HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Flyers - HOCKEY IS BACK!

Old
01-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Dangles78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Feaster doesn't want to trade Iggy and Iggy is loyal to the Flames.

Hossa everyone knew was walking and Waddell was forced to move him.

Again it is a trade that will hurt... Sutter + Morrow/DP + 1st

This is the face of the Flames franchise who has had 13 30+ goal seasons in a row and has several elite years left.

He will not come cheap. Shero will have to make Feaster an offer he can't refuse to convince him it is worth moving Iggy.
You're assuming too much.

Everyone knows that Feaster and Iggy's first priority is for the latter to stay in Calgary, but in all honesty Feaster doesn't have as much leverage as he thinks he has.

Let Feaster keep an unreasonable price tag for Iggy, which he should. Like you said, Iggy is the face of the Flames. There are better options for the Pens to "overpay" on, or test the UFA market after this year.

No way would I give Sutter+Morrow+1st for Iggy. No ******* way. Feaster can go **** himself and suffer the consequences of believing his team is a playoff contender.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:40 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure we don't have that to spare. TK but that's a stretch.
Nisky + Despres +Pouliot + TK + 1st for Iginla and Giordano and a conditional

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:41 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
the ****? is that why everyone and his brother is advocating a trade for Iginla, Clowe, Malone, B. Morrow, ect? is that why everyone on this board drools all over Backes and Oshie when we play the Blues?
Really because they two most frequent names are Kulimen & Hemsky. Despite the fact that no teams seems any bit interested in trading any of these players.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:42 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

I haven't seen Hemskys name in like two years lol

Old
01-19-2013, 09:47 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
I haven't seen Hemskys name in like two years lol
His name was thrown around a lot last season? I've even seen people suggest it after he signed the new deal.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Am I alone in thinking you could really tell Geno had been playing in the KHL, where the D isn't as good/physical and the ice is a lot bigger?

He looked solid, but he didn't look as sharp as he usually does to me.
Yeah he got used to that roller hockey KHL style. Very little stopping and starting.

- Another year... same garbage. Pens look great in the first and then like a dung heep the rest of the way. Shots are just thrown on net with no purpose and the back door is open... all the friggin time.

- I thought Orpik had a tough game. The Flyers goal was because he stepped up at the offensive blue line. I'll give him some credit for taking hits to make plays with the puck.

+ He'll never get any credit but I thought Adams played well. Saved a goal, always gives 120% and good on the PK.

+ Sutter is an absolute beast. Always in position but the unique thing is that he's always in motion too. Well schooled by his dad.

+ TK seems to have that energy back.

+ Cooke was hard on pucks and playing smart.

+ James Neal... Getting off shots, getting into the mix of things and kept his feet moving all game.

+ Not sure of the final totals but the Pens seemed to win the draws when needed.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:49 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

I know one thing.. if ever there were an opportunity to snatch Stewart from STL last year... that window has closed.

He potted two tonight and he looks like he's back to where he was before last season.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Oh so you haven't actually seen him play before? Because he was looking pretty fast out there today. Especially for a guy his size.
Yes I'm the one being hyperbolic when people consider Tangradi god's gift to hockey after he throws a successful hit or two.

Look I really want the guy to do well, but he's gonna have to do more than 4th liner crap to be a fixture in our top six. And I'm not like most of the anti Tangradi crowd who just wants to toss him out of the top six after a game. I want him on there for a while to see what he does.

But I'm not gonna act like he's a great player or has huge upside because he does something that any of our fourth liners could do. Top six players have to do more than just boardplay. Even Dupuis and Kunitz occasionally score goals or make good passes.

I hope Tangradi sticks, but my prediction is he doesn't, and Bennett or a trade finds their way on that line before season's end. I hope he proves me wrong. I'm rooting for him.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Shady Machine

We've been off the Hemsky train for a while I believe (or most of us). Kulemin would still be a decent option (I'd rather have Clowe).

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Yeah he got used to that roller hockey KHL style. Very little stopping and starting.

- Another year... same garbage. Pens look great in the first and then like a dung heep the rest of the way. Shots are just thrown on net with no purpose and the back door is open... all the friggin time.

- I thought Orpik had a tough game. The Flyers goal was because he stepped up at the offensive blue line. I'll give him some credit for taking hits to make plays with the puck.
How anyone can say that goal was on Orpik is beyond me. Should he have stepped up? Probably not but he had numbers back. Kunitz had his head up his ass on that one. All he had to do was pay attention and pick up Giroux. That goal was on Kunitz.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:53 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Yes I'm the one being hyperbolic when people consider Tangradi god's gift to hockey after he throws a successful hit or two.

Look I really want the guy to do well, but he's gonna have to do more than 4th liner crap to be a fixture in our top six. And I'm not like most of the anti Tangradi crowd who just wants to toss him out of the top six after a game. I want him on there for a while to see what he does.

But I'm not gonna act like he's a great player or has huge upside because he does something that any of our fourth liners could do. Top six players have to do more than just boardplay. Even Dupuis and Kunitz occasionally score goals or make good passes.

I hope Tangradi sticks, but my prediction is he doesn't, and Bennett or a trade finds their way on that line before season's end. I hope he proves me wrong. I'm rooting for him.
No you don't. You just said he couldn't skate which is the direct opposite of the truth. You & a small group are obsessed with seeing him fail for some reason. Most people aren't even acting like he's an elite prospect. They just want to see what we have in him because we are smart enough to realize that there is probably 2/3 of the league looking for top six forwards so developing from with in is about the only option.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:54 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post

Again, you guys need to tame your expectations a little. Not all of our prospects will pan out like Sid, Geno, and Staal. Tangradi is a young 2nd round draft pick that has less than 50 NHL games to his resumé. Until today, his entire NHL experience, outside of maybe 10-20 shifts, has been in the bottom six. Expecting a second round pick to come into this team and get shuffled around to the point he can't create chemistry with anyone and immediately produce is just unrealistic.

Tangradi will never be an all-star, but that's not what we need him to do on a line with two other all stars.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Hophog

Quote:
Just wondering why I keep seeing Sutters name brought up in trades. Do some of you really think Shero is going to trade Staal to the Canes for Sutter, then trade him in the same year?
I agree. Especially when the guy could very well be an upgrade to Staal. I admit I haven't seen very much of him but the little I've seen has been impressive. The biggest difference I've noticed so far is that Sutter plays like he cares. Staal always appeared to be relatively emotionless. I alway attributed that to him not having to pay his dues and earn a spot the traditional way. He got hot and scored a number of goals on his "try out" period and was able to stay in the bigs as a result.

It's only the first game of the season so I should probably keep my expectations and predictions in check but I watched a good bit of the Canes game tonight and Jordan was pretty mediocre. I've always been pretty hot and cold on Staal though and the only time I was really beginning to get on his bandwagon Suban stepped on his foot and put an end to it. Jordan's never really been in the spotlight and expected to produce so we'll see if he shines or wilts under the pressure but at this early stage I'm very happy with the trade and not interested in trading Sutter.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:03 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Cole, I'll make more comments later. But, did you get the impression that Geno played with the puck management and backtracking of a guy who's spent the last 4 months playing for Paul Maurice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri28 View Post
I don't agree with you about Geno, Cole.
I thought he was average overall with some good things but also some really bad play.
Sid was not much better and even had some unusual turnovers for him.

About Flower, if only he had played at this level in the last POs....
sorry to be late to the party ...

I think what we're seeing is Malkin adjusting his game. Different ice size, different tempo. There's more passing in the KHL, and also he was filling more of a playmaker role for MMg. Add in that he's already shaken off the rust while a lot of the team is in the process of ...

As for +/- ... I'm just glad we won and that we did it in their barn.

Last edited by DegenX: 01-19-2013 at 10:38 PM.
DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:05 PM
DeadGator401

Despres got knocked off the puck by smaller Flyers forwards at least 3 times. Can't have that.

Martin and orpik looked solid.

DeadGator401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Azkals

I picked Paul Martin to score the very first goal for the Pens Predictor game to win home opener tickets on the glass. "0% of fans" picked Martin so my shot at winning them was pretty good if he did score.

Anyways, Tyler Kennedy definitely didn't a get a stick on that puck. It went off of Luke Schenn. I've watched the replay at least a dozen times and I believe Paul Martin should have been credited with the first goal. Does anybody else think the same thing, or am I just crazy?

I'm still angry about this.

Azkals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
No you don't. You just said he couldn't skate which is the direct opposite of the truth. You & a small group are obsessed with seeing him fail for some reason. Most people aren't even acting like he's an elite prospect. They just want to see what we have in him because we are smart enough to realize that there is probably 2/3 of the league looking for top six forwards so developing from with in is about the only option.
He's easily the slowest forward on our team. I'm not obsessed with seeing him fail. Why the hell would I be? I'm a fan, I want the team to do well. I'd prefer Tangradi to pan out. I don't think he will.

I'm annoyed with the hype, because he hasn't done anything to deserve the praise he gets. I'll be the first to give him a plus if he has a good game. I gave Adams one today, and I was pissed he even was dressed and am not a big fan of his in general.

Quote:
Again, you guys need to tame your expectations a little. Not all of our prospects will pan out like Sid, Geno, and Staal. Tangradi is a young 2nd round draft pick that has less than 50 NHL games to his resumé. Until today, his entire NHL experience, outside of maybe 10-20 shifts, has been in the bottom six. Expecting a second round pick to come into this team and get shuffled around to the point he can't create chemistry with anyone and immediately produce is just unrealistic.

Tangradi will never be an all-star, but that's not what we need him to do on a line with two other all stars.
I'm not expecting him to be an all-star, or a big point producer. But if you're in the top six, you have to occasionally chip in. Even if it's rare. I'd be fine with like a 30 point pace and strong board play. But strong boardplay with Craig Adams level offense is not gonna cut it.

Again, I'm not being impatient here and wanting him off Malkin's line. It's been one game, I want him to get plenty more to prove himself, but i'm not gonna lie to myself and be high on him until he starts showing me some reason to think he will pan out.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:13 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Just getting a chance to watch the game now from the DVR (missed the entire game today).

Damn, Cookie is thumping people left and right. That is the Matt Cooke I wanna see.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:15 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
I picked Paul Martin to score the very first goal for the Pens Predictor game to win home opener tickets on the glass. "0% of fans" picked Martin so my shot at winning them was pretty good if he did score.

Anyways, Tyler Kennedy definitely didn't a get a stick on that puck. It went off of Luke Schenn. I've watched the replay at least a dozen times and I believe Paul Martin should have been credited with the first goal. Does anybody else think the same thing, or am I just crazy?

I'm still angry about this.
Thats how I saw it, too.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Lolnowayhaha

Great game from a flyers fan.. Good hockey, nothing dirty which shows how professional both teams are, which is good to see. Good luck the rest of the way!

Lolnowayhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:23 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

++ Martin. Yep, I hate the guy, but he's making me eat my words. He looked great out there. I haven't seen him play like that yet. Not sure why he turns his game "on" in game one of the season and "off" in Game 6 of the playoffs last year, but I regress.
++ Adams. I don't know if these players read all of the flack about them and want to get even with HF boards, but if they are, it's working. Amazing PKing
++ Sutter. I really like what I'm seeing in this fellow.

+ Neal. Good shootin tex
+ TK. If you shoot enough, something will go in
+ Geno. He may not have scored, but he looked good out there and was playing physical. It's just a matter of time...
+MAF. Made some good, athletic saves. One big mistake almost getting caught up behind the net, but kept in together.
+ Cookie. Good, physical game.

= Sid. Just looked a bit out of sync. Still had some chances, but was outplayed by others. He also drew a couple of nice penalties.

- Despres. Eh. Didn't woo me.
- Tangradi. I know people on here love him, but I didn't see it this game at all
- Jeffery. Stupid mistakes. I never really liked this guy and this spot could quickly go to someone else.

++++++ Beating the Flyers in their home opener. Wish Sid would have lit them up, but I'll take a win over them any day.

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:23 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Two periods into it, standouts for me so far, Sutter, Neal, Cooke, Martin, and Fleury.

Kunitz, so far doesn't have to worry about washing his uniform for tomorrow night.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Two periods into it, standouts for me so far, Sutter, Neal, Cooke, Martin, and Fleury.

Kunitz, so far doesn't have to worry about washing his uniform for tomorrow night.
Spot on analysis.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:30 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

I don't know, I thought Tangradi was fine. Nothing special obviously but, as MONTY26 said, people need to drop the expectations a bit. He's still a young guy getting his first real exposure to the top 6. This was a tough, physical game and offensive production wasn't exactly easy to come by(a quick glance at Crosby's stats will tell you that).

With the shortened schedule, we can't afford to give Tangradi as much time to adapt. But giving him 5-10 games to try and settle in won't kill us.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
burn.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote