HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs 2 - 1 Habs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2013, 10:34 PM
  #301
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,449
vCash: 500
It's gonna be a long season

Tuggy is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:36 PM
  #302
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
It's gonna be a long season
No actually it's not.

Craig71 is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:36 PM
  #303
JustAHabFan
Registered User
 
JustAHabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
It's gonna be a long season
No kidding. The only consolation is that Seth Jones may belong to us at the end.

JustAHabFan is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:36 PM
  #304
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
As for Galchenyuk, he was ok, didnt make any mistake and didnt look out of place.
Agreed. I'd keep him up; despite the fact that it's going to be a bumpy season. His combination of size, speed, "jump", and shot will contribute somehow this year. He's going to need an adjustment period, and I personally wouldn't care if it ended up taking slightly more than the 5 games they have to view him before making any decisions. He's ready enough, and doesn't need any golden soother approach to breaking him into the bigs.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:38 PM
  #305
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go
 
canadiensnation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,296
vCash: 500
Goaltending:
Price was solid gave the team plenty of opportunity to be within a goal or two.

Defensemen:
Tomas Kaberle got way to much ice-time and he looked bad.
Andrei Markov was alright, but you can tell his play has dipped and his speed isn't there anymore. He still has an excellent shot and great passing.
Rafael Diaz looked pretty solid to me he looked up to game speed out of all the six d-man.
Alexei Emelin was alright, again in his own zone he was bit out of place and his first pass wasn't the greatest but his physicality was good.
Josh Gorges played half decent all round, looked a little wobbly but like everyone else they just need to get back in to the speed and pace of the game.
Francis Bouillon wasn't surprised with his game but he did play solid not much to complain about.

Forwards:
Max PaciorettyLooked flat and rusty, when rushing and trying to stick-handle. It's just a matter of 2 or 3 games when he gets the pace back.
Erik ColeSpeed is there, timing is not.
David DesharnaisDefinitely was the most energized on the first line, but again the passing and timing wasn't there.
Tomas PlekanecFor him being injured or not 100% he looked pretty good. Couple of good shots.
Brian Gionta Had the most fight out of all the players and got the only goal.
Rene Bourque If you remember how he played last year....ya pretty much.
Lars Eller Not impressed looked invisible.
Travis Moen Speed, timing, accuracy, agility...everything totally off.
Alex Galchenyuk Not bad for his first game, being juggled between the 2nd and 3rd line. Had a couple of good shots and great speed.
Brandon Prust Very energized and pumped. Liked the up tempo style he brought.
Colby Armstrong Decent, didn't expect much from him.
Ryan White Still has to adjust to the center ice spot, but his game wasn't that good.

canadiensnation is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:38 PM
  #306
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
It's gonna be a long season
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
No actually it's not.


The best part is... you're both right, lol.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:38 PM
  #307
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'd rather put Gorges on the PP than Emelin. Gorges makes smart decisions with the puck, and sometimes that all you need the other guy on the point to do. Underrated for his ability to get the puck on the net, too. Again, comes from smart decisions with the puck. Gorges isn't exactly a prolific shooter, but I trust him to get pucks through the defending forwards more than I do Emelin. Sometimes that's all it takes to create chances with a man advantage.

But yeah, 'yes' to Diaz, 'no' to Bouillon. Man, even I'm surprised at how quickly I'm done with him, hahaha.
Its not that I hate Gorges on the 2nd unit PP, but in the limited time that Emelin has seen on the PP (from last year), he shows ability to complete sharp cross ice passes quickly, and possesses a better shot. He can get the PK guys to move around. Gorges is safer back there but he is limited in terms of what he can do in the offensive third of the ice.

Hackett is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:38 PM
  #308
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
No actually it's not.
Well I guess technically not

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
No kidding. The only consolation is that Seth Jones may belong to us at the end.
Yup. He will be ours.

Tuggy is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:39 PM
  #309
DumFries
Registered User
 
DumFries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Shawinigan
Country: Canada
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
It's the first of game of a shorten season. The training camp was only 6 days with no exhibition game to evaluate the players.

Both teams played bad tonight. The Leafs had a better execution and were opportunistic on the PP. That icing the goalie call on Plekanec was brutal but the refs adjusted themselves afterwards by giving multiple chances to the Habs to come back in the game. The Habs were horrible on the PP. Kaberle was sleeping! Diaz wasn't better. I don't think having PK would of made a difference.

Markov was decent. Although, I am worried. It took him some time to get up after a bodycheck. Galchenuyk was decent.

Bouillon was terrible at times. Patches seemed uninterested sometimes. There is a lot of work to be done with this team. The execution and passing is atrocious and the game plan is not respected.

I hope Therrien will bring some adjustments and made a good evaluation of the current roster or else this team left off where it was last season.

The good news: another Galchenuyk gets drafted by the Habs this summer.

DumFries is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:41 PM
  #310
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Well I guess technically not



Yup. He will be ours.
We will lose the lottery.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:42 PM
  #311
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We will lose the lottery.
Maybe but if tonight is any indication, this team is trending towards a top 3 pick again.

Tuggy is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:42 PM
  #312
FireBergevin
Penultimate warrior
 
FireBergevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 500
On the bright side, at least it wasn't the Bruins. They'd have scored 10.

If Seth Jones is destined to be a Hab, so be it. As much as you can attribute tonight to rink rust, the D showed it was every bit as bad as it looked on paper without PK.

FireBergevin is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:43 PM
  #313
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Its not that I hate Gorges on the 2nd unit PP, but in the limited time that Emelin has seen on the PP (from last year), he shows ability to complete sharp cross ice passes quickly, and possesses a better shot. He can get the PK guys to move around. Gorges is safer back there but he is limited in terms of what he can do in the offensive third of the ice.
Oh, I agree with all of that to an extent. If you've got Markov and Subban, though, and possibly on different pairings, there may be only so much you need that other guy to do, anyway, to make the 5-man unit effective. 4-on-3 powerplay? Maybe not, but I see the merit either way.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:43 PM
  #314
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
Impossible, he's finished! We don't need him, we rather like over paying for 4th line plumbers and AHL level defensemen.
I like it when we pay 5,0M$ for two plumbers and a midget defenseman when for a little bit less we could have a legit top 6 player.

SergeConstantin74 is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:43 PM
  #315
WolfgangAmadeusEller*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Burlington
Country: United States
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
Goaltending:
Price was solid gave the team plenty of opportunity to be within a goal or two.

Defensemen:
Tomas Kaberle got way to much ice-time and he looked bad.
Andrei Markov was alright, but you can tell his play has dipped and his speed isn't there anymore. He still has an excellent shot and great passing.
Rafael Diaz looked pretty solid to me he looked up to game speed out of all the six d-man.
Alexei Emelin was alright, again in his own zone he was bit out of place and his first pass wasn't the greatest but his physicality was good.
Josh Gorges played half decent all round, looked a little wobbly but like everyone else they just need to get back in to the speed and pace of the game.
Francis Bouillon wasn't surprised with his game but he did play solid not much to complain about.

Forwards:
Max PaciorettyLooked flat and rusty, when rushing and trying to stick-handle. It's just a matter of 2 or 3 games when he gets the pace back.
Erik ColeSpeed is there, timing is not.
David DesharnaisDefinitely was the most energized on the first line, but again the passing and timing wasn't there.
Tomas PlekanecFor him being injured or not 100% he looked pretty good. Couple of good shots.
Brian Gionta Had the most fight out of all the players and got the only goal.
Rene Bourque If you remember how he played last year....ya pretty much.
Lars Eller Not impressed looked invisible.
Travis Moen Speed, timing, accuracy, agility...everything totally off.
Alex Galchenyuk Not bad for his first game, being juggled between the 2nd and 3rd line. Had a couple of good shots and great speed.
Brandon Prust Very energized and pumped. Liked the up tempo style he brought.
Colby Armstrong Decent, didn't expect much from him.
Ryan White Still has to adjust to the center ice spot, but his game wasn't that good.
Really? Maybe we should trade for Begin and give him 15 mpg.

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:44 PM
  #316
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 500
Therrien should have kept that torch on the bench tonight, he could have used it often.

Craig71 is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:45 PM
  #317
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
Really? Maybe we should trade for Begin and give him 15 mpg.
Wow, my F150 gets better mileage than that, we can do better.

Craig71 is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:47 PM
  #318
BobbyFischer*
 
BobbyFischer*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,864
vCash: 500
The leafs are for real this year.

Scrivens is a more than capable starter.

Komarov and Kadri are the real deal.

Big strong tough defenders on the blueline.

BobbyFischer* is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:48 PM
  #319
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
Bouillon got 23 min ice time? Michel, Michel, Michel... Is this your vision for the future?
Therry has a dual brief, always deadly if you cannot handle it:

1. Win games now. That means playing Cube a lot. Note that we allowed 2 goals tonight. Maybe Therry values Cube more than you do and maybe he knows why.

2. Develop younger, and riskier, players that may cost you wins this year. Specifically Diaz and Emelin, who are important to this team when it matters, that is, next year and beyond.

I get contradictory briefs all the time in my profession. And I am aware of it. I hope Therry is.

bsl is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:48 PM
  #320
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic
 
LeBlondeDemon10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
yeah like that was going to happen...
Well, if they are going to raise the dead, might as well go for the best.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:49 PM
  #321
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,152
vCash: 500
Just got back from the game.

If I had to describe this game in one word, that word would clearly be sloppy. Both teams were so terribly disorganised, and no one except Markov seemed to have any clue what to do with the puck.

Gally did not look out of place, but he didn't stand out either. He seemed to have trouble being a true winger at times, he drifted a lot. I was disappointed to see him replaced by Bourque on the second line later in the game. Prust was the only guy on the 4th line who had any impact, and he had both good and bad points too. Nice to see someone on our team win a fight for once though.

And perhaps it's a bit of a kneejerk reaction, but Patches/DD/Cole was a 2nd line last year and should probably be relegated to those types of matchups again if they're to have any success this year, if they play like this all season. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's just some rink rust.

Dekar is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:50 PM
  #322
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey
 
Pierre Dagenais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I like it when we pay 5,0M$ for two plumbers and a midget defenseman when for a little bit less we could have a legit top 6 player.
and we play with two less players?

Pierre Dagenais is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:52 PM
  #323
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I like it when we pay 5,0M$ for two plumbers and a midget defenseman when for a little bit less we could have a legit top 6 player.
This team with Koivu, Kovalev, and Jagr would be soooo lollerskates! I don't know how the team would do, but there would be jersey sales, I reckon. Most entertaining $10 million 4th line in the world? How much do our possible 4th line combinations cost anyway, $5-6 million? Haha, too bad. Coulda been awesome. Boat load of points between them tonight, and a short season like this is certainly going to be kinder to guys like them.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:54 PM
  #324
FireBergevin
Penultimate warrior
 
FireBergevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
The leafs are for real this year.

Scrivens is a more than capable starter.

Komarov and Kadri are the real deal.

Big strong tough defenders on the blueline.
Not sure if serious but Komisarek looked solid.

Scrivens and Kostma were good but this wasn't a real test for them.

The Kessel & Grabovski lines were just as ineffective as most of our forwards.

Kadri & Komarov were pretty good yeah.

FireBergevin is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 10:54 PM
  #325
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,041
vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
The leafs are for real this year.

Scrivens is a more than capable starter.

Komarov and Kadri are the real deal.

Big strong tough defenders on the blueline.
Don't forget the " "

donghabs98 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.