HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul extended - 5 years x 5.25m

Old
01-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Longshot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
It was a potential problem when he signed, really 5.5M when Krejci just signed for 5.25M was an overpayment when you compare the players. Lupul may have got 250K more than he deserved due to the Grabo contract that was negotiated when the Cap was 70M this year. But in the end, Lupul accepted less, so we got lucky I suppose. The problem we have here is though it is not a Scott Gomez situation, we have yet to see Grabo play consistently as the Leafs best fwd for his 4 years on the Leafs. Again if Kadri makes the step up this year, what do we do with Grabo? Play him as the highest paid #3C in the NHL? Not a good potential situation we have here.
If Kadri steps up there year he replaces Bozak as the number one centre. Bozak is a UFA after this season.

I don't understand the hate for the Grabo deal. He is a comparable player to Zajac, who just signed an eight-year contract for $46 million.

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EDDIE20*

I wouldn't bet the farm on either Perry or Getzlaf signing anywhere else but with Anaheim.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Why is everything about grabovski with you?
I'm talking about the contract of Grabovski, should we not given we are conversing on possible implications the Lupul deal has on the Leafs cap?

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
I wouldn't bet the farm on either Perry or Getzlaf signing anywhere else but with Anaheim.
Exactly. It's stupid to hog cap space in the off chance you can get both Perry or Getzlaf.

I can see Perry bolting...but not Getzlaf.

We have enough to sign one top UFA if it ever came to that.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:12 PM
RomanianLeafs

i like the deal, happy to have lupul here for the future..

RomanianLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

deal is risky but will be quite reasonable if he continues to produce

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

Quote:
I'm talking about the contract of Grabovski, should we not given we are conversing on possible implications the Lupul deal has on the Leafs cap?
I really don't think we have to worry about any contract the Leafs have.

If the Leafs were ever in a position to get two top UFA's, they wouldn't hesitate one bit to buy out two of Grabovski, Liles, Komisarek etc to make it happen.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cap. Getzlaf and Perry both leaving is just very unlikely.

Old
Erdinger

Getzlaf is going to be asking a lot as an UFA. Hair transplants aren't cheap.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bradbirtch
glg#FireCarlyle

good deal litle risky tho

bradbirtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Lupul was on pace for over ppg last year. Even if he regresses and produces and produces only 60 points, this is a steal of a deal for a pending UFA. I don't understand the hate for this contract. He and Kessel have some of the best chemistry in the NHL. What are the chances all that they showed last year just suddenly vaporizes and he turns into a big flop? Not very likely.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:15 PM
htpwn

Alright deal. I wouldn't call it a steal because of the element of risk involved but it has potential to become one if Lupul can stay healthy and continue to produce.

He's an integral part of this team and while many posters will hate to hear this, eventually we need to emerge from this rebuild and start retaining players. With Grabo's signing last year and this now, it looks like we are at that point. The 'rebuild' is, for all intents and purposes, over. Now we need to see if it will bear fruit.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
History has shown, since the salary cap era began, that this guys usually sign with their teams, or they are traded and sign with their new team. I'm trying to remember the last time players like Getzlaff and Perry ended up on the open market. Brad Richards comes to mind, but he was into his 30s at that point.

Old
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
History has shown, since the salary cap era began, that this guys usually sign with their teams, or they are traded and sign with their new team. I'm trying to remember the last time players like Getzlaff and Perry ended up on the open market. Brad Richards comes to mind, but he was into his 30s at that point.
Zach Parise, Ryan Suter? Just last year.

Old
Duke Silver
Truce?

May the irrational hatred of Joffrey Lupul begin.

Duke Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:17 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr TML View Post
Many players missing... Wheres Macarthur, Kostka, Bozak, Steckel etc.?
Neither are signed through next year.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:18 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Good deal! NO MORE LUPUL IN ANY MORE PROPOSALS!!! ESPECIALLY for LOU...

exactly where i thought numbers and years would be. OBV signing.

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:19 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Getzlaf is going to be asking a lot as an UFA. Hair transplants aren't cheap.
Getzlaf implied on HNIC last night he was fairly confident he would get a deal done with the Ducks.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Ricky Bobby

Good deal for both sides.

Term isn't to long.

Dollar figure is on par with about what he should be getting.

Most importantly is the limited NTC clause. This affords the team a lot of flexibility down the road.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Alright deal. I wouldn't call it a steal because of the element of risk involved but it has potential to become one if Lupul can stay healthy and continue to produce.

He's an integral part of this team and while many posters will hate to hear this, eventually we need to emerge from this rebuild and start retaining players. With Grabo's signing last year and this now, it looks like we are at that point. The 'rebuild' is, for all intents and purposes, over. Now we need to see if it will bear fruit.
I agree. I think this season (too bad it's not 82 games) represents the last year of the "rebuild" (whatever that really means). I think Nonis is going to use this season to evaluate the young players. That's why Kadri, Kostka, Komarov, Reimer and Scrivens are all going to play this year. Nonis is going to go with these guys (similar to what AA did with the Jays last season) and see what he has and re-evaluate in the summer.

The Leafs are well positioned to make some moves in the summer. They have cap space, they have their buy outs. The real key is if Reimer and Scrivens can do the job this year. They're both under contract for next year at great cap numbers. If they get the job done that gives the Leafs a lot of flexibility going forward (no need to spend big on a goalie).

Old
01-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
The increase for Kessel should come out in the wash with decrease for Phaneuf. No way DP gets $6.5M per in his next contract. If he does the Leafs should let him walk.
I fundamentally disagree. Dion, as the captain, will want to be paid as such. The Leafs, just like in the case for Lupul, see him as more than a leader on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
How do you figure, don`t they still have like 17 or 18 mill in space, 8 spots left to fill or something. We also have amnesty buy outs. If they both decided to come here we could probably make room. Komi and Liles bought out, pay Getz and Perry 7.5 each, we could still do it. If we deal for Luongo, we can offer Grabovski if we had Getz and Perry. Not saying any of this would happen, I doubt Getz or Perry come here but it`s doable to add both AND get Lu if the possibility came up.

Either way, you cant go into an offseason banking on UFA`s coming here.
Perry, Getzalf, Kessel (re-signed), Phaneuf (re-signed), Lupul, Grabovski, and a #1 goaltender, do not work under the new CBA at a manageable level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
I don't understand the hate for the Grabo deal. He is a comparable player to Zajac, who just signed an eight-year contract for $46 million.
Zajac has chemistry with New Jersey's best line player, Grabovski does not. If Grabovski clicked with Kessel, his contract would eliminate the need for a #1 center.

I would rather re-sign Bozak and trade Grabovski for a nice package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Exactly. It's stupid to hog cap space in the off chance you can get both Perry or Getzlaf.

I can see Perry bolting...but not Getzlaf.

We have enough to sign one top UFA if it ever came to that.
This entire team still spells mediocre with no available upgrade. That is the big picture that you are missing. Delegating valuable cap to good, but not great players, says that.

Quote:
People just do not like to admit that it's a bad contract, so they avoid the conversation.

Last edited by Epictetus: 01-20-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Do not know why I said Luongo
Epictetus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Ok term, ok money.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
May the irrational hatred of Joffrey Lupul begin.
Yup. Tbh, I think it would be better if they didnt release the details on contracts.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:23 PM
BlueBaron

5.25 seems a tiny bit high but not the end of the world so long as he stays healthy. I like Lupul, glad to see he is sticking around.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:24 PM
thewave

Looks like you are starting to see who they consider the core form.

K G L

Could be worse could be better but a start. I have a feeling grabs may be traded though. To Detroit with Franson.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:24 PM
LEAFSIN4

I personally would have traded Lupul but I'm not too mad about this contract. He got a raise for being a better player now than he was when he signed his last contract, and he seems to love being here... always need players like that.

This contract only leaves room for 1 major free agency signing over the next 2 years. Our biggest hole is at 1C and I'm assuming the money is going to go to a player who can fill that role.

Also, I would think twice about re-signing Phaneuf. I would trade him in a package for a number 1 centre, should there become one available. I would let Reilly and Gardiner take over as our offensive defensemen, while signing a proven stay at home dman.

i.e.

Phaneuf + Bozak

for

Stastny

sign Scuderi or Ference

Lupul - Stastny - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin
Komarov - Kadri - Frattin
? - McClement - Brown

Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Reilly - Scuderi
Liles - Holzer

Finn, Kostka, Percy could all step in if needed.

We would still have enough cap space to sign an impact player (veteran winger or goalie if Reimer/Scrivens don't pan out)

LEAFSIN4 is offline   Reply With Quote