Notices

Question For Jets Fans Plus Opinion

Old
01-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Rodrigo
AKA Jose

vCash: 500
Question For Jets Fans Plus Opinion

Hello Winnipeg Jetters!! Ottawa Senators fan coming in piece and I am not here to bash you guys for loosing today. I am not that kind of person, The Jets are actually my second favorite team behind the Sens and I actually thought you guys played quite well today accept for the score but I believe you are a team with GREAT POTENTIAL! I just don't know when that will rectify itself.

Anyways onto the thread and I have a question for all Jets fans as I am a new user to HFB and I just never took the time to get an account. But yesterday I did lol so its good to be here. But honestly I have never been able to find answers to this question cause there aren't to many Jets fans in the Toronto Area where I come from. Yes I live near Toronto and I don't cheer for the Leafs! Sens and Jets all the way!!!! But do you guys like what the Jets are doing?? And when I say that are you guys complacent with what Cheveldayoff has done?, What the Coaching Staff has compiled? Ownership? Teams play are the main logistics I am asking about and all state my opinion below on what I think has transpired over the last year.

Honestly the only thing that has flabbergasted me is the young guys, team leaders and the drafting! I am sorry but thats how I feel and I don't mean any negativity by this but this is my honesty to you guys. I know what it is like to rebuild as the Sens have been alluded by one for the last little while and are finally on track. I have really liked your last 2 first round picks! I believe Schiefele will become a prodigious asset and dynamic player for a long time, and I believe Trouba has potential to become a franchise player, I also like your one prospect Scott Kosmachuk of the Guelph Storm. I believe he will be a good player. So drafting I am satisfied! And with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds this year I expect your system will become top 15 in the NHL at least.

I have been dumbfounded by how Kane, Bogosian and Burmistrov are developing, plus Wheeler and Little. And I think that Ladd and Big Buff should finish there careers here and become longtime players and the corner stones of this organization since they both have won the Stanley Cup and Ladd has 2 and is still at a great age at 27 and has his best years ahead of him. But I have not been impressed with Cheveldayoff besides his drafting plus a few exceptions including picking up Clitsome. and the extensions to Kane and Toby! I do not like the hiring of Noel and have been against it since he was hired and I don't understand why Cheveldayoff likes him so much. I just don't like the way he coaches and how he can't get the best out of his team! I wish they hired Haviland. And I hope Noel is fired after this year! And last but not least I don't like how Cheveldayoff has handled the roster and that includes signing Olie and Pony, bringing back Slater, signing all of these veterans etc! I wish he would go the youth route cause you guys are rebuilding.

So thats me! I am really excited to here the insight from you fans but at the same time I believe that Cheveldayoff is the right GM for this job long term and I stand behind this team and see a bright future!

Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:52 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Well, you certainly said a mouthful. I am currently on my phone, so I can't really answer your questions with due diligence. I will say that I am comfortable with the direction that the team is going, and I know it'll be a slow process. All teams need a veteran presence, though. Jokinen and Poni fills that nicely while supposedly making it harder to play against us.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:53 AM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Well, its interesting that you ask that.

I think most of us have been pretty impressed with Chevy. I really liked the Poni and the Joki signing personally. It gave us the opportunity to run three good lines, and the newly formed USSR line was by far our best line tonight. they played a great possession game and were really good defensively.

Last season, our second line centre was Burmistrov, and its pretty clear that hes better suited to the third line...where he really excelled tonight. Jokinen really gave us the opportunity to get some more veteran leadership from a legit top six forward and a player that has had a few 90pt seasons under his belt.

in terms on how the team was built, I have no real complaints. I agree with the sentiment that some of these players are going to retire here, I imagine that Enstrom, Ladd and Buff just off the top of my head. I can also see Jokinen playing out his remaining years here as well.

As for the coach...I don't know. He makes some questionable calls IMO, but Holden would be better to answer that one for you lol. I know my feeling is that with a more complete line up we should be able to get into the playoffs and if we can't then we should look to a new HC to get it done.

All of those players that you have been dumbfounded by have taken huge strides forward since becoming Jets. Bogo got 30pts last season on the second pairing, burmi has turned into an excellent defensive forward and Kane hit 30g last season. I would like to see Kane become a more complete offensive player, but we'll get there. Wheeler was our best forward last year, and Little is one the most underrated two way forwards in the league. He was a beast on the PK tonight.

I'm not really certain that a rebuild is the right word. Jokinen and Poni have been brought in as basically stop gaps until the younger guys can preform. This team has been rebuilding for the last few years and really hasn't done the right things to actually compete. Once again, holden can give the run down. But basically it centers around obtaining that young core of players that will hopefully take you to the next level, and our core of young players is almost over. Unless Bogo, Burmi, Kane, Scheifele and Trouba can be the real difference makers that they are supposed to be.

The rebuild is over, and most of us want this team to finally start competing. If it can't...then Chevy needs to start making the moves to build a winner.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Despite my generally negative tone, I'm cautiously optimistic. Trouba has real skills and if Scheifele works on his balance he could be very good. We need to stop losing home openers though.

Concordski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:03 AM
Aerial

I'm not "complacent" with what Chevy has done -- I don't think that word means quite what you think it means -- but for the most part, I've been pleased.

I like what I've seen from the drafting. I was very happy with our off-season -- signing Jokinen, Wellwood and Ponikarovsky, re-signing a good glue guy / bottom-sixer like Slater to a very reasonable deal and locking down an elite talent like Enstrom before he went to FA were all great moves.

To be sure, I don't like all of the moves he's made, but I wouldn't expect to ever like 100% of moves any GM makes. Some of the waiver-wire pick-ups confuse me... but realistically, that's just trying out an asset you get for nothing. The Pavelec contract is pretty concerning. But on balance, I think he's taking the Jets in the right direction. Some of it is a matter of being patient until we get a team with his stamp on it.

Quote:
And I hope Noel is fired after this year! And last but not least I don't like how Cheveldayoff has handled the roster and that includes signing Olie and Pony, bringing back Slater, signing all of these veterans etc!
Other than Jokinen and Ponikarovsky -- both of which were strong and very low-risk signings, in my opinion, for a team that desperately needed to be shored up with solid NHLers -- I'm not sure who else you mean by "all these veterans," or who else you'd propose as far as youth to take their spots.

We don't have a lot of NHL-ready talent in the prospect pool, and (other than a still-very young Scheifele) certainly none that are capable of handling the responsibilities Jokinen is (basically, no Top 6 forwards)... and statistically, I believe none that could handle Ponikarovsky's minutes as well as he does.

The point of signing Poni and Jokinen was to make the Jets a little sturdier while we wait for new prospects and new free-agent opportunities to come up; they were shrewd, short-term contracts for two solid and proven NHL forwards. Those two contracts I have no problem with.

As for Noel, I'm okay being patient to see how he does for longer -- it's not like the Jets are ready to be a contender, for reasons other than coaching. Once we get more of the right pieces in place -- either through FA or as our kids come of age -- then we'll really see what the coaching is made of, I think.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
I'd like to give Noel a while too, he is the first coach. If this season is really disappointing we can fire him, but I'd prefer to give him 3 years.

Concordski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:12 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I agree with some decisions and disagree with others.
Some of the decisions I agree with are disagreed with by other people here, and some of the decisions I disagree with are agreed with by other people here.

So, I think it's pretty standard. I don't agree with a lot of the micro (shift-to-shift, etc) decisions Noel does but I think he did a good job of stretching a very depth lack team last season. Honestly I think we slightly overachieved in some areas for having an elite 2nd line (Little's), a 2nd/3rd tweener (Kane and Burmi), a 4th line (GST) and a revolving door of AHL players.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:17 AM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
I'd like to give Noel a while too, he is the first coach. If this season is really disappointing we can fire him, but I'd prefer to give him 3 years.
This. Chevy and Chipman have both espoused the Nashville Predators as a diagram for continued success in the league. It stands to note that they only had one head coach since their inception. One of the keys is consistency, and having a head coach for a long period of time stands to elevate that. I would like to see Noel grow into that.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:24 AM
jiho

I like Noel. He seems like a good teacher which is important with this team. I like the addition of Perry Pearn. Noel seems like he will use all resources to try and make this team better. I like someone who is a players coach which he appears to be but he will still kick ass when needed. I know I would like to play for a coach like Claude.

Hard to judge Chevy in a year's work but seems to say all the right things on how to build a team. I really trust Craig Heisinger's ability to judge talent and build a team through the Moose Days. I assume he has his say in decisions so I think we are in good hands. I really like the addition of Jokinen and Poni. Looks like we have 3 solid prospects (Scheifele, Trouba and Lowry) from two drafts so the future has lots of hope.

jiho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:56 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Theres no reason to fire Noel. He gets 5 years or more. Plus he's entertaining. What I like about True North and the GM and the coaching staff is that they're patient. Nothing good happens if you panic.

Coaching staff actually acomplished a lot last year. Huddy working with Bogo, lot of quality people working with the IceCaps... It'll be interesting to see how things eventually go. But I think it'll go up. One unfortunate thing for the Canucks is they lost True North and the Manitoba Moose as their AHL team. Chicago Wolves are pretty good but who knows how long their window of opportunity for the cup will stay open.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:30 AM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Theres no reason to fire Noel. He gets 5 years or more. Plus he's entertaining. What I like about True North and the GM and the coaching staff is that they're patient. Nothing good happens if you panic.

Coaching staff actually acomplished a lot last year. Huddy working with Bogo, lot of quality people working with the IceCaps... It'll be interesting to see how things eventually go. But I think it'll go up. One unfortunate thing for the Canucks is they lost True North and the Manitoba Moose as their AHL team. Chicago Wolves are pretty good but who knows how long their window of opportunity for the cup will stay open.
It all hinges on the health of the Sedins and Kesler. Their defense is their weakness right now. I give them a serious 3 more years with their core. They'll end up building around Bieksa and Schneider.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:28 AM
almostawake

So to summarize, the OP is unhappy because a) Cheveldayoff hasn't been able to make a pile of young talent magically appear and b) he/she thinks that Noel isn't getting enough out of the players he has.

I have trouble believing that a) there's much young talent Chevy has missed out on and b) there are many coaches that would have got significantly more out of the lineup we were icing last year.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:53 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

You can't "re-build" something that wasn't built in the first place.

Watching this team reminds me of that 3 Stooges skit where they are getting married to 3 sisters and have to build a house to live in.

Last edited by broinwhyteridge: 01-20-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: missing a 't
broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:17 AM
tbcwpg

I agree with much of what's been said here. There's really not much more that Chevy could have done thus far, and I think it's ridiculous to consider getting rid of Noel until at least 3 seasons, and even then I don't think the problems are the coaching staff. This was just a mess of a team from the beginning, and you can't clean it all up after just one busy year.

tbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:57 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
It all hinges on the health of the Sedins and Kesler. Their defense is their weakness right now. I give them a serious 3 more years with their core. They'll end up building around Bieksa and Schneider.
Lolwut?

You know that Juice is like 30 now right?if anything they'll build around the very strong defensive core they currently have and Schneider and obtain new offense once the Sedins are done.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote