HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

80's parallels

Old
01-20-2013, 04:19 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 500
80's parallels

As the Oilers are one of the 2 or 3 teams that are tied for my 2nd favourite, and not being alive to see their dynasty, I am curious to know which current players/prospects are most like which 80's players.

The two obvious ones in my opinion are:
Schultz=Coffey
Klefbom=Lowe

However the rest aren't as obvious.

Does being the first line centre make RNH most like Gretz?
Which of the wingers Hall, Eberle, and Yakupov have the defensive game like Tikkanen?
Do Hemsky, Paajarvi, or Lander fit anywhere?

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:45 AM
40oz

None of the above, every player the Oilers have ever drafted gets compared to some great from the 80's. It's ridiculous and annoying.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:04 AM
BadMedicine*

There are many paralells in player dimensions but there is no way the old Oilers started with this level of talent ,no way in Hades!!

That vintage version catalysed around a single force of nature named Wayne Gretzky and then galvanised into a championship team off of his absolute onice managment of their vision and perspective--the "system"they used was Wayne Gretzky himself.There isnt and never was a "book"on the system they used or that template would have been duplicated over and over.Well there is the NewAge Hockey System which is very similar in concept but not proven officially on the ice.

We only need one thing from that old Dynasty and it is the "book"on Waynes brain or as close a fascimile as we can beg -borrow-or rent and ASAP.

We are set to create the perfect storm but only have a two year window now,we need an elite system of play that will accomodate the elite talent we have here now,we can literally almost step right into Waynes third year in the league type of team ability if we can put these already ultra-skilled players on Waynes onice page at the same time.

My support is with Ralph and his system choices because this is one high powered powder keg he is sitting on,one spark at the wrong time and this could blow up in everyones faces--we need an accurate system choice as a priority and we dont have much more time to make a serious assesment of wether we are on track or not,this is Ralphs chance--by the 24 game mark we will have an answer as to wether we need changes or not. Teams much more experienced AND talented than this group have floundered playing inadequate systems.I said this team is starting with more talent than the Dynasty did,but only the hockey god knows if even one of them will ever end up as talented and skilled as those Hall of Famers became as they evolved together back then and dominated the entire league.With an illfitting system those stars can fade fast.May the force be with Krueger in his choice.

BadMedicine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:52 AM
Everest

That would be like comparing fools gold to gold.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:08 AM
Fourier

I think the OP asked the question more about style than to suggest that these players will or are as good.

Stylewise I would say that the two most obvious comparisons are

Gretzky ---- RNH
Schultz ---- Coffey

After that it gets a little tougher.

Hall ---- Messier

is not quite correct, though Hall may play the role of the emotional leader. Messier was much meaner and less wreckless than Hall. In a way I think that

Hall --- Anderson

might make as much sense.

I don't think there is a good match for Eberle on that 80's team.

As far as his shot goes you might compare Yakupov with Kurri, but that is about the only real similarity in their games outside of both being great skaters.

I don't actually see the Klefbom -- Lowe comparison myself. Lowe was not as good a skater but he was straight up nasty, something that I don't yet see in Klefbom.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:41 AM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

Frankly I see comparisons with 09/10 Hawks more so than the dynasty era.

Nuge - Toews obviously Toews is better defensively but in terms of offence the are equal and who knows Nuge might improve his defensive play

Hall - Hossa big strong wingers again Hossa better defensively but I think Hall's defensive game will mature

Yakupov - Kane Yakupov is a potential offensive dynamo much like Kane.

Eberle - Sharp Both great offensively but Eberle's defensive game needs to mature.

Schultz - Keith excellent offensive dmen

Klefbom - Seabrook Keflbom looks like he'll be primarily a shut down dman with an offensive flare.

Dubnyk - Niemi Dubnyk will hopefully develop into a serviceable starter like Niemi.

With four offensively talented forwards, two great dman and serviceable goaltending. I think this Hawks team is a closer comparison to what we hope our team will because.

ResilientBeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:10 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
RNH is the most Gretzky like player I've seen since Gretzky. He skates like Gretzky, he turns like Gretzky, and he seems to see the ice kind of like Gretzky. Gretzky himself said as much in Terry Jones's article today.

He'll never be close to as good as Gretzky (no one will) but stylistically the resemblance is uncanny.

You have to squint pretty hard to see any of the old Oilers in Hall, Eberle, Schultz, and Yak; that's fine though, they'll forge their own identities.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Oilerz

Please, make no mistake, we no one comparable to Messier on this Team, and thats what we need. Oh and defence.
And a goalie. Or two.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Asher

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Sethis

The Messier factor of someone who was bat**** crazy, strong as anyone in the league, never ever stopped, led like a Rommell or MacArthur and kept up the scoring with anyone not wearing 99 or 66 is something that is not inherent in ANY of our young guys.

I never got to see/appreciate him at his peak, just started understanding hockey really around '94. The closest things I've seen since are Forsberg and Toews, and realistically he was a hybrid of their best traits in my (perhaps romanticized childhood) view.

Also, I don't think any of them have shown the chops to become the best player of all time, unfortunately.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:18 AM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
The Messier factor of someone who was bat**** crazy, strong as anyone in the league, never ever stopped, led like a Rommell or MacArthur and kept up the scoring with anyone not wearing 99 or 66 is something that is not inherent in ANY of our young guys.

I never got to see/appreciate him at his peak, just started understanding hockey really around '94. The closest things I've seen since are Forsberg and Toews, and realistically he was a hybrid of their best traits in my (perhaps romanticized childhood) view.

Also, I don't think any of them have shown the chops to become the best player of all time, unfortunately.
Sigh. Yep, there's no player like #11 in the league today. I thought Getzlaf might come close, but as good as he is, he's way too inconsistent.

The thing with Mess was that I don't think I ever saw him thrown off his game. Ever. He could skate with anyone, relished physical play, and if you tried to antagonize him, he'd throw a sneaky elbow and knock your teeth out. Even when he took suspensions, they always seemed to be cold and calculating, not of the, 'geez, he's losing it' variety.

I think Hall has a bit of that, in that his engine never stops. Bad teams, losong streaks, blowout games... He's always out there giving it his all. But Messier wouldn't leave himself vulnerable to big hits like Hall does. And obviously Hall doesn't have the mean streak- but you couldnt in today's game without getting banned from the league.

DisgruntledGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Smaug

The only comparison between the eighties team and the young team developing now is the saturation level of forward talent.

The old team core had Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Anderson, & Coffey. Defense and goaltending suspect.

The modern team core has RNH, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, & Schutz. Defense and goaltending suspect.

Take away Gretz and the two groups are very comparible in terms of individual skill level.

However, comparing individual skills is irrelevant. It is a team sport and what counts most is how these players compete together and bring their total package of skills to bear on the opposition.

Smaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
The only comparison between the eighties team and the young team developing now is the saturation level of forward talent.

The old team core had Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Anderson, & Coffey. Defense and goaltending suspect.

The modern team core has RNH, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, & Schutz. Defense and goaltending suspect.

Take away Gretz and the two groups are very comparible in terms of individual skill level.

However, comparing individual skills is irrelevant. It is a team sport and what counts most is how these players compete together and bring their total package of skills to bear on the opposition.

I am not sure if you are talking about the very early 80's or later, but the Oilers goaltending and defense were not suspect by '83. In Moog and Fuhr you had two HoF calibre goalies and the team had a very solid and balanced defense for most of the dynasty years.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post

I'm not sure you have to take away Gretz. I hear he wasn't too bad some nights, comparable even to the guys we have now.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:49 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
As the Oilers are one of the 2 or 3 teams that are tied for my 2nd favourite, and not being alive to see their dynasty, I am curious to know which current players/prospects are most like which 80's players.

The two obvious ones in my opinion are:
Schultz=Coffey
Klefbom=Lowe

However the rest aren't as obvious.

Does being the first line centre make RNH most like Gretz?
Which of the wingers Hall, Eberle, and Yakupov have the defensive game like Tikkanen?
Do Hemsky, Paajarvi, or Lander fit anywhere?
Lander is our Tikkanen without the ability to beat up on people. He is notoriously mouthy on the ice. Watch how many penalties he draws from guys going way to hard on him. It's because he's lippy.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Hartkianen = Tikannen

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:41 PM
oilersfan87

Since we're making ridiculous comparisons I'll join in:
RNH=Gretzky
Eberle=Anderson
Hall=Messier
Yakupov=Kurri
Hartkianen=Tikannen
J.Schultz=Coffey
Smid=Lowe
Dubnyk= Fuhr

The dynasty begins tonight

oilersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Eager = Semenko

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Hartkianen = Tikannen
No one on this team is Tikkannen. He was absloutely one of a kind.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:07 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

There is no
Messier
Tikkanen
Or
Fuhr

On this team

This I know

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:09 PM
misfit

Talk about setting yourself up for disappointment. Don't compare this team to the Oilers of the 80's and you'll enjoy the next few years a lot more.

01-20-2013, 05:15 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Talk about setting yourself up for disappointment. Don't compare this team to the Oilers of the 80's and you'll enjoy the next few years a lot more.
Exactly

This will be a fun team to cheer for but don't go ........... Dynasty or 80's

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:41 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
No one on this team is Tikkannen. He was absloutely one of a kind.
It's true. The Finns thought he was speaking English at them, the Canadians thought he was speaking Finnish. Little did they know he invented his own language to mess with their heads. The only player that even had a little Tikkanen in them since he left the game was Sean Avery. I don't care what anyone says his stunt against Brodeur in the playoffs was freaking amazing. When I saw that I started laughing like a lunatic and thought "why didn't I ever think of that?"

It's tough to find a player that is that good at getting in peoples heads. There is only one Esa Tikkanen, just like there is only one Gary Payton. Those guys are the epitome of guys that get under your skin.

Could Laddy be our new version of Charlie Huddy? or is that Nick Schultz?

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Logo.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:18 PM
BadMedicine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Lander is our Tikkanen without the ability to beat up on people. He is notoriously mouthy on the ice. Watch how many penalties he draws from guys going way to hard on him. It's because he's lippy.
This is exactly why I believe we will need Lander on the roster to win a Cup,we need a catalyst to draw more penaltys to feed our PP and being mouthy is risky but draws penaltys it doesnt get you penaltys.

maybe soon we will see a Nordic 3rd line complete on the big team.

BadMedicine* is offline   Reply With Quote