HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part III)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 10:09 AM
  #676
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 13,276
vCash: 500
i have a hard time believing there are 12 more competent forwards than matteau in the system right now. that's probably more of a bad thing than good, but it's the truth. i think unless he's invisible the next 4 games, there's a good chance he sticks.

Rhodes 81 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:12 AM
  #677
Basement Cat
Frank Drebin
 
Basement Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA!!!
Country: Poland
Posts: 11,492
vCash: 500
So I watched the replay of the game and am pretty happy about most things. What I don't like is Kovy getting 24+. We all know that he can handle it because he keeps himself in the best shape in the league, or up there, but we can't afford to have him injured at any point and its bound to happen if he keeps playing so much. 21ish is a good amount for him.

We also need to find a way to get Larsson in there with Harrold as the #7. This means dealing a D (Tallinder hopefully) and maybe a pick or mid level prospect for a Poni-type acquisition. I don't mean his size and style of play literally but a guy that could be effective on the 3rd line. Then with Henrique back, we can have a very impressive lineup that could make another run...

Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Tedenby-Josefson-*Trade
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Basement Cat is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:13 AM
  #678
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
If he's playing in a third line role and being successful at it, it's not wasting.

I have a hard time thinking he'd be here at all if Lou and Pete weren't serious about keeping him around.
If he's playing that role successfully, he definitely has a shot to stay. I think a lot of it will come down to whether the team feels there is anyone else who can step in that role and be just as successful though. Lets not forget, the lines in that scenario a post before still goes under our assumption of 8 D-Men. Unless Lou is thinking of making a move and unloading one of those guys closer to the trade deadline instead of in the first month or so, that may be the means to find someone else for that role (be it trade, or dropping someone else down to the spot). I think there's a really good shot Matteau just goes back anyway, even if he is doing a solid job in the role. Now if he just goes off and tears it up the next 4 games, especially in terms of putting up points, then maybe he'll be here regardless. I just can't see him staying the full year in that role given how our roster is looking and may be changing during the year.

Scott04 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:18 AM
  #679
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
So I watched the replay of the game and am pretty happy about most things. What I don't like is Kovy getting 24+. We all know that he can handle it because he keeps himself in the best shape in the league, or up there, but we can't afford to have him injured at any point and its bound to happen if he keeps playing so much. 21ish is a good amount for him.
That may only be a temporary thing for all we know. It may not be a regular thing for Kovy to play 24+ minutes, but maybe that was the case because he's one of the guys on the team who has been playing games all year and you know he should be in better shape than most of the other guys. The numbers might level off a bit as everyone else gets back in game shape (guys who played in Albany not included of course). I guess you could also attribute it to game situation and depth as well. It was a tie game for the first 34 or so minutes, and then was a 1 goal game almost the entire way after that. We needed to keep the skill players on the ice when possible. And maybe when Henrique is back and/or we make a trade, there may be enough offensive depth to hold his minutes back a bit. For now its no big deal, but if this becomes a trend I may agree with you on it.

Scott04 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
  #680
Basement Cat
Frank Drebin
 
Basement Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA!!!
Country: Poland
Posts: 11,492
vCash: 500
I can live with him playing this much on most nights because he's proven that he can do it in years past and has been able to remain relatively healthy. I am fairly confident that he can go 23+ a night and be effective and not get injured but there's just a part of me that realizes that the odds are that he is bound to pick up a knock sometime and in all likelihood will try to play through it since he's that kind of player and that will negatively impact his play.

I agree with what you said about how the situation called for it last night. It will be like that for nearly every game.

Basement Cat is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:38 AM
  #681
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
That may only be a temporary thing for all we know. It may not be a regular thing for Kovy to play 24+ minutes, but maybe that was the case because he's one of the guys on the team who has been playing games all year and you know he should be in better shape than most of the other guys. The numbers might level off a bit as everyone else gets back in game shape (guys who played in Albany not included of course). I guess you could also attribute it to game situation and depth as well. It was a tie game for the first 34 or so minutes, and then was a 1 goal game almost the entire way after that. We needed to keep the skill players on the ice when possible. And maybe when Henrique is back and/or we make a trade, there may be enough offensive depth to hold his minutes back a bit. For now its no big deal, but if this becomes a trend I may agree with you on it.
4 of those 24 were on the PP. So I'm not concerned

Zippy316 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:50 AM
  #682
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta
 
Traitor Zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
i have a hard time believing there are 12 more competent forwards than matteau in the system right now. that's probably more of a bad thing than good, but it's the truth. i think unless he's invisible the next 4 games, there's a good chance he sticks.
Probably right on the first count. I don't see him here though after the 5 game mark.

Traitor Zach is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:05 AM
  #683
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,492
vCash: 500
Matteau just buys Lou time so he doesn't have to make a desperation move until Henrique gets back.

Henrique will probably be back within a week of the 5th game, I would believe. If not, than Lou can use this time to work on a deal for another forward or sign Darche.

Zippy316 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:08 AM
  #684
GM17*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,937
vCash: 500
When Henrique is back Josefson will surely be out

GM17* is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:09 AM
  #685
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks
 
åboriginal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LV-426
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,131
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
matteau did look pretty good. not out of place at all for the most part. i honestly wouldnt be surprised if he stuck even considering henrique returning and the inevitable trade for a forward. im not expecting him to stay, but hes doing the right things thus far. couldnt ask for more.

åboriginal is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:09 AM
  #686
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks
 
åboriginal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LV-426
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,131
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
When Henrique is back Josefson will surely be out
u shut ur wh0re fish mouth salmon queen!

åboriginal is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:16 AM
  #687
DerekDevils30
Registered User
 
DerekDevils30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
When Henrique is back Josefson will surely be out
I hope not.

DerekDevils30 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:16 AM
  #688
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
If he's playing in a third line role and being successful at it, it's not wasting.

I have a hard time thinking he'd be here at all if Lou and Pete weren't serious about keeping him around.
It is taking a risk with him though. We can't be sure he is ready from just one game. I don't want to stunt him like Zubrus, and I definitely don't want him to become the next Nino Niederreiter.

Saugus is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:16 AM
  #689
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,492
vCash: 500
If that Tedenby-Elias-Clarkson line does good, I'd be curious to see if they keep it together, because if they keep Matteau as well and move Henrique to LW, we could ice a:

Henrique-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Tedenby-Elias-Clarkson
Matteau-Josefson-Zubrus
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I like the look of that line-up.

Zippy316 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:21 AM
  #690
Getzo5
The Punisher
 
Getzo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Presov, SVK
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 21,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Exactly, Butler was lighting it up in Albany but was not good enough to make the team according to Lou.
That can be a BS, but I agree with everything apice said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
It is taking a risk with him though. We can't be sure he is ready from just one game. I don't want to stunt him like Zubrus, and I definitely don't want him to become the next Nino Niederreiter.
Yeah, I`d still rather see him back in BB. He`ll be extremely motivated, more experienced, smarter. Let him come back next year.

There`s a lot to like about him, but I`d rather play it safe with him.

Getzo5 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:43 AM
  #691
jjp24Devils
Captain Sal
 
jjp24Devils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
It is taking a risk with him though. We can't be sure he is ready from just one game. I don't want to stunt him like Zubrus, and I definitely don't want him to become the next Nino Niederreiter.
Yup, I definitely agree, although 5 games isn't really enough to determine whether or not he is ready either. I don't really think we'll have to worry about him becoming the next Niederreiter but you never know.

jjp24Devils is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:51 AM
  #692
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!
 
EliasR8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 14,830
vCash: 533
Josefson was brilliant on the PK

EliasR8 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:53 AM
  #693
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA/NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 46,081
vCash: 500
there is no reason Jo should sit. at all.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:05 PM
  #694
Devil X
Registered User
 
Devil X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bergen County
Country: United States
Posts: 4,017
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
When Henrique is back Josefson will surely be out
Nah, Patty will move to LW and Henrique will slot as the center to that line.

Devil X is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:12 PM
  #695
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
there is no reason Jo should sit. at all.
I think he was making a joke about Josefson's fragile health, not saying he should sit.

Saugus is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:13 PM
  #696
RNCDevil
Registered User
 
RNCDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
If that Tedenby-Elias-Clarkson line does good, I'd be curious to see if they keep it together, because if they keep Matteau as well and move Henrique to LW, we could ice a:

Henrique-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Tedenby-Elias-Clarkson
Matteau-Josefson-Zubrus
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I like the look of that line-up.
Henrique is going to be a center. I think it goes:

Elias - Zajac - Kovy
Tedenby - Henrique - Zubrus
Butler - Josefson - Clarkson
Carter - Gio - Bernier

Yeah, I think Butler makes it back up after Matteau's cup of coffee.

RNCDevil is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:20 PM
  #697
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,098
vCash: 500
Elias & Kovy have great chemistry, and if everyone plays to their potential... that's an alright lineup.

I'm having my doubts about Tedenby & Henrique on a line together, though.

Still rather get a trade in so that Butler can be ready and waiting to come up when the inevitable injury happens.

manilaNJ is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:22 PM
  #698
Buggsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
Pete was quoted as saying Henrique and Elias will play together, just like Kovy and Zajac, no?

Buggsy is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:23 PM
  #699
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I'd rather keep Tedenby with Patty and Henrique. Elias can look after the kids. Keep Zubrus with Zajac and Kovy. If Matteau sticks, put him with Yayo and Clarkson on the third line, if he doesn't, Butler takes the spot instead. Roll CBGB as the fourth line and we're golden.

So that's:

Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Tedenby-Elias-Henrique
Matteau/Butler-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I'm comfortable with that until Lou makes a trade.

Saugus is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:39 PM
  #700
DevilChuk*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'd rather keep Tedenby with Patty and Henrique. Elias can look after the kids. Keep Zubrus with Zajac and Kovy. If Matteau sticks, put him with Yayo and Clarkson on the third line, if he doesn't, Butler takes the spot instead. Roll CBGB as the fourth line and we're golden.

So that's:

Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Tedenby-Elias-Henrique
Matteau/Butler-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I'm comfortable with that until Lou makes a trade.
I like Ted-Elias-Clarkson, they got better as the game went on last night. Good mix of talent on that line (dangler, play maker, grinder) Not sure how you can keep them together though without dropping Henrique to third line (or putting him on LW on line 1).

Still not in love with Zubrus on the 1st line since I felt he couldn't quite keep up with Zajac and Kovy but only one game in.

DevilChuk* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.