas is a treat. 4 points for Jagr tonight.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:36 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Just wondering why I keep seeing Sutters name brought up in trades. Do some of you really think Shero is going to trade Staal to the Canes for Sutter, then trade him in the same year?

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Oh so you haven't actually seen him play before? Because he was looking pretty fast out there today. Especially for a guy his size.
Yeah what a ridiculous post. Tangradi was skating very well today.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote