HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 05:05 AM
bobbyt91
you must quote me :P

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Beyond this year? Not a chance. Luongo is gone at the end of the year regardless.

During the season is still up in the air as well. It will all come down to the return.

Schneider has been scrutinized over 8 years of development. They know what they have in him. Enough to give him his latest deal. Game 1 didn't prove anything either way, it was 1 game, time to gain some perspective.
Plus it really seemed to me that Luo was not happy in the post game interviews. More so than he normally would be after a bad game. I got the impression he was unhappy that tonight could delay a trade. buts thats pure speculation on my part.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:05 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Like it or not, Gillis will hang on to Roberto as insurance until Schneider proves he's a No. 1. Game 1 proved he isn't one yet.

Yeah because good tenders never have bad games.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:08 AM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
Does the fact that Luongo wants to leave change anything in your "assessment"?
Luongo only wants to leave because the city and team are making him feel super awkward. Would you want to stick around while the city claims a goalie that has played only 50 games is superior to you? After how far Luongo has taken Van? He's just trying to save face. He never really intended on leaving this early in his contract. He got pushed out.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:10 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Are you Vancouver's GM? Quite the arrogant one, you are.

I'm not the one calling a two time PT winning team to miss the playoffs. Is that arrogance or complete delusion? Nor am I making judgements on Schneider's ability based 1 game...

There is no feasible situation where Luongo is retained beyond this season. None. Cap shrinking and he has made his declaration. Cory is here and getting paid like a mid-level starter. These things add up to Luongo's position here being finite.

Last edited by Bleach Clean: 01-20-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old
01-20-2013, 05:14 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
Luongo only wants to leave because the city and team are making him feel super awkward. Would you want to stick around while the city claims a goalie that has played only 50 games is superior to you? After how far Luongo has taken Van? He's just trying to save face. He never really intended on leaving this early in his contract. He got pushed out.

Gillis has made that call, not the city. The city doesn't sign his paychecks.

The GM and Luongo didn't intend for him to leave. Schneider being this good was unforeseen. Hell, people still thought Schneider would be the one dealt right before the playoffs began. This development was recent.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:18 AM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
Gillis has made that call, not the city. The city doesn't sign his paychecks.

The GM and Luongo didn't intend for him to leave. Schneider being this good was unforeseen. Hell, people still thought Schneider would be the one dealt right before the playoffs began. This development was recent.
That's where I have the issue. I just think that it's an utter bone head move to put all your faith in an unproven goalie like Schneider, for all we know he could turn into the next Mason. Especially when you have a highly capable top 5 goalie already signed to a contract that would be pretty hard to trade and get any real value.

It just seems like bush league Gming. It's more wishful thinking than calculated moves.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:28 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
I'm not the one calling a two time PT winning team to miss the playoffs. Is that arrogance or complete delusion?
Please tell me how this Canucks team is better than the one that won just 1 playoff game in 2012, and factor in injuries.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:28 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
That's where I have the issue. I just think that it's an utter bone head move to put all your faith in an unproven goalie like Schneider, for all we know he could turn into the next Mason. Especially when you have a highly capable top 5 goalie already signed to a contract that would be pretty hard to trade and get any real value.

It just seems like bush league Gming. It's more wishful thinking than calculated moves.

If it was a mutual decision, do you still feel the same way? If it wasn't the GM _only_ that decided it was time for Lu to move, then what? Whatever happened behind the scenes, Lu and the GM _both_ came to the decision that it would be time for him to move on.

Gillis is on record saying that he would never ask a player to waive his NTC. If this was a one way demand by Gillis, it goes against what he has said in the past. As it happens, both parties mutually agree and here we are.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:30 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Please tell me how this Canucks team is better than the one that won just 1 playoff game in 2012, and factor in injuries.

I thought we were talking about getting into the playoffs, not the playoffs themselves?

That team that won 1 playoff game still won the PT prior to getting into the playoffs, which makes your "prediction" all the more suspect.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:37 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
I thought we were talking about getting into the playoffs, not the playoffs themselves?

That team that won 1 playoff game still won the PT prior to getting into the playoffs, which makes your "prediction" all the more suspect.
Let's see: your team just got its ass waxed on home ice by a team that missed the 2012 postseason, you're missing 2 of your top-6 forwards for extended time in an abbreviated season, and all other NW Division teams improved far more this offseason than Vancouver did...

...so tell me why the Canucks are a slam dunk to qualify for the 2013 playoffs.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:40 AM
Pepper

Goalie controversy in Vancouver? I guess NHL is truly back.

First game of the season is always going to be a crapshoot, don't draw any conclusions yet. Having said that, Schneider looked very nervous. Then again, Luongo didn't look that sharp either.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:41 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

i Know it is only one game, but the Canucks might want to wait till the off season before making a goalie move.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:50 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Let's see: your team just got its ass waxed on home ice by a team that missed the 2012 postseason, you're missing 2 of your top-6 forwards for extended time in an abbreviated season, and all other NW Division teams improved far more this offseason than Vancouver did...

...so tell me why the Canucks are a slam dunk to qualify for the 2013 playoffs.

I didn't say they were a slam dunk. You still have to go out there and play the games. But based on _precedent_ it is more likely they make the playoffs than not. In the face of _history_, your prediction seems much more far fetched.

1 game is 1 game. The Canucks have lost 4 straight home openers. They got belted worse than this by CHI last year, and they still won the PT. Could you possibly be reading _way_too_much_ into 1 game? Maybe?

Do you think DET is going to miss too? Based on losing Lidstrom and getting shellacked in their 1st game?

Old
01-20-2013, 05:53 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Goalie controversy in Vancouver? I guess NHL is truly back.

First game of the season is always going to be a crapshoot, don't draw any conclusions yet. Having said that, Schneider looked very nervous. Then again, Luongo didn't look that sharp either.

Where's the jumping to conclusions mat when you need it?

1 game, win or lose, no matter how bad or how great, means nothing more than it being 1 game. I think people will realize how much they have overreacted as the season progresses.

Last edited by Bleach Clean: 01-20-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old
01-20-2013, 06:09 AM
Habitat

I can tell you right now. Luongo will start in game 1 of Vancouvers playoff series.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:18 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitat View Post
I can tell you right now. Luongo will start in game 1 of Vancouvers playoff series.
first they got to get to the playoffs

On another site someone pointed out the Canucks (even when healthy) took till mid december to get their act together last year--they can not do that this year

Old
01-20-2013, 06:39 AM
Orca Smash

vCash: 50
Quote:
You can tell us that after the first game of the season? Makes sense.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:17 AM
FireEverybody*

Quote:

Old
01-20-2013, 07:37 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Canucks can keep those 2 now, pot 7 goals against on the REG, that's your problem now hahahaha

Old
01-20-2013, 07:40 AM
Fogelhund

What's the worst that can happen, with the best goaltending tandem in the league? doh!!

Seriously though, we all know the Canucks will be better than this, but it is clear that the pressure got to Schneider tonight, as well as just a bad defensive game. Whether the pressure was from being the guy, or from being the guy with Luongo looking over your shoulder, who knows.

There is absolutely no question this becomes a sideshow of epic proportions if this happens for very long though, as you can see the press/media/fans are having a heyday with it.

Strombone ‏@strombone1
Can't wait!!! “@NHL: #Canucks fans, are you ready to see Cory Schneider as No. 1 in net? #hockeyisback”

Meanwhile, talk about the leverage Theodore stops 41 of 42 shots, .976 SV% and Scrivens 21 of 22 for a .955 SV %. #leveragegone

Last edited by Fogelhund: 01-20-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old
01-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Halibut

Quote:
I'm not the one calling a two time PT winning team to miss the playoffs. Is that arrogance or complete delusion? Nor am I making judgements on Schneider's ability based 1 game...

There is no feasible situation where Luongo is retained beyond this season. None. Cap shrinking and he has made his declaration. Cory is here and getting paid like a mid-level starter. These things add up to Luongo's position here being finite.
So buyout or trade where they retain half his cap hit?

If there is no way he's still in Vancouver next year there are some pretty nasty options on how the canucks get rid of him.

There are a lot of goalies and teams not in game shape yet that have really been hurt by the lockout. Problem for the Canucks is with the Luongo trade still in question this put that much more pressure on the goalies and you dont really need that on young unproven guy like Schneider.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:14 AM
The Saurus

First night back couldn't have been scripted worse for Canucks fans. Especially for those who have been the most active in the Roberto trade threads.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Predatorbill

vCash: 50
This has always been an interesting problem (comparable to a good mystery novel), well last night the author threw in one of those twists that no one saw coming.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Roboholic

Quote:
Where's the jumping to conclusions mat when you need it?

1 game, win or lose, no matter how bad or how great, means nothing more than it being 1 game. I think people will realize how much they have overreacted as the season progresses.
Buddy, people are just having fun with it, try not to take it so seriously.

If the Leafs let in 7 goals and Vancouver came close to a shutout , the exact same thing would be happening in this thread, if not worse.

In your head people are over reacting, in reality most just find the situation hilarious.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
Are the trolls gone yet?

Also big thanks in all honesty to the classy leaf fans either not saying anything or admitting it was just one game. Tonight I drink or drank for you... And a terible game.
No thanks needed. I think it's safe to say Schneider/Luongo are better than that.

That and when we play Boston, you'll have your revenge.lol

Closed Thread