HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Johansen

Old
01-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Um, shortened season. Three guys who have played together in Springfield and are in mid-season form. Don't appreciate the "wet dream" reference.
They played on the same team, but not on the same lines. Atkinson, for example, spent most of his time with JAM and Drazenovic.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:36 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Kay, the Jackets should be 8-4 after their first 12 games, if only Rock and Roll part two was still legal in Nationwide I might say it's possible....
This makes no sense at all. It has nothing to do with the game shape of Prospal. Johansen is playing tonight. Hockey is back. I'm happy.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:20 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Played amazingly tonight

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Played amazingly tonight
2:20 to go in OT. Defensive draw coming up. Who does Richards put out there? Johansen and Prospal. That's confidence.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:29 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
2:20 to go in OT. Defensive draw coming up. Who does Richards put out there? Johansen and Prospal. That's confidence.
He was solid all night on the draws and was a consistent offensive threat.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
He was solid all night on the draws and was a consistent offensive threat.
I expected more, but was happy with what I saw. Hopefully Richards keeps Foligno and Prospal with him.

What I'm dreading is that Foligno could get promoted to the 2nd line and Johansen will be forced to play with Dorsett.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I expected more, but was happy with what I saw. Hopefully Richards keeps Foligno and Prospal with him.

What I'm dreading is that Foligno could get promoted to the 2nd line and Johansen will be forced to play with Dorsett.
I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Johansen thrived with Brad Ross on his wing in Portland. I see the concern though.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

I have been critical of Joey, but thought he looked like he belonged last night. When I saw him at training camp, he was noticeably bigger and that's encouraging.

Some people who know hockey better than me have said Johansen "looks" like he's floating because of his size, skating style, and build. Kind of like Nash.

What I noticed last night is he appeared more confident and engaged. It's just the first game, but I hope he continues to change my mind.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:23 AM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

I do think Johansen has the style of game that makes it appear like he isn't trying hard when he really is.

I do think Todd Richards is a good coach to match with Johansen if he really is dogging it on the ice.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:44 AM
alphafox

The most encouraging sign from last night, at least for me, was his decision making. Last year the game just looked too fast for him, he would hold the puck to long or make ill advised passes through traffic. Last night he looked like he was reading the play well which is a big step. Combine that with his improved physical condition and I think he can definitely grow alot this season.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Stretch Factor

6 minutes into watching the Buffalo/Phila game on NBC and I would trade Ryan Johanson for Mark Foligno straight up right now.

I'd love to see the two Folignos on the same line. Hard working, sandpaper, with skill. That's the identity I'd like to see from the CBJ.

Edit-This is not meant to be a negative post about RyJo. It's meant to show how much I believe Mark Foligno would be awesome for us.

Last edited by Stretch Factor: 01-20-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
6 minutes into watching the Buffalo/Phila game on NBC and I would trade Ryan Johanson for Mark Foligno straight up right now.

I'd love to see the two Folignos on the same line. Hard working, sandpaper, with skill. That's the identity I'd like to see from the CBJ.

Edit-This is not meant to be a negative post about RyJo. It's meant to show how much I believe Mark Foligno would be awesome for us.
Not a fan of overpaying for a guy just because we have his brother on the team. See: Philly trading for Luke Schenn.

If we were to go after Marcus Foligno that would be fine, if we were looking to add another second/third line tweener player. Giving up one of our only potential 1st line players - in the entire system - to get him, would hopefully be enough to get Scott Howson sent packing. And I don't dislike Scott Howson.

I thought Ryan Johansen was excellent last night. We have to remember that he's still a kid, but to see him using his size and working as hard as he did last night is a great sign. With his vision, quick hands, and that added weight, this guy is starting to show the potential that got him drafted 4th overall. Very good to see.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Not a fan of overpaying for a guy just because we have his brother on the team. See: Philly trading for Luke Schenn.

If we were to go after Marcus Foligno that would be fine, if we were looking to add another second/third line tweener player. Giving up one of our only potential 1st line players - in the entire system - to get him, would hopefully be enough to get Scott Howson sent packing. And I don't dislike Scott Howson.

I thought Ryan Johansen was excellent last night. We have to remember that he's still a kid, but to see him using his size and working as hard as he did last night is a great sign. With his vision, quick hands, and that added weight, this guy is starting to show the potential that got him drafted 4th overall. Very good to see.
I thought he was good last night as well. Not great, not bad, but pretty consistently good. Really looking forward to the day that he is able to center better players.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Stretch Factor

I don't think Johanson is going to be a top line player. I think he is going to be a 2nd line power forward, which is still very valuable (think Umberger). I'd trade that for Foligno, not just because his brother is on the team, but because I think he'll be a better 2nd line power forward than Johan.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:28 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
I don't think Johanson is going to be a top line player. I think he is going to be a 2nd line power forward, which is still very valuable (think Umberger). I'd trade that for Foligno, not just because his brother is on the team, but because I think he'll be a better 2nd line power forward than Johan.
We already have a Foligno in Foligno. Why do we need two of the same players? Johansen is valuable and needed here. No thanks.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
I still believe he can be a first line player. I'm not saying he will, but I think he can. We can agree to disagree here.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:51 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
I remember when I first learned of Johansen in juniors. I read that he was thought to be NHL material but not a consistent top 6 player. Then closer to the draft (and through the draft) he was referred to as an NHL 2nd line center. I don't remember when the switch happened when he was commonly referred to as a top 1st line center, but maybe that was one step too far. I guess I don't really have a point in posting this other than who knows where Johansen will eventually settle. So much of early NHL career has been built around hype and potential and draft position. I hope he can one day be a top line center, but I've only realistically expected him to be the future second line center.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Stretch Factor

There is an interesting book called "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell. If you haven't read it or any other Gladwell books, I highly recommend.

In sumary, Gladwell presents a theory called thin slicing. Basically, the human mind can judge an outcome within seconds of seeing a situation. These blink judgments are correct about 80% of the time. The trouble is the human mind is far too analytical to trust these blink judgments most of the time.

I've been trying to remember and write down blink judgments lately.

Now, sports blink judgments are not as accurate as other blink judgments because the situation can and will change- A player can develop or not develop, he can get injured, he can go through a coaching change, etc.

But, what I saw out of Mark Foligno in two shifts on Sunday tells me I want him on the CBJ. I do not recall ever thinking that about all the shifts I've seen out of Johan.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
But, what I saw out of Mark Foligno in two shifts on Sunday tells me I want him on the CBJ. I do not recall ever thinking that about all the shifts I've seen out of Johan.
Look harder.

There are two factors to consider.

1) I can see Johansen's mind working. I'm no scout, but I've also yet to see anyone who is say that Johansen lacks hockey IQ. I'll go further and say that, with the CBJ drafting patterns being what they are, he never would have been drafted (especially at #4 overall) if he had anything besides superlative hockey IQ.

2) It's worse in football with their media, but there's no way of knowing everyone's responsibilities on a given setup. I just know that Mrs. Bee hates watching football with me, because I'll point out that the running back flaring out of the backfield shouldn't have gone further upfield, because it was the slot receiver who half-assed his route and compacted the nearby defenders into a small area.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER

I can say that you guys, have a f'ing good player in Ryan Johansen. An about 6'3 guy who look 6'6 on the ice, awesome hockey IQ, always find a teammate on the ice. Give this guy time on ice and 1 or 2 years of experience, he will be a real leader for your team putting 55-65 consistant points.

Tarasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:10 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

I agree, but unfortunately, this is not going to be a popular opinion around here after his performance in the SO tonight.

He's a very talented player with great vision. I'd like to see that Prospal-Johansen-Atkinson line together more often.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER

SO should not be even considered to rate a good or bad player. Please.
Just look to Damian Brunner tonight for the Wings. Invisible during all the game, scores an awesome goal in SO. So what? He didn't play an awesome game because of his SO goal though.

Tarasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasenko View Post
Just look to Damian Brunner tonight for the Wings. Invisible during all the game, scores an awesome goal in SO. So what? He didn't play an awesome game because of his SO goal though.
Totally agree the guy had chance after chance. He's awful.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:20 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasenko View Post
I totally agree.

But I'm telling you, people will find ANYTHING they can to pick on this kid. Big or small.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Thought he was great again tonight. Only guy that seems to be able to skate the puck up the ice consistently.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote