HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 10.0 - NHL'er! Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
All the forwards looked rusty so you can't single out an 18 year old in his first NHL game. Would like to see him center the fourth line and try Gallagher on Plekanec's wing, as its his natural position and should help to stop the floater tendencies he's learning in Sarnia(like alot of high-end picks). Aside from TOI I don't think he has anything more to learn in the OHL, he dominates there not playing his natural position. Ideally Hamilton is where he should be to adjust to greater speed and size of opponents but that won't be an option until next year.
Strome and Jenner just got sent back to the OHL. There are a lot of very good players in the O. There will be games that Galchenyuk has it easy, but many will be challenging. Especially in the playoffs.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:57 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I will never understand this. So let's put a kid on a position he knows nothing about to reduce his assignments.....You don't do that. He's a centerman who needs to play that position and learn from it. EVen if it means smaller minutes on a 4th line. But you drafted him that way. He plays that way with his team. Play him that way with your team. Period.
You mean like LL in Hamilton? How's that working out?

Nothing wrong with gally being on the wing at all. I seen his line cycling the puck without much involvement from him.

There's a possibility that he's just not ready yet, or, one game is nothing to base an opinion on.

He needs pp time. I'm convinced this is at least one area he can contribute significantly to right now.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:57 AM
LaTenderness

The kid was nervous as hell. He couldn't even complete a 3 foot pass, he was gripping his stick so hard I'm surprised it didn't break. Lets see a few more games especially a road game where there aren't so many cute French teens in attendance and lets see if he can loosen up a lil.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
You mean like LL in Hamilton? How's that working out?

Nothing wrong with gally being on the wing at all. I seen his line cycling the puck without much involvement from him.

There's a possibility that he's just not ready yet, or, one game is nothing to base an opinion on.

He needs pp time. I'm convinced this is at least one area he can contribute significantly to right now.
What are you talking about? LL was drafted as an offensive player who should have been on a top 6 in the NHL and who TOTALLY has to be on a top 6 in Hamilton so that he migth finish as a top 9 in the NHL. So by using him defensively in Hamilton, they are EXACTLY doing what they shouldn't do which is not using him as how they intended to when they drafted him. As far as his position, well he was drafted as a C but we all knew he would probably be moving which is not the case for Gally.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:53 AM
BubbleGumPlant

Sorry it's a pet peeve of mine...

FOR THE LAST TIME, GALCHENYUK IS NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY IN THE AHL UNTIL 2014-2015.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:04 AM
deandebean

I was thinking of this last night (very late, after wine, having sex with my wife, yada yada yada): maybe the 5 games are not JUST for Chucky to show something. Maybe it is also for the organisation to evaluate what kind of centers they have on hand?

I still think Chucky was drafted as a center and that he will be play center with the Habs. All of management said so about 2 months ago. And numerous times. I'm wondering if some of our centers are not being evaluated...To me, it's obvious that if the kid sticks, he will need to play SOME hockey at center.

The way Therrien answered the Chucky questions last night, I think he believes the kid is here to stay. Just an impression.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:10 AM
deandebean

I don't want to sound like I don't like the kid, but to me, Lars Eller is NOT a top 2-line center. He doesn't have the vision and the skillset (including hockey IQ) to be a solid top 2-line center. That's what I believe. I think he's got the skills to score some goals. I think he's got the physical tools to be productive.

Chucky is an exceptional hockey player. People in Montreal need to realize that the kid has the makings of a star. And he's a center. Management did not agree with Beaulieu's assessment and Beaulieu's use of Chucky in the minors. Bergevin et al said so numerous times in interviews. And they DID say he would be a center with the Habs. He will be our number one center very soon, not in 4 years from now. In order for that to happen, we will need to move some parts away...and soon. When Therrien coached the Pens, the organisation made some moves to give the position to talented young players (Staal, Crosby, Malkin). I think Chucky is as good if not much better than Staal. He will be put in a winning situation.

Thus the reason why I think one of our centers will be either gone or moved to another position. Desharnais? Don't know...maybe. Plekanec? Seems the most likely. Eller? Well, you CAN keep the guy and try Chucky at center. And make moves this summer in regards to the other 2 gents.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
paddy

Jesus are expectations unrealistic! It's his first game at such a high level. Not even any preseason games as a stepping stone. This was trial by fire. What did you expect? He had to "dominate" to prove he's ready? It's not like he looked out of place. Give him time to adjust for cying out loud!

As long as he gets 13-15 minutes a game, he'll learn more in the NHL than he can ever learn in Sarnia.

What is this fascination with the concept of "dominating"?

Old
01-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
You actually want an 18 year old to be "dominant"? There are very few players in the NHL who are dominant.
That's not what I said. I don't "want" him to be dominant. I'm saying that the only way to keep him up after his four games is "if he is" dominant. Otherwise, send him down, for his own sake, for his development, playing top notch minutes as he's missed almost an entire season last year. That's what I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleGumPlant View Post
Sorry it's a pet peeve of mine...

FOR THE LAST TIME, GALCHENYUK IS NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY IN THE AHL UNTIL 2014-2015.
I believe that he could join the Bulldogs once Sarnia's season is over.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:29 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Jesus are expectations unrealistic! It's his first game at such a high level. Not even any preseason games as a stepping stone. This was trial by fire. What did you expect? He had to "dominate" to prove he's ready? It's not like he looked out of place. Give him time to adjust for cying out loud!

As long as he gets 13-15 minutes a game, he'll learn more in the NHL than he can ever learn in Sarnia.

What is this fascination with the concept of "dominating"?
We don't want him to take the fall on the line every time they don't score a goal. Which is exactly what Therrien showed last night. Galchenyuk was the only player to be removed from the PP and was the only player delegated from the top two lines. Sorry, I'm not ****ing with the confidence of an 18 year old by making him the scapegoat every time the team falters.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
I was thinking of this last night (very late, after wine, having sex with my wife, yada yada yada): maybe the 5 games are not JUST for Chucky to show something. Maybe it is also for the organisation to evaluate what kind of centers they have on hand?

I still think Chucky was drafted as a center and that he will be play center with the Habs. All of management said so about 2 months ago. And numerous times. I'm wondering if some of our centers are not being evaluated...To me, it's obvious that if the kid sticks, he will need to play SOME hockey at center.

The way Therrien answered the Chucky questions last night, I think he believes the kid is here to stay. Just an impression.
I don't think he's going anywhere personally, i'd be very surprised if they sent him back to Sarnia..

To play out the string of 20 or so games in Sarnia? His development is better served in the NHL

Old
01-20-2013, 10:33 AM
JHabs61

How did he go about being named Chucky?

Old
01-20-2013, 10:35 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHabs61 View Post
Him and Gallagher both were nicknamed "Gally", Galchenyuk let Gallagher keep the nickname since he was the older of the two, they asked Cole to come up with new nickname for him ... he came up with "Chucky".

Old
01-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHabs61 View Post
Galchenyuk
Galchenyuk
Chuk

That then transformed into Chucky. I still much prefer Gally.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
01-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Galchenyuk
Galchenyuk
Chuk

Should have just named them AGally and BGally.

Or trade one....

Old
01-20-2013, 10:44 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
We don't want him to take the fall on the line every time they don't score a goal. Which is exactly what Therrien showed last night. Galchenyuk was the only player to be removed from the PP and was the only player delegated from the top two lines. Sorry, I'm not ****ing with the confidence of an 18 year old by making him the scapegoat every time the team falters.
And Plekanec should have been demoted. I think Eller played a much better game.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Should have just named them AGally and BGally.

Or trade one....
Careful. Some may not understand sarcasm on these boards.

I'm a fan of the AGally-BGally concept, but it would become a pain on the bench, especially if someone forgets to add the A or B.

Cole: "Hey, Gally!"
Galchenyuk and Gallagher: "Yeah?"
Cole: "Damn it... BGally."

Old
01-20-2013, 10:53 AM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Galchenyuk
Galchenyuk
Chuk

IMO "Chucky" is a term of endearment from the vets. They would have given him something less notable if not.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:54 AM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenderness View Post
The kid was nervous as hell. He couldn't even complete a 3 foot pass, he was gripping his stick so hard I'm surprised it didn't break. Lets see a few more games especially a road game where there aren't so many cute French teens in attendance and lets see if he can loosen up a lil.
Exactly. I was at the game last night and you could easily see is nervousness. He was never carrying the puck more then 3 seconds. I think he is ready for the NHL thought. But you should never judge a rookie with just his first game in front of 22000 fans. This kid is gonna be good and I start to believe that if he can stay on the 2nd line, it would be better for his developpement.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:55 AM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphabs View Post
IMO "Chucky" is a term of endearment from the vets. They would have given him something less notable if not.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I don't think he's going anywhere personally, i'd be very surprised if they sent him back to Sarnia..

To play out the string of 20 or so games in Sarnia? His development is better served in the NHL
24 games + playoffs. If the Sting hold on to their division lead, I believe they'd have the opportunity to hold home ice advantage for at least a couple of rounds.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:03 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
24 games + playoffs. If the Sting hold on to their division lead, I believe they'd have the opportunity to hold home ice advantage for at least a couple of rounds.
We'll see after 2-3 games if Chucky's use is reduced. We'll be able to judge where the Habs are going with him. By reading what Bergevin was saying about how Beaulieu was using him, I came out with the feeling that Habs' brass didn't think a lot about his coaching skills, hehehe. Maybe they want him out of there, who knows! I'll wait a couple more games before passing judgement.

I just don't like the fact that he's playing as a winger, when it's evident in his body language, and his hockey decisions, that he's first and foremost a center. And I know that Therrien doesn't like to have those kids placed in an losing position from the get go. He did it with Staal.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Anyone else want to strangle Hughson with how he pronounced Alex's name last night?

Gal-Chennie-Yuck

Old
01-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Andy

Well, he didn't look out of place last night. The game didn't look too fast for him, he was able to get a couple of shots off. I think he stays. The cycling game which he stuggled with last night and positioning as a winger at the nhl level will come with playing time.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:16 AM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post

Like I said! We're talking men here, on a team, elite physical skills, that has just recieved an 18 year old that is on par with them? They love the kid and will take care of him.

Closed Thread