Old
01-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
What an idiot.
Lol, you hate Novak so it's not surprising you consider that as an idiotic move.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:17 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Lol, you hate Novak so it's not surprising you consider that as an idiotic move.
Every time he does something to make me consider liking him he does something like that. It is a slap in the face to Stan, it wasn't even in the quarters, semis or final.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Hey, the guy just won a match after five hours. Give him some leeway.

I was thinking about that Murray-Wawrinka classic at Wimbledon some years ago before this match, and I was hoping this one wasn't similar to that. Oh well, poor Stan.. played so well (apparently) yet he still lost.

Nole-Berdych will be quite interesting. I never know what to expect from Tomas. He either comes out firing and playing unbelievable tennis, or it's a full-on choke. Hopefully, it's the latter...
Don't worry, he usually saves his perfect tennis for matches against Fed. I believe he has lost 9 straight matches to Novak.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
MsWoof

I love Radwanska's game. She has a high tennis IQ and disguises her shots so well.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Every time he does something to make me consider liking him he does something like that. It is a slap in the face to Stan, it wasn't even in the quarters, semis or final.
Did you not see the rest? He applauded Stan for a long time, and then talked about Stan's game in the interview. It was as humble as it can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Don't worry, he usually saves his perfect tennis for matches against Fed. I believe he has lost 9 straight matches to Novak.
That's so true. There's just something about Federer (or his game) that makes Berdych play good. Remember AO 2009 (?) when he won the first two sets and then collapsed. Now, he's gotten mentally stronger.

I think Novak's return game is usually what troubles Berdych a lot; what does work in Berdych's favor this time is that it has been rather sub-par.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Berdych arguably returns Fed's serve better than anyone else on tour, better than guys who are in general better returners than him, and better than he returns Novak's serve. It's a bit odd actually.

Not only that but as Federer has aged power hitters have caused him more problems. Not so with Nole. He's quite happy to out-slug even the biggest hitters on tour like Berdych and Delpo, and of course his defense is superior to theirs. I'm confident he can out-grind Tomas even if his offensive game isn't totally there.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
Novak's defense is ridiculous

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
On the women's side in Grand Slams, I really, really miss Kuznetsova. Svetlana didn't always play great tennis, though she was capable of it, but high drama followed her around like a shadow.
Yes, great to have her around. Especially when she's getting rid of Wozniacki.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:44 PM
MsWoof

Kuznetsova just beat Wozniacki in 3 sets. She has dropped to 71 in the world due to injuries but they had a really good match.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Seppi finally breaks Chardy on his fifth opportunity at 5-5 and serves out the set with little trouble. Much better than his last match so far.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Chardy wins the second mostly by virtue of patching up his serve and breaks the first game of the third. Seppi just hasn't been able to play his game at all. He'll get Chardy in a slightly defensive position, draw a few backhand slices, but ultimately hit the forehand into the net or wide.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Vesnina's playing awesome

Old
01-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

ok she sucked lolss

Old
01-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Chardy finishes it off. Nicely played, but I wouldn't count on him winning more than ten games against Murray.

Jo has come out firing. Already up a break and has two chances for a second.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Tsonga takes the first set 6-4. Gasquet had three chances to break back with Jo serving for it at 5-4 0-40, but Jo won five straight points to close it out.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:09 AM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Yes, great to have her around. Especially when she's getting rid of Wozniacki.
Good for her. That sounds like the match was exactly the sort of drama I was referring to. I'm sorry that I missed it. But it serves me right. Hell, I thought she had retired and I never bothered to glance at the women's draw this time around. After the last couple of poorly played GSs last year, except for Sharapova, my interest in women's tennis would seem to be at an all time low.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Tsonga up two sets to one and an early break in the fourth. He cooled off quite a bit after his start, but he's playing a bit better again. He had a horrible stretch of play in the second in which he made way too many errors. As so often in Gasquet's matches against better players, his superior court positioning has made the difference. Now breaks again at love. *3-0.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:20 AM
kihei

Looks like it must have been a good match up until this set, but Tsonga is playing well and having an easy time of it in the fourth, 3-0 with two breaks.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:28 AM
kihei

Murray quickly up 3-1 over Simon.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

It's fun how Simon is capable of varying his playing style so much. Judging from what I saw he could hardly have played more defensively against Monfils. Then he comes up against Murray and realizes he'll have to try to dictate things more. Sort of like Tomic in that regard.

Unfortunately he already looks to be in pain serving. I wonder if this is the same shoulder problem he had at the US Open.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:43 AM
17futurecap

So mad I bailed on that Nole match last night, got to see the end this afternoon, what a way to end it. Congrats to Sloane Stephens on going to the quarters and breaking into the top 20, good on her. Hope everyone is doing well here!

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:45 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Mats talking about the duty lower seeds have to each other "to inflict as much pain as possible to [Federer, Djokovic, or Murray]" so that another lower seed can have a better chance to beat that higher seed in the next round, and disparaging the fact that they don't put up more resistance for the sake of each other.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:46 AM
kihei

Quote:
It's fun how Simon is capable of varying his playing style so much. Judging from what I saw he could hardly have played more defensively against Monfils. Then he comes up against Murray and realizes he'll have to try to dictate things more. Sort of like Tomic in that regard.

Unfortunately he already looks to be in pain serving. I wonder if this is the same shoulder problem he had at the US Open.
Sounds like Gilles is growing on you a little...can't say either player looks sharp so far, though. Murray is looking casually confident considering his spotty play so far. I don't think he believes Simon can hurt him...And now Andy has the first set.

Well, Andy looks sharp now, and Gilles looks fading even more, 2-0 Murray...spoke too soon, as Gilles takes advantage of some weak play and gets the break back, 2-1...Murray's turn to break--Simon looking good on some points and woeful on others, with a first serve as low as 143 kms.

Last edited by kihei: 01-21-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 01:52 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

I can appreciate the way Simon sometimes plays. The match against Nadal in Madrid a few years back was amazing.

I think Murray has actually played pretty well for the most part. I've enjoyed the match more than I thought I would given who is playing.