Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Jaromir Jagr Discussion Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

vCash: 500
Anybody saw his salute after the two goals?

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:05 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
According to Glen Gulutzan, with about 30 seconds left in the game, Jagr said to make sure to have two centers out there on the ice, even though he could have gone back out on the ice and gotten the hat trick with the empty net. Here's the exact quote - "I’ll tell you the most impressive part is with 30-some seconds left, as I was waiting for the line change, he tapped me on the shoulder and said, ‘Make sure we have two centers out there.’ He could have gone for a third (goal) with an empty net, but that wasn’t his mindset; his mindset was get the points.”
I got this from http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/1/...-coyotes-recap

Quote:
On Stars Live, Jagr said he wasnt feeling well, if this is how he plays sick, how does ht play healthy?
I think some are thinking he will slow down or wear down as the season rolls on but I think you will find the opposite. Jagr seems happy and when he's playing well, he's confident and a confident Jagr only gets better. He said he felt tired and still put up 4 Pts. Give him the opportunity to lead (something the Flyers didn't do last year) and he will put up impressive numbers. Barring any injuries (the only thing that derailed his season last year) he will finish in the top 10 in scoring.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:06 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
Anybody saw his salute after the two goals?
No salute, he did a double fist pump.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:28 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
According to Glen Gulutzan, with about 30 seconds left in the game, Jagr said to make sure to have two centers out there on the ice, even though he could have gone back out on the ice and gotten the hat trick with the empty net. Here's the exact quote - "I’ll tell you the most impressive part is with 30-some seconds left, as I was waiting for the line change, he tapped me on the shoulder and said, ‘Make sure we have two centers out there.’ He could have gone for a third (goal) with an empty net, but that wasn’t his mindset; his mindset was get the points.”
Ha. A bit presumptuous? I see a coaching job next.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:35 AM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet View Post
Ha. A bit presumptuous? I see a coaching job next.
Woah woah don't talk about him coaching, that won't be until sometime in 2020's. I see Jagr playing in the NHL until he is around 43ish and then playing in the czech league with Kladno for another 2-4 years before he retires at around 50, then maybe he will coach!

I was kind of hoping to see Jagr at the end, but it was a very smart move to just play conservatively and try to secure the win and not try to get greedy.

I also loved how he was used, with very limited ice time and they saved him for the power play. I know in the 2nd period they barely had time to use him because of the PK'ing but he was well rested for the PP and spent the entire time out there, registering 1:40 of ice time before scoring the goal. So that was just awesome to see hang out on the power play for almost 2 solid minutes and secure the goal. He was doing that in the Czech league, and that is what i wanted to see most once he became a Star. Jagr still has it offensively so if you give him the time on the PP he will produce.

jagrgodr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:43 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
Woah woah don't talk about him coaching, that won't be until sometime in 2020's. I see Jagr playing in the NHL until he is around 43ish and then playing in the czech league with Kladno for another 2-4 years before he retires at around 50, then maybe he will coach!

I was kind of hoping to see Jagr at the end, but it was a very smart move to just play conservatively and try to secure the win and not try to get greedy.

I also loved how he was used, with very limited ice time and they saved him for the power play. I know in the 2nd period they barely had time to use him because of the PK'ing but he was well rested for the PP and spent the entire time out there, registering 1:40 of ice time before scoring the goal. So that was just awesome to see hang out on the power play for almost 2 solid minutes and secure the goal. He was doing that in the Czech league, and that is what i wanted to see most once he became a Star. Jagr still has it offensively so if you give him the time on the PP he will produce.
He won't only score on the PP, the man was drawing double teams at every 5-on-5 situation. Barring any injuries, he's going to be a beast.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:47 AM
jagrgodr

See the problem if he gets a ton of minutes, he is going to draw some serious pressure from huge defenders and take a lot of big hits like the ones Morris delivered, and i am worried about that. You and I both know how Jagr wants to be the best and will do whatever it takes to make the play, i just hope he doesnt get injured. There are so many back to back games and games every other day i kind of hope he gets under 20 minutes a game, unless they are on the power play over 5 times. They could really roll 4 lines and use him on the 1st line PP and out there on key offensive situations, i would be all for that.

Another interesting thing, Jagr can step up his game when needed. Your #1 player in Jamie Benn not here? No problem, Jagr's got it covered!

jagrgodr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:22 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
See the problem if he gets a ton of minutes, he is going to draw some serious pressure from huge defenders and take a lot of big hits like the ones Morris delivered, and i am worried about that. You and I both know how Jagr wants to be the best and will do whatever it takes to make the play, i just hope he doesnt get injured. There are so many back to back games and games every other day i kind of hope he gets under 20 minutes a game, unless they are on the power play over 5 times. They could really roll 4 lines and use him on the 1st line PP and out there on key offensive situations, i would be all for that.

Another interesting thing, Jagr can step up his game when needed. Your #1 player in Jamie Benn not here? No problem, Jagr's got it covered!
I agree with you. I hope he doesn't take any serious injuries either

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
I'm concerned whether he'll still have it 2 years down the road. A compromise would be 1yr guaranteed + 1 yr club option.
That would be a pretty good contract.

Jagr has said multiple times that he's going to keep on playing while he still loves the game, and no matter what level. He could be 48 and playing in a second division Euro league, and he'd still be happy.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:02 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Is it true that Jagr told the media this could be his last year

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:02 PM
livewell68

Quote:

Jagr's a big boy. Getting hit is not the problem, most of the injuries he's gotten in his career, he's played through and usually played well. Last season was an anomaly. He was heavier, hadn't been playing in the NHL in 3 seasons and was playing on a team where he wasn't the offensive focus let alone the 2nd and all this made him to struggle to get back into the lineup.

Jagr himself said after the game that he didn't feel well and thought he was only going to get better. I think he will be playing 19-21 minutes a game. Last night was a sloppy game for everyone in general and without any pre-season and short training camp, players are just getting back into game timing. Jagr's played in the Czech league most of the season and he needs 3 games or so to get back into NHL rhythm. They had pretty much 6 straight minutes of penalty kill time and Jagr was sitting in that time frame but still played 16 minutes. I expect him to play heavy minutes as he knows the importance of winning early and especially on this 7 games in 11 days to kick off the season start.

Last edited by livewell68: 01-20-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 02:05 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
I think it could be if he doesn't have a successful year. He has vowed to leave the NHL if he no longer thought he could be a top scoring threat in the NHL.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:11 PM
czechmate25

Dating back to last year when he put up 3 points when Philly played in Dallas....Jagr has 7 points in his last 2 games at the AAC.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:29 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm looking forward to see how they do tonight!

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:41 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
Dating back to last year when he put up 3 points when Philly played in Dallas....Jagr has 7 points in his last 2 games at the AAC.
It was Jagr's first 4 Pts game since 2008. I don't remember him looking that impressive last season at any point in a game or during the course of the season.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
It was Jagr's first 4 Pts game since 2008. I don't remember him looking that impressive last season at any point in a game or during the course of the season.
That was '08 playoffs Jagr.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:49 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
That was '08 playoffs Jagr.
Yes. He was boss last night, his puck handling skills, finding the open man, creating space for his linemates and getting his shot off from tight are all skills that are still off the charts and considering the overall choppiness of the play, he was skating very well, didn't look as slow as some were predicting he would look this season.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
thats what he said last year, and year before that

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

No need to throw out that "since 08" stat, really he went only one NHL season without a four point game.

Shady12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I'm looking forward to see how they do tonight!
It will be quite a bit more difficult for the top line with Ryan Suter in their face the whole night. The Stars need some of their depth guys to step up tonight against the rest of the Wild's weak defense.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:01 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Better chemistry with Eriksson than Giroux?

FrailSwan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:16 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
No need to throw out that "since 08" stat, really he went only one NHL season without a four point game.
Well it is still since 2008. A lot has changed since 2008, he's no longer 36, he's 40 now and closing in on 41.

It is still a factual stat nonetheless. All Jagr fans and I myself included can tell you that Jagr has not played as well as he did last night at any point in any league (including the Czech league considering the competition and level of play) over the last 4 years including his time in the KHL, his Olympics and World Championships as well as his stint with the Flyers.

Last night's version of Jagr more resembled the 2008 playoffs version of Jagr or the 2005-2007 Jagr.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:19 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
Better chemistry with Eriksson than Giroux?
Well considering that it took Jagr 8 games to score his first goal last season (he had 4 assists in his first 7 games), I say Jagr and Eriksson could have better chemistry than he had with Giroux last season.

Eriksson more resembles a younger version of Straka/ Nylander and those two players had great chemistry and success playing with Jagr. When Jagr is healthy and confident, all you have to do is give him the puck and he will make plays happen.

Even if Jagr doesn't score 20 goals (I think he will be around 18-24 goals myself), he will be racking up the assists playing with Eriksson, Benn/ Roy and with Whitney on the powerplay.

Can me an optimist or even a dreamer but I see Jagr having 18-24 goals and 30-40 assists for about 48-64 Pts if he can remain healthy.

Last edited by livewell68: 01-20-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 04:33 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
Well considering that it took Jagr 8 games to score his first goal last season (he had 4 assists in his first 7 games), I say Jagr and Eriksson could have better chemistry than he had with Giroux last season.

Eriksson more resembles a younger version of Straka/ Nylander and those two players had great chemistry and success playing with Jagr. When Jagr is healthy and confident, all you have to do is give him the puck and he will make plays happen.

Even if Jagr doesn't score 20 goals (I think he will be around 18-24 goals myself), he will be racking up the assists playing with Eriksson, Benn/ Roy and with Whitney on the powerplay.

Can me an optimist or even a dreamer but I see Jagr having 18-24 goals and 30-40 assists for about 48-64 Pts if he can remain healthy.
Hey, I'll go glass half full with you!

FrailSwan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:44 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Maybe it was just an "on" game for him. I don't want to get too excited after 1 game.

Regardless, having someone on this team who can actually score against those stingy guys in Phoenix is sweet relief.

We finally beat Smith in regulation.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote