HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals @ Lightning. 1.19.13. 7PM

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 12:09 PM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
well...theyve had this coach for a good while now and used their camp for conditioning rather than systems implimentation. right?
Actually no. The Boucher added a new system this offseason and was implementing it during camp.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:25 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

I swear this forum is stupid.

Lets fire GMGM. One game. All because of one ****ing game.

Its funny, Burke got fired, then 7 years later the core he drafted brought the team to the Stanley Cup.

Lets go ahead, lets do it. I would love to have to do deal with when our new GM still doesn't have any deals to be made and can't draft worth **** vs the one who turned Varlamov who didn't want to re-sign into Forsberg and some how Tom Wilson is turning out to be very good(boy was I wrong). Hell look at Barber, he just didn't have a good streak in the WJC, he is doing great in the NCAA.

Ovechkin should go back to left wing, there wasn't a single thing that looked liked an advantage for him being a right winger.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:40 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post

Its funny, Burke got fired, then 7 years later the core he drafted brought the team to the Stanley Cup.

Lets go ahead, lets do it. I would love to have to do deal with when our new GM still doesn't have any deals to be made and can't draft worth **** vs the one who turned Varlamov who didn't want to re-sign into Forsberg and some how Tom Wilson is turning out to be very good(boy was I wrong). Hell look at Barber, he just didn't have a good streak in the WJC, he is doing great in the NCAA.

Ovechkin should go back to left wing, there wasn't a single thing that looked liked an advantage for him being a right winger.
GMGM is new to town? He's only been building this team this year?

This team has gone from one of the best offenses to having Johannson on its top line.

OV's stats started to decline as Knuble started to. We need another guy on that top line. If he can somehow get Perry, all would be forgotten. Kuz, Forsberg, etc. aren't going to bring what we need on the first line.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Not a good showing by the boys, they'll need to jell a little, still no identity... but the next game i want Erskine in line up. I dont care that he isn't top 4 or even 6 material, i just want D-core tougher then Double Nickle, Nerd or Hillen.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
GMGM is new to town? He's only been building this team this year?

This team has gone from one of the best offenses to having Johannson on its top line.

OV's stats started to decline as Knuble started to. We need another guy on that top line. If he can somehow get Perry, all would be forgotten. Kuz, Forsberg, etc. aren't going to bring what we need on the first line.
Mike Knuble is what made this team? He didn't come until 09-10.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:53 PM
G3 LesPaul

If I remember right, the first game of the season when Theo was our goalie, we got smacked like 6-2 in Atlanta.

We went on to make the playoffs and Atlanta didnt make it.

If one game (let alone FIRST game) were to judge a team, the Kings, Rangers, Philly, and Wings would all in trouble.

We know this isn't true.

We will win on Tuesday and we will be fine.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
If I remember right, the first game of the season when Theo was our goalie, we got smacked like 6-2 in Atlanta.

We went on to make the playoffs and Atlanta didnt make it.

If one game (let alone FIRST game) were to judge a team, the Kings, Rangers, Philly, and Wings would all in trouble.

We know this isn't true.

We will win on Tuesday and we will be fine.
Beaten to it. Kinda wanted to bring it up in a smartass "thank god we never lost a season opener under Boudreau while being lit up for 6 goals by a crappy southeast team" way.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
hunter was defense to the exclusion of everything else. it was beagle to the exclusion of ovechkin. there were no decisions to be made. no thinking. defensemen dumped the puck in and went no further than the blue line.

even with that the caps took months to find a way to make it work. lets give this more than a game.

i dont know much about hockey. but it looked to me like the caps had the bolts boxed in for the first period. as their energy ebbed their control of the game slide as well. sounds like conditioning to me.

oates was quoted as saying they needed to use their ice time on systems and to get in shape on your own. again...that sounds like conditioning.
I think had Hunter stayed on he would have expanded offensively this year. He got a team in free-fall, looked at the calendar, and decided that the only thing he could do given the time frame and the condition of the team was fix the defense. And the only way he could fix the defense was to punt the offense out of the players' minds, so that he had all their focus. He needed to Hartman their *****, and that takes time and lots of repetition. Had he come back this year they'd probably have built on the super effective defense and introduced more and more offensive elements. Like Kings did with Sutter building on Murray's defense.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:25 PM
sunnydaycrash

1 game.....1 game folks......the one thing this teams needs is someone on that 4th line that will step up when someone takes liberties.
Poor Hillen, gets slammed and no one does anything. If it were Backstrom laying on the ice, someone would've stepped up. Imagine how Hillen must feel knowing that. If someone had stepped up, the team would've responded with some fire.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
1 game.....1 game folks......the one thing this teams needs is someone on that 4th line that will step up when someone takes liberties.
Poor Hillen, gets slammed and no one does anything. If it were Backstrom laying on the ice, someone would've stepped up. Imagine how Hillen must feel knowing that. If someone had stepped up, the team would've responded with some fire.
Just like when Bork elbowed him last year?

Old
01-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Halpysback

If we saw Jeff Schultz lying on the ice the entire team would have transformed into a white hot ball of rage and GMGM would have strangled whoever did it and their family, and also one other random family that had nothing to do with any of it, probably from the Key West area.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:10 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I think had Hunter stayed on he would have expanded offensively this year. .
i think he had no intention of coaching beyond the playoffs. he lived in a hotel. he wore one suit. he didnt bring a car and jim johnson drove him around.

he was apparantly coaching the way he was over the objections of mcphee. i saw not a single sign that dale was planning on staying beyond when he did.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:11 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:

We were talking about if Oates fails. Bring in a consultant to help overwhelmed George.

Clearly you didnt see Ovi fly in at RW and fire a strong pass to 19 then drove the net and had a near easy tip in, his best scoring chance. Its a strong play and the type of play we never saw from that pair on the rush with Ovi at LW. All forehand play with crisp passes.

We complain about George, you complain about Ovi even though it was he who wanted to move.... why differentiate what we complain about. We complain after a loss and wins. Its the internets. Its how we roll.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-20-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
i think he had no intention of coaching beyond the playoffs. he lived in a hotel. he wore one suit. he didnt bring a car and jim johnson drove him around.

he was apparantly coaching the way he was over the objections of mcphee. i saw not a single sign that dale was planning on staying beyond when he did.
I realize that, but I mean had he decided to stay on for whatever reason. Say we get to the ECF and his family talks him into it, cause if he doesn't it will haunt him the rest of his life, or something.

Hunter was able to take a ton of the thinking out of the game defensively. If he were able to do the same offensively this team would be unbeatable. That's what all good teams do. They don't think.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Atlas

3-3 game on the road halfway through the 3rd Period against a good team. I can't complain.

Our PP had many good chances. That's a big deal. Ever since the Habs debacle in the playoffs our PP has looked awful--struggling to even get shots on goal. With Ribs and Backstrom setting up one-timers for Ovie and Green, I'm optimistic about the PP.

When Green (or anybody) consistently shoots from the blue line it opens up all kinds of space for the other guys. I hope Oates notices that.

Anyway, we ain't gonna win the Cup but there is hope for a decent season.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Govechkin

In my mind its entirely too early to make any judgments on the team as a whole or re. Oates as our coach. He had six days of practice to install a new system, learn about his personnel, and try to get ready for an opening day game.

Did we lose the game on special teams? Most likely. Failing to score on those early PPs and taking 8 penalties is always a recipe for trouble. Were we tied going into the third? Yes. So it wasn't like the Bolts built up some huge lead and ran us out of the building from the get-go. But its one game. We had worse games under all of our coaches. I think we looked sloppy on the PK and in our D zone, but Oates favorite word seems to be "reads" and we didn't make the right ones yet. I think this will change.

I am a Caps fan, always was, always will be, and the team has a great set of young goalies, defensemen, some scoring studs and a few guys in the pipeline that make me think we can be a team chasing the playoffs almost every year. As the last decade or so has shown us, seeding means little come playoff time, and if you get in and catch fire, you can make a serious run. That's what I look for in a team, the chance to be competitive every year, and the Caps are this. After all, every team but one goes home without raising the Cup, so the chances are you won't be that team.

It is far far too early to make any clear statements on how this team, this coach, these players will turn out this year. Will they be more fun to watch than last year? Probably. I already like their PP system better. Talk to me after Sunday's game and see where we are, and then we can have a discussion about how this team looks and what its deficiencies are. Until then, cheer the team you love, and root for some good entertaining icecapades.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:55 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I realize that, but I mean had he decided to stay on for whatever reason. Say we get to the ECF and his family talks him into it, cause if he doesn't it will haunt him the rest of his life, or something.

Hunter was able to take a ton of the thinking out of the game defensively. If he were able to do the same offensively this team would be unbeatable. That's what all good teams do. They don't think.
i'd only suggest that he took a lot of thinking out of the game by removing the offense from the equation. if he added offense back, then the decisions would resume.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

It was Day 7 of learning a new system and posistions so they were over thinking every play, The goal is come playoff time the team with have new system down enough to be playing mindless hockey.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
i'd only suggest that he took a lot of thinking out of the game by removing the offense from the equation. if he added offense back, then the decisions would resume.
I think he'd be adding offense in gradually. He did more than just remove offense. He forced them to play man to man and constantly pressure the opponent in the defensive zone. Towards the end they were also putting up lots of pressure in the neutral zone (well not lots but about as much as you can optimally expect given that their prime directive was to collapse back), and their cycle game was excellent at everything except getting the puck in the net. The crap we saw yesterday with all the Tampons walking into the slot with 4 players standing around with their dicks in the hands or breakdancing on the ice did not happen under Hunter.

What he did needed to be built on and morphed into some predators/kings/blues type system, not discarded altogether. First 5-10 games of this season should have been pure hunterhockey, with offensive elements gradually introduced subsequently. Get them back in the mindset, all completely on the same page, then give them 5 games to work a particular cycle, 5 games to teach defensemen when to get activated offensively, and so on, adding new elements but keeping the old fresh. Make sure their instincts are still fresh, then drill more and more rewarding plays down to instinct level. It's why Lidstrom was Lidstrom despite not being much of a physical specimen. Humans are very conditionable if it's done right, which it very rarely is.

I also believe McPhee should have purged the roster of guys like Schultz and added players with a good idea of how they'd fit together. Considerations that you see from GMs whose teams gel really well. GMGM's offseason strategy seem to be "hmm, need more playoff grit, Brouwer and Ward, check. Hmm, need center and secondary scoring, Ribeiro and Wolski, check". One guy out of sync guy throws the whole line off and forces them to think extra, which negates the whole exercise. I'm not complaining about Ribeiro (though I'd have personally gone with Jokinen instead to save assets and use them on other holes, then re-evaluate in the 2013 offseason), but more just commenting on his general mindset.

It's telling that the only guys who had good games yesterday were guys who left their brain at the door and just charged the net like Ward and Wolski or played completely to their instincts like Ribeiro and Alzner.

If you really think our guys are only capable of derphockey or hunterhockey, that we can't do with them what Hitchcock did with STL or DeBoer with the Devils or Sutter with LA, then a massive roster purge would be needed in order for us to move forward. Everything but Backstrom and Carlzner must go massive. I don't think that's the case, but I do think both GM and coaching could use more attention to detail in bringing in players that fit and putting them in positions to succeed, and dumping those that do not.

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-20-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 04:29 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
It happens every year. People need to give it at least 10 games before we really see how teams are.

And don't forget that in 1995's shortened season, the Devils only won 2 of their first 8 games.
Posted on main board in a topic making fun of this boards and the Red Wings overreaction.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Capathetic

I thought chimera looked really slow for his typical standard. I'm not sure how good Brouwer is on the pk. He's never a threat to skate it back the other way,maybe he's in laichs spot.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:08 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Mike Knuble is what made this team? He didn't come until 09-10.
Knuble was the last legitimate top 6 RW Ovechkin skated with (Semin was a top 6 RW but didn't regularly play with Ovechkin for various reasons).

Kozlov and Knuble helped OV and Backstrom a lot. I think it's a fair point.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:08 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Just like when Bork elbowed him last year?
Good point.....this team needs to grow a pair

Old
01-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Good point.....this team needs to grow a pair
Attitude reflects leadership, something this team doesn't have.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:17 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I don't buy the conditioning argument. Why did the Bolts have so much more jump in the 3rd? They haven't all been playing this whole time.

Maybe the Caps got lost in a new system, or, more likely, maybe it was just a bad night against a good offensive team. Those are going to happen several times a year. There's a reason why playoff series are seven games long... one game is not conclusive evidence of how good or bad a team is.

Of course, we have to chalk it up to it being just the 1st game. We have NO choice.

But boneheaded defenceive play has been an on-going problem nearly the entire time McPhee's been here.

I guess it just angers me that we're rebuilding again... and as has been mentioned, fronting an offenceive coach with players severely lacking in defenceive ability and discipline. A Keenan type might have fit the bill better. Oh well... spilled milk, again.

Closed Thread