HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Kostka Discussion Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2013, 11:05 PM
  #26
Sergei Berezin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
I wouldnt mind seeing
Kostka Phaneuf
Gunnarson Gardiner
Liles Franson
Komi/Holzer
Gunnarsson Phaneuf
Gardiner Kostka
Liles Franson
Komi Holzer



I liked him, but didn't love him.

I'm worried he'll get exposed by better teams. His skating really isn't NHL level.

Don't expect to see him up for too long, but would be pleasantly surprised.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:14 PM
  #27
Kb21
Registered User
 
Kb21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,390
vCash: 500
he didn't stand out but also didn't look out of place. i'd be fine with him as one of our top 6 Dmen.

hope he can keep this up for the full season, if he can we sure found a gem.

Kb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:16 PM
  #28
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED
 
Giuseppe Sallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oakville, Ontario.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 500
He was good when he needed to be. Phaneuf needs to get back in shape.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:56 PM
  #29
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.
 
DeathToAllButMetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Gunnarsson Phaneuf
Gardiner Kostka
Liles Franson
Komi Holzer



I liked him, but didn't love him.

I'm worried he'll get exposed by better teams. His skating really isn't NHL level.
Then that makes him a nice bookend to Phaneuf, whose skating isn't close to NHL level, either. I didn't notice any serious skating issues with Kostka at all tonight.

Sure this will soon turn into another bizarre hatefest here, though. Kostka sucks, Komarov is awesome. Same deal with the hate for MacArthur and his consistently solid play, while most posters here love Kulemin, who's pretty much just terrible.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:02 AM
  #30
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,421
vCash: 500
I don't know why people are getting after his skating. It's average at the very least.

But I guess people need to pick out something to be down about in ol' bitter nation. Just like the people complaining about Phaneuf and Kessel tonight.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:06 AM
  #31
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I don't know why people are getting after his skating. It's average at the very least.

But I guess people need to pick out something to be down about in ol' bitter nation. Just like the people complaining about Phaneuf and Kessel tonight.
No, his skating was below average for someone who's been playing hockey all year. If his skating doesn't improve he will be exposed by faster teams. I know it's the first game and nobody is really up to speed, but he's been playing in the AHL all year. I'm not sure he has what it takes to be effective in the NHL for a long period of time. The players on both ends of the ice weren't up to their normal speed and his skating wasn't keeping up very well at this pace.

It was only his first game though, so we should give him a few games before we start judging him overall. This game I'd say was very average.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:08 AM
  #32
Badger Mayhew
Registered User
 
Badger Mayhew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 50
A good ol' Etobicoke boy! /Don Cherry

But seriously, people bashing him are just looking for something to whine about

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:10 AM
  #33
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
No, his skating was below average for someone who's been playing hockey all year. If his skating doesn't improve he will be exposed by faster teams. I know it's the first game and nobody is really up to speed, but he's been playing in the AHL all year. I'm not sure he has what it takes to be effective in the NHL for a long period of time. The players on both ends of the ice weren't up to their normal speed and his skating wasn't keeping up very well at this pace.

It was only his first game though, so we should give him a few games before we start judging him overall. This game I'd say was very average.
I didnt think he was slow at all. The only one that really looked slow for us was Franson. I think Kostka's skating was on par with Gunnar or maybe a little below that. Somewhere between Gunnar and Komi which I would say is about average.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:12 AM
  #34
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
A good ol' Etobicoke boy! /Don Cherry

But seriously, people bashing him are just looking for something to whine about
No really huh? They need to make an official whining thread where people can take all their whining and crying about petty stuff there. People can then whine about Kessel's commitment, Dion's captaincy, and now I guess Kostka's skating all they want in there.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:23 AM
  #35
tacoburrito
Registered User
 
tacoburrito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 519
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 50
i think he looked pretty good out there.. this has been along time coming for him and he did well overcoming what must have been alot of jitters

tacoburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:04 AM
  #36
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
No really huh? They need to make an official whining thread where people can take all their whining and crying about petty stuff there. People can then whine about Kessel's commitment, Dion's captaincy, and now I guess Kostka's skating all they want in there.
You're whining an awful lot about some pretty tame criticism, lol.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:13 AM
  #37
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats
 
Kyle Doobas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,828
vCash: 1170
I just watched the game twice on Gamecenter and can't recall a single glaring mistake he made.

Looked very very good for his first NHL game.

Kyle Doobas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:49 AM
  #38
KuleminFan41
Registered User
 
KuleminFan41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
No really huh? They need to make an official whining thread where people can take all their whining and crying about petty stuff there. People can then whine about Kessel's commitment, Dion's captaincy, and now I guess Kostka's skating all they want in there.
If the Leafs have Stamkos, and Chara people would find something to complain about

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:07 AM
  #39
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,938
vCash: 500
I hope people temper their expectations for this guy. He's done well but one game doesn't define a player.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:07 AM
  #40
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I hope people temper their expectations for this guy. He's done well but one game doesn't define a player.
True but if he does continue like this he has a deserved spot. Maybe trade someone down the line. We should stock up on picks this year regardless.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:53 AM
  #41
thatshype
Registered User
 
thatshype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I hope people temper their expectations for this guy. He's done well but one game doesn't define a player.
Agreed.


Another thing to consider is that he's played a full-season of hockey so far this year, unlike most of our other D. I think Franson might be the only other D-man that played competitively this season. Kostka said in an interview himself that he feels he's in mid-season form. I think as the season wears on, Kostka's performance will come down to Earth as the players around him get up to speed.

thatshype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:05 AM
  #42
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Agreed.


Another thing to consider is that he's played a full-season of hockey so far this year, unlike most of our other D. I think Franson might be the only other D-man that played competitively this season. Kostka said in an interview himself that he feels he's in mid-season form. I think as the season wears on, Kostka's performance will come down to Earth as the players around him get up to speed.
I believe Gunnarsson was playing in Allsvenskan during the lockout.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:05 AM
  #43
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
he had a good game. Hope he keeps it up.

Not sure about him on the PP... Guess he is holding the spot for Gards.

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:15 AM
  #44
Scoogs
Registered User
 
Scoogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,035
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
He's dreamy

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:32 AM
  #45
Frelimo
Registered User
 
Frelimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
If the Leafs have Stamkos, and Chara people would find something to complain about
Stamkos is not great defensively, therefore not a real first liner
Chara's skating is suspect
Trade them both or bury them in the minors, we need to let the young guys play.

Frelimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:45 AM
  #46
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,504
vCash: 500
Thought he was the best dman on the ice last night

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:16 AM
  #47
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Air Canada Center
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,011
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
i doubt he stays when gardiner comes back.

Was really solid last night, kept the game simple.

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:28 AM
  #48
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
i doubt he stays when gardiner comes back.

Was really solid last night, kept the game simple.
Ya, I was thinking this last night.

Pretty sure he sits when Gardiner comes back. Komi played a solid game last night, and if he keeps it up hes not sitting. He brings a totally different game then Kostka, one which we need.

IMO its between Kostka and Franson.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:29 AM
  #49
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Air Canada Center
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,011
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Ya, I was thinking this last night.

Pretty sure he sits when Gardiner comes back. Komi played a solid game last night, and if he keeps it up hes not sitting. He brings a totally different game then Kostka, one which we need.

IMO its between Kostka and Franson.
yup that's what i think as well.

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:30 AM
  #50
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!
 
FishManSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: I Bet You Hate T.O
Country: Croatia
Posts: 4,966
vCash: 500
Don't want to be negative, he had a great game, but you can tell he's lacking in foot speed, once everyone else in the league gets going again, he'll have a hard time keeping up with the pace imho.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.