HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Nothing Else Matters

View Poll Results: Where will Luongo end up?
Toronto 1 8.33%
Florida 8 66.67%
Philly 1 8.33%
Washington 0 0%
Tampa Bay 0 0%
Columbus 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
N.Y. Islanders 0 0%
Detroit 0 0%
Other 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 03:05 AM
Canucker

vCash: 500
I'm a ginger and a potato eater...and I'm soulless and evil. Doesn't offend me.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:10 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Always suspected this about you lol.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:11 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Always suspected this about you lol.

It comes with the ginger genes, I have no control over it.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:15 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

^ I'm only a carrier.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:30 AM
Dado

vCash:
Is it too early to start at "What could we get for Lack?" thread?

Old
01-20-2013, 05:37 AM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post

Old
01-20-2013, 05:56 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

G**ger prejudices must be stopped

Old
01-20-2013, 06:03 AM
archangel archangel

vCash: 1100
one game for both the sky is falling guys to start getting warmed up and one game for the goalie controversy to kick off big time. May only be a 48 game schedule, but it will be a fun 48 games for the discussion that are taking place

Old
01-20-2013, 07:05 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
I didn't get why Schneider was anointed the clear cut #1 in the first place. He doesn't have enough games under his belt. He might become that, but if tonight is any indication, he isn't there yet. We'd be better off keeping both and re-evaluating in the summer.
As an outsider, this is what baffles me the most. How can you justify giving a $4M contract to a goalie with 68 games of experience in a backup role? I get that he's a good prospect, and could very well end up having a great career in the league, but this seemed a bit like putting the cart ahead of the horse. Gillis has created this mess ($9M spent on goaltending is not very practical in a $64M cap league), and for the sake of the fans, I hope he find a way to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
G**ger prejudices must be stopped
That video was the first thing I thought about while reading this discussion.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:10 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
As an outsider, this is what baffles me the most. How can you justify giving a $4M contract to a goalie with 68 games of experience in a backup role? I get that he's a good prospect, and could very well end up having a great career in the league, but this seemed a bit like putting the cart ahead of the horse. Gillis has created this mess ($9M spent on goaltending is not very practical in a $64M cap league), and for the sake of the fans, I hope he find a way to deal with it.

Schneider has posted the best save percentage in the NHL for those 68 games. He also has a history and pedigree of a #1. That contract doesn't seem out of line at all. For perspective, Rask is getting paid 4.5m per.

This is no "mess". The cap is _currently_ 70m, and the Canucks are about 2m under. Where is the problem? For the sake of the VAN fans, I hope Gillis holds onto Luongo until he gets a decent return. That' what I care more about.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:21 AM
CJV123

Don't even go there with Rask. By the time Thomas decides to play again he will be traded. It may be a bit of luck, or may not, but BOS played their situation brilliantly.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
Don't even go there with Rask. By the time Thomas decides to play again he will be traded. It may be a bit of luck, or may not, but BOS played their situation brilliantly.

LOL, played their situation brilliantly? What control did BOS have over Thomas going loco? He was turning 39 this year and decided not to play again... BOS did _nothing_ actively to remedy their situation. They didn't have to.

Did Thomas say he was returning? What is this "by the time he's decides to play again"?

Old
01-20-2013, 07:31 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Schneider has posted the best save percentage in the NHL for those 68 games. He also has a history and pedigree of a #1. That contract doesn't seem out of line at all. For perspective, Rask is getting paid 4.5m per.
For better or worse, the Bruins made their choice, and Thomas is gone. Rask has a 1 year deal (at $3.5M) that allows the club to evaluate how he handles the "unsheltered" minutes, and the Bruins team defense should help Rask during this adjustment. If he flops this season, the team will search for some other goalie, and re-sign Rask to a backup salary, to give him more time to develop.

Quote:
This is no "mess". The cap is _currently_ 70m, and the Canucks are about 2m under. Where is the problem? For the sake of the VAN fans, I hope Gillis holds onto Luongo until he gets a decent return. That' what I care more about.
The "mess" is two fold. The media circus that will no doubt follow the ups and downs of Schneider's season, and being able to fit everyone under a $64M cap for next season. It just seems like Gillis tossed Schneider in the deep end instead of easing him into the role, which he had the luxury of doing with a very capable goaltending tandem.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:33 AM
SufferingCatFan

This will be an interesting season in Nuck land. After about 6 games, we will all have a better feel. Lou is a fan favorite so if Schneider continues to falter it could get ugly. With no preseason, it is not really a fair test of either goalie's ability. Since Lou is generally a slow starter, it is possible that he too will falter in the early going.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:56 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
For better or worse, the Bruins made their choice, and Thomas is gone. Rask has a 1 year deal (at $3.5M) that allows the club to evaluate how he handles the "unsheltered" minutes, and the Bruins team defense should help Rask during this adjustment. If he flops this season, the team will search for some other goalie, and re-sign Rask to a backup salary, to give him more time to develop.

The one year deal works for both Rask and BOS. It works for BOS because they get to evaluate him before committing big dollars. They also didn't know what the Thomas situation would be this year. But it also works for Rask as he stands to make more than 4m long-term if he is able to hold the fort this year, while the B's don't have clear cut alternative in the system.

Odds are good that Rask holds his own, and he gets paid more than 4m AAV long-term.

Quote:
The "mess" is two fold. The media circus that will no doubt follow the ups and downs of Schneider's season, and being able to fit everyone under a $64M cap for next season. It just seems like Gillis tossed Schneider in the deep end instead of easing him into the role, which he had the luxury of doing with a very capable goaltending tandem.

The circus is the media, not the locker room.

Gillis will not retain both goalies under a 64m cap.

I'm not sure how bringing along a goalie for two years in a back up role is now akin to throwing him into the deep end? Schneider has spent 8 years developing in this organization. Nothing is happening suddenly here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
This will be an interesting season in Nuck land. After about 6 games, we will all have a better feel. Lou is a fan favorite so if Schneider continues to falter it could get ugly. With no preseason, it is not really a fair test of either goalie's ability. Since Lou is generally a slow starter, it is possible that he too will falter in the early going.

It's going to get ugly if the team falters regardless. That's just how the city is. Kind of unfair to make Schneider/Luongo the lightning rods for something that is more on the team regardless. The slow starter label is apt for the entire team, not just the goalies.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:58 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
As an outsider, this is what baffles me the most. How can you justify giving a $4M contract to a goalie with 68 games of experience in a backup role? I get that he's a good prospect, and could very well end up having a great career in the league, but this seemed a bit like putting the cart ahead of the horse. Gillis has created this mess ($9M spent on goaltending is not very practical in a $64M cap league), and for the sake of the fans, I hope he find a way to deal with it
We'll it's a $70m league this year.

If we didn't sign him to that we'd have lost him.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryph View Post
Gillis has called the Leafs/Florida/Chicago bluffs and I guess will see where the cards fall
I would say it's been the reverse. With that contract and cap hit it should be the Canucks sending prospects along with Luongo and taking back some other team's shorter term bad contract.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:37 AM
noway

Only my opinion (as a Leaf fan of all things!) but I think the time for getting rid of Luongo this year is passing away. It should have been done in the off-season. The increased pressure on the goalies may affect their play and team chemistry.

You should be looking at getting rid of your stubborn GM and keep Luongo in the meantime. He is playing with fire with your assets.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
Only my opinion (as a Leaf fan of all things!) but I think the time for getting rid of Luongo this year is passing away. It should have been done in the off-season. The increased pressure on the goalies may affect their play and team chemistry.

You should be looking at getting rid of your stubborn GM and keep Luongo in the meantime. He is playing with fire with your assets.
Yes, we should get rid of an excellent GM who took us from a non-playoff team to a 3 time PT winner and a Stanley Cup finalist. The GM who signed all our best players to some of the best contracts in the league. Makes total sense!

Old
01-20-2013, 10:32 AM
BerSTUzzi

hahah this thread is awesome...the planets aligned last night and the world is going to end. The Leafs won and Schneider had a bad game (the team was terrible). So in one game the Leafs are cup contenders and Schneider is an AHL goalie...good call.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post

You are so so wrong. Both Schneider and Luongo are men of indomitable character who will hang together before they hang separately. There will be a crisis but they will not panic and after its all said and done, hockey fans will be in awe and people will say, character matters. Mark my words, it will be epic and Luongo's trade value will never be higher.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:51 AM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Yes, we should get rid of an excellent GM who took us from a non-playoff team to a 3 time PT winner and a Stanley Cup finalist. The GM who signed all our best players to some of the best contracts in the league. Makes total sense!
I think it's 2.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
I think it's 2.
Sorry, you're right. For some reason thought we got one in 09-10 but I think that was just because of Henrik's Art Ross.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:54 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
You are so so wrong. Both Schneider and Luongo are men of indomitable character who will hang together before they hang separately. There will be a crisis but they will not panic and after its all said and done, hockey fans will be in awe and people will say, character matters. Mark my words, it will be epic and Luongo's trade value will never be higher.
Nailed it.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Sorry, you're right. For some reason thought we got one in 09-10 but I think that was just because of Henrik's Art Ross.

And here i was thinking you were making a call for this year.

Closed Thread