HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Trade Discussions Thread II - All ‎

Old
01-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Gryph

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I am glad he's gone from the sabres because I can't stand Kassian. A lot of reasons.
How come? Kassian can definitely be a handful to play against, but I'd much rather him then Hodgeson if and when he reaches his potential.

Gryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Considering how the Canucks' defence played tonight I am thinking we could get Luongo for Komi straight up
After tonight, I wouldn't do that unless they gave us a 1st

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:41 AM
CBinTokyo

vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzak View Post
After tonight, I wouldn't do that unless they gave us a 1st
That first could very well be a lottery pick

CBinTokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:42 AM
SteveV*

Could it have been a worse night from the Vancouver LEVERAGE perspective? Scrivens is FIRST STAR, Kadri is SECOND STAR and Bozak played a ton, scored a goal. Meanwhile, the goaltending question in Vancouver is amplified, the stud they picked to replace Lou gets pulled and the team looks like crap!

Gillis is a low rent GM and his instance on top dollar for Lou will bite the Nucks in the azz this year. Gee, wonder what all the reporters and talk shows in Vancouver are talking about today? Hahahahaha.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:41 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Could it have been a worse night from the Vancouver LEVERAGE perspective? Scrivens is FIRST STAR, Kadri is SECOND STAR and Bozak played a ton, scored a goal. Meanwhile, the goaltending question in Vancouver is amplified, the stud they picked to replace Lou gets pulled and the team looks like crap!

Gillis is a low rent GM and his instance on top dollar for Lou will bite the Nucks in the azz this year. Gee, wonder what all the reporters and talk shows in Vancouver are talking about today? Hahahahaha.
I don't think one night does anything to the mind of a GM. If they are a mess over 5 the panic button will be hit and everyone will be for sure in their minds that the drama is destroying the team.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:46 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
I don't think one night does anything to the mind of a GM. If they are a mess over 5 the panic button will be hit and everyone will be for sure in their minds that the drama is destroying the team.
I didn't suggest it will change their minds, if anything they are less likely to move anyone until it settles out. I just think not trading Luongo is creating uncertainty with the team, a distraction, that will impact performance. Luongo doesn't want to be there, they decided they didn't want him, yet he's still there and had to bail out the stud last night. A complete disaster, and I predict Vancouver underperforms this season.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:48 AM
thewave

Quote:

Just want to add I think that team got sent back 3-5 years on cup dreams regardless; the groups damaged

Old
01-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Fogelhund

Quote:

Don't forget Florida wins 5-1, Theodore stops 41 shots, for a .976 SV %.

Posted following in the Trades and speculation forum;

What's the worst that can happen, with the best goaltending tandem in the league? doh!!

Seriously though, we all know the Canucks will be better than this, but it is clear that the pressure got to Schneider tonight, as well as just a bad defensive game. Whether the pressure was from being the guy, or from being the guy with Luongo looking over your shoulder, who knows.

There is absolutely no question this becomes a sideshow of epic proportions if this happens for very long though, as you can see the press/media/fans are having a heyday with it.

Strombone ‏@strombone1
Can't wait!!! “@NHL: #Canucks fans, are you ready to see Cory Schneider as No. 1 in net? #hockeyisback”

Meanwhile, talk about the leverage Theodore stops 41 of 42 shots, .976 SV% and Scrivens 21 of 22 for a .955 SV %. #leveragegone

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:51 AM
thewave

Quote:
I didn't suggest it will change their minds, if anything they are less likely to move anyone until it settles out. I just think not trading Luongo is creating uncertainty with the team, a distraction, that will impact performance. Luongo doesn't want to be there, they decided they didn't want him, yet he's still there and had to bail out the stud last night. A complete disaster, and I predict Vancouver underperforms this season.
Enter fan upheaval pressure and staff changes, it could be a disaster if font want to call it that now.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:53 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Don't forget Florida wins 5-1, Theodore stops 41 shots, for a .976 SV %.

Posted following in the Trades and speculation forum;

What's the worst that can happen, with the best goaltending tandem in the league? doh!!

Seriously though, we all know the Canucks will be better than this, but it is clear that the pressure got to Schneider tonight, as well as just a bad defensive game. Whether the pressure was from being the guy, or from being the guy with Luongo looking over your shoulder, who knows.

There is absolutely no question this becomes a sideshow of epic proportions if this happens for very long though, as you can see the press/media/fans are having a heyday with it.

Strombone ‏@strombone1
Can't wait!!! “@NHL: #Canucks fans, are you ready to see Cory Schneider as No. 1 in net? #hockeyisback”

Meanwhile, talk about the leverage Theodore stops 41 of 42 shots, .976 SV% and Scrivens 21 of 22 for a .955 SV %. #leveragegone
Hockey drama get popcorn and beer sit back and watch

Old
01-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Erdinger

I stopped watching the Canucks game after the first period and I wake up to read that my dream scenario came true. I don't want the Leafs to trade for Luongo but the angst that the cocky Canucks fans must be suffering right about now is hilarious. Have they blamed Toronto for last night's result yet?

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:29 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
I stopped watching the Canucks game after the first period and I wake up to read that my dream scenario came true. I don't want the Leafs to trade for Luongo but the angst that the cocky Canucks fans must be suffering right about now is hilarious. Have they blamed Toronto for last night's result yet?
I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to that.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

The Nucks D is just crap and their goaltending is a mess! I hope they keep Lu and miss the playoffs

Gillis would get the axe 4 sure and that would be the cherry on top!!!

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Budsfan

I said it earlier in the thread, why does Vancouver want to trade Luongo, I think it's only for the Cap but they need him to backup Schneider because they have no one in the pipe to take over for from him and is Eddy Lack the answer, I don't think so.

Last night they found out how much they need to keep Luongo and they are going to have to pare their Cap problem in another area, I think after last nights Goal Tending problem, Luongo won't be going anywhere.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:46 AM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I said it earlier in the thread, why does Vancouver want to trade Luongo, I think it's only for the Cap but they need him to backup Schneider because they have no one in the pipe to take over for from him and is Eddy Lack the answer, I don't think so.

Last night they found out how much they need to keep Luongo and they are going to have to pare their Cap problem in another area, I think after last nights Goal Tending problem, Luongo won't be going anywhere.
The problem is that they signed Schneider to a $4 million per contract. If you look at their numbers, they really need to get rid of one of these goalies in order to be competitive. If Schneider cannot get his act together (and really I think he will, as much as I'm enjoying this current circus), he'll have to be bought out.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
I bet if this goes on for much longer they'll be regretting giving Cory that contract.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:02 AM
VanW27

It's only one game so no reason to be worried yet, but its interesting to speculate on what will happen if Schneider has a bad start.

They've already proclaimed him the starter, told Luongo they don't want him around anymore, if Schneider has a few more bad games can you go to Luongo? And if you do and he takes back the starter job then what do you do?

VanW27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
The problem is that they signed Schneider to a $4 million per contract. If you look at their numbers, they really need to get rid of one of these goalies in order to be competitive. If Schneider cannot get his act together (and really I think he will, as much as I'm enjoying this current circus), he'll have to be bought out.
They just signed two players, to big contracts and next year they are going to be in Cap hell, when the Cap goes down but what is the sense of dealing Luongo if Schneider can't carry the team, they may have to trade Schneider and not Luongo.

They probably should keep Both Schneider and Luongo and deal off Kesler and Booth, the Cap hit is about the same and if they get a goal tender in a trade, then they can think about dealing one of the Goal Tenders.

I have no sympathy for Gillis he has put the team in this situation and will be paying the price.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
I actually stayed up to watch that game hoping for an epic collapse by Vancouver and they did not let me down!

While no one directly blamed the Leafs for Vancouver's shoddy goaltending, one of the announcers said something along the lines of part of the reason that Schnieder collapsed was that Luongo was still there pressuring him to be starter. The excuse was that all the pressure from Luongo's prescence got to Schnieder and that contributed to his collapse. His logic was that if Vancouver could have just pawned off Luongo, Schnieder would have been fine...he was blaming Gillis for this but someone in Vancouver is bound to blame the Leafs for not offering Gillis his demanding price, lol.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post

I have no sympathy for Gillis he has put the team in this situation and will be paying the price.
I'm surprised that Gillis hasn't complained to the NHL about the Leafs not bailing him out his mess.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:42 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Nonis last offer is a conditional 7th round pick in 2016

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Erdinger

They will just be waking up in Canuckland right about now. Their board should make for some interesting reading in the next few hours.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

It's one game, and I know Leafs fans can change their opinions on a whim or bad game, but anyone watching Bozak and Kadri last night, to see them mature and home team developed must have been proud.

We have a tendency to trade our prospects to other teams for them to reap the rewards of our hard work, I hope last night will at least stop the trade Bozak or Kadri for Luongo deal proposals.

Luongo is not worth one or both of these guys.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Kibago

Vancouver didn't realize that in that market, avoiding the sideshow of Luongo's continued presence has innate value for the team. this could sink their season.

i'm going to laugh if he ends up getting amnestied next summer and they get nothing but cap relief.

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibago View Post
Vancouver didn't realize that in that market, avoiding the sideshow of Luongo's continued presence has innate value for the team. this could sink their season.

i'm going to laugh if he ends up getting amnestied next summer and they get nothing but cap relief.
The last thing I want is the Leafs bailing Gillis out of that mess while screwing our cap forever.