HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This team will not succeed as long as David Desharnais is a top 6 center.

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 11:21 AM
LeMAD

vCash: 500
The old Koivu debate again: It's the fault of our few good players if we suck, and not the fact we have only two wingers good enough to be playing on the top two-lines, and that we have the worst defense in the league.

Desharnais is fine, and so are Plekanec, Paccioretty, Cole, Subban, Gorges, Moen, and maybe Markov.

But the rest of the team are spare parts.

And you guys are delusional if you believe that players like Collberg, Bozon and Kristo will become better than Desharnais one day, let alone in the next few years (Not that it's impossible, but it's highly unlikely).

Old
01-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Montreal4Life

vCash: 3978
Hmmmm, I wonder how long you were waiting to post this thread Could not do it last year cause he was one of our best players, so you waited for the first game of a shortened season (with only 1 week to reconnect with his linemates) where he and the rest of the team played like a$$ Well played sir, the best way for you to get your point across!

Old
01-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Andros777

Desharnais is not what is holding this team back. If you switched Desharnais with Getzlaf this team probably still wouldn't make the playoffs. The thread title is way over the top.

And with regards to Eller, anyone who actually WATCHES the games can see for himself that those few inches that Eller has on Desharnais do not enable him to produce one tithe the offense that Desharnais has.

Frankly I would rather keep Eller on the third line and trade Plekanec, since it looks like we're going to be a pretty poor team over the long haul anyway.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:23 AM
gusfring

I agree with the OP.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Undertakerqc

Desharnais and Plekanec need to be gone if we hope to be a cup contender at some point. Galchenyuk will replace one of them, we need another top two center. If we tank good enought this year we might have the opportunity to have that second one.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Desharnais and Plekanec need to be gone if we hope to be a cup contender at some point. Galchenyuk will replace one of them, we need another top two center. If we tank good enought this year we might have the opportunity to have that second one.
Plekanec is fine Patofqc

Old
01-20-2013, 11:39 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Not that I'm against trading veterans to rebuild IF WE GET A GOOD RETURN FOR THEM, because we're not even close of having a good team, but Plekanec and Desharnais won't be magically replaced if we trade them. Not short term, but not in the long run either. Trading Cole and Gionta would certainly make sense, but Plekanec and Desharnais aren't old. And in five years we will need them if we're a good enough team to be contenders for the cup.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:41 AM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

It's time to fully commit to the rebuild. Get rid of the money guys Plekanec, Cole, Gionta.

Purge and get prospects, sign transition guys to build a new culture so you don't rush the prospects.

Worked for Chicago and its working for florida.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:53 AM
jwolf

I sincerely hope this thread is not predicated on last night's game. With the exception of maybe Gionta, our entire top 6 had no flow or rhythm at all! To say nothing of Kaberle and co. on the back end (that PP was an embarrassment!)

Longterm, however, I'm inclined to agree with you... sort of. Goes without saying we're too small down the middle. Neither DD nor Pleky will make anyone shake in their boots. Only problem is - no one else is ready to take those spots.

We're still rebuilding, folks! MB needs a little time to maneuver and we need to give players like Galchenyuk, Beaulieu and Tinordi time to develop. Gal will be pushing one of DD or Plek out soon enough while our D gets younger and bigger.

Patience!

Old
01-20-2013, 11:56 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Wow.

He's the only forward on this team who's actually creating offensive plays and who's unpredictable for the other team's defense. And some people want to get rid of him???

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 01-20-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Language debate
Old
01-20-2013, 11:58 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Eeesh...Peladeau.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:05 PM
MasterD

Mostly agree, and actually always agreed. He's a fine player for now, because we have no one better to take his and/or Plekanec's place. But you can't have both of then on the 2 first lines and win it all...

The only way I could see this work is if he's on the 2nd line, and Plekanec is traded (packaged) to get a better winger. I find Plekanec to be overpaid for what he brings. I'd love something like Plekanec + Beaulieu for Perry (signed).

Old
01-20-2013, 12:07 PM
MasterD

Agreed, but I'd probably keep Cole. 4.5m for what he brings isn't bad, and that's what he is to me, transition guy... maybe trade him after next season if someone can take his place, but for now he's not a problem to me.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Et le But

I really don't understand the Desharnais vs Plekanec talk. They play completely different roles. One is a two way player and a special teams wizard, one is purely a playmaker.

I still think DD is destined to play on the wings. We need all the skill we can get and Desharnais will be easier to use in an entirely offensive role on the wings.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:14 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
We played 1 game.. with a new coach and a new system missing our #1 D. Can we please relax?
Wrong the #1 D is ou saviour Markov who is 10x the player Subban is. Or so I am lead to believe....

Old
01-20-2013, 12:24 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

People really need to chillax. No one is saying that DD is a crappy player. This whole thread is about him not being our long term solution as a top 6 center. There is nothing wrong DD as a player, he has skill, vision, and effort. Everyone wants that. He is, however, not ideally what "most" successful teams have at center. Look at all the small successful winning wingers over the years, especially those of the Gionta and St. Louis ilk.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:26 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I agree. Problem is there are no other options. Eller has not stepped up and Pleks is not a 1st line center.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:31 PM
DAChampion

Eller is severely underrated on these boards.

Last year, he scored 16 goals playing:

- with horrible linemates like Rene Bourque;
- with no PP time;
- with very limited ES time;
- starting the season on the 4th line;
- playing against very tough opposition, substantially tougher than Desharnais;
- starting with disproportionate defensive zone faceoffs;

Wow, Eller sucks !!!!

Old
01-20-2013, 12:32 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I agree. Problem is there are no other options. Eller has not stepped up and Pleks is not a 1st line center.
Not saying you are wrong, but, Eller has not ever been given the chance to step up. He has never had much responsibility placed on his shoulders by any of his coaches to this point.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Eller is severely underrated on these boards.

Last year, he scored 16 goals playing:

- with horrible linemates like Rene Bourque,
- with no PP time, playing
- with very limited ES time and
- starting the season on the 4th line
- playing against very tough opposition, substantially tougher than Desharnais
- starting with disproportionate defensive zone faceoffs.

Wow, Eller sucks !!!!
Apparently on the 3rd line you are supposed to put up 50 points (something only Jordan Staal has consistently done) or you have no offensive upside...but this is the same forum where Plekanec is overpaid for putting up 60 points playing heavy defensive minutes and Subban deserves no more than 4M a year.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Sorry, pointless thread to me. Habs would be a more successful team if they had better players. Really? Wow. There is lots of room for improvement, some elements will come along at different speeds, and management will always be looking to get better, so whether we're talking DD, or wingers who can score, or defense, or whatever, you could have several threads along the lines of "this team will not succeed as long as ______", basically. All except for goal. At least there is Carey Price.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

just so you guys know, dd > plekanec. Pleky cant even make a damn accurate pass to save his life. I honestly think we need to play him on the 3rd line to play against the other team's best line with some pp time. Give the young guys some ice time (galchenyuk, eller).

Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Gionta (galchenyuk and dd only 2 players on that roster that can make plays with the puck)
Pacioretty - Eller - Cole
Moen - Plekanec - Bourque

If we want to play Galchenyuk with plekanec and gionta, better send hiim to the ohl.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:50 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally94 View Post
just so you guys know, dd > plekanec. Pleky cant even make a damn accurate pass to save his life. I honestly think we need to play him on the 3rd line to play against the other team's best line with some pp time. Give the young guys some ice time (galchenyuk, eller).

Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Gionta (galchenyuk and dd only 2 players on that roster that can make plays with the puck)
Pacioretty - Eller - Cole
Moen - Plekanec - Bourque

If we want to play Galchenyuk with plekanec and gionta, better send hiim to the ohl.
You obviously forgot the

Old
01-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Captain Saku

If Galchenyuk is to stay with the team, I think Desharnais should play with him and Cole, and move Pacioretty with Plekanec and Gionta.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:06 PM
SnapVirus

I havent read the thread because the title was horrible.

But I wanted to share my 2 cents.

DD was the best player BY FAR on his line yesterday night.

Closed Thread