HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul extended - 5 years x 5.25m

Old
01-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Longshot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Zach Parise, Ryan Suter? Just last year.
Good point. Nashville was hemmed in by the Weber situation (couldn't keep both) and New Jersey, well they were hemmed in by the Kovalchuk deal.

However, I don't see either of those players in the same neighbourhood as Getzlaff and Perry, which I admit is debatable - considering Perry and Getzlaff's numbers from last season.

Getzlaff, when healthy, is a big strong power centre. The kind of player ever team in the league wants.

Perry was the MVP a few years ago and is a young stud winger.

Longshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Luongo, Perry, Getzalf, Kessel (re-signed), Phaneuf (re-signed), Lupul, Grabovski, and a #1 goaltender, do not work under the new CBA
It's why you draft your own players and never, never trade a pick or prospect, unless it is your year to try win it all.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fabs

When did the Leafs become such a good team and desirable place to play that we can sit and wait while our 2nd best player offensively from last season wants to resign?

It's a good length at a good amount even if he only averages 60 points a season for us.

Fabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Dreakmur

If you're paying more than 5 million for a player, you better make sure he's worth sacrificing in another area of your line-up. Is Lupul good enough to do that?

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
True but let's say we get that 1st line C , he'll probably cost at least 6 mil and that leaves us only 15 mil to sign 9 players which avgs out to about 1.5 mil per player .

I don't hate the contract i just don't understand what the rush was .
15 million to sign 9 depth guys basically. We'd have lupul - 6 Mill centre - Kessel, Kuli- Grabo - JVR. So you're looking at bottom 6 guys and a bottom pairing on defence.

Also gotta consider that basically every competitive team in the league is facing a cap crunch. The cap went down 6 million for everyone, if you look at teams like Vancouver, they REALLY have problems

Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:27 PM
mapleleaf979

I dont like the term or the money dished out. GRabovski, Liles and Lupul, I like all 3 but they are over paid. Grabovski is extremely inconsistent.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

Woa, let's hope he will be worth it.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Anthrax442

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs21 View Post
15 million to sign 9 depth guys basically. We'd have lupul - 6 Mill centre - Kessel, Kuli- Grabo - JVR. So you're looking at bottom 6 guys and a bottom pairing on defence.

Also gotta consider that basically every competitive team in the league is facing a cap crunch. The cap went down 6 million for everyone, if you look at teams like Vancouver, they REALLY have problems
New York too.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Erdinger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs21 View Post

Exactly why the Leafs shouldn't be giving them anything like Gillis is asking to help them out.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Exactly why the Leafs shouldn't be giving them anything like Gillis is asking to help them out.
Well put. Gillis is living in a dream world. He wants some top notch young talent for a player he will have no choice but to buy out this coming summer.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
Good point. Nashville was hemmed in by the Weber situation (couldn't keep both) and New Jersey, well they were hemmed in by the Kovalchuk deal.

However, I don't see either of those players in the same neighbourhood as Getzlaff and Perry, which I admit is debatable - considering Perry and Getzlaff's numbers from last season.

Getzlaff, when healthy, is a big strong power centre. The kind of player ever team in the league wants.

Perry was the MVP a few years ago and is a young stud winger.
Parise isn't a young stud winger?

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:31 PM
ITM
As Long As It Takes

Love the move.

Lupul was flirting with a Top 10, certainly Top 15 scoring place...Lupul at that hit for what he brings on the ice, in the room, to the franchise is an appropriate contract.

Key step in locking up Kessel as well.

Under the new CBA, someone mentioned we can't fit all of our guys plus Luongo under the cap. Solution: DON'T TRADE FOR LUONGO.

The club played a paint dry entertaining kind of hockey last night, but we won with pieces that were rumoured to be the price for Luongo: Kadri, Bozak, Scrivens.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Parise isn't a young stud winger?
Where did I say he isn't a young stud winger?

I said I don't see him in the same neighbourhood as those two players. Which, I admitted is debatable.

If I had a choice between the two I would take Perry.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:32 PM
LEAFSIN4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Luongo, Perry, Getzalf, Kessel (re-signed), Phaneuf (re-signed), Lupul, Grabovski, and a #1 goaltender, do not work under the new CBA at a manageable level.

This entire team still spells mediocre with no available upgrade. That is the big picture that you are missing. Delegating valuable cap to good, but not great players, says that.
Not that I'm saying that core would work financially, but Luongo's not a number 1 goalie?

And the big picture that you are missing is that we are BUILDING a team. We are locking up our core, filling our pipeline with skilled prospects and role players, while leaving enough cap space to sign/trade for an impact player. This is how teams with long term success are BUILT.

I look at Kadri as the first prospect under this regime. He has JUST been given a chance. Wait until the rest of our players start to make their way up... these good young players with cheap contracts give us flexibility down the road so once our team is BUILT we can trade for an "upgrade" or simply sign one with our available cap space. This new NHL is all about being prepared for any opportunity, and after this season the Leafs will be in a better position than over half the league.

LEAFSIN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Bill Derlago

Even though Burke is gone, the Leafs are still under the same management - loyal to a fault.

I guess we can expect a long-term deal for Clarke MacArthur next.

Bill Derlago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:33 PM
JEIannicello

I think it was a mistake to sign him this early. We'll see if he can maintain his health and production.

JEIannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Derlago View Post
Even though Burke is gone, the Leafs are still under the same management - loyal to a fault.

So we shouldn't re-sign our good players just because a previous GM brought him in?

NazemKadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleafsfan View Post

i.e.

Phaneuf + Bozak

for

Stastny

sign Scuderi or Ference

Lupul - Stastny - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin
Komarov - Kadri - Frattin
? - McClement - Brown

Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Reilly - Scuderi
Liles - Holzer
LOL at Phaneuf and Bozak for Stastny..... he barely outscored bozak who played less games last season. Good player but def not worth those two players

NazemKadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Good deal for both sides.

Term isn't to long.

Dollar figure is on par with about what he should be getting.

Most importantly is the limited NTC clause. This affords the team a lot of flexibility down the road.
I agree it's a contract that remains tradeable through out it's length pending no huge drop in play which is a risk on any contract signed for any player....

What's with this Getzlaf, Perry talk that this signing effects the chance of signing them if they hit UFA? We don't even know if both, one or either hit the open market this conversation seems to be way too far in the future to bank on if your Nonis, further more Lupul is a core piece important to have in insulating what will be youth coming up the ranks. If either of those guys even do sign with the Leafs what's stopping them from making trades to fit both or one under the cap? WE DON'T HAVE A LUONGO TYPE CONTRACT let alone multiple ones that have teams like Vancouver cap strapped in the off season. I guess we could say "thank you Burke" for that.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
Love the move.

Lupul was flirting with a Top 10, certainly Top 15 scoring place...Lupul at that hit for what he brings on the ice, in the room, to the franchise is an appropriate contract.

Key step in locking up Kessel as well.

Under the new CBA, someone mentioned we can't fit all of our guys plus Luongo under the cap. Solution: DON'T TRADE FOR LUONGO.

The club played a paint dry entertaining kind of hockey last night, but we won with pieces that were rumoured to be the price for Luongo: Kadri, Bozak, Scrivens.
Agree. Agree. Agree. Luongo is a 34-year-old goalie with a ten year contract.

I would rather take my chances finding a goalie currently on the roster or in the system and invest the Luongo money in another player.

We all should be praying for Reimer and Scrivens to get the job done this year. If they play well, Luongo isn't even a conversation for the Leafs.

Old
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Derlago View Post

I hope not, Id like to see the GRabo, Kulemin , Macarthur line dismantled and shipped out of town. From night to night its very difficult to know what your going to get from that line.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Budsfan

It was pretty well a foregone conclusion, he would re-sign, after being named Alternate Captain last night and taking over Lukes Troops, to become Lupes Troops, he is definitely a core player going forward and I guess that's why the good contract and the timing of it.

Budsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:36 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I think it was a mistake to sign him this early. We'll see if he can maintain his health and production.
Agreed!

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:37 PM
TML g u n n e R s*

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I hope not, Id like to see the GRabo, Kulemin , Macarthur line dismantled and shipped out of town. From night to night its very difficult to know what your going to get from that line.
1 game and you post some **** like this..

kulie had the most ice time as a FWD last night btw

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Hyperglide

Grabbo was overpaid. Lupul isn't. Good contract. Right around what I thought it would be.

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote