HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Flyers - HOCKEY IS BACK!

Old
01-19-2013, 10:31 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Two periods into it, standouts for me so far, Sutter, Neal, Cooke, Martin, and Fleury.

Kunitz, so far doesn't have to worry about washing his uniform for tomorrow night.
Agreed about the spot on analysis. You are dead on right now.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:39 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Feaster doesn't want to trade Iggy and Iggy is loyal to the Flames.

Hossa everyone knew was walking and Waddell was forced to move him.

Again it is a trade that will hurt... Sutter + Morrow/DP + 1st

This is the face of the Flames franchise who has had 13 30+ goal seasons in a row and has several elite years left.

He will not come cheap. Shero will have to make Feaster an offer he can't refuse to convince him it is worth moving Iggy.
There is no way I make that deal. Why would you trade Sutter if he is supposed to take Staal's place...

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:42 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

From what I have seen, yeah Sid has not been impactful in this game at all, but there are some definite things I was pleased about seeing. And that was his ability to play in traffic, and take hits. He didn't shy away from any contact, took some big hits to make some simple plays. He skated well enough. Not in super Sid flying mode, but decent. We expect our big guns to make plays basically every single game, but with Sid, I think a bit of cautious expectations are in order. At least for me. Wanna see him get back to playing with confidence in the physical aspect of the game. Once he gains his confidence in that respect, (and I think that is a reasonable assumption that he might have lost that a bit), the rest will fail into place. And of course, the fact that we won the game certainly takes any offensive onus off Sid, looking at the game in retrospect.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
How anyone can say that goal was on Orpik is beyond me. Should he have stepped up? Probably not but he had numbers back. Kunitz had his head up his ass on that one. All he had to do was pay attention and pick up Giroux. That goal was on Kunitz.
Its a 2-0 game with the Flyers having a history of coming back against the Pens for about 2 years now. Why step up to make a hit, not an offensive play, at the offensive zone blue line? It leads to nothing. It was a bad play by Kunitz too but he should have never of been put in that position.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by H382 View Post
Jeffrey's been a big disappointment for me for a long time. I like what Vitale brings to the table over what Jeffrey does.
This goes without saying. Everyone likes what Joe Versatile brings, over every other 4th liner... who ever lived. Including Mr. Glass (who cuts people).

Quote:
But Martin is bad player who plays bad.

Bad players get a minus.

Isn't that how this thread works?
Stop ruining my sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
Because he had one "bad" game.

Must.Get.Rid.Of.Him.Now.
Especially with the overflowing glut of talented wingers we have who are NHL ready. At best Kunitz is what... our 2nd best winger? And at worst... our 2nd best winger? Totally expendable. We dohn need no STEEENKING WINGARZ, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
Just wondering why I keep seeing Sutters name brought up in trades. Do some of you really think Shero is going to trade Staal to the Canes for Sutter, then trade him in the same year?
If they do, they need a reboot. Sutter is not going anywhere. He is exactly what the Dr. ordered and at exactly the right age and price.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
You're assuming too much.

Everyone knows that Feaster and Iggy's first priority is for the latter to stay in Calgary, but in all honesty Feaster doesn't have as much leverage as he thinks he has.

Let Feaster keep an unreasonable price tag for Iggy, which he should. Like you said, Iggy is the face of the Flames. There are better options for the Pens to "overpay" on, or test the UFA market after this year.

No way would I give Sutter+Morrow+1st for Iggy. No ******* way. Feaster can go **** himself and suffer the consequences of believing his team is a playoff contender.
I'm not assuming anything in regards to what Feaster said. He flat out said he isn't trading Iggy. Iggy is a stand up guy and I can't see him leaving the Flames.

So either Iggy goes out of character and forces a trade and Feaster is over a barrel (doubtful) or someone has to blow Feaster away with an offer to pry Iggy out of Calgary.

Feaster will want a young fwd back to replace Iggy, a top prospect and a #1. If he doesn't get it, then he isn't trading him. I doubt he will be forced to make the trade.

Reality is, the only young fwd with value who the Pens have who could be moved is Sutter. It won't be
Neal. So who is left?

If people want Iggy, be prepared for it to hurt.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Plus

+ Sutter: The only negative thing I could say is his faceoff wins in the d-zone. The positives? Everything. I love all the small things he does. He focuses so much on defense and it works. He's a great player and I'm telling you right now he's 100% going to make me forget about Staal. His attention to detail is beyond anything I expected.

+ Defense: Martin/Orpik was awesome. That was Martin's best game in 2 years. Not even close. He was incredible. Despres made rookie mistakes but was physical and gritty. We need that. Engo/Nisky/Letang were great. All played above what I expected. That defense was great.

+ Bylsma (PK): Our PK was ****ing awesome. They sniffed out what killed them last season. They didn't chase (outside of the first PK) and we stole their time away. It was flat out awesome. huge props for them seeing that.

+ Geno: Thought he was beast mode most of the night. He looked like the freshest player out there. HE just looked so in-season ready.

+ Fleury: He wasn't great, but damn good. Keep it simple, #29.

Minus

- Dustin Jeffrey: If you are fighting for a spot, don't come in playing like that. Complete and utter garbage. He can be cut for all I care. That was a pathetic performance.

- Sloppy play: Both teams... to be expected.

- Kunitz: He looked lost. I'm giving a grace period to get ready for the season.
The thing with Sutter that I can now say is that he is more than advertised. And in some ways I prefer him to Staal. Let me explain.

Staal has the higher upside and his highs will be higher than Sutter. But he has been, is, and I believe always will be, hugely inconsistent. He will take over a game and then for long stretches be very pedestrian. Sutter looks like he will consistently bring a high level of play for you. No, he will not match the take over the game aspect that Staal will. But he will also not disappear for long stretches either.

An analogy is like the golfer who can hit the ball the entire fairway but sprays it all over the place and the golfer who can never hit it anywhere close to that far but it is always straight down the middle, every damn time. I hope that I got the golfing language correct because I hate the game and only have passing knowledge, but the analogy seemed to work. I am happy we got the guy who its it down the middle of the fairway. The rest of the pieces are gravy.

Just my take from what I have seen.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
There is no way I make that deal. Why would you trade Sutter if he is supposed to take Staal's place...
You don't.

That's the point.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

I mostly agree with all of what Cole said in the first post.

Biggest plus for me was getting the win at Philly; Sutter, and Fleury/Martin having bounce back games, as well as the opening 15 minutes where we really dominated them. Many other aspects came to look good because of the final scoreline, because the Flyers once again showed us several things we aren't handling well.

- We still have a hard time with their forecheck and their forwards' physicality. Once they got their feet under them, I thought the Flyers dominated us for most of the last 40 minutes, and our 1st and 4th lines especially suffered giving the D support after battles behind our net/on the walls, thus prolonging their time in our zone.

- Except for the first period, they were great at limiting our offensive zone time. Much of that is us assisting them with lots of dump ins for no one or too ambitious passes ending up icing calls. We looked like a pure counterattacking team after the first period.

The youngsters; Despres looks a little casual at times, but some of this is getting used to the NHL speed and making decisions at this level. There is no better time to get on pace than early season before games are critical. The same can be said for Tangradi who I thought looked more comfortable and useful as a 'third wheel' than before, because of strong skating and physical play. But it is a little worrying how little he got himself into dangerous areas.
Jeffrey, that was a stinker. Not just because of the dicey passes that were called out by Pierre and everyone here; more because he consistently looked really slow and ineffective out there.

Finally, the PK looked more in tune with Philly's setup than in the playoffs, surely. But outside of Jagr and Carle having departed, there was also Briere being out with injury, and if we are being honest it was not as if Philly were not very dangerous on their PPs. We had good fortune on the special teams this time around, and they didn't. That's the game.

Biggest positive surprise: Sutter looking THAT good!
Biggest negative surprise: Kunitz Crosby Dupuis looking that discombobulated. Kunitz was bad overall, Crosby forcing lots of passes and not being a positive influence except for the penalties he caused... and if the other two don't make the line, Dupuis will be just whizzing back and fort showing good effort and little purpose.

Hoping to see better passing and puck management for the Rangers game. But for a sloppy game, winning in Philly is sweet.

And oh yeah, hockey is back!

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

The game was a bit more physical than I expected but I guess I should have expected it since it's Pens/Flyers.

Loved all the subtle plays Sutter made.

Pleasantly surprised by Glass. He looks like a better player than I thought.

I hope Martin plays like that on a consistent basis this year.

Regular season Fleury is good. We need to find a way to make sure that Fleury also shows up in the playoffs. Maybe an easier work load with Vokoun around will help with that.

Tangradi and Despres look like works in progress but I'm still hopeful.

We won a game on the road with Crosby and Malkin not getting any of the goals. Hopefully they saved those goals for the Rangers game later today.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
+ Martin. Played well, but his net front presence in our zone still sucks. I realize he will never be a bruiser, but at the very least, please quit being a liability in our zone. That being said, he did play well. Moved the puck efficiently & jumped up when needed.
Martin was our best d-man tonight in every zone.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:39 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
A good game one for me. Rust everywhere but overall a solid game and a very good road win against a team that dismantled us, and our PK which showed why it was top 3 in the league and made some damn adjustments.

Not looking too much in to the good or bad performances one way or the other, let's just get ready for tomorrow.... but seriously, good game MAF and **** Sutter is legit.

Edit: **** it, + to Martin for all the haters. That's how he got that contract and how good he was year one.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:57 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

I thought Martin was fine. He made some nifty plays to get the puck out of trouble (a hallmark of his that was missing last year). When puck carriers came at him aggressively he was still iffy but he had a pretty good game.

Crosby's line left something to be desired. Want to see a little more burst from Sid tomorrow night, but oh well. The Flyers know him like the back of their hand and I didn't expect anything to come easy.

Scoring early. I thought that was important given that there were so many unknown commodities going into this game after such a short camp.

Fleury was solid if unspectacular, but so was the defense. Fancy that!

Agree with what everyone was saying about Jeffrey. At least don't take a penalty if you're gonna have a crap game.

Tangradi: I dunno guys. It's only one game, but I'm just not seein it. Coughed up a puck that came to him on his boards in our zone, so I'm already thinking he hasn't gotten better at that. He delivered a lot of pucks to empty space because he's simply not picking up on better places it could go (like, to another Penguin). It was a tough opponent so we'll see what happens, but the decision-making speed required should not come as a surprise to him at this point so I'm hesitant to use that as an excuse. If I had to guess I'd expect more of the same, only he'll luck out an assist in the next couple games and everyone will talk about how solid he's been.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Omnomnomnom

+ Going into Philly and taking the 2 points in regulation despite a mediocre game from Crosby and (relatively) a slightly better game from Malkin.

I know if we continue to play this way, we won't get far, but for the first game of the season, in a really tough building, I'll take the points. Any game we win when our stars aren't playing up to snuff is a bonus. We know they'll be there most nights; getting points when both are below their lofty standards is fantastic!

Omnomnomnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:13 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

- Kunitz & Dupuis, worked hard but created nothing. They'll be great, though. These are just guys who didn't get the benefit of playing games recently. They'll be fine soon, and at least the hustle was there.

+ Cooke & Kennedy: both guys showed hustle, and Cooke brought some more physicality to his game.

- Tangradi: he will need to show more, but deserves to have some time to adjust. He will have a short-leash, however, and may get supplanted by Jeffrey within 10 games if he fails to make an impact. He wasn't bad, he just wasn't great.

+ Despres: yes, he made some mistakes, but what I liked most about his game tonight was his ability to then use his size and mobility to almost immediately make up for those mistakes with a good play. He also showed a lot of confidence and didn't look out of place, which is great. But make no doubt about it: for a guy like him, going into a game of this magnitude with this rivalry, there have to be some nerves and jitters, so his mistakes are forgivable, and he is showing like he looks like he belongs in the NHL, which I honestly thought he might not be ready for. I'm a lot less upset about losing Strait if Despres can keep this up.

Realism Check: Dustin Jeffrey: no, he wasn't geat tonight, though he wasn't terrible aside from one bad turnover; but guys, be honest: his ability to make an impact will be limited to some degree by playing with Glass and Adams. But please remember to factor in that, despite playing 20 games in a low-tier league in Europe, he hasn't played NHL quality -- or even AHL quality hockey -- in virtually over a year now. Give him half the season to get re-acclimated, and you will see the potential for him to be the impact player that Bylsma talked about in his pre-game interview today.

(this list is not exhaustive, and other guys were good, particularly Martin and Niskanen, the latter who looked deserving of taking on a bigger role this season).

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:20 AM
Dangles78

Quote:
I'm not assuming anything in regards to what Feaster said. He flat out said he isn't trading Iggy. Iggy is a stand up guy and I can't see him leaving the Flames.

So either Iggy goes out of character and forces a trade and Feaster is over a barrel (doubtful) or someone has to blow Feaster away with an offer to pry Iggy out of Calgary.

Feaster will want a young fwd back to replace Iggy, a top prospect and a #1. If he doesn't get it, then he isn't trading him. I doubt he will be forced to make the trade.

Reality is, the only young fwd with value who the Pens have who could be moved is Sutter. It won't be
Neal. So who is left?

OK, we are on the same page after reading the posts again.

The funny thing is though, Feaster won't come down off his price and that's fine. Let Iggy retire a Flame. The price tag is too inflated. Would much rather see the Pens break bank for Perry.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:23 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post

Realism Check: Dustin Jeffrey: no, he wasn't geat tonight, though he wasn't terrible aside from one bad turnover; but guys, be honest: his ability to make an impact will be limited to some degree by playing with Glass and Adams. But please remember to factor in that, despite playing 20 games in a low-tier league in Europe, he hasn't played NHL quality -- or even AHL quality hockey -- in virtually over a year now. Give him half the season to get re-acclimated, and you will see the potential for him to be the impact player that Bylsma talked about in his pre-game interview today.
We shall see. For awhile now he's looked like Christensen without a snappy wrist shot, i.e. he can't play. Last year is perfectly reasonable to chalk up to the knee, but I expect a steady improvement starting now. Don't want to hear about being on the fourth line. You don't have to score, but you need to show the coaches something. If you don't show why you should play more why should you play more? (see also: any call up anyone ever whined about not getting a 'real' chance)

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:20 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:

Neal. So who is left?

While I agree 100% about Iginla's character, I can see Feaster and Iggy agreeing that he deserves to lift the Cup, and he isn't likely to do that in Calgary. I know I wear Pens goggles, but I believe that he enjoyed playing with Sid enough to want to come and play here, if he did decide to move on from Calgary.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:52 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
While I agree 100% about Iginla's character, I can see Feaster and Iggy agreeing that he deserves to lift the Cup, and he isn't likely to do that in Calgary. I know I wear Pens goggles, but I believe that he enjoyed playing with Sid enough to want to come and play here, if he did decide to move on from Calgary.
Yeah, sort of like Boston did for Ray Bourque.

I don't know Iggy wants to leave. You have to respect his loyalty to his team and city.

sniugneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:16 AM
JTG

I want to give some props to Matt Niskanen. I thought he played a hell of a game, and stepped up in a big way with Letang. The top 4 played a really good game in general.

It's a good thing this wasn't Despres' first game here, because I think he'd be driving to WBS this morning. Wasn't impressed with his play at all. You could tell he was sort of riled up with all the emotion of playing. He had some real questionable passes and clearing attempts, IMO.

I love what Brandon Sutter brings to this team. I don't think he's done developing as a hockey player either.

As much as I ***** about Craig Adams, he's a PK genius. Dustin Jeffrey probably should have got the scratch last night, as he looked horrible. I also expected a little more piss and vinegar from Tanner Glass...more of a Mike Rupp presence. Didn't get that feel from him though.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:17 AM
JTG

I think Iginla realizes that it's going to take Calgary another few years to be a real contender...maybe even longer. If he wants to win a Cup, he is going to have to come to grips that it just won't be in Calgary.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:24 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

What was this and why haven't anyone said this happened yesterday?

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post

What was this and why haven't anyone said this happened yesterday?
I love that kind of stuff. There's nothing wrong with being the bad guy.

The Pens should have a #75 jersey made up for that though.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:43 AM
JTG

I also want to say, I haven't seen someone win a faceoff in a Pens uniform so clean that the puck actually gets past the defensemen, but Sutter did it twice yesterday.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:04 AM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
From what I have seen, yeah Sid has not been impactful in this game at all, but there are some definite things I was pleased about seeing. And that was his ability to play in traffic, and take hits. He didn't shy away from any contact, took some big hits to make some simple plays. He skated well enough. Not in super Sid flying mode, but decent. We expect our big guns to make plays basically every single game, but with Sid, I think a bit of cautious expectations are in order. At least for me. Wanna see him get back to playing with confidence in the physical aspect of the game. Once he gains his confidence in that respect, (and I think that is a reasonable assumption that he might have lost that a bit), the rest will fail into place. And of course, the fact that we won the game certainly takes any offensive onus off Sid, looking at the game in retrospect.
I agree. Am I the only one that still holds their breath when Sid takes a hit? Since he came back, I think I'm just happy that he makes it through a game without injury. Hopefully he's not feeling that way too (I doubt he is).

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote