HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville Predators vs Columbus Blue Jackets - 1-19-13

Old
01-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueBourqueBork View Post
Well, dammit.

Rinne really did pretty decent in the shootout. But not taking advantage of a guy who (was) less than 50% in shootouts is terrible.

I question Trotz's strategy with his SO choices.

Erat = yes
Fisher = no
Legwand = yes
Ellis = maybe? But not 4th right now.
Wilson = sure
Smith = not right now

WHERE IS KOSTITSYN? IS HE BEING PUNISHED FOR HIS BROTHER'S SINS?
Trotz says he usually bases it off of who does well in practice shootouts.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:04 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

My shootout order:

Erat
Kostitsyn
Legwand
---
Wilson
Ellis
Fisher
Smith
Klein
Spaling
Weber
Josi
Hornqvist
Halischuk
Gaustad
Hannan
Gill
---
---
---
Rinne
---
---
---
---
---
---
Yip

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Caught a couple glimpses whilst at work, how'd the young guns look? specifically Ellis and Josi?

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:12 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
On the positive end, we generated quite a few quality chances.

Unfortunately, we were stupid with the puck far too often. Peks was solid, but not stellar. We failed to convert on too many of those quality chances.

Lucky to get a point. Now, focus on St Louis.
I thought there were points where we looked like we had that playoff puck control in the offensive end. But then there were points where we looked like we didn't know what we were doing. Soft passes, blind passes, passes off the skates, being horribly out of position, etc.

I liked the play of several guys in particular.
-Josi didn't do anything to make me think he shouldn't be paired with Weber.
-Ellis was strong around the net (the offensive net).
-Hannan played a solid game, and I think he will prove to be a good addition.
-Some of the younger forwards looked good -- especially Smith. Wilson, outside of one horrible giveaway, was solid.
-Kostitsyn played pretty well.

A loss is bad, but a shootout loss is slightly less bad. At least we're not in the basement starting off. Time to prepare for St. Louis, because from the looks of it, they are going to be a lot tougher than the Blue Jackets.

The Blue Jackets themselves looked better. Much more solid on the blue line. Much better puck control. They didn't make as many of the mistakes that we usually feast on. We can't depend on them sucking to pick up a given W this season.

The Central is going to be a slaughterhouse this season, I think. We're going to have to get better, not only to fight to stay at the front end of the division, but to make the playoffs at all, considering it's an all-West schedule this season.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:16 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Caught a couple glimpses whilst at work, how'd the young guns look? specifically Ellis and Josi?
Josi didn't do anything spectacularly good or bad. I think he looked fine out there with Weber. It's not the same sort of telepathic pairing as 6-20 was...but I don't think anyone is expecting that right off the bat. He looks to have a harder shot than Suter, which is good.

Ellis played more like a second year guy than a rookie (which should be the case at this point, anyways). He scored the second goal (albeit it was probably his weakest chance -- sort of a softy) and had some other quality chances. He looks good around the offensive net. Him being paired with Gill is a good thing. The difference in style actually makes them a pretty good pair IMO.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:25 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:

WHERE IS KOSTITSYN? IS HE BEING PUNISHED FOR HIS BROTHER'S SINS?
You made me spit out my scotch!

Good game guys

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Trotz says he usually bases it off of who does well in practice shootouts.
And Sergei doesn't score in shootouts at practice nearly as often as some might think...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Josi didn't do anything spectacularly good or bad. I think he looked fine out there with Weber. It's not the same sort of telepathic pairing as 6-20 was...but I don't think anyone is expecting that right off the bat. He looks to have a harder shot than Suter, which is good.

Ellis played more like a second year guy than a rookie (which should be the case at this point, anyways). He scored the second goal (albeit it was probably his weakest chance -- sort of a softy) and had some other quality chances. He looks good around the offensive net. Him being paired with Gill is a good thing. The difference in style actually makes them a pretty good pair IMO.
Thanks, that's good to hear. I saw Josi led the team in TOI, being unspectacular either way is probably a good thing if he got 27 min. on ice. Nice to see the young guys get so much ice time, I believe Wilson got almost 20.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:52 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

We got a point but were very rusty. Feels good to be back.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
We got a point but were very rusty. Feels good to be back.
Yeah, I don't even care if we make the playoffs, well yeah I do, I'm just so happy to have the game back.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:06 PM
dknash

Looks like Fisher hasn't scored in a shootout since 09-10. So I guess he's due.

Although, in fairness, we only have five guys who have ever scored in a shootout in the NHL. Yip is one of them (Colin, Legwand, Erat, Fisher). SK apparently had at least one SOG in the KHL this year.

Still, Fisher is at lifetime 25%, which would slot in between Tampa and Florida for next to last in all-time shootout %, obviously well below the average. We should do better.

dknash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
From the other side, Josi looked pretty steady those few times that I noticed him (sorry, I was paying much more attention to my guys ).

Ellis, tho? The Human Rocket Ship was freaking terrifying. Until the shootout, at least.

And yes, during the Dorsett-Hannan scrap I thought it was Tootoo at first too.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:19 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

The reason why I'm not too upset is because the whole league looks ****ing rusty. And we got a point. Bourques return will help. Mcgratten was useless and played 6 mins.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:46 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
The reason why I'm not too upset is because the whole league looks ****ing rusty. And we got a point. Bourques return will help. Mcgratten was useless and played 6 mins.
Yeah...shortened training camp was definitely evident all day. Even with the referees.

I'm not upset, but disappointed, since we had opportunities to make it two points instead of one.

McGrattan is pretty useless. I'm wondering if the new guy will take his place. I expect Bourque to provide a spark to the bottom 6. With him in the lineup, we have one of the better bottom 6's in the league, IMO.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:59 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Ellis stood out to me as belonging just fine. I thought Anisimov's game tying goal was beautiful, but Gaustad should've never let it get to that point. Weber fighting was stupid. Bob left tons of juicy rebounds but we just couldn't convert. I'm not displeased but am a little terrified for Monday's game. Anyways, felt great being back at the Bridge tonight.

Oh and I'm ready to see Clune get a shot on Monday too. I want to see our new human wrecking ball.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Marty Party
@ The Bridge

Hope this game looked better on TV than in person. We looked like hot garbage live. Plus the arena was dead tonight which was weird.

Then there were people wearing street cloths trying to start the wave during the 3rd period in a couple of sections. SMH.

May be another 6-0 game for the Blues on Monday with how we looked tonight.

Marty Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:15 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Party View Post
Hope this game looked better on TV than in person. We looked like hot garbage live. Plus the arena was dead tonight which was weird.

Then there were people wearing street cloths trying to start the wave during the 3rd period in a couple of sections. SMH.

May be another 6-0 game for the Blues on Monday with how we looked tonight.
I was watching from Milwaukee. Lots of mistakes by both teams. I thought that the BJs second goal could have been stopped. By Gaustad, if not by Rinne. Pekka went down way too early on that one!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:22 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Party View Post

Yeah what was with those people? Luckily it never took off. And yes the arena was dead, but I guess when all of your scoring is in the 1st period it can get like that. Oh well, hopefully Monday we can pull off a big W.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I was watching from Milwaukee. Lots of mistakes by both teams. I thought that the BJs second goal could have been stopped. By Gaustad, if not by Rinne. Pekka went down way too early on that one!
I do agree it was savable, but backhanders like that can be very deceiving. I thought Rinne looked like himself tonight for the most part.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:45 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Looking at scores from around the league, at least we did get a point and didn't get blown out. Hope we shore up our play in our own end and get better shots on net, going to need it against the Blues.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:22 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

What's the story with Smith's ice time tonight?

I didn't get a chance to watch.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:55 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
What's the story with Smith's ice time tonight?

I didn't get a chance to watch.
He started off on the 2nd line, but he was giving away pucks way too easily. By that I mean passing it to no one and columbus usually got to it first. Trotz mentioned his turnovers playing a part in him getting hardly any ice time in the 3rd period. Shame too cuz he had some great speed and some great passes too. He'll get the hang of it. I'll call it rust.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:00 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Yeah what was with those people? Luckily it never took off.
Yeah, what was with those people trying to have fun at a sporting event? How dare they!

Everyone was sloppy on opening night everywhere in the league. A lot of the goals that happened league-wide should not have happened. We were the beneficiaries of that last night, and maybe we were victims of it as well on the Foligno goal. (What I mean by that is, one of the two knuckleheads on defense should have picked him up and not let him chop the puck down between Rinne's legs.)

The key to the game was Anisimov. We got Gaustad and Gill to deal with guys like that, and he just brushed them aside, showing off a nasty backhand in the process. I loved that guy in New York, but if he keeps doing that, I'm going to hate him in Columbus.

Rinne was no less adventurous than Vokoun was in his Predators days, and I think he'll tighten up as we get rolling. Same goes for the guys who didn't play during the lockout. We showed flashes of what we can do, particularly in the last 5-6 minutes or so of regulation, but it'll take a couple of games for us to get the engine up and running from a cold start.

If we're still playing like this by game 10, we have an issue, but I don't think 2-3 games of messy play is indicative of how this season will go.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:22 AM
utkpred

We still lack a bona fide scoring threat and it's driving me mad.

utkpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Tough loss, but I'm not too upset other than not being thrilled about the shootout roster. I watched a lot of hockey yesterday; we looked better than many including VAN, NYR, LA, DET, etc. Give the Jackets some credit too; they played a pretty solid game.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote