HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This team will not succeed as long as David Desharnais is a top 6 center.

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 09:56 AM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
This team will not succeed as long as David Desharnais is a top 6 center.

Bare with me here.

I realize a lot of people are DD fans, and with just cause, I like the man and the player as well. However, I strongly feel that this team will not succeed as long as he is a top 6 center.

A center should be a force on the ice, someone who is strong on the dot, strong on the puck, strong on both ends of the ice on top of the obvious need for on-ice vision. Sure, Desharnais has very slick hands and great vision, but his presence is not going to intimidate anyone, ever. This is not a knock on the man, he is a tough little dude and could likely beat the crap out of me, but against other top NHL centers...it's almost laughable.

If Plekanec were a different type of player we might be able to get away with having DD as a top 6 center, but having those 2 be our 1-2 is a recipe for failure and maintenance of our 'soft' identity. A center often defines his line as the puck literally starts on their sticks (after whistles)

Plekanec-Eller should be solidified as our top 2. Sure, the Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole combo looked very good last year, but they got soft minutes and only looked good in comparison to the rest of the team which looked like trash. That same trio looked horrible last night and is IMO bound for disaster. Keep Desharnais with MaxPac, but put him on the wing and stick Eller in the middle.

Cole-Plekanec-Gionta
MaxPac-Eller-Desharnais

something of that sort should be our top 6.

Discuss/debate David Desharnais as a top 6 center in this thread.

This might not be worth it's own thread but I did not know where else to vent about this, mods feel free to merge with something...or not

Old
01-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Neutrino

vCash: 500
Totally disagree, what need is a defense...

Old
01-20-2013, 10:01 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Ideally you would like some size up the middle. I am sure the Habs brass also believe that to be true. Is he going to be a long term solution to our top 6 center core? no. Short term seems like its the case. I have no reason to doubt that once AGally comes into his own and is able to man the dot that in a season or 2 you won't see him at center. So you would get no argument out of me on this

Old
01-20-2013, 10:01 AM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
You could have just bumped one of the previous 100000000 threads on this topic.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Andy

I agree, but Desharnais is a sacred cow here, so you won't have many on your side. I like him and don't want to get rid of him. I think he should move to wing eventually.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:05 AM
HatTricK09

vCash: 50
I personally am not sold on Desharnais either. I would like to see Eller step it up, but as of now, he's all that we've got.

But if Desharnais can keep on improving from last year and keep on playing like this, then I'm fine with him being our first or second line C.
There are other players in the league who has had the same kind of story; see St. Louis

Old
01-20-2013, 10:06 AM
pine

Would rather Barkov/Lindholm & Galchenyuk down the middle then Desharnais & Galchenyuk.

Desharnais is not a longterm solution at center. The day the Habs are ready to take the next step, he will be out the center door, whether it be on the wing or elsewhere.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:06 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

This team won't succeed without its number one defenseman and with Kaberle playing over 20 minutes a game...

Old
01-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Mynameismark*

He as well as the rest suck at faceoffs, I'll tell you that. We cant get much puck control with stats like that.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:08 AM
DogsFan*
GHG

We played 1 game.. with a new coach and a new system missing our #1 D. Can we please relax?

Old
01-20-2013, 10:08 AM
BubbleGumPlant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
I personally am not sold on Desharnais either. I would like to see Eller step it up, but as of now, he's all that we've got.

But if Desharnais can keep on improving from last year and keep on playing like this, then I'm fine with him being our first or second line C.
There are other players in the league who has had the same kind of story; see St. Louis
As a long-term first line center, I'm not a fan. As a veteran 2nd line center who has improved over the years, behind GALCHENYUK as a 1rst line center, I think it could work.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Teufelsdreck

Desharnais may not be the worst of the team's weaknesses. Look at the roster. The recent drafts may have been productive but the 2012 picks are still embryos while Tinordi and Beaulieu are still fetuses.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:12 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
Bare with me here.

I realize a lot of people are DD fans, and with just cause, I like the man and the player as well. However, I strongly feel that this team will not succeed as long as he is a top 6 center.

A center should be a force on the ice, someone who is strong on the dot, strong on the puck, strong on both ends of the ice on top of the obvious need for on-ice vision. Sure, Desharnais has very slick hands and great vision, but his presence is not going to intimidate anyone, ever. This is not a knock on the man, he is a tough little dude and could likely beat the crap out of me, but against other top NHL centers...it's almost laughable.

If Plekanec were a different type of player we might be able to get away with having DD as a top 6 center, but having those 2 be our 1-2 is a recipe for failure and maintenance of our 'soft' identity. A center often defines his line as the puck literally starts on their sticks (after whistles)

Plekanec-Eller should be solidified as our top 2. Sure, the Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole combo looked very good last year, but they got soft minutes and only looked good in comparison to the rest of the team which looked like trash. That same trio looked horrible last night and is IMO bound for disaster. Keep Desharnais with MaxPac, but put him on the wing and stick Eller in the middle.

Cole-Plekanec-Gionta
MaxPac-Eller-Desharnais

something of that sort should be our top 6.

Discuss/debate David Desharnais as a top 6 center in this thread.

This might not be worth it's own thread but I did not know where else to vent about this, mods feel free to merge with something...or not
Eller is not a top-2 line center. Just doesn't have the vision. Heck, I don't even know if he's a legit center yet. Chucky will be your number one center in less than 2 years from now. Count on that. He's not a winger and the Habs want him as a center.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Boomsticks

Agree 100%. I was watching the game last night and the same thought occurred to me. He's undeniably the weakest link on the top line. I will be incredibly disappointed if we sign him long term, or to any large amount of money.

The fact of the matter is - it looked like the Leafs had him figured out. And if the Leafs have him figured out, you can bet that it's the same for the rest of the league.

oh and INB4 "BUT BUT ST. LOUIS IS SOOOO GOOOOD." DD is not St. Louis. There have been plenty of 1 season flash in the pan players in this league (see, J. Cheechoo, J. Blake, etc, etc) and I have a pretty good feeling that he's going to be nothing more than that.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:14 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Eller is not a top-2 line center. Just doesn't have the vision. Heck, I don't even know if he's a legit center yet. Chucky will be your number one center in less than 2 years from now. Count on that. He's not a winger and the Habs want him as a center.
Exactly.

Something will happen this offseason .. Galchenyuk is a no.1 center and you can't have DD and Plekanec as no.2 and no.3

Old
01-20-2013, 10:17 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
We don't know this yet for a fact. fact is he has never been given enough of a chance to show this. He has always been used with moderate minutes and little responsibility. He may not have DD vision, but he does have some skill, and until the team gives him more responsibility we won't fully see what he is capable of. In the end its up to Eller to show this, but having the chance to prove himself is what he needs, just like DD did.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:19 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
We don't know this yet for a fact. fact is he has never been given enough of a chance to show this. He has always been used with moderate minutes and little responsibility. He may not have DD vision, but he does have some skill, and until the team gives him more responsibility we won't fully see what he is capable of.
I agree with you. That's why I think the next 10-15 games will be important for him to show what he's capable of. But one thing is for sure: Chucky will be this team's first line center in the near future. Montreal needs to make room for this to happen.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:20 AM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Sort of agree. Ideally you would want Desharnais to be 6 foot 2 with the same skillset. Unfortunately, those kind of centers don't come around very often. We might have our hands on one with Gally, but nobody knows. So Until then, I don't see a problem having him play on a TOP 6 Role. All we need is to have Wingers that compensate DD's lack of size, and a solid defense.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
poetryinmotion

Terrible timing for a thread like this imo. There are 213432 problems before DD as a top 6 center on this team, IF it even is a problem. I don't think it is.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Hard not to agree on that. He is a good player sure but he is not a 1st center (or 2nd center) that will lead this team far.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:25 AM
BLONG7

We have issues...for sure...

We haven't had a big # 1 Centre since Bobby Smith...

But, everyone needs to relax...a loss to the Leafs always does this to our fanbase...

Old
01-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
1 of Plekanec/Desharnais can not be here next year. Pretty clear to me. It's not a knock on either one, but you can not be a strong team by being so small down the middle on the top 2 lines. Plekanec has 3 more years @ 5 M per year. It's probably what he would get on the UFA market if he was a UFA.

Desharnais will be a RFA this summer and he's 1 year away from UFA. The time to make the decision is this summer.

Galchenyuk must play center next year. Period. The longer we put off him learning as a NHL center, the more time it will take for this team to someday be a contender.

Really ****ing tired of being a shrimp team down the middle. We've gone from Koivu-Perreault/Gilmour to Koivu-Ribeiro to Koivu-Plekanec to Plekanec-Gomez to what we have now. Enough is enough.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:26 AM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
We have issues...for sure...

We haven't had a big # 1 Centre since Bobby Smith...

But, everyone needs to relax...a loss to the Leafs always does this to our fanbase...
Those issues were here long before the Leafs game... and look to be here for the foreseeable future.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:31 AM
NewHabsEra*

Of course I agree, but right now DD is our best option.. The end of DD will happen when Galchenyuk shows without a doubt he is ready for those duties..

Old
01-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I think Desharnais' future with the team will be dependent on what he asks in terms of a contract this summer.

Closed Thread