HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Leafs 2 - 1 Habs

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 07:48 AM
onice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Therry has a dual brief, always deadly if you cannot handle it:

1. Win games now. That means playing Cube a lot. Note that we allowed 2 goals tonight. Maybe Therry values Cube more than you do and maybe he knows why.

2. Develop younger, and riskier, players that may cost you wins this year. Specifically Diaz and Emelin, who are important to this team when it matters, that is, next year and beyond.

I get contradictory briefs all the time in my profession. And I am aware of it. I hope Therry is.

Have a look at both T.O. goals. The Cube was on the ice for both goals.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:48 AM
Gary320

I didnt miss this forum during the lockout. Exaggerations on PGT are ridiculous.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:58 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Bouillon: "But you played me 22 minutes."
Reporter asks Bouillon: How does it feel playing 22 minutes?
Frankie The Cube: No Excuses.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:00 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Sometime some message on this boards make rds talkbacks user sound smart... It's the first game off the year and some people want to tank or fire everybody...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I didnt miss this forum during the lockout. Exaggerations on PGT are ridiculous.
This is the difference between a bandwagon fan who jumped on a couple of years ago and the true Habs fans.

Try not to take them too seriously.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:11 AM
HCH

I continue to be unimpressed by Kaberle. While he did make a couple of nice offensive plays he is very soft, he doesn't seem to hustle after the puck in the defensive zone, his passes are also soft and he failed miserably at keeping the puck in the offensive zone on the power play. Our lack of physical size/strength on defense could become a problem and, for me, it starts with Kaberle. Subban would help but I have the feeling that the team would use him in Diaz's spot.

Other than that, I think there were a lot of positives in the game. One of them was the line of Prust, White and Armstrong. Someone from that trio deserved a star ahead of Gionta.

It is going to be an interesting team to watch this year.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well you will then have a problem cherring for this team. 'Cause Bergevin is the one who got them also. Same one who's handling the Subban situation. And we're not going to change this team for at least 3 years. And we're at day 2.

Only thing left for you is to believe that Daigneault and Jodoin are the "brains" of this team. But I believe people are too hard on Therrien and mostly based their opinions on his demeanour. A whole lot of bashing based on how his Pens tenure ended, yet, nobody talks about how he still brought his team to a Cup Final the year before. But then, if we decided to believe, like I was saying, that the talent make the coach, well I guess it doesn't matter who's coaching then. Make Bergevin build a great team and whover coaches will end up winning.

exactly, gainey at the end and pierre all together made bad choices.

O'bryne is what our back-end is missing, and higgins, and lapierre, and skost, and streit, and macdonaugh....

we've made some terrible personnel moves in the last few years. it'll take a while to become competitive.

if this team was making the right decisions the last 5 years we would be competing for the NE.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:14 AM
BLONG7

The penalties early in the game really hurt the Habs last night...the only period they seemed to play OK was the 3rd period...

Price was the only guy on the ice who seemed to be in midseason form...

Old
01-20-2013, 08:17 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What did Bouillon do that caused the Habs to lose? Sounds like you're just grasping at straws.
Really?

If I'm not mistaken, he was like a chicken with his head cut off on both goals.

And while it didn't cost us the game, he was beat many other times which Diaz and Price bailed him out for.

Bouillon was bad last night. Hopefully it was just rust because he did try hard but he wasn't good at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
How many of the above have been playing pro on NHL sized ice? ZERO. Most of them treat hockey in Europe as a vacation. And don't try to compare OHL to NHL.
Ridiculous. None of those players treated Europe like a vacation. Seriously, watch a game before making up ridiculous statements. All those forwards led their teams in PPG (or were very close), while Markov was rehabbing, and Emelin always works hard.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:19 AM
E = CH˛

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
[/B]

exactly, gainey at the end and pierre all together made bad choices.

O'bryne is what our back-end is missing, and higgins, and lapierre, and skost, and streit, and macdonaugh....

we've made some terrible personnel moves in the last few years. it'll take a while to become competitive.

if this team was making the right decisions the last 5 years we would be competing for the NE.
McDo-Subban
Markov-Streit

We could have one of the best defense in the league.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:34 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrExpos View Post
And you're comparing Mike Kostka and AHL hockey to Andrei Markov and NHL hockey? Are you kidding me? You are telling me the Habs should have played Fred St-Denis, Brendan Gallagher and Gabriel Dumont because we would have had a better chance to win with them in the lineup?
St-Denis would have looked better than Bouillon, no question.

Gallagher or Dumont would have been more effective than White or Armstrong, no question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Some of you guys have already determined that Bouillon and Therrien sucks and will sing that song even in wins. It's pathetic really. Maybe Bouillon shouldn't play on the PP. You do have a right to question Bouillon on the PP. But his time ES? He wasn't as half bad as some thinkg he was. And it's not like he played 10 minutes more than everybody else. To me, it's pretty clear that he should be playing more than Kaberle or Diaz. So without Subban, 'cause that,s what Bergevin is giving Therrien, A TEAM WITHOUT SUBBAN, Bouillon is top 4. Used that way on ES. And use often on the PK as well. The PP is a big question mark which Therrien will surely see till/if Subban comes back.

Some people are talking about Bouillon playing top pairing minutes as if he'd has a Lidstrom or Chara type of utilisation. It's distributed pretty evenly in the top 4. Which is what Bouillon is. Which says a lot about the quality of this D that Therrien had NOTHING to do about.

And I'm far from being a Therrien fan. Was clearly not my pick.
Yeah, no I won't. If Bouillon plays well, I'll admit to it. He was actually better, somehow, on the PP last night than he was at ES or on the PK. Which is mind boggling. Not that that means much when he was so poor.

Diaz was 100 times better than Boo last night. Diaz and Price made up for him a lot. How many times did Bouillon get beat to the outside? More than I can count on one hand, that's for sure.

I agree with you a lot, Snake.. but definitely not here.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Prust Y U MAD Bruins*

1 game = end of the world, lol

Old
01-20-2013, 08:37 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Really?

If I'm not mistaken, he was like a chicken with his head cut off on both goals.

And while it didn't cost us the game, he was beat many other times which Diaz and Price bailed him out for.

Bouillon was bad last night. Hopefully it was just rust because he did try hard but he wasn't good at all.

Ridiculous. None of those players treated Europe like a vacation. Seriously, watch a game before making up ridiculous statements. All those forwards led their teams in PPG (or were very close), while Markov was rehabbing, and Emelin always works hard.
I agree. Bouillon was not great last night. This is alos true though for many of the older players that did not play since last year. MaxPac was also missing a step.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:46 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
I agree. Bouillon was not great last night. This is alos true though for many of the older players that did not play since last year. MaxPac was also missing a step.
Yup, the whole first line was not good. Desharnais was the best of the bunch (probably because he played 15-20 games this year already), but that's not saying much when the line was so poor.

In fact, our best line was our 4th line. The 2nd line got some shots, but nothing dangerous. The 1st line had maybe two good shifts all game, but would fall apart due to rust. How many times did Cole skate over the puck?

If I had to rate the whole team out of 10;

Pacioretty (4.5) - Desharnais (5) - Cole (3.5)
Galchenyuk (6) - Plekanec (6.5) - Gionta (5.5)
Moen (5) - Eller (5) - Bourque (9)
Prust (7) - White (5.5) - Armstrong (4)

Markov (9) - Emelin (6)
Kaberle (6.5) - Gorges (3)
Bouillon (2.5) - Diaz (8)

Price (9.5)

Old
01-20-2013, 08:53 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I don't care how much rust you have.. there is no excuse for only getting 1 goal against Ben Scrubens.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:55 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't care how much rust you have.. there is no excuse for only getting 1 goal against Ben Scrubens.
Not sure it's saying much, but he's better than Reimer.

I actually thing Scrivens has the potential to be a very solid goalie. .915 SV%... or around there.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Morlu

Quote:
Not sure it's saying much, but he's better than Reimer.

I actually thing Scrivens has the potential to be a very solid goalie. .915 SV%... or around there.
Scrivens was AHL goalie of the year and posted around a .945 save percentage his last month in the AHL. He's been really good for the Marlies.

Looking forward to the Habs and Leafs becoming competitive again. The rivalry doesn't feel the same when both teams are basement dwellers.

Only positives to last night were:
Habs: Price is amazing
Leafs: Defense keeping shots to the outside.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:12 AM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
the minute it happened I hated the reacquisition of Bouillon. the fact that Therrien seems to love him makes it far far worse

our d should be:

Gorges-Subban (sign him, enough already)
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Diaz
Bouillon

now that I've said my piece on that, we sure as **** looked horrible, but many teams did in their first game and should for a couple games more yet, it will literally be a matter of luck for the first little while. the penalties (the refs were atrocious last night) to start the game killed any momentum we could have had out of the gate. that plekanec call was one of the worst i've seen.

hope's still here with this fan, it's only been 1 game.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Zathronas

Woooo! Nelly!

Let's analyse this fairly please!

Habs were not good last night except for a few exceptions. But let's be realistic here. This was ONE game and the worst culprits were the older players that did not play in a league somewhere. And a couple of stupid plays killed any momentum we could have had (especially Plekanec's)

We lost 2-1 boys and girls but we will be much better! let's not take out the torches in pitchfork just yet!

On the flip side let's give a bit of credits to the leafs. They constantly had a body on the puck possessor and bottled up the neutral zone nicely.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Strange, awkward game. A lot of rink rust, coupled with guys that had not played with each other much and others had not played for a while, and a coaching staff that had not have the time to implant a air-tight proof system it should be not be a surprise by what happened.

One thing I saw I didn't like was that in one-on-one battles the Leafs seemed to always be the agressors. And I kept thinking "here we go again". I mean we got Prust, Cube and Armstrong and we still acted like nice guys. I've seen a few guys trying to intimidate Gally and I didn't like that.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlu View Post
Scrivens was AHL goalie of the year and posted around a .945 save percentage his last month in the AHL. He's been really good for the Marlies.

Looking forward to the Habs and Leafs becoming competitive again. The rivalry doesn't feel the same when both teams are basement dwellers.

Only positives to last night were:
Habs: Price is amazing
Leafs: Defense keeping shots to the outside.
A lot of the 22 shots were made to look hard by Scrivens. This is similar to the Reimer shutout game 1 of last season, Habs offense make goalies/defense look good.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:37 AM
PricePkPatch

Okay, Habs fans.

This is a paper bag

I want you to take deep breath into it. Like that

It's one game. People are rusty. Subban ain't there. But the important part is:

- Price shined like a true diamond

He ain't out of the game for anytime soon, so we'll be okay.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:39 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Yup, the whole first line was not good. Desharnais was the best of the bunch (probably because he played 15-20 games this year already), but that's not saying much when the line was so poor.

In fact, our best line was our 4th line. The 2nd line got some shots, but nothing dangerous. The 1st line had maybe two good shifts all game, but would fall apart due to rust. How many times did Cole skate over the puck?

If I had to rate the whole team out of 10;

Pacioretty (4.5) - Desharnais (5) - Cole (3.5)
Galchenyuk (6) - Plekanec (6.5) - Gionta (5.5)
Moen (5) - Eller (5) - Bourque (9)
Prust (7) - White (5.5) - Armstrong (4)

Markov (9) - Emelin (6)
Kaberle (6.5) - Gorges (3)
Bouillon (2.5) - Diaz (8)

Price (9.5)
I kinda agree with your grades aside from Cubes, he wasn't that bad. Markov wasn't that good. Diaz wasn't that good either and so was Kaberle.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Pathetic hockey game. Embarrassing that the nation was submitted to this.

As you probably know, I've been very skeptical about this team's chances to compete this year for various reasons (too many guys who haven't played since last April, too many fragile players playing a schedule that will be crazy, coaching staff that seems questionable trying to change everything, lack of depth, etc). And this was before the Subban nonsense and Bouillon suddenly being nominated as our #2 defenceman.

Tonight succeeded in lowering my already low expectations. This will be a loooong short season.

A playoff team would have wiped the floor with us.
Bergevin's signing of Bouillon still baffles me.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:40 AM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Any thoughts on how René looked?

Old
01-20-2013, 09:41 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
the minute it happened I hated the reacquisition of Bouillon. the fact that Therrien seems to love him makes it far far worse

our d should be:

Gorges-Subban (sign him, enough already)
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-DiazBouillon

now that I've said my piece on that, we sure as **** looked horrible, but many teams did in their first game and should for a couple games more yet, it will literally be a matter of luck for the first little while. the penalties (the refs were atrocious last night) to start the game killed any momentum we could have had out of the gate. that plekanec call was one of the worst i've seen.

hope's still here with this fan, it's only been 1 game.
If yesterday's play is an indecation, that duo will struggle.

Closed Thread