HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

vCash: 500
i have a hard time believing there are 12 more competent forwards than matteau in the system right now. that's probably more of a bad thing than good, but it's the truth. i think unless he's invisible the next 4 games, there's a good chance he sticks.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Basement Cat
Frank Drebin

So I watched the replay of the game and am pretty happy about most things. What I don't like is Kovy getting 24+. We all know that he can handle it because he keeps himself in the best shape in the league, or up there, but we can't afford to have him injured at any point and its bound to happen if he keeps playing so much. 21ish is a good amount for him.

We also need to find a way to get Larsson in there with Harrold as the #7. This means dealing a D (Tallinder hopefully) and maybe a pick or mid level prospect for a Poni-type acquisition. I don't mean his size and style of play literally but a guy that could be effective on the 3rd line. Then with Henrique back, we can have a very impressive lineup that could make another run...

Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Tedenby-Josefson-*Trade
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Old
01-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
If he's playing in a third line role and being successful at it, it's not wasting.

I have a hard time thinking he'd be here at all if Lou and Pete weren't serious about keeping him around.
If he's playing that role successfully, he definitely has a shot to stay. I think a lot of it will come down to whether the team feels there is anyone else who can step in that role and be just as successful though. Lets not forget, the lines in that scenario a post before still goes under our assumption of 8 D-Men. Unless Lou is thinking of making a move and unloading one of those guys closer to the trade deadline instead of in the first month or so, that may be the means to find someone else for that role (be it trade, or dropping someone else down to the spot). I think there's a really good shot Matteau just goes back anyway, even if he is doing a solid job in the role. Now if he just goes off and tears it up the next 4 games, especially in terms of putting up points, then maybe he'll be here regardless. I just can't see him staying the full year in that role given how our roster is looking and may be changing during the year.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
So I watched the replay of the game and am pretty happy about most things. What I don't like is Kovy getting 24+. We all know that he can handle it because he keeps himself in the best shape in the league, or up there, but we can't afford to have him injured at any point and its bound to happen if he keeps playing so much. 21ish is a good amount for him.
That may only be a temporary thing for all we know. It may not be a regular thing for Kovy to play 24+ minutes, but maybe that was the case because he's one of the guys on the team who has been playing games all year and you know he should be in better shape than most of the other guys. The numbers might level off a bit as everyone else gets back in game shape (guys who played in Albany not included of course). I guess you could also attribute it to game situation and depth as well. It was a tie game for the first 34 or so minutes, and then was a 1 goal game almost the entire way after that. We needed to keep the skill players on the ice when possible. And maybe when Henrique is back and/or we make a trade, there may be enough offensive depth to hold his minutes back a bit. For now its no big deal, but if this becomes a trend I may agree with you on it.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Basement Cat
Frank Drebin

I can live with him playing this much on most nights because he's proven that he can do it in years past and has been able to remain relatively healthy. I am fairly confident that he can go 23+ a night and be effective and not get injured but there's just a part of me that realizes that the odds are that he is bound to pick up a knock sometime and in all likelihood will try to play through it since he's that kind of player and that will negatively impact his play.

I agree with what you said about how the situation called for it last night. It will be like that for nearly every game.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
That may only be a temporary thing for all we know. It may not be a regular thing for Kovy to play 24+ minutes, but maybe that was the case because he's one of the guys on the team who has been playing games all year and you know he should be in better shape than most of the other guys. The numbers might level off a bit as everyone else gets back in game shape (guys who played in Albany not included of course). I guess you could also attribute it to game situation and depth as well. It was a tie game for the first 34 or so minutes, and then was a 1 goal game almost the entire way after that. We needed to keep the skill players on the ice when possible. And maybe when Henrique is back and/or we make a trade, there may be enough offensive depth to hold his minutes back a bit. For now its no big deal, but if this becomes a trend I may agree with you on it.
4 of those 24 were on the PP. So I'm not concerned

Old
01-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
i have a hard time believing there are 12 more competent forwards than matteau in the system right now. that's probably more of a bad thing than good, but it's the truth. i think unless he's invisible the next 4 games, there's a good chance he sticks.
Probably right on the first count. I don't see him here though after the 5 game mark.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Zippy316

Matteau just buys Lou time so he doesn't have to make a desperation move until Henrique gets back.

Henrique will probably be back within a week of the 5th game, I would believe. If not, than Lou can use this time to work on a deal for another forward or sign Darche.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:08 AM
GM17*

When Henrique is back Josefson will surely be out

Old
01-20-2013, 11:09 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
matteau did look pretty good. not out of place at all for the most part. i honestly wouldnt be surprised if he stuck even considering henrique returning and the inevitable trade for a forward. im not expecting him to stay, but hes doing the right things thus far. couldnt ask for more.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:09 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
u shut ur wh0re fish mouth salmon queen!

Old
01-20-2013, 11:16 AM
DerekDevils30

Quote:
I hope not.

Old
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
If he's playing in a third line role and being successful at it, it's not wasting.

I have a hard time thinking he'd be here at all if Lou and Pete weren't serious about keeping him around.
It is taking a risk with him though. We can't be sure he is ready from just one game. I don't want to stunt him like Zubrus, and I definitely don't want him to become the next Nino Niederreiter.

Old
Zippy316

If that Tedenby-Elias-Clarkson line does good, I'd be curious to see if they keep it together, because if they keep Matteau as well and move Henrique to LW, we could ice a:

Henrique-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Tedenby-Elias-Clarkson
Matteau-Josefson-Zubrus
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I like the look of that line-up.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Exactly, Butler was lighting it up in Albany but was not good enough to make the team according to Lou.
That can be a BS, but I agree with everything apice said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
It is taking a risk with him though. We can't be sure he is ready from just one game. I don't want to stunt him like Zubrus, and I definitely don't want him to become the next Nino Niederreiter.
Yeah, I`d still rather see him back in BB. He`ll be extremely motivated, more experienced, smarter. Let him come back next year.

There`s a lot to like about him, but I`d rather play it safe with him.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:43 AM
jjp24Devils
Captain Sal

Quote:
Yup, I definitely agree, although 5 games isn't really enough to determine whether or not he is ready either. I don't really think we'll have to worry about him becoming the next Niederreiter but you never know.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:51 AM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

vCash: 533
Josefson was brilliant on the PK

Old
01-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

there is no reason Jo should sit. at all.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Devil X

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Nah, Patty will move to LW and Henrique will slot as the center to that line.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
there is no reason Jo should sit. at all.
I think he was making a joke about Josefson's fragile health, not saying he should sit.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:13 PM
RNCDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
If that Tedenby-Elias-Clarkson line does good, I'd be curious to see if they keep it together, because if they keep Matteau as well and move Henrique to LW, we could ice a:

Henrique-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Tedenby-Elias-Clarkson
Matteau-Josefson-Zubrus
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I like the look of that line-up.
Henrique is going to be a center. I think it goes:

Elias - Zajac - Kovy
Tedenby - Henrique - Zubrus
Butler - Josefson - Clarkson
Carter - Gio - Bernier

Yeah, I think Butler makes it back up after Matteau's cup of coffee.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:20 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Elias & Kovy have great chemistry, and if everyone plays to their potential... that's an alright lineup.

I'm having my doubts about Tedenby & Henrique on a line together, though.

Still rather get a trade in so that Butler can be ready and waiting to come up when the inevitable injury happens.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Buggsy

Pete was quoted as saying Henrique and Elias will play together, just like Kovy and Zajac, no?

Old
01-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I'd rather keep Tedenby with Patty and Henrique. Elias can look after the kids. Keep Zubrus with Zajac and Kovy. If Matteau sticks, put him with Yayo and Clarkson on the third line, if he doesn't, Butler takes the spot instead. Roll CBGB as the fourth line and we're golden.

So that's:

Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Tedenby-Elias-Henrique
Matteau/Butler-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I'm comfortable with that until Lou makes a trade.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:39 PM
DevilChuk*

Quote:
I'd rather keep Tedenby with Patty and Henrique. Elias can look after the kids. Keep Zubrus with Zajac and Kovy. If Matteau sticks, put him with Yayo and Clarkson on the third line, if he doesn't, Butler takes the spot instead. Roll CBGB as the fourth line and we're golden.

So that's:

Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Tedenby-Elias-Henrique
Matteau/Butler-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I'm comfortable with that until Lou makes a trade.
I like Ted-Elias-Clarkson, they got better as the game went on last night. Good mix of talent on that line (dangler, play maker, grinder) Not sure how you can keep them together though without dropping Henrique to third line (or putting him on LW on line 1).

Still not in love with Zubrus on the 1st line since I felt he couldn't quite keep up with Zajac and Kovy but only one game in.

Closed Thread