HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#01 | New Jersey Devils vs. New York Islanders | Jan 19 | L 1-2

Old
01-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Isles Maineac

vCash: 500
Watching this team tonight made me realize how different 2013-2014's team can/will be. If we get a top-3 pick, that player will likely be in the starting lineup next year, but we will probably pick in the 5-10 range. I don't think Streit will be back (defensive liability, whose best days are way behind him), and luckily, guys like Reasoner and Boulton won't be in the mix. Of course the goalie situation is a huge question. Does Nabby come back? Is it time for Nillson/Poulin? Of course DiPi and his contract will be here. The team below will certainly be young and fun to watch.

Moulson-Tavares-Nino
Bailey-Strome-Grabner
Ullstrom-Nelson/Cizikas-Okposo
Joensuu-Nielsen-Martin

MacDonald-Hamonic (Hammer is showing he can replace Streit on top PP pairing)
Reinhart-Strait
Carkner-DeHaan
Donovan/Hickey/?

Nabokov?
Nillson?
Poulin?
DiPi

Isles Maineac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:29 PM
SouthShore91

My .2
-Liked the atmosphere, but was kind of rowdy. Wasn't expecting the amount of ejections I saw. Was in 335 and saw at least 4 Devils fans get tossed.
-The 1st period the defense was atrocious. Thought they sort of woke up in the 2nd and 3rd and played marginally better.
-Nabby seems on point and ready to go. I would very much like to not have any talk of that other guy starting the next game.
-Thought physical play was lacking (as usual). Watched a few times how we got outmuscled in the corner.
-As bad as I thought the defense was I think the offense might have been worse. They need to get more shots on net cause there is no way to score goals without them

I think overall that wasn't THAT bad. Obviously not what I'd like but I see the effort and drive there and it was something we can build off of.

SouthShore91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:39 PM
frankieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Maineac View Post
Watching this team tonight made me realize how different 2013-2014's team can/will be. If we get a top-3 pick, that player will likely be in the starting lineup next year, but we will probably pick in the 5-10 range. I don't think Streit will be back (defensive liability, whose best days are way behind him), and luckily, guys like Reasoner and Boulton won't be in the mix. Of course the goalie situation is a huge question. Does Nabby come back? Is it time for Nillson/Poulin? Of course DiPi and his contract will be here. The team below will certainly be young and fun to watch.

Moulson-Tavares-Nino
Bailey-Strome-Grabner
Ullstrom-Nelson/Cizikas-Okposo
Joensuu-Nielsen-Martin

MacDonald-Hamonic (Hammer is showing he can replace Streit on top PP pairing)
Reinhart-Strait
Carkner-DeHaan
Donovan/Hickey/?

Nabokov?
Nillson?
Poulin?
DiPi
I appreciate your dose of reality, but it "might" be a bit premature. We are only 0-1 right now. I kind of agree that this team does not have "it" to be a playoff team, but let's give them a bit of time to either prove us right or wrong. Then, we can start talking about the draft party and Seth Jones (or MacKinnon, etc.).

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:51 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShore91 View Post
My .2
-Liked the atmosphere, but was kind of rowdy.
Wasn't expecting the amount of ejections I saw. Was in 335 and saw at least 4 Devils fans get tossed.
-The 1st period the defense was atrocious. Thought they sort of woke up in the 2nd and 3rd and played marginally better.
-Nabby seems on point and ready to go. I would very much like to not have any talk of that other guy starting the next game.
-Thought physical play was lacking (as usual). Watched a few times how we got outmuscled in the corner.
-As bad as I thought the defense was I think the offense might have been worse. They need to get more shots on net cause there is no way to score goals without them

I think overall that wasn't THAT bad. Obviously not what I'd like but I see the effort and drive there and it was something we can build off of.
None of that came across on TV. Other teams/sports broadcasts do a much better job of getting the sound of the crowd. But for whatever reason both the Mets & Islanders keep the crowd noise low.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Islesfan22

Just got back from the game a little while ago..Islanders were well bad for the first 2 periods and played a pretty good third..This team just has to many guys who do not belong in the NHL..Im sorry when you have Aucoin on your second powerplay unit and he was on the last shift in the end of the game i can't see this team competing for a playoff spot. Oh and why the heck was Martinek not playing? Karkner and Finley are God awful..These guys are not NHL caliber defenseman. Talking to my brother after the game im afraid i have to agree with him. We are in for another top 5 pick this year.

Islesfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Islesfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShore91 View Post
My .2
-Liked the atmosphere, but was kind of rowdy. Wasn't expecting the amount of ejections I saw. Was in 335 and saw at least 4 Devils fans get tossed.

There was lot of drunks at the game tonight. There was a group of Islander fans behind me wasted who were just cursing and abusing over weight women all night long. Disgusting behavior and i had my two eight year old daughters with me me who kept saying to me daddy these guys are crazy. I was tempted to say something but there was no security around so i didn't want to risk one of these idiots taking a swing at me with my kids there. As far as the atmosphere i thought it was ok but after the Devils scored right after we did all the buzz was taken out of the building.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:04 PM
lost35*

for those who were at the game, was the booing of DP in the intros as bad as it was on TV< or was it worse, on TV they kind of mute it but you can still here the boos

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:06 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
for those who were at the game, was the booing of DP in the intros as bad as it was on TV< or was it worse, on TV they kind of mute it but you can still here the boos
It was bad. I didn't see the TV replay of it so I have no way knowing how much worse it actually was, but it was loud. Poor guy.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Islesfan22

Quote:
exactly

go look at my old posts, no one was more against the Brooklyn move then me

hearing the crowd at the beginning with the Booing of DP makes me want them to move to Brooklyn now

anything to get away from these fans

at least in Brooklyn you will now have suits and people who have little interest in the team
DP sucks and deserves to get booed. I never liked him even before his injuries. He was average before the injuries and now just sucks..DP just needs to go away..

Old
01-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Islesfan22

It was loud and i was booing as well.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:10 PM
19 in a row

oh well.. went to the game and just finished reading through this thread. Maybe it didn't come through as much on TV but i thought in addition to strait that boyes showed something tonight. I hope he gets a shot with JT as Okposo was a real disappointment and seemed to fall down everytime the puck got near him.

I got to my seat just as the puck was about to drop, so sad to read here that DP got booed. It's opening night for Christ's sake, don't boo your own team.. Too bad Viz wasn't here to take the heat off of Ricky.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:14 PM
NYCoolRunner

Got back from the game a little while ago. It was definitely the most packed its ever been since I've gone to a game (since early 90s) and it was actually nice. There was a pretty die-hard group of guys (and gals) p on the very top of the place, and they were really keeping the chants going. Unfortunately, the high of the night by Hamonic was quickly dissipated with another Jersey goal. What a downer.

NYCoolRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:16 PM
lost35*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan22 View Post
DP sucks and deserves to get booed. I never liked him even before his injuries. He was average before the injuries and now just sucks..DP just needs to go away..
he was not average, he was a good goalie and he was was 27 years old when his career starting going to crap

I have no doubt he would have turned into one of the top goalies in the league had the injuries not taken its place

some of you are so sad

you either have short memories, or you were not fans then, or you just get some joy out belittling other players

Old
01-19-2013, 11:17 PM
islesfan3991

Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Just got back from the game. Just a couple notes:

The Devils absolutely shut down JT. Every time he touched the puck New Jersey was right there.
I was hoping Okposo would show up but he looked horrible. Didn't play physical and looked very slow.
Nabby kept them in the game. Made a couple nice saves early and looked sharp throughout.
Aucoin and Boyes looked alright. I think Aucoin could be a good player for the Isles if he's given more chances.
Didn't really notice Moulson that much (probably because the Devils shut down JT).
Hamonic and Martin really show a lot of hustle. I love the way they play the game.
I was watching Finley closely all game because, with his size, he should be able to play some sort of defense. Well, he didn't. Looked more like a pylon out there.

Overall I don't think we played that bad. It was a very sloppy game for both teams. If we can build some chemistry with some of the new guys I think we could be a strong team. There's was a lot of bad passes tonight and bad communication. The defense also needs to improve because Nabby can't be the only form of defense for us. I'd like to see Martinek and Hickey play next game to see what they can do.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:17 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

See, I have no problem if Vis gets booed like hell whenever he touches the puck. He keeps giving giant FUs to our fanbase. Ricky sucks but John Tavares is the only player that could possibly love being an Islander as much as Ricky does. He tries and tries and doesn't give up on himself or his team. I don't know why we can't respect him for that.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:20 PM
19NYSports91

I think it's a joke that DP is on this team just to stay above the cap, it's embarrassing.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
Some thoughts:

-booing Rick was classless. It's one thing if the guy stinks it up in net - then he deserves it - but it's not his fault he was drafted by the Isles and put his John Hancock on the dotted line. Yes, he's a millionaire professional athlete who could've prevented some injuries by playing a more conservative style, but I still feel for the guy. At least let the guy start with a clean slate this season before you boo him. What counts is he still tries to stay involved in the community on LI, and is a genuinely good guy. And for that, I respect him.

Anyway...
-Okposo is a disgrace. Should've never gotten his name on the back of one of my jerseys. Does he really need a benching to snap out of his pathetic play? Don't give me this **** about him not playing during the lockout. It's Groundhog's Day again with this guy. He's not physical, he makes the puck look like a Mexican jumping bean, he always tries to be cute with his predictable inside out move instead of DRIVING to the net, and he's always chasing the puck instead of THINKING AHEAD of the play. He's so ****ing stupid and it's frustrating to watch. We all saw the same potential in him 3 years ago - what happened? For all of you who rag on Bailey, at least the guy has some assets to his game (PK) - he just needs to be consistent. I have more faith in him than I do in Okposo at this point. Once the Isles are officially out of the playoffs, Kyle will go on a tear, mark my word. I was happy about his contract when he signed, but it's looking horrible now.

-Thought JT was better defensively than offensively tonight. Only so much you can do single-handedly when one linemate is a dip**** and the other just didn't play that well tonight.

-I like StrAit

-StrEit should get dealt at the deadline so we can get our second-rounder back

-What a joke Finley was in the lineup tonight

-Scratch that POS Reasoner. We need heart and soul in the lineup. Play Cizikas.

-Scratch Boulton (needless to say)

-I'd like to see Ullstrom on the second line. Great wrist shot. Should've buried a slam dunk on the doorstep.

-The line change that led to that first goal...wow...

-Sick shot by Hammer beating Brodeur glove side

-And Nabby was amazing in goal. I'd love to sign him for another year. He's the Russian Roloson.

-Hate to say it, but we could use Viz in this lineup

Sorry, had to vent a little. Typical crapshow at the barn for a packed house on opening night. I'm a realist about our bad lineup, but at least win the one and only game where the fans are ready to go into a frenzy at the drop of a hat. Give us something. Maybe next year.

EDIT: Also, if you left your debris in the parking lot, and there was a lot of it, broken bottles and all, you're a ****.

Last edited by Poulin 0n My St1ck: 01-19-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:26 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Well..

Amazing crowd. Once again. For a franchise with no fans. Go figure.

Two things that can't go overlooked:

The first devils goal was a direct result of Reasoner's inability to be a hockey player. Right after he practically pins the Isles in their own zone, the Devils score.

Kyle Okposo is not a first line hockey player. Keep putting him there, you'll keep getting similar results. He has a serious coordination issue and a real problem giving 100%. The time is now to put him in a package for a defenseman. Enough of the shiny potential toy with this kid. He doesn't bring it.

1 game, but this team won't win more than 2 games over the next 10. Way to go Garth, real solid team here. Not sure that this matters in 48 games, because I don't think this will be a normal "season", but come October, we've got to expect more from management in our hockey team. I mean, stop attending and send a damn message time here. Finley? How does this guy dress for a hockey team, on a backcheck he literally stopped trying. I was amazed that a player could just simply give up and make it look that easy. Like, "Hey, Ima give up, and who cares"

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:27 PM
LetsGoIslanders

I don't harbor any personal grudge against DP, in fact I kind of like him, but I certainly booed him tonight. To a certain extent I do feel bad for him. That said, he is the symptom that exemplifies what is wrong with this team. He shouldn't be on the NHL roster. Whether that be buying him out or waiving him so he is in Bridgeport.

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Islesfan22

Quote:
he was not average, he was a good goalie and he was was 27 years old when his career starting going to crap

I have no doubt he would have turned into one of the top goalies in the league had the injuries not taken its place

some of you are so sad

you either have short memories, or you were not fans then, or you just get some joy out belittling other players
Look at his numbers the year he got the big contract from Wang.They were middle of the pack. He was never a top 10 goalie and never would have been. Time to cut our losses from this Milbury disaster and let one of the kids in Bridgeport get a chance. DP is not a NHL caliber goalie anymore and if you think he is well then you have DP blinders on.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Islesfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
See, I have no problem if Vis gets booed like hell whenever he touches the puck. He keeps giving giant FUs to our fanbase. Ricky sucks but John Tavares is the only player that could possibly love being an Islander as much as Ricky does. He tries and tries and doesn't give up on himself or his team. I don't know why we can't respect him for that.
Well its like Jason Bay he tries but he just sucks. At least the Mets had some common sense and bought him out. You would think the Isles would do the same with DP.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Paulinho
:baghead:

Send a message via Yahoo to Paulinho
Few bullets...

• The defense is atrocious, it kills our offense when JT spends 80% of his shifts helping our inadequate defense get the puck out of our zone. This might sound weird but i don't want Streit resigned, his offense simply does not make up for his defense.

• Kyle Okposo, i think he is a great kid, i had high hopes for him... i am so let down. He is so soft, not one tough bone in his body. He is a complete push over in the corners. Spent half his shifts on his ass. I hope he mans up but if he hasn't at this stage in his career it might never happen.

• Hamonic & Grabner need bigger roles on this team, hard workers i love them.

• Team is bad, i knew it was bad before the season started, today was just confirmation that the team is every bit as bad as i feared. Let the Seth Jones watch begin.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:46 PM
lost35*

Quote:
Look at his numbers the year he got the big contract from Wang.They were middle of the pack. He was never a top 10 goalie and never would have been. Time to cut our losses from this Milbury disaster and let one of the kids in Bridgeport get a chance. DP is not a NHL caliber goalie anymore and if you think he is well then you have DP blinders on.
I guarantee he would have been a top 10 goalie for the majority of his 15 year career, with many years putting up top 5 numbers

but yea who cares about that

and if you have a problem with the contract, I would have blamed Wang

but I guess it is fun to boo people if you have the mentality that many in the Coliseum have

Old
01-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Isles Maineac

Quote:
This is Nabby's year...He is a proven #1 goaie, and frankly, if we did not have JT, he would be the most important player on this team. He is under contract for this year and he should play at least 80 percent of the games this season. I don't think it would make sense to have one of the kids come up this year, sit on the bench and play one out of every five games. Let them continue to play with BST for a full season, and bring one or both of them up 2013-2014.

Isles Maineac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:57 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
I don't harbor any personal grudge against DP, in fact I kind of like him, but I certainly booed him tonight. To a certain extent I do feel bad for him. That said, he is the symptom that exemplifies what is wrong with this team. He shouldn't be on the NHL roster. Whether that be buying him out or waiving him so he is in Bridgeport.
I wasn't at the game (probably wont go back for a long time) but I would guess that most of the people that booed him felt the same way. It wasn't DiPietro getting booed, it was management.

They don't announce Ownership and front office at the game, so Rick DiPietro is symbolic of so many things that are wrong with the organization, and the fans used the opportunity to voice it's opinion. I have to believe Rick understands this. I'm surprised a lot of people here don't.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote