HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ben Bishop to Oilers

Old
01-17-2013, 10:46 PM
inthewings

vCash: 500
Marincin

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I would trade Potter and a 3rd for Bishop, but not Peckham and a 2nd. The Oilers only have Smid, and Fistric as physical blueliners so it will be good to have some depth WHEN injuries arise

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:42 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I would trade Potter and a 3rd for Bishop, but not Peckham and a 2nd. The Oilers only have Smid, and Fistric as physical blueliners so it will be good to have some depth WHEN injuries arise
We already traded our 3rd for Fistric but agreed I'd rather trade Potter than Peckham.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:46 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Peckham and a 2nd for Bishop makes sense I think.

As a Sens fan, I'm not terribly keen on trading Bishop just yet, but he's also only a minor piece and Lehner is proving he is ready for the jump to backup duties in the NHL.

Peckham fills a short-term defensive need and the second could add another decent prospect to the farm in a few years time.

For Edmonton, it'd address a need for a backup goaltender with Khabibulin injured. An insurance policy on Dubnyk is key this season, if the Oilers are to make the playoffs. Peckham is an expendable part given the Oilers have roster players who are already better than Peckham and prospects about to jump him on the depth chart.

Basically, a short-term deal for both sides on parts that are probably leaving the organizations in a few years' time anyway.

01-17-2013, 11:49 PM
plikestechno

Dubnyk's the same age, better and has way more NHL experience. He also beat out superhyped Johnathan Bernier for the Spengler Cup job too. I for one am excited that they've finally handed the reigns over to Scooby Dub.

He's almost .500 the past couple of years on a team that's been allergic to team defense with one of the worst D corps in the league.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:50 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Peckham and a 2nd for Bishop makes sense I think.

As a Sens fan, I'm not terribly keen on trading Bishop just yet, but he's also only a minor piece and Lehner is proving he is ready for the jump to backup duties in the NHL.

Peckham fills a short-term defensive need and the second could add another decent prospect to the farm in a few years time.

For Edmonton, it'd address a need for a backup goaltender with Khabibulin injured. An insurance policy on Dubnyk is key this season, if the Oilers are to make the playoffs. Peckham is an expendable part given the Oilers have roster players who are already better than Peckham and prospects about to jump him on the depth chart.

Basically, a short-term deal for both sides on parts that are probably leaving the organizations in a few years' time anyway.
Honestly, if the Oil acquired Bishop, I could see a 1A/1B tandem between Dubnyk & Bishop. Best case scenario would be that they push eachother and both thrive by not having the pressure of being "the man" while staying fresh all season, especially considering how condensed the schedule is going to be this year (a game every 2nd night, essentially). A good backup is going to be KEY this year I think for any team, because of the schedule. Condensed schedule + no reliable backup = a gassed-out starting goalie.

In a 48 game season, I could see a 28/20ish game split between Dub & Bish.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:53 PM
Akonite

Can't say I'd support a deal for Bishop at this point in time. There's no denying his talent but Dubnyk has earned a chance as a starter in my mind.

A goalie acquisition for the Oilers right now (if any) should be for a veteran back up should Khabbibulin be out for an extended stretch.

Akonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:54 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Peckham and Anaheim's 2nd,

Danis was brought up because they were in question of Khabi's ability to play after his surgery.

I think a Bishop tandem with Dubnyk as the starter would be great for the Oilers. The competition would keep them on edge.

And in such a short season, 1 injury to Dubnyk and hello 1st overall

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:59 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Peckham and Anaheim's 2nd,

Danis was brought up because they were in question of Khabi's ability to play after his surgery.

I think a Bishop tandem with Dubnyk as the starter would be great for the Oilers. The competition would keep them on edge.

And in such a short season, 1 injury to Dubnyk and hello 1st overall
You mean "hello 1st overall AGAIN."

Look, someone was going to say it. It's been said. We can move on now. No more awkward waiting until someone makes the obvious and overplayed joke.

I'm taking one for the team here, guys.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
You mean "hello 1st overall AGAIN."

Look, someone was going to say it. It's been said. We can move on now. No more awkward waiting until someone makes the obvious and overplayed joke.

I'm taking one for the team here, guys.
I was honestly going to write that but it was almost to painful. Even if it was 2nd last with Yakupov it still feels like the basement.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:36 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Why do the Oilers need Bishop, other then some Edmonton Blogger mentioned it. He's not going to improve the team, and then's their is the fact he's a RFA this summer and is he worth resigning as a backup. At best he might get a 2nd, but no more, rather wait till next summer and take a chance on the FA market. There also is waivers, and there is bound to be a decent backup adviable.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:46 AM
BarDownBobo

A more logical deal could probably be made at the deadline if Ottawa is in the hunt and it looks like Edmonton is out, moving say Whitney for Bishop+pick/prospect. At least in my opinion. Doesn't make sense to either side right now.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:03 AM
miser

Everyone is a little quick to presume Ottawa moves Bishop.
Another scenario could see the Sens move Anderson at the deadline.

There is no harm in the status quo for Ottawa.
Give Lehner a few more looks at the NHL level and send back to Bingo, leaving Anderson with Bishop as his backup.

The only reason that this is being talked about is that Ottawa may need top four D, but Ottawa has other chips to deal for that if the D proves too vulnerable early on.

miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:56 AM
rockinghockey

Goes to show you how bad HF fans are when they want a 1st round pick or a Klefbom or Schultz.

Bishop does not get you a dman prospect that has top 2 potential just crazy.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:00 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Goes to show you how bad HF fans are when they want a 1st round pick or a Klefbom or Schultz.

Bishop does not get you a dman prospect that has top 2 potential just crazy.
What defenceman with top-2 potential was mentioned in this thread?

Old
01-18-2013, 01:38 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
What defenceman with top-2 potential was mentioned in this thread?
Someone mention Marincin, who does have top 2 potential, but realistically he'll be a very good 3.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
SpezDispenser

Don't see much from Edmonton I'd want for Bishop. I'm hoping the Sens package Bishop + Zibanejad + 1st/Cody Cedi for a real impact forward or defenseman.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I'd rather have Dubnyk as an Oiler than Bishop if I had to have one or the other.
HF will never grow out of its shiny new toy love philosophy.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:34 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I'd rather have Dubnyk as an Oiler than Bishop if I had to have one or the other.
HF will never grow out of its shiny new toy love philosophy.
It's pretty close IMO, but yeah, I'd probably rather Dubnyk.

We're talking about for backup right? Because I'd never hand the reigns to Bishop or Dubnyk as a starter - at least not for a while. Not with Anderson and Lehner in the wings, but yeah, they could battle it out for backup duties I guess.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Jamin

Arent there more goalies then jobs. You have to assume Dubnyk is the starter based on contract and everything coming out of Edmonton. A 2nd round pick for a backup goalie when the team can sign 1 of 20 backup goalies this summer

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:19 PM
rockinghockey

I don't think that EDM should waste a 2nd on a goalie, If Dube stays healthy nothing to worry about, Yan is good enough to be a back up.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:52 PM
molsonmuscle360

Dubnyk needs a chance to prove himself. He played well in the back half of last season and played great at the Spengler cup. There is no reason that he shouldn't be given at least one full go at being a starter. He got the starter spot ahead of Berneir in the Spengler Cup, so that says something about where is game seems to be trending.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Roof Daddy

Someone mentioned an idea on the Oilers trade forum about Martindale + Peckham/Potter. I could get down with this, but I don't want to trade one of our 2nds in a draft this deep. And if we do trade one of our 2nds, it better be in a package for a good rental at the deadline (assuming we're playoff bound), not for a backup goalie.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:52 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Someone mentioned an idea on the Oilers trade forum about Martindale + Peckham/Potter. I could get down with this, but I don't want to trade one of our 2nds in a draft this deep. And if we do trade one of our 2nds, it better be in a package for a good rental at the deadline (assuming we're playoff bound), not for a backup goalie.
Ottawa has absolutely no need for Martindale.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:10 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Ottawa has absolutely no need for Martindale.
Not a big fan of Martindale, but he was the 1st star the last Baron game and the Oilers are weak at C in the system. Too much being offer for a backup goalie, I wish Stauffer would stop having these Brain Farts.