HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
Schroeder's not listed on Chicago's roster for tonight.

I think he's still in Vancouver.
Yup, not on the roster today. Absolutely no reason for that to be the case unless: a) he's still in Vancouver, or b) he's in Chicago but they've been told to keep him out as not to risk him getting injured.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
Even if Hodgson has 1st line upside, he didn't have 1st line upside for this team.

Who was Hodgson traded for? Kassian. Who's our best prospect right now? Jensen. Who was just drafted in 2012? Gaunce. The theme among these three? Size.

Gillis just spent two years having skilled players get rattled by big players who mix physicality with scoring and good defensive play. His hands are tied with the Sedins, but his hands weren't with Hodgson. Trading Hodgson and letting Ehrhoff walk in favor of Kassian and Garrison reflected a shift in Gillis' philosophy from skill and speed to size. Whether he's right in the long run is anyone's guess.

Kassian at 60 points > Hodgson at 80 points because Kassian offers things that Hodgson does not. However, Kassian has more risk at this point because he's more raw. Where does Schroeder fit into all of this?

Probably just a hold over until our big 3 prospects develop.
You're kind of making assumptions about my stance and arguing things that I wasn't arguing against.

I'm not moaning that we should have kept Hodgson, or condemning Schroeder's play by any stretch. I just hate when fans put on rose-colored glasses and totally lean to one side, downplaying the abilities of players the minute they leave.

I'm rooting for Schroeder and I admire his effort/performance these last two years, AND it's very possible that he could be a better fit for this team (I'm not confident about that either way) but I think it's pretty clear that Hodgson is the better prospect at this point. I'm happy with Kassian, but it's dumb to go "Hodgson wasn't that good anyways! Go Canucks!" IMO

That was the entire basis/intent of my comments. Not to complain, but to quell exaggeration.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-19-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old
01-19-2013, 07:19 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I'm not even arguing/moaning that we should have kept Hodgson, or condemning Schroeder's play by any stretch. I just hate when fans put on rose-colored glasses and totally lean to one side, downplaying the abilities of players the minute they leave.

I'm rooting for Schroeder and I admire his effort/performance these last two years, but I think it's pretty clear that Hodgson is the better prospect at this point.
Hodgson is the better prospect. Not sure anyone can argue with that right now. But playing for the Canucks, Kassian is probably the one who has a better chance to succeed considering he is willing to play with any ice time they give him

Old
01-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Hodgson is the better prospect. Not sure anyone can argue with that right now. But playing for the Canucks, Kassian is probably the one who has a better chance to succeed considering he is willing to play with any ice time they give him
That's fine-- Never implied otherwise.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
You're kind of making assumptions about my stance and arguing things that I wasn't arguing against.

I'm not even arguing/moaning that we should have kept Hodgson, or condemning Schroeder's play by any stretch. I just hate when fans put on rose-colored glasses and totally lean to one side, downplaying the abilities of players the minute they leave.

I'm rooting for Schroeder and I admire his effort/performance these last two years, but I think it's pretty clear that Hodgson is the better prospect at this point.
I think Hodgson has been given far more opportunity at the NHL level than Schroeder has. In fact, Schroeder has had NONE at all. When Schroeder does get the same opportunity, then we shall see who the better prospect is.

I think I have a pretty good head on my shoulders. I trust my instincts. I dont think you can make it without speed or strength in todays game and schroeder has both and Hodgson does not.

Schroeder is also durable and Hodgson is not.

Nobody says Schroeder has a better shot or better offensive instincts. Cody totally does. But Schroeder is also a first round draft pick. Its not like we picked the guy up on waivers.

Its my opinion Schroeder will make the better pro. I dont doubt your opinion. You seem reasonable to me. We just disagree on this point.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I think Hodgson has been given far more opportunity at the NHL level than Schroeder has. In fact, Schroeder has had NONE at all. When Schroeder does get the same opportunity, then we shall see who the better prospect is.

I think I have a pretty good head on my shoulders. I trust my instincts. I dont think you can make it without speed or strength in todays game and schroeder has both and Hodgson does not.

Schroeder is also durable and Hodgson is not.

Nobody says Schroeder has a better shot or better offensive instincts. Cody totally does. But Schroeder is also a first round draft pick. Its not like we picked the guy up on waivers.

Its my opinion Schroeder will make the better pro. I dont doubt your opinion. You seem reasonable to me. We just disagree on this point.
I don't doubt that you have a good head on your shoulders or anything-- I guess I'm just skeptical that you or nearly as many people on these boards (I've heard similar sentiments/Cody bashing) would lean so strongly in that direction if both were still on this team and there was no bad blood.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:56 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I gotta go with this as well. logic is sound.

What I am thinking from watching Schroeder is that he conforms to every situation he is in. In other words, he can and will develop at the NHL level and hes one of these guys who may be a better pro than he was a junior. At 22 he needs to play in the NHL now. I think he is fast enough and he will now learn more from being up here.
Yup, very sound logic. Our center depth is so great that we're playing an AHL journeyman center on our 2nd line tonight.

01-19-2013, 08:28 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Yup, very sound logic. Our center depth is so great that we're playing an AHL journeyman center on our 2nd line tonight.
our 13th forward last year who can't crack Anaheim's lineup is now our 2nd line center.

Last edited by jigsaw99: 01-19-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old
01-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Nice try. Blaming Ebbett for Schroeder having zero NHL games under his belt when we haven't played a game yet this season. Now that makes sesne.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Spectrefire

Well, Schroeder definitely isn't playing in Chicago. This likely means he'll be back very soon on the Canucks.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Well, Schroeder definitely isn't playing in Chicago. This likely means he'll be back very soon on the Canucks.
Given that both our posts were soundly ignored, I think you're just wasting your time. It's more fun to panic and ***** about our coach who had nothing to do with this decision.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Spectrefire

So the Ebbett experiment went off well.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:02 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
So the Ebbett experiment went off well.
That was certainly the only thing holding the team back tonight.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:03 AM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
I hope we can call him up tonight...........I believe kesler in on LTIR so we can bring him back

Old
01-20-2013, 12:04 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Ebbet sucks

Old
01-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
I hope we can call him up tonight...........I believe kesler in on LTIR so we can bring him back
Holy crap. Can no one here read. This has been covered on practically every single page.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
Ebbet sucks
Ebbett doesn't suck. He's just being forced to play out of his depth, which exposes him. On the bottom 6 he's quite serviceable.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

if JS is still there, can they waive ebbett tonight and start JS tomorrow?

Old
01-20-2013, 12:09 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Ebbett doesn't suck. He's just being forced to play out of his depth, which exposes him. On the bottom 6 he's quite serviceable.
i dont even want him bottom 6... too small and slow.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:09 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
if JS is still there, can they waive ebbett tonight and start JS tomorrow?
Nope. They can waive one of our 9 D but he won't clear until noon on Monday (doesn't make sense to waive Ebbett). The earliest Schroeder can get in the line-up would then be Wednesday against the Flames.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:10 AM
Spectrefire

All they need to do, is say goodbye to Cam Barker. That's ALL they need to do.

Why won't they say goodbye to Cam Barker?

Old
01-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
All they need to do, is say goodbye to Cam Barker. That's ALL they need to do.

Why won't they say goodbye to Cam Barker?
After tonight's defense, Barker could have started and not do as bad as hamhuis or bieksa tonight lol

Old
01-20-2013, 12:33 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Well I guess I was wrong guys. AV gave our 2nd line less ice time than he did our 4th line. I guess AV isn't the reason why Schroeder isn't on this team as he clearly has no faith in Ebbett either. Oh well. Glad we didn't lose him to waivers though. Icing a team without a second line didn't hurt us as we still scored a field goal. Too bad we needed a touchdown just to tie that game.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Moore Money

Watching Hodgson right now. what a terrible trade

Gillis is killing this team.

Atleast we have ebbett!! ****ing idiot GM.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:06 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Well I guess I was wrong guys. AV gave our 2nd line less ice time than he did our 4th line. I guess AV isn't the reason why Schroeder isn't on this team as he clearly has no faith in Ebbett either. Oh well. Glad we didn't lose him to waivers though. Icing a team without a second line didn't hurt us as we still scored a field goal. Too bad we needed a touchdown just to tie that game.
As it should be. Gretzky of the Netherlands was the most exciting player for me to watch yesterday. Did anyone else get that feeling? I'm not even joking.

Closed Thread