General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

2013 Australian Open

Old
01-19-2013, 10:57 PM
kihei

vCash: 2235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
BTW, who is your guys' favorite commentator/analyst? Personally, I find myself agreeing (and like listening to) with Darren Cahill the most.
I don't even know the names of any, as I don't listen. My favourite is probably some BBC guy from the 1980s, when I did listen.

Flipkens is posing no threat and Maria isn't playing that well, so switching to Almagro/Tipsarevic.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
That would be Bruce McAvaney. Great when he's doing Aussie Rules Football, not so good when he's doing tennis. He's basically Australian version of Jim Courier. JC always gets on on his knees when an American is playing. McAvaney does it for Aussies.
Courier is alright too I think, but again I rarely hear his commentary. He's good with the on-court interviews; maybe the best. Not sure how his blind patriotism would stack up compared to the ESPN people.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:05 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Courier is alright too I think, but again I rarely hear his commentary. He's good with the on-court interviews; maybe the best. Not sure how his blind patriotism would stack up compared to the ESPN people.

Dont listen to ESPN for tennis so not sure how JC would stack up but he's a homer.

You are right though. His on court interviews are great. His commentary is good too unless an American is playing. He's got a man crush on that Harrison kid.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:10 PM
kihei

Nic looks sharp, and Janko plays the injury card early.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Dont listen to ESPN for tennis so not sure how JC would stack up but he's a homer.

You are right though. His on court interviews are great. His commentary is good too unless an American is playing. He's got a man crush on that Harrison kid.
Well he coaches the Davis Cup team, so it might not be prudent to slight the players he'll have to work with. A number of commentators have an undue esteem for Harrison's game. I don't think they're all Americans either.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:16 PM
kihei

Nic is playing well and takes the first game of the second set, while Janko seems to be setting up his ankle as the fall guy. We've seen this movie before. This could be a relatively early night...Almagro gets the early break while the odds on Janko retiring go up at the moment. Maybe not now, but soon if this continues, as he is making a big point about how he can't pivot off his ankle.

Last edited by kihei: 01-19-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old
01-19-2013, 11:23 PM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Nic is playing well and takes the first game of the second set, while Janko seems to be setting up his ankle as the fall guy. We've seen this movie before. This could be a relatively early night...Almagro gets the early break while the odds on Janko retiring go up at the moment.
My thought too. Tipsy has a lengthy retirement record at Grand Slam events.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:30 PM
kihei

Such an idiotic play from Tipsarevic. Nic is playing really well, but if Janko wasn't engaging in these amateur theatrics, he could still work his way back into the match as Almagro does have a tendency to go off the boil. It's such self-defeating behaviour.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

Almagro is actually playing pretty loosely right now. He hasn't been as aggressive as usual going for width and depth on his groundies, and he is serving at a low percentage. Maybe Janko's theatrics are affecting his play and he isn't going for as much.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:38 PM
kihei

Quote:
Almagro is actually playing pretty loosely right now. He hasn't been as aggressive as usual going for width and depth on his groundies, and he is serving at a low percentage. Maybe Janko's theatrics are affecting his play and he isn't going for as much.
His concentration did seem piss poor in that service game, but that's Almagro, too. He doesn't need Janko's encouragement to suddenly go south, he can do it all on his own....Oh, look, what a surprise.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

And there it is. Another retirement for Janko. Think it's 15-20 for his career and at least a handful in Slams.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Deficient Mode
Drilary Winton

Sigh. Ferrer and Almagro often combine for lovely tennis, but it's painful to watch Nico choke away all his opportunities in their matches. At least he disposed of Tipsy I guess.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:44 PM
kihei

Quote:
Sigh. Ferrer and Almagro often combine for lovely tennis, but it's painful to watch Nico choke away all his opportunities in their matches. At least he disposed of Tipsy I guess.
A result very much to David's liking, I should think. If I have any vbetting points after tonight, I'll go all in on Ferrer in that one.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:00 AM
kihei

Despite giving up a service break, Berdych dominated against an overmatched Anderson to win the first set.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:05 AM
17futurecap

Fun tiebreaker right there, but what a dud of a day overall.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:08 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Fun tiebreaker right there, but what a dud of a day overall.
15-13, right, but my eyes are glazing over. I think that set took just short of an hour and a half to play. Berdych looked good, but he so often looks good at this stage of a tournament.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:08 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
That was great to watch, but I'm glad it's over. Couldn't do a 5 hour match tonight and at that rate, maybe...

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:12 AM
17futurecap

Quote:
15-13, right, but my eyes are glazing over. I think that set took just short of an hour and a half to play. Berdych looked good, but he so often looks good at this stage of a tournament.
Yea 15-13, now the question is do I see any of the Novak match before I fall asleep? Hurry up and finish Aga!

Old
01-20-2013, 03:19 AM
17futurecap

Quote:
Pretty much anyone but Wilander on Eurosport. Most of the Aussie commentators are obnoxious, but they're rarely on the streams I watch. I'd say Goodall is my favorite. Cahill is definitely the best of the ESPN crew. Everyone else - Gilbert, Fowler, both McEnroes, Drysdale, Shriver, Fernandez - is insufferable.
This really is true. Worst are the people who work for the USTA who never say a bad thing about American tennis, looking at you Pmac and Mary Jo. At least Mary Jo is bringing along some talent, American men's tennis is terrible. I had to stop following Brad Gilbert on twitter, he has given every player a nickname, and it was driving me insane.

Best is when Tennis Channel shows Masters events, and they just use the masters feed, I enjoy most of those guys.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:33 AM
kihei

Quote:
Yea 15-13, now the question is do I see any of the Novak match before I fall asleep? Hurry up and finish Aga!
I feel committed to at least a set. I have no idea why, I just do. I keep thinking coffee, but I don't think it is the right idea.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:44 AM
17futurecap

Quote:
I feel committed to at least a set. I have no idea why, I just do. I keep thinking coffee, but I don't think it is the right idea.
Yea as long as Novak takes the first set I will probably head to bed. If Stan wins the first set, not sure what I will do .

Of course Stan with the early break. Now up two breaks, what a start.

Last edited by 17futurecap: 01-20-2013 at 03:57 AM.
Old
01-20-2013, 04:24 AM
kihei

Quote:
Yea as long as Novak takes the first set I will probably head to bed. If Stan wins the first set, not sure what I will do .

Of course Stan with the early break. Now up two breaks, what a start.
Yes, once Stan got that second break my head told my body, "Oh, ****." And here we are in the second set. What time is sunrise? Because I am going to be seeing it...and now Stan has a break in the second set. Truly amazing. Nole has been his own worst enemy so far....Stan looked a little tenser in that sixth game but he is still up 4-2. This is Wawrinka, though. He should find a way to make a hash of things...he holds for 5-2, point totals are 54-34 in favour of Stan at the moment, with Nole winning about 40% of the points on his first serve and about a third of the points on his second serve....Stan serves for the set, goes up 30-love and then hits three, arguably four bad unforced errors. Just like it was written in the stars or something....Nole holds with more help from Stan. Will this even get to a tie breaker?....not bloody likely as Stan is broken and now Nole will be serving for the set....and Djokovic holds easily for the set. Order has been restored; the rest should be a mere formality. Nighty night.

Last edited by kihei: 01-20-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old
01-20-2013, 04:32 AM
17futurecap

Quote:
Yes, once Stan got that second break my head told my body, "Oh, ****." And here we are in the second set. What time is sunrise? Because I am going to be seeing it...and now Stan has a break in the second set. Truly amazing. Nole has been his own worst enemy so far.
I am stunned right now, and agree that he has been his own worst enemy out there. I wonder how many people in North America are seeing this right now, me you and ????

Thought Stan was going to find a way to hold there at five all, not the case.

1 set all, I am throwing in the towel. If I wake up and see any other result than Novak in 4 sets, I will be mad I bailed on the match, Good luck watching Kihei!

Last edited by 17futurecap: 01-20-2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old
01-20-2013, 05:31 AM
MsMeow

Woke up because my cat was throwing up a hairball and saw the board. 6-1 Stan in the first? Wow. It's 2 all in the third now and I'm going to bed.

MsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Let's go Stan! 3-3 in the 5th!

Stan putting it all on the line here.

Really tough for Stan there. 4 break chances at 4-4 and can't convert. Really had a couple of good opportunities there but netted them.

Last edited by Tuggy: 01-20-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote