HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeremy Jacobs is angry about lockout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2013, 08:56 PM
  #1
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,115
vCash: 580000
Jeremy Jacobs is angry about lockout

Jacobs had a news conference tonight. Here is the audio.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2156653/0119...lie_Jacobs.mp3

Jacobs cited his team’s situation – recent Stanley Cup winner, playing in a sold-out building, featuring a contending roster – as reasons why, as an owner, he would have been against a lockout. However, as board chairman, Jacobs said he had a greater responsibility. “I’m the last guy that wants to shut this thing down. Absolutely the last ones out there,” Jacobs said. “There’s a couple Canadian teams – I don’t have to name them – that irrespective are going to be very successful. This is a successful franchise. I don’t want this to shut down. Unfortunately, I play in a league with 30 teams. When I step back and look at what’s going on with the broadest sense, I’ve got to play a role productively in that way. My selfish interest definitely was to keep this going within the parameters of the deal that was out there. But it doesn’t make sense for the league long-term. We have a lot of people that were very tired of this. A lot of people that were promised we would right-size this. I had to play a role in it. From a leadership standpoint, I think I had to play a role. To be vilified, I don’t think is right. But what’s my opinion on something like that?”

“Nobody won,” Jacobs said. “More importantly, nobody lost. If I won and they lost, then we both lost. If I won and they lost, we both lose. This is a game. We did hurt the game. We didn’t just hurt Boston. We hurt the game of hockey.”

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:00 PM
  #2
Confound
Vindication
 
Confound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 17,790
vCash: 500
Cry me a river Jacobs.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:00 PM
  #3
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221
 
BigBadBruin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
Country: Ireland
Posts: 9,028
vCash: 320
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
**** Jeremy Jacobs.

That is all.

__________________
"The only thing that beats winning [in Toronto] is winning in Montreal.--Aaron Ward

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:05 PM
  #4
BigGoalBrad*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Loge 22
Posts: 4,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Jacobs had a news conference tonight. Here is the audio.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2156653/0119...lie_Jacobs.mp3

Jacobs cited his team’s situation – recent Stanley Cup winner, playing in a sold-out building, featuring a contending roster – as reasons why, as an owner, he would have been against a lockout. However, as board chairman, Jacobs said he had a greater responsibility. “I’m the last guy that wants to shut this thing down. Absolutely the last ones out there,” Jacobs said. “There’s a couple Canadian teams – I don’t have to name them – that irrespective are going to be very successful. This is a successful franchise. I don’t want this to shut down. Unfortunately, I play in a league with 30 teams. When I step back and look at what’s going on with the broadest sense, I’ve got to play a role productively in that way. My selfish interest definitely was to keep this going within the parameters of the deal that was out there. But it doesn’t make sense for the league long-term. We have a lot of people that were very tired of this. A lot of people that were promised we would right-size this. I had to play a role in it. From a leadership standpoint, I think I had to play a role. To be vilified, I don’t think is right. But what’s my opinion on something like that?”

“Nobody won,” Jacobs said. “More importantly, nobody lost. If I won and they lost, then we both lost. If I won and they lost, we both lose. This is a game. We did hurt the game. We didn’t just hurt Boston. We hurt the game of hockey.”
Fair points.

Like him or loath him JJ had an excellent 5 year run as owner leading up to the lockout.

B/C of the petulance of the players (justified or not) there was never going to be a quicker compromise. No one had any intentions of signing a deal until the drop dead date was a week away. Because of this I have no more angst because of the lockout. Neither side was dumb enough to miss a season. The players should have taken this deal sooner but oh well. And they should have demanded Bettman get fired given the fact he's been in charge for 3 of these things. I have no clue how the NHLPA didn't get Bettmans resignation in the deal.

Casual fans only really start caring about hockey around now anyway.

BigGoalBrad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:11 PM
  #5
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: looking for tylenol
Country: United States
Posts: 45,773
vCash: 500
Awards:
It's over.
Don't care.

__________________



You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:18 PM
  #6
NinthSpoke06
Registered User
 
NinthSpoke06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chestnut Hill
Country: United States
Posts: 10,524
vCash: 500
Jacobs is spot on. But few here will be able to get past the "Jacobs is a cheapskate" motto to realize this.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:34 PM
  #7
Mr. Make-Believe
Moderator
Pass me another nail
 
Mr. Make-Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Erotic Fantasies
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,771
vCash: 500
...

Jacobs is angry about the lockout?

That makes two of us, f***face.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:02 PM
  #8
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty
 
Dellstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 21,885
vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
It's over.
Don't care.
Agreed. I could say a lot about him, but **** it. I had an awesome day today watching two awesome games, gonna watch a few more now.

Hockey is back and I'd prefer to look ahead rather than back at the past ****** 3 and a half months.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:25 PM
  #9
ksp1957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: South Shore
Posts: 17,406
vCash: 1430
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
...

Jacobs is angry about the lockout?

That makes two of us, f***face.
^THIS !!!

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:33 PM
  #10
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,383
vCash: 500
What a ****ing hero.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:36 PM
  #11
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221
 
BigBadBruin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
Country: Ireland
Posts: 9,028
vCash: 320
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Fair points.

Like him or loath him JJ had an excellent 5 year run as owner leading up to the lockout.

B/C of the petulance of the players (justified or not) there was never going to be a quicker compromise. No one had any intentions of signing a deal until the drop dead date was a week away. Because of this I have no more angst because of the lockout. Neither side was dumb enough to miss a season. The players should have taken this deal sooner but oh well. And they should have demanded Bettman get fired given the fact he's been in charge for 3 of these things. I have no clue how the NHLPA didn't get Bettmans resignation in the deal.

Casual fans only really start caring about hockey around now anyway.
The petulance of the players? Spare me. This lockout is on the owners. Jacobs should have been looking in the mirror with those horse**** comments he made today.

And the players should have taken it sooner? This deal, which came off an offer from the players' side IIRC, was very similar to a package that the players submitted to the owners weeks before that the owners threw a hissy fit over.

Thank God they came to an agreement, because I'm sick of talking about it, and I'm done talking about it.

Hockey's back. Finally.

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:38 PM
  #12
ksp1957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: South Shore
Posts: 17,406
vCash: 1430
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
The petulance of the players? Spare me. This lockout is on the owners. Jacobs should have been looking in the mirror with those horse**** comments he made today.

And the players should have taken it sooner? This deal, which came off an offer from the players' side IIRC, was very similar to a package that the players submitted to the owners weeks before that the owners threw a hissy fit over.

Thank God they came to an agreement, because I'm sick of talking about it, and I'm done talking about it.

Hockey's back. Finally.
And the more Jeremy Jacobs can keep his big fat ******* mouth shut about the lockout, which he caused, the better I'll like it. Both Fehr and Bettman should either resign or be put in front of a firing squad.

First the dumbass remark about Neely and now this. I liked it better when the moron was an absentee owner.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:53 PM
  #13
stungun
Registered User
 
stungun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Portland, ME
Country: United States
Posts: 1,488
vCash: 500
His buddy Bettman should put a permanent gag order on this clown, just friggin go away and let Charlie count the peanuts and Cam do the press and publicity.

stungun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:08 PM
  #14
mikelvl
Registered User
 
mikelvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,090
vCash: 500
Jacobs just can't keep his big mouth shut. He showed it with the Neely comment and he is showing it now. Crawl back under the rock you came out from out in Buffalo. I don't want to hear from you again. Disgraceful.

mikelvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:15 AM
  #15
DJENTLEMAN
Clode's Homie
 
DJENTLEMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
Jacobs is spot on. But few here will be able to get past the "Jacobs is a cheapskate" motto to realize this.
This.

When you take the rest of the league into context, with multiple franchises failing (they need to be moved - some of those markets are on the owners at the time for pushing for them), he's spot on. Some of the markets are still in financial hardship, which is pulling at what the profits should be in the stronger markets (how anyone could advocate for pulling money from strong markets and redistributing them into failing markets is beyond me) and that needed / still needs to be corrected for the future of the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
The petulance of the players? Spare me. This lockout is on the owners. Jacobs should have been looking in the mirror with those horse**** comments he made today.

And the players should have taken it sooner? This deal, which came off an offer from the players' side IIRC, was very similar to a package that the players submitted to the owners weeks before that the owners threw a hissy fit over.

Thank God they came to an agreement, because I'm sick of talking about it, and I'm done talking about it.
Please correct me if I'm wrong - wasn't the deal that was ultimately signed essentially the same deal that was proposed to the players back in October when a full 82 games could've been played?

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:22 AM
  #16
stungun
Registered User
 
stungun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Portland, ME
Country: United States
Posts: 1,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAndersonBTR View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong - wasn't the deal that was ultimately signed essentially the same deal that was proposed to the players back in October when a full 82 games could've been played?
they havent even dotted all the I's and crossed the T's on the new CBA, who really knows what it is going to look like. we do know the owners and PA were willing to compromise on early buyouts this past week. i highly doubt the owners would of locked out the players if this was the same "deal" they offered back in october, that makes zero sense. this new cba was bargained over 4 plus months not to end up being something that was already tabled. the problem was both sides refused to budge for too long and they could of done all this last summer. nobody's right in the end.

stungun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:25 AM
  #17
Kaoz*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,632
vCash: 500
Jesus, the guy comes out and hands out vouchers personally for the game. Then comes out apologizing profusely for his part in the lockout and tries to explain the business aspect so people will actually understand it and gets nothing but vitriol?

If Jacobs was the greedy evil villain most thought he wouldn't have taken the time to do either. Neither action will put tons of butts in the seats now will payoff large for him in any measurable way.

Funniest part about this whole post lockout scenario is you keep hearing "what is the NHL going to do for us fans?" I see owners doing a ton with free concessions, free tickets, massive discounts on season tickets, and public apologies, I don't see players doing anything similar even though they are taking home 50% of revenues.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:37 AM
  #18
DJENTLEMAN
Clode's Homie
 
DJENTLEMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stungun View Post
they havent even dotted all the I's and crossed the T's on the new CBA, who really knows what it is going to look like. we do know the owners and PA were willing to compromise on early buyouts this past week. i highly doubt the owners would of locked out the players if this was the same "deal" they offered back in october, that makes zero sense. this new cba was bargained over 4 plus months not to end up being something that was already tabled. the problem was both sides refused to budge for too long and they could of done all this last summer. nobody's right in the end.
That would make zero sense, that's why I'm asking.

It may not have been the same exact deal, but I was under the belief that most of the major items that we have been told were being fought over and eventually passed were the same as the October proposal to save 82 games.

Again, I find it to make zero sense and if this is the case, anyone advocating that the owners are to blame are out of their skulls insane.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:51 AM
  #19
XtremeofParanoia
Registered User
 
XtremeofParanoia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,122
vCash: 500
He's sorry.

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:59 AM
  #20
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF
 
Jean_Jacket41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: With the smurfs
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,166
vCash: 500
Jacobs is my favorite owner.

Eat that haters.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:22 AM
  #21
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,115
vCash: 580000
Jacobs has always been an easy target but....


Until the lost season of 2004-5, Jacobs trusted the business to Harry Sinden. Harry had carte blanche and it was not until Charlie showed up that Jeremy took a harder look at Boston.

Charlie told his dad that we have to clean house and that is what happened.

My only beef with Jacobs is he helped allow the NHL to get too big.

Look none of us will ever understand why Bettman fought for Phoenix.

In 5 years or less the NHL will be in Quebec City, Seattle and a second team in Toronto. The unknown is relocation or expansion.

Jacobs at least has done something for Bruins fans - look at how little Chicago has done.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Jesus, the guy comes out and hands out vouchers personally for the game. Then comes out apologizing profusely for his part in the lockout and tries to explain the business aspect so people will actually understand it and gets nothing but vitriol?

If Jacobs was the greedy evil villain most thought he wouldn't have taken the time to do either. Neither action will put tons of butts in the seats now will payoff large for him in any measurable way.

Funniest part about this whole post lockout scenario is you keep hearing "what is the NHL going to do for us fans?" I see owners doing a ton with free concessions, free tickets, massive discounts on season tickets, and public apologies, I don't see players doing anything similar even though they are taking home 50% of revenues.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:54 AM
  #22
topcat986*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Jesus, the guy comes out and hands out vouchers personally for the game. Then comes out apologizing profusely for his part in the lockout and tries to explain the business aspect so people will actually understand it and gets nothing but vitriol?

If Jacobs was the greedy evil villain most thought he wouldn't have taken the time to do either. Neither action will put tons of butts in the seats now will payoff large for him in any measurable way.

Funniest part about this whole post lockout scenario is you keep hearing "what is the NHL going to do for us fans?" I see owners doing a ton with free concessions, free tickets, massive discounts on season tickets, and public apologies, I don't see players doing anything similar even though they are taking home 50% of revenues.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.


^ what he said and Teams in Winnipeg owe Jacobs a huge thank you along with Edmonto Calgary and Carolina etc. He has not held back to Chiarelli over the past years either. Some of you need to get over your preconseived thought on him. Hell he isnt Bob Kraft but at least he is putting a great product on the ice.

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:33 AM
  #23
RussellmaniaKW
Registered User
 
RussellmaniaKW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,863
vCash: 500
how anyone can read that and disagree with what he's saying is beyond me.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:28 AM
  #24
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 12,012
vCash: 500
I'm not going to read or listen to this kind of crap for another 8 years

I don't care what he said, I'm not reading it, I don't care what any PA person has to say in response.

I'm going to watch hockey!!!

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:24 AM
  #25
Over the volcano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Watertown
Posts: 21,548
vCash: 500
His comments are totally self serving - but that's hardly a surprise.

Over the volcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.