HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs @ Habs | Leafs win 2-1!

Old
01-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
We must have been reading 2 different threads or something. I saw a lot of people bashing over Grabo and how poorly he played tonight. On the other hand it was the first game of the season, people just need to get back to playing in the NHL.
I thought the reason to play in the KHL was to have a jump on NHL'ers when the season started, Komarov looked good, not sure why Grabo and Kule's excuse was. Really I don't want to pile on, I didn't think Grabo looked good late last year either, 5.5M, big contract and security can do things to a player. You have to be hungry, when you play in a UFA year you have something extra, this is only part of the reason why I think Bozak would have had a big yr this year, he is playing for a contract. 47 games to go, he was sort of cheated but he can still prove he is a NHL'er, Grabo he's got his contract. Not as hungry?

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mt99808

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Phaneuf needs to cut weight. He's a damn fridge.
Gotta say I agree with this. He looked slower than Schenn tonight.

mt99808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cor
LL Legend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
You seem angry lol.
lol They admit they were bad, but somehow think we were worse?

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:06 PM
THHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
He made the saves when he had too.
True, but he did have some problems with holding on to the puck and some huge rebounds.

THHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Suntouchable13

I think the Leafs played a good road game. What else do you want? They are finally looking like a well coached team.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:07 PM
fahad203

Grabo was invisible and awful. He's a one of those streaky players when he's hot he's hot. I thought him and Kulemin would play really well considering they were playing KHL. Apparently not.

Kudos to Brown for scrapping against Prust.

Van Rym Dysk. I liked what I saw. He provides some much needed size

Meclement, I didn't even notice him out there. I don't remember a single shift. He was wearing 11? Didn't dupuis used to wear that? I hope he plays better

Gunnerson I thought played a solid game. He looked poised and in control

Bozak, he'll never get any credits, he won't be liked. For a guy who was a freebie and costs us nothing compare to Komi , and once Connelly and Lombardi, takes the most criticism. all he does is his job.

Opponent:

Kaberle : Bro I loved you as a Leaf. It bothers me to see you like this. Please retire or play in KHL. Your just not the same player anymore

Armstrong: You were playing in ECHL during lock out. You should have stayed there

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:09 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I thought the reason to play in the KHL was to have a jump on NHL'ers when the season started, Komarov looked good, not sure why Grabo and Kule's excuse was. Really I don't want to pile on, I didn't think Grabo looked good late last year either, 5.5M, big contract and security can do things to a player. You have to be hungry, when you play in a UFA year you have something extra, this is only part of the reason why I think Bozak would have had a big yr this year, he is playing for a contract. 47 games to go, he was sort of cheated but he can still prove he is a NHL'er, Grabo he's got his contract. Not as hungry?
I fully agree with your point of Bozak, he has a determination that everyone should come to admire and you are spot on about Grabo's play and how he should have no excuses. The fact of the matter is Grabo is needed on this team for the offense he brings and the role that he plays. The best we can do is just see how the next 47 games go and see who is and who is not worth being part of the Nonis era.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I think the Leafs played a good road game. What else do you want? They are finally looking like a well coached team.
I thought they played well for 2/3 of the game, first 2/3 they were aggressive on the puck, physical in the corners, they boxed out the habs in the D zone. But they fell apart in the 3rd, they sat back and got passive, they allowed the habs to take control, thankfully the habs were not able to captalize on the chances. Lets put it this way, this situation needs to be addressed (ie 3rd period collapse), you cannot afford in a 48 shortend game season to take ANY team for granted because one bad fall ends the season BUT I am very sure Carlyle will address this situation head on.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:10 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
Grabo was invisible and awful. He's a one of those streaky players when he's hot he's hot. I thought him and Kulemin would play really well considering they were playing KHL. Apparently not.

Kudos to Brown for scrapping against Prust.

Van Rym Dysk. I liked what I saw. He provides some much needed size

Meclement, I didn't even notice him out there. I don't remember a single shift. He was wearing 11? Didn't dupuis used to wear that? I hope he plays better

Gunnerson I thought played a solid game. He looked poised and in control

Bozak, he'll never get any credits, he won't be liked. For a guy who was a freebie and costs us nothing compare to Komi , and once Connelly and Lombardi, takes the most criticism. all he does is his job.

Opponent:

Kaberle : Bro I loved you as a Leaf. It bothers me to see you like this. Please retire or play in KHL. Your just not the same player anymore

Armstrong: You were playing in ECHL during lock out. You should have stayed there
McClemment was good on the PK. That's why we signed him.

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Habs fans are the masters of being crybabies. Even after talking so much **** on your pre-game thread and stalking our pre-game/GDT and cross-posting, you still come back and cry after you lose. You need something better to do.
Habs fans tears. Now in Strawberry and Blueberry flavour!

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:12 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
McClemment was good on the PK. That's why we signed him.
Yeah I can't believe he's serious about that McClement comment. McClement was solid tonight. Made a lot of great defensive plays and was crucial on the PK.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Nazem in affect... where the haters at?! The boy will grow with confidence. And Benny Scrivens was good for us, that's all we need from him. Now stay consistent.

Player of the game: Kostka.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:14 PM
jughead42

As much as I'd like to be excited about the win, and I am a little bit, that Montreal team was pathetic for most of the game. We barely beat a pretty crummy team. Another thing that bothers me is the fact that we lost two faceoffs for every one that we won. Now if we were playing a good team and got schooled in the faceoff dot I could understand, but that Montreal team sucks. Our prized defensive acquisition McClement was as bad as all of them. Yuck.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:15 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

A WIN is a WIN!

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:16 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Who cares. We won.
The point is, we need to get a lot better very fast. I realize a lot of teams are playing sloppy hockey due to the lack of a proper training camp, but if we barely managed to get the W against an awful Habs team, we'll have our hands full with the Sabres, Pens, and Rags next week.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:17 PM
Hockeylaw

I thought both teams were a little bit scatterbrained, but I expected that after such a long break. Glad to see the win, and happy that Kadri and Kostka both had a strong performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Phaneuf needs to cut weight. He's a damn fridge.
He seemed quick enough gaining the zone on the Kadri goal.

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Peace Frog

Other than the Habs, it looks like the rest of the NE division came to play tonight. Oh well, the Buds just have to focus on their game and not worry about anyone else. Go Leafs Go!!

Peace Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
The point is, we need to get a lot better very fast. I realize a lot of teams are playing sloppy hockey due to the lack of a proper training camp, but if we barely managed to get the W against an awful Habs team, we'll have our hands full with the Sabres, Pens, and Rags next week.
I dont think the Sabres will be that tough, they really arent that good offensively, not saying they wont be tough but they arent a team to be feared either. The team IMO that will be the biggest handful is Pittsburgh, they have a healthy Crosby/Malkin plus they are playing their home opener, the ball will be it there court and how we respond will be the biggest test.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
I dont think the Sabres will be that tough, they really arent that good offensively, not saying they wont be tough but they arent a team to be feared either. The team IMO that will be the biggest handful is Pittsburgh, they have a healthy Crosby/Malkin plus they are playing their home opener, the ball will be it there court and how we respond will be the biggest test.
Agreed with this here.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Cor
LL Legend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
They were't that good offensively and then they traded their top line center for a bottom 6 guy...

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:23 PM
Polk High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
It was nice to see some structure

Polk High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
Agreed with this here.
Thanks. If Scrivens IS playing vs the pens he's going to have to be a lot better then tonight, he made saves but lets be honest the shots were from the outside against a lackluster habs team. I highly doubt we can keep Crosby and Malkin will be on the perimter all night, Scrivens will have to make some magical saves if we have any hopes of winning.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:25 PM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

been a long time since I posted but with hockey back its good to be back, that game was boring as hell but we won so no complaints. that third line played excellent

LolungoReboundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:27 PM
HenryH

Carey Price kept the habs in the game, without him Leafs would have gotten a few more goals in the first 2 periods.

HenryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:29 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Player of the game: Kostka.
He had a good first period. I don't think that warrants a player of the game nomination.

I think there were a few better players on the ice that had a more complete game.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote