HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Post Game Colorado Avalanche Vs Minnesota Wild Jan. 19/2013 7:00PM MST.

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Appleanche

vCash: 500
Pretty ugly performance, you can't take that many penalties, double minors, 5-3 and expect to win.

First and Second lines did not show up... need a good performance from them Tuesday.

Old
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I'm not really upset with McGinn or Downie for missing those wide open nets. They haven't played hockey in 9 months so their timing's gonna be a bit off.

I am upset with Downie for that retarded second penalty. It's the first game back, and no one really took any liberties against him in the game, how is he loosing his cool already??? Really concerning.

Also upset that Duchene continues to be a chemistry vaccum. No one can read off him, and get into a groove. He just demands the puck to make plays, but then makes stupid decisions. He either tries to stick handle through two or three guys, or thread a needle on a cross rink hard pass through two or three guys.

I don't understand why anybody hasn't sat him down and told him he NEEDS to simplify his game if he wants to get better, and if they have I don't understand why he doesn't listen.
I didn't notice Duchene doing any of that stuff today. No spin moves and no trying to go through three players by himself.

Old
Unaffiliated

vCash: 50
Quote:
Also upset that Duchene continues to be a chemistry vaccum. No one can read off him, and get into a groove.
That PE that Flash had was actually a pretty huge blow it seems.

Old
chet1926

Not going to freak out about this one. Didn't think there was much chance of us winning this one, home opener against a team that doesn't lose at home in openers, who just brought in the two best free agents on hockey day in Minnesota. The Wild weren't going to lose this one no matter what we did. And even with all that we had our chances 2 posts on wide open nets would have made a world of difference.

Varly played solid, which is tough to say considering he gave up 4, but none were really his fault.

Highlander awesome game.

Mitchell was pretty solid, nice to see him get a goal.

PAP/Landy/Duchene were all terrible as was Staz/Jones/McGinn, not the way I was hoping our top 2 lines would start.

Downie in my opinion cost us the game. Two miserable penalties on the same play that led to a PP goal and not finishing on a wide open net. That can't happen in a short season.

Defense as a whole was not bad, but not great. Kind of what I expected just mediocre, nothing terrible nothing great.

Got to be better on Tuesday, its going to be another tough one. Kings are going to be pissed with the way they played today. Its time for the Avs to man up.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:56 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Was not our night, sometimes that's the way it goes.

Was certainly not a good night for Jones or Downie.

The Jones icing led directly to their 2nd goal and should have been averted. Downie lost his cool and so did Mitchell on Clutterturd. Too much PK tonight...way too much.
I scratched my head on that Jones icing. Yes, he had Wild players bearing down... but it's like he wanted to avoid contact and just iced the puck instead of risking getting hit but passing the red line. I sure hope he got an earful from Sacco and staff for that lazy play. Like you said, it directly led to the following meltdown. GOOD TEAMS don't tolerate that type of play.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

vCash: 250
What the **** did this team eat in the first intermission?

Mental mistakes cost the avs 2 points tonight. Downie, Jones and to a lesser extent Wilson take the majority of the blame. Although, nobody in the top 6 looked good. It's the first game, so it's not a big deal. We just haven't seen them in a long time which makes this loss hurt more.

EJ for me stood out, in a good way but even he wasn't that great.

I think some of you are being too harsh on Barrie, I hope Sacco isn't dumb enough to scratch him off one game. But this is Sacco we're talking about, you'll probably see Duchene on wing next game.

Old
Unaffiliated

If our top 6 show up this game, we take it. That's how I see it.

(showing up includes Downie not being a retard)

If they get going on Tuesday, we should be OK.

Old
AvsWraith

As long as Sacco is coach, we continue to embrace this physical grinding style, and put character over talent in our roster, we will never see another playoff game. Talent >>>>> character. Any other coach >>>> Sacco.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

Ducks ***** the nucks for another goal

Old
01-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Unaffiliated

on the bright side it's now 6-2 anaheim over van

Old
01-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
I think some of you are being too harsh on Barrie, I hope Sacco isn't dumb enough to scratch him off one game. But this is Sacco we're talking about, you'll probably see Duchene on wing next game.
I've been one of the most critical of his play tonight. Maybe he just needs some time to get going like a lot of other players. I don't know.

Either way, I want O'Brien in there. Don't care if it's for Barrie, Zanon, or Wilson. Once again the Avs were way too soft around the net.

Old
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

I want to buy a winnick ducks jersey. Dude is gonna score 50 goals in 48 games. lol

Old
iAvs
JUST WIN

One last thing before I call it a night: Landeskog. It can slide this time, but he's got the "C" on his jersey now. The team definitely needed him to lead the charge, whether is was a great shift, a big hit, or a timely goal. He's got to be a game changer.

This isn't an attack on the man at all. But, if anyone needs to really respond after this game, it's him.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Unaffiliated

I think I'm out now guys.

Sucks that we lost, but in no way is the sky falling.

See y'all Tuesday!

Old
Freudian
luck paper scissors

I'm not a big fan of Jones on the PK. He is kinda in the right spot but he doesn't put any pressure on the puck carrier. Wild had control of the puck pretty much all the time when he was out there, until Stastny got to loose pucks.

Old
SuperJoe

vCash: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
As bad as some parts of this game were, we really could have won it.

At least 2 WIDE OPEN nets.
Yep can't miss those wide open net and expect to win many games, oh well lets be honest with ourselves we are super slow on D, our O is missing an important component and our discipline sucked (albeit helped by a few questionable calls). Lets hope we regroup, get SOB in the lineup and play a full 60

Old
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

vCash: 400
Quote:
I'm not really upset with McGinn or Downie for missing those wide open nets. They haven't played hockey in 9 months so their timing's gonna be a bit off.

I am upset with Downie for that retarded second penalty. It's the first game back, and no one really took any liberties against him in the game, how is he loosing his cool already??? Really concerning.

Also upset that Duchene continues to be a chemistry vaccum. No one can read off him or get into a groove. He just demands the puck to make plays, but then makes stupid decisions. He either tries to stick handle through two or three guys, or thread a needle on a cross rink hard pass through two or three guys.

I don't understand why anybody hasn't sat him down and told him he NEEDS to simplify his game if he wants to get better, and if they have I don't understand why he doesn't listen.
Duchene and PAP had good chemistry. I was actually pleased with it. Duchene wants the puck on his stick the entire game. That is why I said put McGinn on Duchene's line and move Landy to Stastny's. Stastny is the only one on his line that can carry the puck. All 3 on Dutchy's can. Landy is going to be under-utilized playing with Dutch and I think him and Stas would possibly be even better than RoR.

Old
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
Everytime I see EJ on the PP, I want him to turn into Rob Blake and start firing bombs from the blueline. Why won't this come true?
Because EJ has historically had problems getting his shot through to the net. Blues fans warned us about this when we first acquired him. Unfortunately, we don't appear to have adequate coaching that would allow him to break through and start firing bombs anyways, even if you need to aim for some balls at first until people learn to get out of the way. It's about either making a quick fake and then getting the shot off or aiming at the side of the net to get a good bounce or faking a shot and making a pass. Lots of options but we're not seeing it. I personally believe that they've asked him to shore up his defensive game first before he starts focusing on his offense. I like the way he's been rushing the puck up the ice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I understand that he's only 21 but three giveaways at center ice that lead to scoring opportunities can't be defended. We can blame some of the missed defensive assignments on his age and inexperience but there's no excuse for just giving the puck away like that.
I've been a big proponent of leaving our young guys in the AHL to continue to develop their game. Especially Barrie and Elliott, they both need to work on their defensive games...I mentioned a few weeks back that from watching them in the AHL, they are still too 'green' for the NHL, in my opinion.

Old
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
As long as Sacco is coach, we continue to embrace this physical grinding style, and put character over talent in our roster, we will never see another playoff game. Talent >>>>> character. Any other coach >>>> Sacco.
Yeah that sums up the gripes I've had for the past 2 to 3 years.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I didn't notice Duchene doing any of that stuff today. No spin moves and no trying to go through three players by himself.
Well then you missed it. Not the spin moves, he didn't try too many of those, though he did a couple mini ones that worked ok. He did try to stick handled through two or three guys on at least two occasions that I remember (maybe more, my feed kept freezing).

He also tried to throw a rocket pass from the right wing boards almost all the way to a player rushing in on the left wing boards with at least two defenders in the middle that broke it up. I saw him do this twice, and also force a couple low percentage short passes when he had better options.

One of his biggest detriments is the box he paints himself into. He holds on to the puck forever trying fancy moves, and ends up having nowhere to go, so he forces a low percentage pass.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:03 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
Queue the over-reaction from Bi-Polar fans.
Hahaha, totally. As Rycroft said we lost this game, Wild didn't win it. It would've been a much different story if Downie didn't take that double minor, if EJ's 5 months of power skating actually paid off, and McGinn decided to not tank for Jones. But we can't think about the what ifs, just learn and move on. I am a bit mad, but we had the chances to tie this game and didn't capitalize on them. It happens to every team once in a while and especially to young teams.

+ Duchene looked good.
+ Bottom 6 forwards looked great
+ Zanon and Johnson were great
+ Mitchell looked great
+ Varlamov kept us in besides some terrible rebounds

- Varly's rebounds
- Wilson by far was the worst defender, seems he can't play that many minutes
- Landeskog was just skating out there
-Stastny looked lost

and the perfect negative for all young teams
- Star players didn't show up (Look at Anaheim right now)

Old
01-19-2013, 11:03 PM
The Shermanator
Lawn Chair Season

vCash: 150
We lost our opener last year and look at our start turned out.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:04 PM
The Shermanator
Lawn Chair Season

vCash: 150
And how can you expect to beat a team that has Parise AND Suter?

Old
01-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

vCash: 250
I say we overreact, who's with me?

Old
01-19-2013, 11:06 PM
BrickAHL
#Shermy is ELEPHANT

vCash: 432
It sucks that we'll have to wait until Tuesday now.

Our PK is going to be terrible. Our only center who can play a lick of defense is Stastny. At one point we had McLeod and McGinn on the PK. WTF?!?

Closed Thread