HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Which Set of Players is More Effective?

View Poll Results: Which Is Better? (NOT FANTASY RELATED!)
A 11 12.79%
B 66 76.74%
Dead Even - Exactly the Same 9 10.47%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-19-2013, 01:54 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
A.

Whitney is more impactful than all of the forwards in B combined.

That leaves Langkow, Pyatt, O'Sullivan, Aucoin, and Rosival vs. Michalek and Rundblad.

Even if you disregard Aucoin and Rosival as some have done, Michalek and Rundblad don't win.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:49 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Wouldn't you expect to get at least as many points from the B group of forwards as the A group? Everyone is talking about the huge loss of Whitney. His 77pts, Langkow's 30, Pyatt's 19 and we will call POS 19 (which is generous given his 4 in 23). This gives you 145 in an 82game season-ish. Let's look at group B from the perspective of 82 games (for simplicity's sake). I'll go very conservative, here. 40 from Sullivan, 45 from Vermette, 30 from Lombardi and 30 from Moss. Gives you 145. The defense is fairly obviously superior.

01-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Really, I just want Ray Whitney.

Keep in mind my team hasn't seen a good pass in 7 years so I'm a little swayed.

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
The fact that on paper, they're a pretty terrible team but Tippett is one of the best coaches when it comes to regular season success. That's just how it works here. I think they'll be right around the same place they were last year, personally.
OEL, Yandle, Klesla, Michalek, Doan, Hanzal etc. They most certainly aren't terrible, in fact they have one of the deepest defensive groups in the entire NHL and they make up for their lack of top end talent up front by playing a smart team game with the help of their great defense.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:16 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Team B.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:37 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Wouldn't you expect to get at least as many points from the B group of forwards as the A group? Everyone is talking about the huge loss of Whitney. His 77pts, Langkow's 30, Pyatt's 19 and we will call POS 19 (which is generous given his 4 in 23). This gives you 145 in an 82game season-ish. Let's look at group B from the perspective of 82 games (for simplicity's sake). I'll go very conservative, here. 40 from Sullivan, 45 from Vermette, 30 from Lombardi and 30 from Moss. Gives you 145. The defense is fairly obviously superior.
Just playing devils advocate a bit here, I think you can make the argument that Whitney is effectively a game breaker. Someone who can reliably pierce even the best defenses and make passes to guys like Vrbata.

When you bundle up Lombardi, Sullivan, Moss and even Vermette you have basically a bag of crap from a bad trade proposal.
But if you look at team A, you can say Whitney is going to elevate the game of the rest of the team and will be a force other teams have to gameplan around. The Coyotes do not have such a forward right now.

Personally I think Whitney's contributions were important, but a tad overrated. I base this on the experience of the 09-10 team which was also excellent, and it had the same "problem" our current team B has.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote