HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

wings defense

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 11:41 AM
  #1
djdan6215
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
wings defense

i know that its only one game and ite really early to panic but in my opinion we need a top defense for help brandan smith , smith have a very good future but need to be with a top defense

what is the solution :

offer to pk subban ??
trade for bogosian ??

kronwall--ericsson
smith-- ???
quincey-- white
cola

djdan6215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:13 PM
  #2
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!
 
DatsyukToZetterberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,193
vCash: 500
I think there are a couple of options out there for us but it really depends on which way our front office wants to go. For the record I don't think any moves will be made until the 6-10 game mark & it depends on how we're playing at that time if we even make an moves.

Option 1: Offer Sheet Pk Subban, 5 years at 5.25M per, we give up our 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks this year, by far the riskiest of all the options. I heard the last Habs offer was 3M per for 2 years so this might make them think twice if they feel that PK may not fit in long term.

Option 2: Trade for a high profile dman, if we go this way every prospect and roster player would be on the table & even then I'm not sure who we could acquire. We don't really have the pieces for a Bogosian as the Jets would want any extreme overpayment as he is finally living up to his potential.

Option 3: Trade for a defensive specialist, somebody like an Orpik, Tallinder, Scuderi, Murray etc. This is the route I hope we take as it shouldn't cost to much to get one of these type of players & they could potential do the most good for our team.

Option 4: We do nothing. We either turn it around and win some games getting to the playoffs or we continue to lose games and we get a top 3 pick. This is the most likely option.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:37 PM
  #3
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,445
vCash: 500
I think we may do a low key trade. Holland isn't going to trade any significant assets as we have a pretty good handle on the way he operates. He hasn't made a blockbuster trade since the salary cap was put into place.

So if I had to guess I'd say maybe he makes a play for a Robyn Regehr level d-man. Then go with something like this:

Regehr-White
Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-Smith

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:40 PM
  #4
Kshahdoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 3,003
vCash: 500
Some NJ fans are ok with Volchenkov for 2nd... I guess it could be a decent trade for Wings. And Dats will get his fellow countryman.

Kshahdoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
  #5
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!
 
DatsyukToZetterberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Some NJ fans are ok with Volchenkov for 2nd... I guess it could be a decent trade for Wings. And Dats will get his fellow countryman.
I do not want Volchenkov, with the cap going down as much as it is & us having to resign some key players I'd rather not take on his contract. I've also heard he is clearly no longer the guy he was in Ottawa & has lost a step and isn't using his body like he once was. I wouldn't mind Tallinder though as the few Devil games I see he normally plays well.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:50 PM
  #6
Kshahdoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 3,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I do not want Volchenkov, with the cap going down as much as it is & us having to resign some key players I'd rather not take on his contract. I've also heard he is clearly no longer the guy he was in Ottawa & has lost a step and isn't using his body like he once was. I wouldn't mind Tallinder though as the few Devil games I see he normally plays well.
Well, perhaps. But idea is NJ need attack and Wings need defense. And NJ have defensemen in abundance.

Kshahdoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:54 PM
  #7
djdan6215
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
options

regehr would be nice ,volchenkov no thanks

djdan6215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:01 PM
  #8
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,830
vCash: 500
Get some physical defensive dman for a low to mid pick. Or trade one of the bottom 6 forwards. I don't expect or want to make big move right now. Subban or Bogosian etc won't guarantee that we get to the playoffs. They aren't worth the price that we would have to pay.

And for god sakes don't trade this years first for anything less than a star player.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:06 PM
  #9
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I do not want Volchenkov, with the cap going down as much as it is & us having to resign some key players I'd rather not take on his contract. I've also heard he is clearly no longer the guy he was in Ottawa & has lost a step and isn't using his body like he once was. I wouldn't mind Tallinder though as the few Devil games I see he normally plays well.
Yup he's gotten old.

Based on last season. He's still tough, blocks shots and solid on the pk. But that contract is bad and not worth a second rounder.

Tallinder, Greener and Fayne.. would take any of those.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:25 PM
  #10
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
34-year-old Swedish defenseman who shoots left? No thanks.
5'11 defenseman who shoots left? No thanks

Fayne? 6'3. Righthanded.

ASSETS: Moves the puck efficiently and has offensive ability to boot. Has excellent size for the NHL game. Uses sound positioning to defend capably.

FLAWS: Needs to take better advantage of his physical gifts (6-3, 215 pounds) in order to keep opponents honest in when in the attacking zone.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Solid puck-moving defenseman.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:09 PM
  #11
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
34-year-old Swedish defenseman who shoots left? No thanks.
5'11 defenseman who shoots left? No thanks

Fayne? 6'3. Righthanded.

ASSETS: Moves the puck efficiently and has offensive ability to boot. Has excellent size for the NHL game. Uses sound positioning to defend capably.

FLAWS: Needs to take better advantage of his physical gifts (6-3, 215 pounds) in order to keep opponents honest in when in the attacking zone.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Solid puck-moving defenseman.
Sounds an awful lot like a righty Ericsson with a bit more offense to me. Big guy who doesn't use his size enough? Yep sounds like an instant fan favorite! Aren't these usually the type of guys you slam on CB? The big bodies who play too soft?

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:12 PM
  #12
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Sounds an awful lot like a righty Ericsson with a bit more offense to me. Big guy who doesn't use his size enough? Yep sounds like an instant fan favorite! Aren't these usually the type of guys you slam on CB? The big bodies who play too soft?
But he's a righty. Not saying he's ideal, but if we can get a two-wayish right-handed D with great size... I'm for it.
All depends on the cost

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:36 PM
  #13
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
34-year-old Swedish defenseman who shoots left? No thanks.
5'11 defenseman who shoots left? No thanks

Fayne? 6'3. Righthanded.

ASSETS: Moves the puck efficiently and has offensive ability to boot. Has excellent size for the NHL game. Uses sound positioning to defend capably.

FLAWS: Needs to take better advantage of his physical gifts (6-3, 215 pounds) in order to keep opponents honest in when in the attacking zone.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Solid puck-moving defenseman.
Wow, didn't realize he was that small.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:23 PM
  #14
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Option 3: Trade for a defensive specialist, somebody like an Orpik, Tallinder, Scuderi, Murray etc. This is the route I hope we take as it shouldn't cost to much to get one of these type of players & they could potential do the most good for our team.
Pens fan coming in peace.

Can't speak for the other guys but Orpik is not likely to be available and it would cost more to get him than you might think. Legitimate 1st pairing D with his style of game don't grow on trees, and short of a prospect who has no experience yet, we don't have any other D who fit his mold. Anyway Penguins are going to be buyers all the way this year, not sellers. I doubt if you could get Scuds from LA either. Not much reason to trade a guy like that, in their situation.

Will be interested to see how Holland and Babcock react to yesterday. Only one game but was surprising the way it went. You guys know your team a lot better than I do but if you guys end up struggling / in rebuild mode I can't see Holland doing it the "build through young prospects" road. He's going to go out and be a big player on the FA market this summer. You guys always find a way to be competitive.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:36 PM
  #15
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,997
vCash: 500
Fayne is a nice idea, but I don't think they want to trade him just to create the same problem for themselves.

Only teams, with more than three right-handed D, that could sell one, are:


Carolina (Faulk, Corvo, McBain, Sanguinetti)
Chicago (Seabrook, Roszival, Mondador, Brookbank)
Nashville (Weber, Klein, Ellis, Blum)
San Jose (Boyle, Burns, Demers, Braun)

We kind of can forget any trade ideas with these organizations.

Thank god we have drafted Sproul, Jensen, Marchenko and Nicastro and for those future days after ~5 years we don't need any outside help for this problem, hopefully.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:47 PM
  #16
fimoknete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Roesrath, Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdan6215 View Post
i know that its only one game and ite really early to panic but in my opinion we need a top defense for help brandan smith , smith have a very good future but need to be with a top defense

what is the solution :

offer to pk subban ??
trade for bogosian ??

kronwall--ericsson
smith-- ???
quincey-- white
cola
actually we are here when we are talking about a nhl cup contender:

??? -- ???
kronwall -- ???
smith -- ericsson/quincey/white/cola/kindl/lashhoff

or can u name the quality replacements for lidstrom, rafalski and stuart? what should we do with 7 #6 defenders? same for the top lines. we have 3 legit top6 guys and the rest is expendable rubbish. so far we have max 20% of a hockey team together.

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:17 PM
  #17
ZDH
Registered User
 
ZDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,350
vCash: 500
...is the worst in the NHL

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:22 PM
  #18
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,997
vCash: 500
Who is the best Michigan-born right-handed D in NHL right now?

EDIT:

Found some of them.

James Wisniewski
Matt Greene
Jeff Petry
Jonathan Blum
Corey Potter
Steven Kampfer


Last edited by Henkka: 01-20-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:26 PM
  #19
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post
actually we are here when we are talking about a nhl cup contender:

??? -- ???
kronwall -- ???
smith -- ericsson/quincey/white/cola/kindl/lashhoff

or can u name the quality replacements for lidstrom, rafalski and stuart? what should we do with 7 #6 defenders? same for the top lines. we have 3 legit top6 guys and the rest is expendable rubbish. so far we have max 20% of a hockey team together.
not even gonna touch the ridiculous defense part

but 3 legit top 6 guys?

who would those be?


Last edited by ricky0034: 01-20-2013 at 05:32 PM.
ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:26 PM
  #20
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 18,464
vCash: 500
Would be interesting if they went out and offer sheeted Subban. I would expect Montreal to match, but it is something they should think about.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:50 PM
  #21
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Fayne is a nice idea, but I don't think they want to trade him just to create the same problem for themselves.

Only teams, with more than three right-handed D, that could sell one, are:


Carolina (Faulk, Corvo, McBain, Sanguinetti)
Chicago (Seabrook, Roszival, Mondador, Brookbank)
Nashville (Weber, Klein, Ellis, Blum)
San Jose (Boyle, Burns, Demers, Braun)

We kind of can forget any trade ideas with these organizations.

Thank god we have drafted Sproul, Jensen, Marchenko and Nicastro and for those future days after ~5 years we don't need any outside help for this problem, hopefully.
Roszival is a guy I was pushing for us to sign. Wouldn't cost much and he'd give us a true top 4 guy. He's not dominant, but he would have filled a need at a reasonable price.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:05 PM
  #22
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post
so far we have max 20% of a hockey team together.
And a salary cap. Sorry that not everyone on the team can be on Datsyuk's level like you would like.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:09 PM
  #23
CloneHakanPlease*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Roszival is a guy I was pushing for us to sign. Wouldn't cost much and he'd give us a true top 4 guy. He's not dominant, but he would have filled a need at a reasonable price.
I'd be fine with this to start. Still baffled that Holland decided on giving CC a call before Roszival.

Edit: I guess we dont know if he did or not, but I can't imagine Roszival to be in a position to be that selective.

I wouldn't mind offersheeting Subban, especially if that is all they are offering him. 4 years at 4.75 mil? I'm honestly amazed at how little Montreal's offer is for. I'd expect him to be getting 4 easily from them. Before that offer I thought realistic offersheets would start at 5.25 per

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:36 PM
  #24
DeYarmond Edison
#fireholland
 
DeYarmond Edison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Metro Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 3,131
vCash: 500
We need to do something in the realm of offer sheeting a guy like Subban. It's only one game but I cant recall the defense looking so helpless.

I got slammed around here last year for saying this. But Quincey is painful to watch. Everybody looked bad last night, but man.. Maybe I just have something against him but I can't stand the guy.

DeYarmond Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:40 PM
  #25
ScottyBowman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeYarmond Edison View Post
We need to do something in the realm of offer sheeting a guy like Subban. It's only one game but I cant recall the defense looking so helpless.

I got slammed around here last year for saying this. But Quincey is painful to watch. Everybody looked bad last night, but man.. Maybe I just have something against him but I can't stand the guy.
I don't think an offer sheet does much besides piss off other teams and helping sign a player to their team. Plus with the potential for us to suck this season, we might be giving away good draft picks. These aren't the old Red Wings who would draft between 25-30.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.