HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 10.0 - NHL'er! Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 11:17 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
24 games + playoffs. If the Sting hold on to their division lead, I believe they'd have the opportunity to hold home ice advantage for at least a couple of rounds.
24 games if they send him back now, 20 if he goes back after 5 games which seems likely either way.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:26 AM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
We don't want him to take the fall on the line every time they don't score a goal. Which is exactly what Therrien showed last night. Galchenyuk was the only player to be removed from the PP and was the only player delegated from the top two lines. Sorry, I'm not ****ing with the confidence of an 18 year old by making him the scapegoat every time the team falters.
Why does this necessarily mean he's screwing with his confidence? I think 12-13 minutes or whatever he got was plenty with a good dose of PP time.

Lots of learning material there he can go over with the coaches in his FIRST ever NHL game.

I thought he looked alright...had a couple dangerous shots...saw him fish the puck out a couple times. Not scared of contact. Skated well. I'm kind of neutral on his performance.

The whole team looked ridiculously slow and out of sync.

I'm with the camp of keeping him up for the season. Put him on the third line with Eller at centre give em about the same icetime as tonight with some spot PP duty.

I think 'ruining' prospects as a concept is overstated. Either they're good enough or they're not. As long as he's big enough a man to take and give a hit and keep up with the play why would you not have him up here with NHL calibre coaching,training, systems etc. etc. etc.

He certainly wasn't a liability out there so why not. Let's get em used to the show.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:31 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
Why does this necessarily mean he's screwing with his confidence? I think 12-13 minutes or whatever he got was plenty with a good dose of PP time.

Lots of learning material there he can go over with the coaches in his FIRST ever NHL game.

I thought he looked alright...had a couple dangerous shots...saw him fish the puck out a couple times. Not scared of contact. Skated well. I'm kind of neutral on his performance.

The whole team looked ridiculously slow and out of sync.

I'm with the camp of keeping him up for the season. Put him on the third line with Eller at centre give em about the same icetime as tonight with some spot PP duty.

I think 'ruining' prospects as a concept is overstated. Either they're good enough or they're not. As long as he's big enough a man to take and give a hit and keep up with the play why would you not have him up here with NHL calibre coaching,training, systems etc. etc. etc.

He certainly wasn't a liability out there so why not. Let's get em used to the show.
It wasn't like the lines were re-shuffled.. he was singled out and was the only person removed from the top two lines. I don't care how well adjusted you are there are some subconscious processes that go on with moves like this that allow the individual to think that they are the problem which is why they were singled out and removed.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It wasn't like the lines were re-shuffled.. he was singled out and was the only person removed from the top two lines. I don't care how well adjusted you are there are some subconscious processes that go on with moves like this that allow the individual to think that they are the problem which is why they were singled out and removed.
He was also put out on the ice late in the third when Price was pulled out to make room for a sixth skater. Does that not count for something?

Therrien doesn't want to screw with Desharnais' line for now. That left Gionta or Galchenyuk to switch around... but there was really no one to take Gionta' spot on the right, so moving Galchenyuk made the most sense. It's not like he was playing lights out with those two anyway and he was playing in his first NHL game.

And he was paired with Eller and Moen, not pushed down to the fourth line and left to rot on the bench for the rest of the game. That line actually looked more dangerous than Plekanec's.

There is no need to freak out just yet.

Last edited by Montreal Typical: 01-20-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old
01-20-2013, 12:37 PM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
He was also put out on the ice late in the third when Price was pulled out to make room for a sixth skater. Does that not count for something?

Therrien doesn't want to screw with Desharnais' line for now. That left Gionta or Galchenyuk to switch around... but there was really no one to take Gionta' spot on the right, so moving Galchenyuk made the most sense. It's not like he was playing lights out with those two anyway and he was playing in his first NHL game.

And he was paired with Eller and Moen, not pushed down to the fourth line and left to rot on the bench for the rest of the game. That line actually looked more dangerous than Plekanec's.

Glad someone is still thinking rationally here.

Like I said, I don't get the obsession about having to dominate somewhere beforee being NHL-ready. Did Patrice Bergeron have to dominate juniors? Did Claude Giroux have to dominate junior and preseason games?

This is like Chucky's first preseason game in the NHL...but against NHL opposition. He didn't get 5-6 preseason games to adjust like other prospects usually do in a normal season. Give him time to adjust, and give him a good sport psychologist that can bring out the swag in him. He'll be fine if he gets 12-15 mins / game. Nothing like playing in the NHL to get used to NHL speed. "Dominating" in the OHL won't do that, and he won't be better off next year.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post

Yet, what you do, is make him center the 4th line, 'cause he is just that a CENTERMAN, move Prust with Eller. Or move White with Eller if you are so scared that Gally will miss all of his defensive assignments so you add him to Prust and Armdog. Gally isn't a winger. Not on any line from the 1st to the 4th. That's not his game. That's not how you will get the best of him. With the idea of going slow with the kid and accept his mistakes, you do so by playing him at the center position. It makes me crazy that to be sure the kid is accomodating real well, you will actually make him play another position? Let's play Weber on the wings so he's accomodating to the NHL and learn to play his position that way...What? Is Grigorenko on the wings today? How's that? Oh because Sabres is so weak that Grigo can play there.....This is mad. We have been one of the worst team all year long last year and yet, we probably were the team with the less spots available.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Face81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yet, what you do, is make him center the 4th line, 'cause he is just that a CENTERMAN, move Prust with Eller. Or move White with Eller if you are so scared that Gally will miss all of his defensive assignments so you add him to Prust and Armdog. Gally isn't a winger. Not on any line from the 1st to the 4th. That's not his game. That's not how you will get the best of him. With the idea of going slow with the kid and accept his mistakes, you do so by playing him at the center position. It makes me crazy that to be sure the kid is accomodating real well, you will actually make him play another position? Let's play Weber on the wings so he's accomodating to the NHL and learn to play his position that way...What? Is Grigorenko on the wings today? How's that? Oh because Sabres is so weak that Grigo can play there.....This is mad. We have been one of the worst team all year long last year and yet, we probably were the team with the less spots available.
Wasn't he playing on the wings in Sarnia? I'm pretty sure I saw an interview like last week where he was talking about that and then said he had no problem with playing anywhre.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face81 View Post
Wasn't he playing on the wings in Sarnia? I'm pretty sure I saw an interview like last week where he was talking about that and then said he had no problem with playing anywhre.
He was a winger who actually played as a centerman. In Sarnia, he does what he wants. Not making him a centerman just means he's not taking all the faceoffs. But the rest of his game, most of his goals and points are made as if he'd be a centerman. Of course, he'll say he has no problem playing anywhere....I've never read a rookie saying that he prefers this and that. Even not rookies like Eller says he'll play wherever they want...doesn't want he's at ease everywhere.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:21 PM
GalHabsGal

Quote:
He was a winger who actually played as a centerman. In Sarnia, he does what he wants. Not making him a centerman just means he's not taking all the faceoffs. But the rest of his game, most of his goals and points are made as if he'd be a centerman. Of course, he'll say he has no problem playing anywhere....I've never read a rookie saying that he prefers this and that. Even not rookies like Eller says he'll play wherever they want...doesn't want he's at ease everywhere.
Relax on the wing-center position ... For me it really doesn't matter, I just want him to get some NHL experience.

Grigo is playing wing now with Buffulo, and normally he is playing center... Almost all young players start on the wing...

Old
01-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
I agree that he should be playing as a center, but the idea that he's being singled out is premature.

If he's still playing on the wing after 10 games and the other centers are sucking then, yes, it may be cause for concern. Who knows though, he may well end up centering the third line next game with Eller on the wing or something like that. The plan was for Galchenyuk to play with Plekanec last game, but it didn't go so great. I assume that Therrien didn't want to mess with the lines too much in a single game so he just switched two players around. The organisation wants Galchenyuk at center anyway, so it's fair to assume that it isn't time to panic just yet.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:45 PM
NotProkofievian

I saw Galchenyuk getting demoted as a pretty logical move. Galchenyuk is ill-suited to play the "get the puck" role that is sorely needed on a line of Gionta and Pleks. He's not shy, and I thought he showed good willingness to go into the corners. I never thought that line would show any chemistry anyways. I think playing with Eller and Moen is a good opportunity for him. We'll see how it goes in the coming games.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalHabsGal View Post
Relax on the wing-center position ... For me it really doesn't matter, I just want him to get some NHL experience.

Grigo is playing wing now with Buffulo, and normally he is playing center... Almost all young players start on the wing...
Grigo is being switched all game long. He was also playing center.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:02 PM
SOLR

I have no issue with Gally playing on the wing, in fact, I think he might end up being a winger when everything is said is done. My comparative for him was always Marian Hossa or Peter Forsberg, two guys that can play all forwards position with the same kind of success. (Yes we still need to find 2 top 6 centers...Eller might grow into it and I don't mind Desharnais as a 2nd center)

I said it in an earlier post, but I'll say it again. I think he looked good / ok last night. He made a few low % plays that he won't be doing by next year and he needs to get more involved in the board play in general. The fact is, it was very hard for him to get noticed last night, Plekanec was awful. Dropping the puck, missed passes, couldn't control the puck in his skates, giveaways, bad penalty, misses the net = no winger can succeed if the center can't hold the puck or play his possessions at a high %. (beside the goal) Gionta was not more visible than Gally, in fact I think Gally outplayed Gionta for the 2 first period.

I also noticed last night how much respect Galchenyuk already gets from the competition, he gets lots of free space and time entering the zone, like all dangerous offensive stars.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:03 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I saw Galchenyuk getting demoted as a pretty logical move. Galchenyuk is ill-suited to play the "get the puck" role that is sorely needed on a line of Gionta and Pleks. He's not shy, and I thought he showed good willingness to go into the corners. I never thought that line would show any chemistry anyways. I think playing with Eller and Moen is a good opportunity for him. We'll see how it goes in the coming games.
I want to see Gally - Eller - Gionta

Old
01-20-2013, 02:05 PM
2faded

hi ducks fan here with a fantasy question.

is alex playing with the canadiens or is he staying in the ahl? thanks in advance.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:07 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I'd probably have kicked myself in the balls for saying it in the summer, but if Prust plays like he did last night all the time, I wouldn't mind seeing him alongside Eller and Gally either.

Either way, I don't mind putting him down with Moen and Eller, I had an issue with him playing with Pleks from the beginning. Pleks is supposed to be playing against top opposition. Gally can't handle that just yet. He needs to play softer minutes, kinda like how Subban came into the league; he didn't play the best opposition right off the bat, IIRC. I wouldn't mind seeing Gally play with DD and Cole either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post

is alex playing with the canadiens or is he staying in the ahl? thanks in advance.
what?

Old
01-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Takashi

Is Galchenyuk the youngest player in NHL right now?

Old
01-20-2013, 02:09 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:

No AHL. It's either NHL or CHL.

At this point it looks like he may or may not stay, its up in the air for now. The next 4 games should be more telling.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:11 PM
2faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
No AHL. It's either NHL or CHL.

At this point it looks like he may or may not stay, its up in the air for now. The next 4 games should be more telling.
ok thanks. but he'll be playing to start the season?

Old
01-20-2013, 02:12 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
ok thanks. but he'll be playing to start the season?
He played yesterday.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
While Galchenyuk is obvisouly more at ease at C for now, he have all the qualities of a great winger.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:24 PM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Why is everyone so afraid that he will be rushed, or that his confidence is being shattered. The guy is entering NHL level, if he can't withstand some pressure he'll never make it. He's got 1 game under his belt for gods sake

Old
01-20-2013, 02:24 PM
GalHabsGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post

If Gally-Plek-Gionta doesn't work i would love to see:

Gally-Eller-BGally ( with Bourque-Prek-Gionta )
and Moen-Prust-Colby (bye bye White )

Old
01-20-2013, 02:30 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
The whole team played like crap and we are criticizing a 18 year old?

This is the least painful year to tank so Gally should be sent down to Sarnia after 5 games. Period.
Galchenyuk will be fine; you guys have a great player. Both teams played below expectations; it was the first game back after a highly draining lockout; where training camp/preseason were cut. Galchenyuk also went through WJC; which seemed to drain a lot of players. Rielly was also a step behind for us; not due to lack of talent. It's just not common for these young guys to be able to jump in and compete immediately. What makes it worse is having it happen in a hotbed like our franchises.

Look no further than Kadri; not a perfect example; as his potential is lower than Galchenyuk when drafted; but bare with me.. he has consistently improved his game every time I've seen him; yet from day one he has had to be labeled as a "bust". Statistically speaking; he is on par or ahead of other players in his draft class; yet he is constantly grilled. His "defensive game" is criticized; for mistakes he made years ago; his progression is completely ignored. He is a fairly responsible player these days. There comes a time where our teams have to consider sheltering these guys from this pressure; I would definitely consider Alex going back to Sarnia. Not because of a lack of talent or missed expectations; that's ridiculous to judge in 1-5 games. It is worth having him solidify his skills in an environment that is not judging each shift he takes. For better or worse; our teams and media do not afford that. Be patient with the guy; block out the inevitable misguided stupid comments; give the kid some time. Reap the benefits when he is ready.

I'm both excited and scared to see what he has in store for the future. I'm finding it harder to hate the Habs each passing year; with Price, Subban, now Galchenyuk.

Now it's time for both our teams to rightfully take back our spots in this league that we built.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:32 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
Why is everyone so afraid that he will be rushed, or that his confidence is being shattered. The guy is entering NHL level
Personally, I just think wasting 1 year on an 48 game schedule is dumb when he can burn 1 year on an 82 game schedule. More bang for your buck imo. The 5 games gives him a taste of what its like so he can come back in the fall and be in the mindset that he knows what to expect, and maybe is a bit more prepared the 2nd time around

Closed Thread