HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul extended - 5 years x 5.25m

Old
01-20-2013, 02:15 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
5 years 27.25

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:37 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Something about signing a player right after a breakout season (although a shortened one) doesn't sit well with me.

I'd like to see how he does in this shortened season before throwing big money and term at him (and yes, I know he's been productive in the past).

I hope they are just seeing where his camp's head's at #'s wise first.

He's a good player, but odds are he's not going to maintain his all-star performance from last season.
I feel the exact same way.

I love Lupul - but it was one very impressive year (would have been even better had he not injured his shoulder).

But why not wait it out? Give it 20 games or so and see how he produces before we go handing out contracts?

The flip side of that argument is that the Leafs are so sure in what they have, that they don't want to give him anymore time to try and up his value.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:05 AM
Winreims

I like Lupul a lot! I hope he does sign an extension

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:34 AM
SuperJayMann

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
and if he does , he is going to want 6 mil per year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, he is the real deal, leader and point producer
Then he gets paid what he's worth, on the other side if he has a bad season or gets hurt again we can probably sign him for a discount, or choose not too.

SuperJayMann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:37 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

5 year 5.5mil. That would be pretty ideal but I have a feeling he will garnish 6mil. I am fine with this as long as the contract is between 3-5 years.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:19 AM
HOCKEYGOON

$4Mill annually for 8 years

HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:30 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

5 years 4.75 per

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEYGOON View Post
$4Mill annually for 8 years
You think he takes a paycut after his breakout season?

I think he gets the Grabo contract...5.5 x 5

Sundinisagod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Interactif

I'm leary of having Grabo at 5.5 and Lupul at 6M with Kessel and Phaneuf up for a contract raises in a year's time. What was an advantage of cap space next year could dry up very quickly when the cap goes down to 64M. Nonis has to identify core players and lock them up.

I'm not convinced Grabo and Lupul are core players for this team when it might be time to contend, however Kessel and Phaneuf are, and it is far more important to re-sign them in a shrinking cap scenario.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:09 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I'm leary of having Grabo at 5.5 and Lupul at 6M with Kessel and Phaneuf up for a contract raises in a year's time. What was an advantage of cap space next year could dry up very quickly when the cap goes down to 64M. Nonis has to identify core players and lock them up.

I'm not convinced Grabo and Lupul are core players for this team when it might be time to contend, however Kessel and Phaneuf are, and it is far more important to re-sign them in a shrinking cap scenario.
When Phaneuf re-signs I doubt he will be getting 6.6mil again. I really don't have anything to back up this statement to be honest except for his reduced stats and that the salary cap is going down. Another contract that is due for a raise is gunnar's. Hope we can make a lot of room for Neuf and Kessel.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:10 AM
SprDaVE

Should the Leafs attempt to give him an 8 year deal in the hopes of bringing down his cap hit?

Give him an 8 year deal with a ~4.5 or ~5M cap hit. The first couple years he can be around the 6-7M salary mark and his salary could slowly degrade as he gets older.

So basically, 6+6+5+5+4+4+3+3 = 36M / 4.5M cap hit. (something along those lines).

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:14 AM
disgruntleddave

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Should the Leafs attempt to give him an 8 year deal in the hopes of bringing down his cap hit?

Give him an 8 year deal with a ~4.5 or ~5M cap hit. The first couple years he can be around the 6-7M salary mark and his salary could slowly degrade as he gets older.

So basically, 6+6+5+5+4+4+3+3 = 36M / 4.5M cap hit.
No. No front loading.

I say give him either a short contract (1 or 2 years) with reasonable money, with the communication that 1 great year does not a star make. Let him prove that he's going to be a force moving forward.

Otherwise, a longer contract with performance based bonuses. I am also not keen to dish out a 5 or 6 mill contract after just one great year.

disgruntleddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post

So basically, 6+6+5+5+4+4+3+3 = 36M / 4.5M cap hit. (something along those lines).
Do we want to be carrying a cap hit of $4.5M for Lupul at ages 35, 36, 37?

Duke Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:17 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntleddave View Post
No. No front loading.

I say give him either a short contract (1 or 2 years) with reasonable money, with the communication that 1 great year does not a star make. Let him prove that he's going to be a force moving forward.

Otherwise, a longer contract with performance based bonuses. I am also not keen to dish out a 5 or 6 mill contract after just one great year.
Why not? What's the harm in front loading like this? It's to our advantage and his.

This isn't about front loading, it's about paying him fairly for what his trajectory likely will be.

We bring down his cap hit to a slight cap it bump (250k more) and he gets to be paid a good amount of money along with job security.

We have to take advantage of the CBA. Having Lupul with a ~4.5M cap hit is fantastic.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:20 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Do we want to be carrying a cap hit of $4.5M for Lupul at ages 35, 36, 37?
That's the major down fall to this and the only reason why I doubt it'll happen.

Sometimes you have to take a risk though. Lupul with a 4.5M cap hit in the next 4-5 years would be great. A lot better than the 6M+ he's likely to get on a 4-5 year deal.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
When Phaneuf re-signs I doubt he will be getting 6.6mil again. I really don't have anything to back up this statement to be honest except for his reduced stats and that the salary cap is going down. Another contract that is due for a raise is gunnar's. Hope we can make a lot of room for Neuf and Kessel.
I don't like the Grabo contract, it has a negative by product effect on the rest of our roster. If Grabo is worth 5.5 per, how much is Kessel worth? How much is Lupul worth? This is my problem. Kessel is a key to this team moving fwd, under no circumstances can we lose him for nothing, so either as a player or as a trade chip if he does not have any intention being here past 13-14. We need him. The challenge of the cap is to identify a few select key core pieces and pay them accordingly and still have enough money to pay good supporting players.

If Kadri takes the jump to a top 6C role this year, we have to move out Grabo and free up money to sign the key pieces, but more importantly at a reasonable rate. Bozak is another player that we should re-sign, we have developed Bozak through at times painful years, and just when he is at the cusp of finally becoming a good NHL'er, to lose him would be bad for the draft or sign/develop/promote mantra that Nonis seems more comfortable with.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
4.5 over 4 years
I think 4.5 million per is a good salary, he is currently earning 4.250, so it's a bit better and I think 6 years would be a good term but I don't think there is any hurry and after this season, if his production hasn't gone down the drain, he should get a contract.

Budsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I don't like the Grabo contract, it has a negative by product effect on the rest of our roster. If Grabo is worth 5.5 per, how much is Kessel worth? How much is Lupul worth? This is my problem. Kessel is a key to this team moving fwd, under no circumstances can we lose him for nothing, so either as a player or as a trade chip if he does not have any intention being here past 13-14. We need him. The challenge of the cap is to identify a few select key core pieces and pay them accordingly and still have enough money to pay good supporting players.

If Kadri takes the jump to a top 6C role this year, we have to move out Grabo and free up money to sign the key pieces, but more importantly at a reasonable rate. Bozak is another player that we should re-sign, we have developed Bozak through at times painful years, and just when he is at the cusp of finally becoming a good NHL'er, to lose him would be bad for the draft or sign/develop/promote mantra that Nonis seems more comfortable with.
Grabo is really going to have to step it up and earn that money because as others have said unfortunately it is a benchmark for other Leafs forwards. Hopefully last night wasn't indicative of what we are going to be getting for 5.5 per from him.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

3-5 years @ 5.5M .... He has yet to play an entire complete season, but he is a 25+ goal scorer.

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:38 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post

If its 8 years he will be 37 by the time the contracts over..... If he gets 5.5 over 5 hell be 34 at th time it finishes, then reciieves 3 until hes 37 and all of a sudden over the 8 years it averages out to 4.5. Remember term and age before handing out a contract.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Grabo is really going to have to step it up and earn that money because as others have said unfortunately it is a benchmark for other Leafs forwards. Hopefully last night wasn't indicative of what we are going to be getting for 5.5 per from him.
Quite frankly I think I would rather lose Lupul and try to sign Crowe in the summer. More imperative that we re-sign Bozak, here's a 27 year old guy that wanted to be a Leaf, we spent a lot of time and resources developing him into a good NHL'er and just when he is at the cusp of being a very good NHL'er if he is let go to another team to reap the rewards of our developing him, this would be a backward move for the organization. Again an agent will look at Grabo's contract and ask how much is Bozie worth, he only had 4 less points than Grabo last year in 1 less game. He's only 27 with the best years of his career to come. I don't want to make this about Grabo because it wasn't him that gave him a overpaid contract, it was Burke. We should have traded him last year for a first rd pick and had faith Kadri or Colborne would have stepped up this year. Watching Kadri with the Marlies and last night, I think most feel comfortable Naz has arrived. Bozak as like last year with his last 10 games has turned into a very good centre. So what are we going to do with Grabo? I made these points this summer, and perhaps I come off too strong, thus the anti Grabo spin my detractors accuse me of, but if last night or the last 10 games last year was any indication, Grabo is becoming an albatross to this Organization, at 2.9M we could accept this play, not at 5.5M.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:42 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

4 years, 23 million

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:03 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post

4x8 is 32

5.5x5 is 27.5

The idea is he takes a paycut for the extra three years.

He'll be 35 at the end of five years. Its a gamble whether or not he'll make that 4.5 million in an additional contract to end out his career.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Kibago

Lupul getting a bigger contract than Kessel has now would be ridiculous. not saying it can't happen but it would be crazy.

$16/4yrs, with a limited pick-ten-teams NTC.

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:05 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibago View Post
Lupul getting a bigger contract than Kessel has now would be ridiculous. not saying it can't happen but it would be crazy.

$16/4yrs, with a limited pick-ten-teams NTC.
No, its not really.

5 years have passed and the cap is different (inflation). The most significant however is UFA vs RFA. RFAs have little leverage other then the ability to sit out (see Subban, Benn, O'Rielly). UFAs can go to the highest bidder.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote