HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks PP - first impressions

Old
01-20-2013, 09:54 AM
BobbyJet

vCash: 500
Hawks PP - first impressions

It's only 1 game but our PP looked better in spurts early on in yesterday's game. In general it looked like they were working closer to the opps net than in the past but still trying those fancy tic tac toe plays in front of Quick. Specialty teams obviously will be a key this season. Comments?

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:00 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
After the 5 on 3, the PP to me pretty much looked exactly like it did last year. Struggled to get it in the offensive zone, and when they did actually get it in there, struggled to maintain possession or get a quality shot off before the Kings would clear it.

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:01 AM
ndgt10

Our PP will continue to suck until we can find a guy who can shoot it heavy and on target from the point. Souray would have been great in that role.

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:05 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
The 5 on 3 was only saved by a hell of a snipe from Kane. They were telegraphing the backdoor pass the entire time. It seriously looked like Kane got frustrated with trying a low percentage pass and just decided to hammer it on frame.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
The 5 on 3 was only saved by a hell of a snipe from Kane. They were telegraphing the backdoor pass the entire time. It seriously looked like Kane got frustrated with trying a low percentage pass and just decided to hammer it on frame.
This.

To me the PP looked the same as last season, as others above have said. Struggling to get the textbook backdoor pass, trouble getting into the zone. Aside from the first one, the rest of our PPs looked like 2011/2012.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:34 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
This.

To me the PP looked the same as last season, as others above have said. Struggling to get the textbook backdoor pass, trouble getting into the zone. Aside from the first one, the rest of our PPs looked like 2011/2012.
One of the PP's had good player and puck movement and got some good opportunities. That's generally what we lacked last season with a bunch of guys refusing to budge from a set position.

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Before Kane scored on the snipe, Kane had the best open looks at the net on that PP, but he kept passing them up.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Cullksinikers

The problem seems to be setting up, in my opinion. Setting up when you are on a 5-on-3 and have Toews at the dot is quite easy. However, when they were only up a guy, they tried dump-and-chase. Well, if you are going to dump the puck in, you better sure as hell have some forwards to go get it. Once they were set up, there was a power play in which they had good puck movement. It's one game under Kompon. Let's talk after maybe five games.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:48 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
The problem seems to be setting up, in my opinion. Setting up when you are on a 5-on-3 and have Toews at the dot is quite easy. However, when they were only up a guy, they tried dump-and-chase. Well, if you are going to dump the puck in, you better sure as hell have some forwards to go get it. Once they were set up, there was a power play in which they had good puck movement. It's one game under Kompon. Let's talk after maybe five games.
... but 5 games are like 10 this season. Our PP is going to need to click to help get us through a tough early schedule. They did seem to be more mobile but must resist trying that pretty stuff.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:54 AM
madgoat33

need to shoot more and stop constantly trying the same backdoor crap.

On the plus side, at least we had somebody in front of the net the vast majority of the time

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
... but 5 games are like 10 this season. Our PP is going to need to click to help get us through a tough early schedule. They did seem to be more mobile but must resist trying that pretty stuff.
I know, but I am saying that we should judge whether it sucks or not based on one game.

My post was just my first impression.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:07 AM
BronYrAur

It looked a bit better...there was certainly a bit more movement though the results were not great.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Marotte Marauder

Hopefully they take a lesson from Hossa and get the puck on the GD net!!!! Still poor entry, trying to make plays that only work on the white board!! Swing it from low to high, get it on net and outnumber the opponent for the loose puck. My God is it that tough?!?!

After that works for a while, THEN you can reverse it back, high to low and backdoor pass.

I'll donate $1.00 so they may buy a clue somewhere.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:10 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Overall it looked better to me- there were some lingering problems from last year, but overall I feel like they did a better job keeping the puck in the zone once they got it and they did a better job with movement and the cycle. However, I think everyone that mentioned the stupid backdoor play is spot on- dunno why they can't just mix it up now that they're moving the puck. I little better

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

too early to tell but I haven't seen much difference compared to last year. On the other side, Kings PK isn't that bad.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:08 PM
puterwiz53

I feel there was still too much passing and not enough shooting and most shots are not on net. The defense need to shoot more but also need to be more accurate. Passing is fine but you have to take the shots when the opportunity arises.

puterwiz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:47 PM
cherrypik

Part of the problem last year was the were so stale and every team in the league knew what our pp units were doing(backdoor). I do like the PP units. Hossa at the point and Toews down low should work well with Kaner doing his thing on the boards. That second unit had a ton of movement. I think they had the puck in their zone for over a minute. The new pp units of Stalberg, Shaw, Bolland and Leddy/Sharp at the points looked good. Last year they really didn't have a second unit.

cherrypik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:58 PM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Dear God do we have an awful power play. We don't have any hard snipers from the point, and we spend too much time dilly-dallying and passing around, which will cost us. The same PP we know and hate from last year.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:03 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
After the 5 on 3, the PP to me pretty much looked exactly like it did last year.
I didn't want to be the first to say it. Looked like they didn't miss a beat.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:22 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

at least they kept it in the offensive zone more than they did last year...when they would spend 90% of the time trying to prevent a short handed goal.

they need to shoot more.

all and all i'm not expecting big things this year.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:07 AM
BobbyJet

Still not great but I didn't see much of that cutesy stuff and there was more net presence

Anyone notice the subtle play by Stalberg on the first PP goal by Bolland ..... shielding the Yotes dman from Bolland and leaving him wide open to convert that lovely pass by Kane. VS ended up on his keester but it was well worth it and the Yotes dman was livid afterwards (I think it was Rossi). We need more of that kind of commitment.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

It looks exactly the same in terms of the frustrating inability to enter the zone at times, but it's better simply by virtue of actually having net presence.

Still, improving from last year's pathetic display is not a particularly difficult thing to do. With this talent the Hawks do not have an excuse to be outside the top 10 on the PP.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:25 AM
Cullksinikers

Both goals on the PP this year have been after Kane roamed to the middle of the ice and either passed on a giv-and-go for a one-timer or actually putting one in the wheelhouse.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:00 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Love it, finally peppering the net, Kompon doing a very good job.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:04 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

First impression? Patrick Kane's a wizard. People saying we need a PPQB, maybe we do, but whatever PP unit Kane's on runs through him. Simple.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote