HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals @ Lightning. 1.19.13. 7PM

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 09:52 PM
HTFN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
If pessimistic posts bring you down, maybe the Internet isn't your thing...
they don't bring me down, I just don't understand it. Like the Johansson thing. I get that he's not the type of player some people want, maybe a little too perimeter, but he's got an NHL skill set, and in my opinion, brain. He was a very solid defensive player who let his instinct show, and everyone was pretty much on the same page in that he had good ones. Call me crazy, but I'm not giving up hope on a guy with tools like that, who has yet to even finish his ELC, let alone enter his prime, and as a fan of the team I would expect that to be the default reaction, not the minority.

That's not the only reason or anything, but it's a really recent one. It doesn't seem like most, or even half of Oilers fans are giving up on Paajarvi-Svensson, or even Gagner (though I'm more inclined to call that painful optimism), and he (MPS) only wishes he could be in Johansson's skates right now.

There were a lot of high points tonight for me. The fact that most of them happened in the first period makes them harder to remember post-loss, but they exist. The PP already looks better than last year's, the 1-3-1 looks like a plus (hah), and it was a generally enjoyable first half. There was a lot of rust, it looked like Holtby was giving up before the puck was even in the net half the time, and they still looked decent in the new system when they looked like they were playing it. I got the impression that there was a lot of thinking going on, and that when players were reacting, it was more falling back on Hunter Habits than the new ones, so I expect things to change. I'd just rather focus on what can and probably will, or at least hope that it does, as opposed to sulking.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Obviously Oates has barely had time to install anything. Things certainly may get a lot better. But our old habits are clearly on display. Difficulty clearing the zone, poor puck movement (especially on the PP), terrible board play, etc.

Watching OV tonight, it is pretty obvious to me that last season was not an aberration, but rather what we can expect from him from here on. I don't know how it happened, whether lack of motivation, lack of performance enhancers, league figuring him out, or what...but I consider this season and probably next season as rebuilding years until the Kuznetsov amd Forsberg era. OV is merely a piece, a role player.
I've been patient and trying to stay positive.
However, I'm beginning to seriously wonder if the partying, and all other possible reasons have caught up w/him. How to you go from 2X MVP to just very good-good.

I know he's not as protected and favored as some (El Syd is a prime example), just can't or don't want to believe he'll never be a 50G scorer (in a full season) again

Old
01-19-2013, 10:03 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I agree our S2S passing is lame. We dont get into lanes. But at least we seem to crash the net.

While our PP showed some life early, its where I expect to see Grade A passing. While I dont always expect it from Ovi, I expect Grade A passes are getting to him.

Watching Ovi, he was largely behind 2 defenders when Nick had the puck. Green didnt look Ovi's way enough. I dunno. but Green and Nick just dont whip passes. MJ the same. Brouwer did some hard passing last year but it faded.

I want to see Ribs promoted to PP1 if we can't score anytime soon.
That was my biggest, maybe only complaint about the PP tonight. I like the setup, I like the personnel in it, with the shifty puck retrievers (and I thought that of all people, Wolski did a really good job tonight when it came to getting in the corners, or on retrieval. Even when he knew he didn't have the step to get there first, he made more of an effort than most tonight), but it reeked of players that know where they're supposed to be, but don't feel it organically yet.

I like that the new setup changes the way the ice is divided, because I think that one of the most noticeable changes between this year and last is that tonight on the PP, there were consistently two Capitals within 10 feet of puck pressure. I can only hope that as they get into a rhythm with each other, the movement will open up and guys will be able to feel what's coming next.

That's what set the Lightning PP apart, was that when they fed the puck to St. Louis or whoever, you could tell that from the minute the pass was delivered, they weren't thinking about the next step because St. Louis already had, and the Lightning players were reading where they thought they needed to be AFTER St. Louis distributed the puck. That's why Tampa walked all over us with the one touch passing, because in a 1-2-3-4 progression, it seemed like Tampa's off-puck players skipped from 1 to 3, taking it on faith that 2 (St. Louis) would find an open option.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:03 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
I've always had a soft spot for our youngsters, that endless optimism that there is something there. But even I have to agree that he hasn't yet become a man and I'm not sure if he will. He either needs to pick up the physicality or be a wiz with the puck, and I've seen neither. But I'll give him more than one game, besides I'm not sure what we would get in return for him.
But it's not just one game. It's year 3. Nothing is showing he is progressing. The longer you wait the less value he brings. I'm all for moving him while he has some value and I'm not even sure he has that anymore regardless. How many more years of Ovi and Backstrom are they willing to waste? What completely blows my mind is how you FINALY bring in a legit 2C only to let his scoring threat on that line walk.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:04 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
John Carlson with long hair and Green with a tattoo on the back of his left hand?

Also, I know this is just the 1st game, but the Defense was below average tonight. A lot of pylon from the usual suspects and it seemed they infected their partners.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:06 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
That's pretty much what I got too. The team has had its occasional hitter, usually Ovechkin and one other forward, maybe Erskine if he's in, Jurcina used to finish people semi-consistently, but as a team it's like watching a bunch of Bouwmeesters. They almost seem to want to give people extra time with the puck to make a decision so that they don't have to close into physical range.

The days of having a roster that, at the least, was big enough to not seem dominated is over.
Completely agree. The Wilson era can not being soon enough.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Watching Ovi, he was largely behind 2 defenders when Nick had the puck. Green didnt look Ovi's way enough. I dunno. but Green and Nick just dont whip passes. MJ the same. Brouwer did some hard passing last year but it faded.

I want to see Ribs promoted to PP1 if we can't score anytime soon.
Yeah, this is kind of an odd wrinkle to the 1-3-1 PP. The way it's supposed to work, the left handed center on the right side is basically the QB. All the players down the middle are oriented with him in mind - you've got the right handed D at the point as the outlet pass and the left handed winger down low, who are oriented to be able to catch passes on their forehands away from the defenders. Then there's the right handed winger in the middle so that he can take a quick pass and turn it into a one-timer. But when the puck goes to Ovechkin on the other side, all those players get flipped and they all have to use their backhands, and it messes up the flow of the PP. So the puck doesn't get to that player very much - if the set up is in place and working properly, he's basically there for the rare cross ice pass, the back door pass from the lefty down low, or to put in a rebound. And that's not a whole lot of responsibilities, especially considering he's Alex ****ing Ovechkin. I don't know how he's gonna become a factor on the PP when his designed part is so small. That said, Stamkos plays that spot on Tampa's PP, so who knows.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Shrug. They're still boring.

And flat. It's the core's team and...the bloom is off.
I'm having a hard time getting past this too. The core, with or without Semin, just doesn't look like it used to, and it's not about coaching. Starting with 8, 52, 19... they carry the team or it goes nowhere. I don't know if it's desire or ability anymore or both, but that's the issue.

They look, well, old. Not ancient, but past their prime.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:18 PM
HTFN

That last post just reminded me how long it's been since I saw Ovechkin get a good one-timer off.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:34 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
That last post just reminded me how long it's been since I saw Ovechkin get a good one-timer off.
Or for those that watched him in the KHL, few weeks ago...

But no, Ovechkin sucks, this team sucks. All because we lost the first game.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:49 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Ovechkin: 23.5 min 0 goals / 0 assists / 0 points
Green: 26.5 min 0 goals / 0 assists / 0 points
Backstrom: 19.5 min 0 goals / 0 assists / 0 points

Noticed Move(s): Ribeiro. Enjoyed watching him play for Dallas. Glad he's a Cap.
Unnoticed Move: Hamrlik's poke check that led to the 3rd Caps' goal.

Noticed Feat: Wards' two goals. Congrats to him.
Unnoticed Feat: Hamrlik starting his 20th season against the team starting their 20th season and where Hamrlik began his journey through the NHL. Congrats to him - he looked incredibly honored.

Dinwit of the Night: Matt Hendricks joking around with about 5 minutes left, then promptly took a penalty that led to a Bolt goal.
Hustle of the Night: Matt Hendricks shorthanded I believe. Thought he was going to draw a penalty.

Disappointment of the Night: see the beginning of this post. I know there's rust - for everyone - but do those three have what it takes to turn the corner?
More Disappointment: aside from Carlson and Alzner the D was a shambles. Everything too new and jumbled for them. No consistency in the pairings. Some guys playing both sides and too much rearranging. I understand Oates' reasoning but I don't like 7 D for that reason.

Penalty Kill: yikes
Powerplay: yikes @ 2

Other than that it was fun. LOL

Old
01-19-2013, 10:51 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Or for those that watched him in the KHL, few weeks ago...

But no, Ovechkin sucks, this team sucks. All because we lost the first game.
You read, right? I heard you were Liberation, so I'm crossing my fingers. Point is, the last two pages is full of me saying exactly the opposite, why would I jump ship? There's not really a lot of denying that it's been a long time since he's had the open ice and passing lane, and let's be honest, he chunked more than he made contact with last year.

I'm not saying it can't come back, and I have high hopes that Oates will be able to coach this team, especially off-puck, to get that back, but where did you get D&G out of that?

Old
01-19-2013, 10:56 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

So, should we play Mackinnon with Ovechkin right away, or bring him along slowly?

Old
01-19-2013, 11:08 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
So, should we play Mackinnon with Ovechkin right away, or bring him along slowly?
Don't be dumb. We're taking Jones and trading Alzner.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Halpysback*

Seriously though, our team is bad and we should feel bad.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Seriously though, our team is bad and we should feel bad.
Don't steal my line man.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:38 PM
HTFN

I turned on Ducks/Canucks, took like 30 seconds to see the Ducks spring more odd-man rushes than we had all night. You can call that one doom and gloom.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:40 PM
thejester

They looked really rusty, and that's basically it. Not crisp enough passing in the zone and one spilled puck away from total meltdown in defence. Biggest frustration for me was Backstrom, just had no influence on the game. Ovi at least worked hard and actually took some defensive responsibility. On the plus side Riberio looked good, and Ward justified some extra minutes. But the fact the D looked so rubbish is a littl demoralising.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Acallabeth
Get well soon Octopi

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
The biggest thing that bothers me is how slow-thinking and slow-passing our forwards and PP units are. Just watch the tic-tac-toe Ducks goal tonight... I can't believe these guys can't open themselves and make a couple of quick passes - this is what Backstrom, Johansson and Green were drafted for. Ovechkin, as we all saw in the KHL, still has all his skills.

Let's give them 4-5 games at least to judge.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:46 PM
HTFN

Only 4-5? I basically threw away all expectations for the first 10-15 games of the season.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Acallabeth
Get well soon Octopi

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
I'd start to worry after 4-5 games with no lapses of future. Short season!

Old
01-20-2013, 12:07 AM
WcRoenick97

I understand Oates is still putting in his system, but holy ****, that is the most disjointed Caps team I've seen in a long, long time. Nothing about that game was pretty. I'd rather watch Hunter Hockey instead of that garbage. They'll get their **** together though, but wow what a terrible opener.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:10 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

So to sum up the Oates presser....

We're out of shape and learning the system, but we tried hard.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:14 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Going to take more than a week to get used to a new coaching staff and system so I hold out hope things will improve on offense as the season moves along. Unfortunetly with the season only 48 games long by the time the Boys figure things out it will be to late.

New coaching staff or not, the blue liners outside Mullet Carlson and Alzner are un-inspiring.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:15 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WcRoenick97 View Post
I understand Oates is still putting in his system, but holy ****, that is the most disjointed Caps team I've seen in a long, long time. Nothing about that game was pretty. I'd rather watch Hunter Hockey instead of that garbage. They'll get their **** together though, but wow what a terrible opener.
Ward was.

Closed Thread