HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Campaign for the Oilers to Draft Cam Barker Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2003, 02:29 PM
t0mf00lery

vCash: 500
Official Campaign for the Oilers to Draft Cam Barker Thread

Here is an article from THN:

Barker Blueline Force for 2004:
by Matthew Wuest

When the spotlight on the 2004 draft focussed almost exclusively on Russian forward Alexander Ovechkin, Cam Barker has quietly established himself as the top defenseman available.

Barker had 10 goals and 47 points in 64 games as a 16-year-old rookie with Medicine Hat of the Western League last season. Wade Redden, Eric Brewer, and Jay Bouwmeester all had lower totals at the same age.

"My rookie year was all that I hoped it to be," Barker said. "I just wanted to do my best and establish a name for myself in the league."

He made a name for himself not just in the WHL, but the entire Canadian Hockey League by earning a spot on the CHL all-rookie team.

"What he did as a 16-year-old was incredible- he logged the most ice time on our defense," said Tigers coach Willie Desjardins. "It's unheard of for a guy to come i and do that."

Barker, who captained Canada's under-18 team to a fourth-place finish during the simmer, has responded well to an expanded role this season. Based on what he has shown, most scouts have labled the Winnipeg native as a top-five pick next June.

Red Line Report rates Barker No. 4 for the draft, while the International Scouting Report has him ranked No. 7. The NHL's Cantral Scouting Service has him No. 3 among WHL prospects.

"There aren't many holes in his game at this stage," said Carolina scout Tony MacDonald. "He's probably the top guy in the draft as far as defensemen are concerned. He compares favourably with the top defensemen who have gone before him."

Barker's strong play is more impressive because he's normally paired with an inexperienced partner.

"A lot of 17-year-olds have a 20-year-old with them, carrying them," Desjardins said. "Not with Cam- he's carrying himself."

Barker is the highest-scoring defenseman on the league's most potent team. He has made a big impression on scouts with his terrific offensive skills and ability to control a game from the blueline.

"His game is weighted to the offensive side," MacDonald said. "That's where he shines- he can make a good first pass or he can wheel it out. His ability to handle and shoot the puck is good."

The 6-foot-3, 212-pound rearguard is developing a complete all-around game. He is a strong defensive presence because of his ability to eliminate attackers along the boards with his strngth, balance, and power.

Like any prospect, Barker has high hopes for the draft, but isn't thinking ahead.

"Every kid dreams of going No. 1, but I'm not looking too far ahead," said Barker. "I just want to play as well as I can and keep on getting better."

Old
12-12-2003, 02:31 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

definitely a player the oilers would be interested in. a future pp quarterback.

Old
12-12-2003, 02:36 PM
Tarkus

Barker recorded a hat trick during the Tigers' 7-2 rout of the top team in the WHL, the PA Raiders. All three of his goals were on the PP.

In fact, the Tigers went an incredible 6-for-8! on the PP that night, with their 7th goal coming while short-handed.

Maybe the Oilers can draft the Tigers' special teams coaching instead!

Old
12-12-2003, 02:38 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

lol no kidding.

Old
12-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Jim_Harnock

To Medicine Hat: C Mike Comrie

To Edmonton: A Power Play

Old
12-12-2003, 03:03 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I think its about time the Oilers drafted another defenseman in the first round.

The past five years have been, European Forward, European Forward, European Forward, European Forward, and finally, a canadian forward. Actually, given the success rate of the Oilers drafting d-men in the first round, I'm not surprised they haven't given one a shot unless they're sure things like Phaneuf and Coburn.

Old
12-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Oi'll say!

6-3, 212 lbs, 16 years old?

I think it's time for some serious drug testing.

I'm not guaranteeing that there's anything wrong in this particular instance, but you have to wonder when kids at that age are that big.

Old
12-12-2003, 03:45 PM
Tarkus

Here's a profile of Barker, courtesy of the Tigers' website.

BTW, he has 31 points in 34 games thus far this season...

Old
12-12-2003, 06:11 PM
Burkey

Unless we tank the rest of the way, I doubt we'll get a shot at taking Barker. Defenseman are valuable commodities, especially young studs like Barker who can play physical on defense and contribute offensively. He should be taken in the top five, and I can't see us getting that low in the draft unless we make a trade.

Old
12-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Mizral

I haven't seen Barker personally, but I've talked to someone who goes to Hats games regularly & read a few scouting reports by him. Apperantly, some regard him as the best prospect in the CHL, and the #2 man right now behind Alexander Ovechkin.

I've heard him compared from everyone to Jay Bouwmeester, Ed Jovanovski, and even, wait for it.. Brian Leetch.

Sounds like a guy that just about every team in this league could use. But how about the Jackets picking him up? Klesla is somewhat dissapointing (not saying he's a bust, far from it! Just not looking like a top pairing man), and a guy like Barker could potentially be the 'blow 'em away' PP defenseman they could use down the road.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Chicago would be stupid if they don't get Barker too

Old
12-12-2003, 07:19 PM
hockeyaddict101

Barker is going to be drafted early.

The Oilers would really have to tank to get a shot at him. Rated the fouth best player in next years draft by Mckeens and Redline has him ranked 4th best as well in their November issue.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:21 PM
elphy101

then again if they packaged either Corey Perry or the 1st from the Ducks deal with their own first, I bet they could have a pretty chance at acquiring Barker. Probably not Ovechkin, but it might well be enough for Barker.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:26 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
only way that happens if the other team feel confidence enough to get a player they like (kind of like what the oilers did with MAP this year)
one of those 1st round picks would have to be in the 10-15 range i think

Old
12-12-2003, 08:39 PM
Don Smoove

Send a message via MSN to Don Smoove
He was born on the same day and year as me. Anyways, ya. Oilers have no chance at getting him.

Old
12-13-2003, 10:46 AM
Burkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
then again if they packaged either Corey Perry or the 1st from the Ducks deal with their own first, I bet they could have a pretty chance at acquiring Barker. Probably not Ovechkin, but it might well be enough for Barker.
Maybe, but would that be a move worth doing? Indeed Barker is a valuable young defenseman who should be good in all aspects of the game, but the Oilers could also could just keep the picks and Perry and potentially have three solid NHL players rather than one exceptional one. And keep in mind that Barker could be a bust. I'm not sure that that is a worthwhile move, though that's not to say I wouldn't like to get Barker.

Closed Thread