HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Leafs 2 - 1 Habs

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I thought Bouillon threw his weight around well in corners and behind Price's net, but that was about it. He was often getting beat by skaters going to the outside and he could not hold the line for dear life, when the Habs were trying to sustain pressure on the powerplay. Then again, Kaberle and Diaz both had problems controlling the puck at the line too.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:44 AM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
Any thoughts on how René looked?
was honestly probably our best forward out there, he has something to prove this season and I think he will do so.

it is pretty baffling how bad our offense looked, literally looked like they had never played a game together, could not completely a pass to save their lives. that one instance where desharnais, cole and pacioretty were all in the middle of the ice fumbling over themselves for the puck...

Old
01-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

vCash: 500
In the glass half-full category, Bourque was really involved last night.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:52 AM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
the minute it happened I hated the reacquisition of Bouillon. the fact that Therrien seems to love him makes it far far worse

our d should be:

Gorges-Subban (sign him, enough already)
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Diaz
Bouillon

now that I've said my piece on that, we sure as **** looked horrible, but many teams did in their first game and should for a couple games more yet, it will literally be a matter of luck for the first little while. the penalties (the refs were atrocious last night) to start the game killed any momentum we could have had out of the gate. that plekanec call was one of the worst i've seen.

hope's still here with this fan, it's only been 1 game.
That's exactly my thought as well.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
In the glass half-full category, Bourque was really involved last night.
It was basically a glass third full, as in he like everyone outside of Prust and Price, didnt start playing until the third period.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

At home. Opening night. Leafs. AHL goalie at the other end of the rink. And hardly a scoring chance generated.

My worst fears are realized. That the largely same roster is going to get largely the same results.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Teufelsdreck

Why were the Habs so shoddy against a rusty bottom feeder who iced a marginal goaltender in a game in which I assumed the Habs would rack up 2 points? If this is typical, then I'm sorry the lockout ended.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Why were the Habs so shoddy against a rusty bottom feeder who iced a marginal goaltender in a game in which I assumed the Habs would rack up 2 points? If this is typical, then I'm sorry the lockout ended.
Myself I'm getting ready for a loooooong shortened season.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:08 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Kaberle seemed to be in much better shape and state of mind than last year. Execution was poor at some moment, but that is sadly to be expected.
Kaberle had been playing in Europe and he should have had an advantage over those that stayed in North America. His timing and execution should have been among the best on the team. If that is going to be his level of play when he has an advantage I hate to see what will happen when the rest of the league catches up. This team needs Kaberle to play well and at the moment I am not confident that he can. Hopefully he surprises me.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:11 AM
HCH

Quote:
I think a lot of people underestimated Scrivens. We also cannot ignore the fact that Toronto had twelve players on their roster who had been playing regularly during the lockout. Combine that with a under-sized defense who get physically dominated and you have a recipe for a loss.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:11 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

I wasn't able to watch the game but was following the results through the tsn app.

I got excited with the start of the season after this long lockout, I got excited with Markov's return, I got excited with Galchenyuk's start with the Habs. I was able to put aside the numerous ranking predictions and was ready for a great start to the season.

Last night's game brought me back to reality as I realized that the team picked up where they left off last season. I'm now ready for the potentially horrible season ahead.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:16 AM
deandebean

You guys need to realize that it's the same lineup as last year. Don't expect them to be contenders because they added a tough guy and Armstrong. The GM is still in evaluation mode. I believe moves will be made in the next 10-15 games.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:20 AM
MarkovsKnee

Kaberle was always expendable once Markov came back, but he's even more expendable with Diaz. He's definitely our 2nd buy-out in the summer.

Cube was only signed for 1 year. Next year, we get Tinordi in the line-up, and we sign Subban. We come back with Gorges-Subban, Markov-Emelin, and Tinordi-Diaz. A lot more balanced back-end in terms of skill, toughness and size.

The D is definitely still a work in progress, but it's a strength in our prospect system.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:26 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
You guys need to realize that it's the same lineup as last year. Don't expect them to be contenders because they added a tough guy and Armstrong. The GM is still in evaluation mode. I believe moves will be made in the next 10-15 games.
This cannot be understated. While we are healthier thus far compared to last season, it will likely be on the outside looking in at the playoffs. That being said, give this team a couple weeks to shake off rust on a majority of the players, and our play will at least be more entertaining and up to part. We may not win a lot of games, but least we should be tougher and make wins difficult to be earned

Old
01-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I thought Galchenyuk looked pretty good. Got a couple shots off and showed some nice forechecking ability even retrieving the puck.

I hope the Habs continue to play Boullion/Kaberle/Armstrong big minutes. I think they can fetch something at the deadline.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:29 AM
walsy37

Quote:

I'm not, it eliminated 16 other teams from getting a top 5 pick. It also increased our chances at getting Drouin/McKainon or another stud offensive player to go with Gally. As much as this sucks to hear, this season is all about getting another top pick so we can do what Chicago/Washington/Pittsburgh did. Last year was a start.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Same team as last year, minus last year's best player. What a shock.

(Last night, I mean. PK signs here at some point.)

Old
01-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Its going to be a chemistry experiment the first few games. Just a lack of creativity and team cohesion.

Truth is that Bergevin knows that this team is not very good. He wants to observe and evaluate what the team needs to do to become a force once again. He has stressed his desire to "build through the draft." Expect him to do that and do not expect too many crazy trades during this season. We dont have any sell high candidates really, either.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:45 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Kaberle had been playing in Europe and he should have had an advantage over those that stayed in North America. His timing and execution should have been among the best on the team. If that is going to be his level of play when he has an advantage I hate to see what will happen when the rest of the league catches up. This team needs Kaberle to play well and at the moment I am not confident that he can. Hopefully he surprises me.
Kabs only played a bit. He got hurt early and didn't play again.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Markov, Bouillon, Galchenyuk and Prust were the only players that played good yesterday. All the other players were pretty bad imo.

First, I'd like to see Galchenyuk with Eller or DD instead of Plekanec/Gionta (they are too predictable and cant crate a single passing play). Second, please stop putting Markov and Kaberle together on the PP...it makes absolutly no sense. I would actually prefer to have Plekanec with Markov at the point instead. And finally, lets sign Subban and go with these duos : Markov/Subban, Bouillon/Gorges, Emelin/Diaz.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
It was basically a glass third full, as in he like everyone outside of Prust and Price, didnt start playing until the third period.
He was involved. It was just more noticable in the 3rd. He played alright and then moved it up into well.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:58 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally94 View Post
Markov, Bouillon, Galchenyuk and Prust were the only players that played good yesterday. All the other players were pretty bad imo.

First, I'd like to see Galchenyuk with Eller or DD instead of Plekanec/Gionta (they are too predictable and cant crate a single passing play). Second, please stop putting Markov and Kaberle together on the PP...it makes absolutly no sense. I would actually prefer to have Plekanec with Markov at the point instead. And finally, lets sign Subban and go with these duos : Markov/Subban, Bouillon/Gorges, Emelin/Diaz.
Bouillon in a top-4 role? Please send down Gally then.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Yup, the whole first line was not good. Desharnais was the best of the bunch (probably because he played 15-20 games this year already), but that's not saying much when the line was so poor.

In fact, our best line was our 4th line. The 2nd line got some shots, but nothing dangerous. The 1st line had maybe two good shifts all game, but would fall apart due to rust. How many times did Cole skate over the puck?

If I had to rate the whole team out of 10;

Pacioretty (4.5) - Desharnais (5) - Cole (3.5)
Galchenyuk (6) - Plekanec (6.5) - Gionta (5.5)
Moen (5) - Eller (5) - Bourque (9)
Prust (7) - White (5.5) - Armstrong (4)

Markov (9) - Emelin (6)
Kaberle (6.5) - Gorges (3)
Bouillon (2.5) - Diaz (8)

Price (9.5)
Move one Diaz point to Emelin to make them both 7's and I basically agree. Maybe take .5 away from DD who was our worst center by far.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I think a lot of people underestimated Scrivens. We also cannot ignore the fact that Toronto had twelve players on their roster who had been playing regularly during the lockout. Combine that with a under-sized defense who get physically dominated and you have a recipe for a loss.
No the recipe for the loss is the lack of any offensive capability from the centre position. This is still a perimeter team passing the puck around as it waits for the other team to make a mistake.

The team gave up 2 goals. Two goals rarely holds up unless you're playing the impotent habs.

What is frustrating is that this is a longstanding problem.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Morlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Armstrong is not a tough guy. He's an agitator (Marchant) type player who is meant to draw penalties and throw people off their game. He also was able to put up significant points in Pittsburg. He hasn't been the same player since he left.

Closed Thread