HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeremy Jacobs is angry about lockout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 07:06 AM
  #26
Rookie Chargers
Registered User
 
Rookie Chargers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Quebec
Country: Azores
Posts: 7,751
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
THN says the players are winning already (I only read the headline).

I think the owners subscribe to the same email alerts I do.

Do not care I am not listening to any audio.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:11 AM
  #27
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Jesus, the guy comes out and hands out vouchers personally for the game. Then comes out apologizing profusely for his part in the lockout and tries to explain the business aspect so people will actually understand it and gets nothing but vitriol?

If Jacobs was the greedy evil villain most thought he wouldn't have taken the time to do either. Neither action will put tons of butts in the seats now will payoff large for him in any measurable way.

Funniest part about this whole post lockout scenario is you keep hearing "what is the NHL going to do for us fans?" I see owners doing a ton with free concessions, free tickets, massive discounts on season tickets, and public apologies, I don't see players doing anything similar even though they are taking home 50% of revenues.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
Agreed, wouldn`t/doesn`t matter what Jacobs, or any other owner does as a gesture to the fans, there will and there has been too many out there expecting more.

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:37 AM
  #28
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Registered User
 
Donnie Shulzhoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Foxboro, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,861
vCash: 500
Like I recently said to a friend who his girlfriend recently dumped him, "It is time to move on."

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:16 AM
  #29
JMiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Watertown
Posts: 14,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
Like I recently said to a friend who his girlfriend recently dumped him, "It is time to move on."
Did she call him up later to say how dumping him made her angry and that she wanted to give him a coupon for a hot dog?

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:19 AM
  #30
Cheesy
Registered User
 
Cheesy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Londonderry, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 500
His comments are absolutely correct, but the fact that there's so many markets struggling is purely on the owners. That's the frustrating thing. They're the ones who approved franchises in places like Phoenix and Columbus and SURPRISE SURPRISE!! those markets aren't supporting hockey and are struggling.

It'll never happen but the obvious long-term fix would be to get those teams out of those markets, whether it's contracting or getting them into better markets.

Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:23 AM
  #31
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy View Post
His comments are absolutely correct, but the fact that there's so many markets struggling is purely on the owners. That's the frustrating thing. They're the ones who approved franchises in places like Phoenix and Columbus and SURPRISE SURPRISE!! those markets aren't supporting hockey and are struggling.

It'll never happen but the obvious long-term fix would be to get those teams out of those markets, whether it's contracting or getting them into better markets.
Love to see two things, NO MORE SHOOTOUTS/skill contests

and I`d love a 24 team league

Neither of which I`ll ever see

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:28 AM
  #32
SerenityRick
Registered User
 
SerenityRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 14,094
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Do we really need to keep dwelling on this? I'm already incredibly annoyed when I click on a news article or 'tweet' and people are responding with "who cares? the [players/owners] are GREEDY!!!!"

Get over it.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:32 AM
  #33
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Registered User
 
Donnie Shulzhoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Foxboro, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Did she call him up later to say how dumping him made her angry and that she wanted to give him a coupon for a hot dog?
Thanks for making my point.

I think people got to used to complaining about the lockout.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:45 AM
  #34
bb74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Annecy
Country: France
Posts: 3,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Jacobs has always been an easy target but....


Until the lost season of 2004-5, Jacobs trusted the business to Harry Sinden. Harry had carte blanche and it was not until Charlie showed up that Jeremy took a harder look at Boston.

Charlie told his dad that we have to clean house and that is what happened.

My only beef with Jacobs is he helped allow the NHL to get too big.

Look none of us will ever understand why Bettman fought for Phoenix.


In 5 years or less the NHL will be in Quebec City, Seattle and a second team in Toronto. The unknown is relocation or expansion.

Jacobs at least has done something for Bruins fans - look at how little Chicago has done.
Bolded.... it's called retirement communities with massive inflow from the NE and people with roots and significant disposable income. Same for Florida. The logic was get the snowbirds to kick off the franchise with their ties to the game from their previous locales, expand the TV deal, and in 10-15 years the grass roots of the game would establish with local interest in the game and the team and you go from there. Messed up on assumptions but the thinking was reasonable.

bb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:26 AM
  #35
BrainOfJ
Diva
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 17,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
how anyone can read that and disagree with what he's saying is beyond me.
That would take reading(or listening/watching) first. Thats not too popular with the angry mob.

Even if you think jacobs is all about money, use your head...the Bruins turn a profit, and Jacobs owns the company that does concessions for a ton of teams. The lockout lost him money.

But the lockout is done, over. We watched hockey yesterday and it was awesome

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:36 AM
  #36
Latrappe
Selke winner
 
Latrappe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,881
vCash: 500
Note to Jacobs: The negotiation for a new CBA should have start one year prior the end of the last one. Stop complaining because of our own idiocy. You did this to your self...

Latrappe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:40 AM
  #37
BrainOfJ
Diva
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 17,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Note to Jacobs: The negotiation for a new CBA should have start one year prior the end of the last one. Stop complaining because of our own idiocy. You did this to your self...
Uhhhhhh......may want to check who didnt want to negotiate last year cause they wanted to do it "together"...and then proceeded to spread out over the entire planet.

Ill give you a hint. It was not jacobs.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:43 AM
  #38
Spooner st
Registered User
 
Spooner st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Some people are just ****ing clueless.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:57 AM
  #39
Latrappe
Selke winner
 
Latrappe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
Uhhhhhh......may want to check who didnt want to negotiate last year cause they wanted to do it "together"...and then proceeded to spread out over the entire planet.

Ill give you a hint. It was not jacobs.
Ill give you another hint: That's not the players who ordered a lockout...

Latrappe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:01 AM
  #40
trenton1
Paille Good
 
trenton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Loge 31 Row 10
Country: Belize
Posts: 6,680
vCash: 500
His excuse makes sense but it doesn't move me much. Management made bad decisions and then locked the players out...again. At least there is some acknowledgement of certain things, including the unnecessary lowball offer. Anyway, I'm hoping this is the last press he gets until the parade in July. Hockey, please.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:08 AM
  #41
BrainOfJ
Diva
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 17,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Ill give you another hint: That's not the players who ordered a lockout...
That has nothing to do with your original post. Jacobs wanted to negotiate last year to avoid a lockout, the players refused.

But the "jacobs is evil and caused everything bad" rhetoric is much more simple to say..so i get where youre coming from.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:11 AM
  #42
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
His excuse makes sense but it doesn't move me much. Management made bad decisions and then locked the players out...again. At least there is some acknowledgement of certain things, including the unnecessary lowball offer. Anyway, I'm hoping this is the last press he gets until the parade in July. Hockey, please.
Well said.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:14 AM
  #43
NinthSpoke06
Registered User
 
NinthSpoke06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chestnut Hill
Country: United States
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Are there still people who don't get why the NHL has placed teams in Phoenix, Florida, etc? Seriously?

It's simple, the NHL is never getting the insanely large TV deal they hope to get without those markets. If the league ever has hopes of being as successful as the NFL, NBA and MLB then mores teams in Canada like Quebec and Toronto will do nothing for them.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:14 AM
  #44
ReggieMoto
Registered User
 
ReggieMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 4,429
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Note to Jacobs: The negotiation for a new CBA should have start one year prior the end of the last one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
Uhhhhhh......may want to check who didnt want to negotiate last year cause they wanted to do it "together"... Ill give you a hint. It was not jacobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Ill give you another hint: That's not the players who ordered a lockout...
You are either changing your argument or misstated it in your post. You clearly said Jacobs (and by that I am assuming you mean the owners and not just Jacobs) should have begun the negotiations earlier ("one year prior") and the response was the owners tried but the players didn't want to. Your point was simply refuted.

Had nothing to do with the resulting lockout. It had to do with your implication that the owners didn't want to begin negotiations early; however, everyone keeping up with the way this thing played out knows they did.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:20 AM
  #45
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Jacobs had a news conference tonight. Here is the audio.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2156653/0119...lie_Jacobs.mp3

Jacobs cited his team’s situation – recent Stanley Cup winner, playing in a sold-out building, featuring a contending roster – as reasons why, as an owner, he would have been against a lockout. However, as board chairman, Jacobs said he had a greater responsibility. “I’m the last guy that wants to shut this thing down. Absolutely the last ones out there,” Jacobs said. “There’s a couple Canadian teams – I don’t have to name them – that irrespective are going to be very successful. This is a successful franchise. I don’t want this to shut down. Unfortunately, I play in a league with 30 teams. When I step back and look at what’s going on with the broadest sense, I’ve got to play a role productively in that way. My selfish interest definitely was to keep this going within the parameters of the deal that was out there. But it doesn’t make sense for the league long-term. We have a lot of people that were very tired of this. A lot of people that were promised we would right-size this. I had to play a role in it. From a leadership standpoint, I think I had to play a role. To be vilified, I don’t think is right. But what’s my opinion on something like that?”

“Nobody won,” Jacobs said. “More importantly, nobody lost.
If I won and they lost, then we both lost. If I won and they lost, we both lose. This is a game. We did hurt the game. We didn’t just hurt Boston. We hurt the game of hockey.”
How about the fans you horses backside......

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
  #46
Latrappe
Selke winner
 
Latrappe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
You are either changing your argument or misstated it in your post. You clearly said Jacobs (and by that I am assuming you mean the owners and not just Jacobs) should have begun the negotiations earlier ("one year prior") and the response was the owners tried but the players didn't want to. Your point was simply refuted.

Had nothing to do with the resulting lockout. It had to do with your implication that the owners didn't want to begin negotiations early; however, everyone keeping up with the way this thing played out knows they did.
Doesn't change the fact that the owners can't complain about the lockout since they are one who decided that it was the way to go. It's too bad that Jacobs decided that the spotlight should have been on him instead of hockey. Good'ol Jacobs... He always find a way to annoy fans...

Latrappe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:34 AM
  #47
Schmautzie
Dave est magané
 
Schmautzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Greater Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,636
vCash: 500
He has been trying to be a better owner in the eyes of the fans in recent years but, unfortunately, past baggage will always be an albatross. As a result, he won't get the benefit of the doubt from the vast majority of fans. That's just how it is. He should just accept that and continue with the goodwill actions. The words won't matter. He's giving away concessions. What more do people want? Free Center Ice? Free admission? A chance to skate a few shifts? It would never be enough in the eyes of many.

I will say, the best thing that ever happened to the Bruins franchise is that the Patriots, Red Sox, and Celtics all raised the bar in this town which I believe forced the cultural change in how the B's are now run. We should just enjoy this. Christ, at least this team isn't a mess like some franchises in the division who will not be named.

Schmautzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:15 AM
  #48
JMiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Watertown
Posts: 14,112
vCash: 500
It should take more than a few crocodile tears and a free bag of chips for people to forget that he is, and has always been, a hardliner.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:24 AM
  #49
ReggieMoto
Registered User
 
ReggieMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 4,429
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Doesn't change the fact that the owners can't complain about the lockout since they are one who decided that it was the way to go. It's too bad that Jacobs decided that the spotlight should have been on him instead of hockey.
Well, whether they should be able to complain or not is debatable but to consider this as the spotlight being on him is just crying in your bowl of cereal. I think more than a few (as in many if not most) appreciated him coming forward and offering a perspective from owners side. However, clearly the spotlight was on hockey. There's no denying that.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:40 AM
  #50
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson
 
BMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northeastern CT
Country: United States
Posts: 21,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Jesus, the guy comes out and hands out vouchers personally for the game. Then comes out apologizing profusely for his part in the lockout and tries to explain the business aspect so people will actually understand it and gets nothing but vitriol?

If Jacobs was the greedy evil villain most thought he wouldn't have taken the time to do either. Neither action will put tons of butts in the seats now will payoff large for him in any measurable way.

Funniest part about this whole post lockout scenario is you keep hearing "what is the NHL going to do for us fans?" I see owners doing a ton with free concessions, free tickets, massive discounts on season tickets, and public apologies, I don't see players doing anything similar even though they are taking home 50% of revenues.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
Excellent post.

and IMO let's face it if other owners had Jeremy Jacobs' sense of responsibility for the game & league as a whole the NHL would be in far better shape than it is now. JJ nailed it when he said that he & the other strong franchises could have continued business as usual under the old CBA without it being detrimental to them but it was harming the league as a whole.

I give Jeremy Jacobs full credit for what he did here trying to explain what was happening and his role in it.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.