HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part 2, Game #1| Jan. 19, 2013|Penguins at Flyers |3:00 p.m. ET

Old
01-20-2013, 03:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Sounds like a job for Voracek.
That's genius.

Last year Briere and his whole line were basically a rushing line. That's not when Briere is at his most dangerous. Give him a puck possession guy to slow things down a bit.

01-20-2013, 04:04 AM
RussianRocket10

They had quite a few rockets from the point but missed the net on too many of them.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:24 AM
Krishna

Bryz and Meszaros impressed me the most

Bryz looked solid.

I thought after he left the two goals in early that he would end up playing like he did last year but he was lights out after that/

Meszaros looked healthy for the first time in awhile. His shot should at least get it near the net but that will come back

Foster holds onto the puck for too long. He got hammered in the defensive zone at least 3 times

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:14 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I'm not concerned at all. They played bad in the first and then continued to get better, but got some unlucky bounces. The PP went 0-5, but after the first it was much better. They had great movement and great chances, a couple posts and fluke missed open nets (I believe those were on the PP, not 100% sure). Honestly 0-5 nights happen, and if it was game 27 no one would even say anything.

Briere was definitely missed as we didn't have much secondary offense. The D was better than I was expecting, but we don't really have any guys that can move the puck. Mez and Coburn are good at skating it up, but we miss Pronger's and Carle's (yes Carle) outlet passes a lot.

Overall I think it was a decent start, and about as good as a loss can be, but they can't afford to get behind in the short season. And starting slow is concerning as it was something that plagued them last year. Hopefully, it was just a rust thing today, but I don't know.
Too bad Gus is hurt.he would have been playing a similar style as Carle and helped the transition game. He should have been in there instead of Foster.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
That's genius.

Last year Briere and his whole line were basically a rushing line. That's not when Briere is at his most dangerous. Give him a puck possession guy to slow things down a bit.
I actually feel that Briere is pretty nasty rushing the puck on his off wing. Him on the left, Jakub on the right would be a pretty effective as far as zone entry goes. You're pretty likely to either get a shot off the rush or some zone time for a set up.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Bryz and Meszaros impressed me the most

Bryz looked solid.

I thought after he left the two goals in early that he would end up playing like he did last year but he was lights out after that/

Meszaros looked healthy for the first time in awhile. His shot should at least get it near the net but that will come back

Foster holds onto the puck for too long. He got hammered in the defensive zone at least 3 times
Meszaros always impresses me when he's healthy. He's a really quick, skilled guy for being so big and willing to hammer people (with a cannon shot too). I think he's probably hurt all the time even when he's not injured (even more so than all NHL players). I always get pumped at the possibilities for a healthy Mez when watching him play at the start of seasons. Hopefully he stays well for the shortened season.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Do you do anything besides complain?
you have have anything better than have a man crush on the coach? this team has flaws, you are ignoring them, this team will not go anywhere if they dont shoot the puck.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
you have have anything better than have a man crush on the coach? this team has flaws, you are ignoring them, this team will not go anywhere if they dont shoot the puck.
I remember about a year ago (or maybe it was two) our team led the league in SOG and we had a string of decent goalies putting up Vezina numbers against us over the course of a couple months from late Winter into early Spring. And everyone said that it couldn't persist, but it did for a long while. And the reason was shot selection. The team looked like offensive dynamos on paper, but in reality the totals were inflated by indiscriminate shooting. There's very little point in taking a shot you know the goalie is going to save when there's no one there to jump on a rebound.

If your forwards are waiting for good opportunities to shoot, and you're dissatisfied with how many shots they're taking, the solution isn't to have them shoot indiscriminately but to try and get more solid chances, which I'm pretty certain they're trying to do.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I actually feel that Briere is pretty nasty rushing the puck on his off wing. Him on the left, Jakub on the right would be a pretty effective as far as zone entry goes. You're pretty likely to either get a shot off the rush or some zone time for a set up.
He is indeed great on the rush, but his line needs more tricks

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:46 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
You have a bigger man crush on Bryz. I know this team has flaws, but they're not gonna get fixed in the blink of an eye, especially during a shortened season with practically no training camp and no preseason games. Lavy is a great coach. He'll get us to the playoffs. Once we're there, anything can happen.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Ryker

Damn, I thought the Pens' defense was really good, especially Letang, Despres and Martin. Cooke was also a prime example of an excellent grinder, as much as it pains me to say it.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote