HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

All Encompassing Tanking/Rebuilding/Selling at Deadline Thread 2.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 12:40 PM
  #101
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Jack Johnson is not a bust like Filatov though, he just didn't become a (good enough) #1, like Bouwmeester did not either. I'd rather have a team that tries to win, that signs UFAs, that is built with intelligence. What is the point in trading our players for 2nd round picks ?
If somebody offers us a 2nd round pick for Tomas Plekanec, Andrei Markov, or Eric Cole, we should say "thanks but no thanks".

These are my approximate expectations for their trade values:
Plekanec: Terrevainen
Markov: Forsberg
Cole: 1st rounder

I'd take 2nd rounders for Kaberle, Bourque, or possibly Gionta.

Those of us advocating we sell our veterans are not advocating a garage sale.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:41 PM
  #102
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Any top-60 pick is quality with Trevor Timmins.

Subban, Latendresse, and Lapierre were all 2nd round picks.

More recently, Kristo and Collberg have been 2nd round picks, and the experts on this site are enthusiastic about their chances of success.
Only Subban is quality on that list, unless Collberg or Kristo become top notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If somebody offers us a 2nd round pick for Tomas Plekanec, Andrei Markov, or Eric Cole, we should say "thanks but no thanks".

These are my approximate expectations for their trade values:
Plekanec: Terrevainen
Markov: Forsberg
Cole: 1st rounder

I'd take 2nd rounders for Kaberle, Bourque, or possibly Gionta.

Those of us advocating we sell our veterans are not advocating a garage sale.
If we end up missing the playoffs, which I personnaly doubt, I wouldn't mind adding Forsberg, but then I'm not sure Washington would make that trade. Markov doesn't have such a good trade value. And Terrevainen is fine but pretty small. I like our vets, they have a good influence on the team, on the younger players.


Last edited by FF de Mars: 01-20-2013 at 12:46 PM.
FF de Mars is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:43 PM
  #103
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Best post in this thread AINEC. I love how Washington is always brought up as an example of why this strategy works. lmao. I'm not sure if I missed something they've done. Their claim to fame is getting knocked out by the habs. Sound reasoning there.

I've yet to see anything that suggests the Washington Capitals model is a model to emulate.
They absolutely are a model to emulate. And they actually should've gotten a top five in 2005 but got shafted because of the lottery. In a normal year they'd have gotten Carey Price and we'd have gotten whoever they got later in the draft.

What's really ironic in all this is... the same thing was said before Pittsburgh and Chicago and LA won anything. Guys like you always come in and chirp about how these clubs haven't won anything yet. Then they win and you start talking about the next rebuild... "well Edmonton hasn't won anything yet..."

When will you ever learn?

Washington may never win anything. Nobody disputes this. But they've assembled a great team with young superstars and it wouldn't be surprising in the least to see them put it all together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Obviously I'm not happy about the last 15 years. But to me it's about having a line of bad GMs in a row rather than the lack of tanking. I hope Bergevin does a better job. We lost Koivu and Souray and Komisarek, and Ribeiro and Sergei Kostitsyn and to an extend Grabovski and so many more players... for nothing. I'm just weary about tanking because it looks like a magical solution to me. I think having a good GM is the way to go.
Think about where we'd be if we'd dealt Koivu and Souray and Kovalev and Streit...

Think about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
We need quality, not quantity.
Give him as many picks to work with as you can. We'll get quality players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Washington was a legitimate contender for several years.

That's the best you can do at the end of the day, build a legitimate contender.

I'm sure if Pittsburgh had lost to Detroit in 2008 you'd be arguing that "Pittsburgh has not won anything". It's a weak argument as it is luck-dependent.
Exactly. Ottawa built a powerhouse team that probably should've won a cup along the way (the lockout killed them the most) and they bulilt a great team via a rebuild. Did they win a cup? No. That doesn't mean they didn't choose the right path. They had amazing scoring, great defense... they just needed a stud goalie.

There are no guarantees but doing things the way we've done them in the past is far less likely to result in any kind of success than a rebuild would. Esp with Timmins on our side.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
  #104
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Washington was a legitimate contender for several years.

That's the best you can do at the end of the day, build a legitimate contender.

I'm sure if Pittsburgh had lost to Detroit in 2008 you'd be arguing that "Pittsburgh has not won anything". It's a weak argument as it is luck-dependent.
There is an element of luck involved in everything, including drafting in the first round.

The fact remains, the Washington Capitals have not even made the conference finals. They weren't ever good enough. Losing a series 4-0 is not luck, they weren't good enough.

Legitimate contenders by who? paper? That's why games are played. The Washington capitals success isn't much better than our own. The grass is always greener.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
  #105
cphabs
It complels you!
 
cphabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: WNY
Country: United States
Posts: 723
vCash: 500
Why does it have to be surgical? I want want our "tank" to be in the likes of the Hindenburge blimp disaster!

cphabs is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:52 PM
  #106
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
There is an element of luck involved in everything, including drafting in the first round.

The fact remains, the Washington Capitals have not even made the conference finals. They weren't ever good enough. Losing a series 4-0 is not luck, they weren't good enough.

Legitimate contenders by who? paper? That's why games are played. The Washington capitals success isn't much better than our own. The grass is always greener.
And the Ottawa Senators never won anything... we get it, there are no guarantees. That doesn't mean rebuilding doesn't work. It does. Nick Backstrom was 5th in the scoring race before getting hurt. Maybe he's damaged goods and maybe Washington won't go anywhere. But they assembled a great team and that's all you can ask for.

Look at Atlanta... drafted high got three potential superstars. One was perpetually hurt, the other winds up killing a teammate in a car crash... Sometimes things don't work out man. But the rebuild portion was the right path, just didn't work out.

Again, cup winners are usually rebuilds. It's been that way for a long time. Doesn't mean that rebuilding is going to win you a cup. It's just a more proven path than doing it the way we've done it in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cphabs View Post
Why does it have to be surgical? I want want our "tank" to be in the likes of the Hindenburge blimp disaster!
You may get your wish. Whether it's intentional or not we could finish at the bottom again this season. Our forwards are underwhelming to say the least. If Erik Cole doesn't repeat his career year it will be a long season.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:59 PM
  #107
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
And the Ottawa Senators never won anything... we get it, there are no guarantees. That doesn't mean rebuilding doesn't work. It does. Nick Backstrom was 5th in the scoring race before getting hurt. Maybe he's damaged goods and maybe Washington won't go anywhere. But they assembled a great team and that's all you can ask for.

Look at Atlanta... drafted high got three potential superstars. One was perpetually hurt, the other winds up killing a teammate in a car crash... Sometimes things don't work out man. But the rebuild portion was the right path, just didn't work out.

Again, cup winners are usually rebuilds. It's been that way for a long time. Doesn't mean that rebuilding is going to win you a cup. It's just a more proven path than doing it the way we've done it in the past.

You may get your wish. Whether it's intentional or not we could finish at the bottom again this season. Our forwards are underwhelming to say the least. If Erik Cole doesn't repeat his career year it will be a long season.
It's funny how you keep parroting the same crap. I am all for rebuilding btw. Our team isn't very good. The idea that it can be done in a year or two is foolish. I'm all for trading expiring contracts for picks ect and moving guys who aren't in the long term plans of the team, however, there needs to be a balance, a balance that is completely missing from this thread.

I generally agree with the idea of re-building, but DAChampion is being completely disingenuous suggesting this can be done in one year. It can't be, no chance in hell and you seemingly agreeing with him means you share the same misplaced view. It cannot be done.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 01:00 PM
  #108
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,370
vCash: 500
As an aside, when I agree for a 1-year surgical rebuild and suggest we can turn the ship around to being a transition as soon as 2013-2014, I assume Subban.

If Bergevin is as much of an idiot as the media is making him out to be (i.e. he offered 2 years @ 3.25 million per), then we may end up losing Subban for a bag of pucks.

If that happens, this team will need many years of high draft picks to recover.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 01:05 PM
  #109
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
It's funny how you keep parroting the same crap. I am all for rebuilding btw. Our team isn't very good. The idea that it can be done in a year or two is foolish. I'm all for trading expiring contracts for picks ect and moving guys who aren't in the long term plans of the team, however, there needs to be a balance, a balance that is completely missing from this thread.

I generally agree with the idea of re-building, but DAChampion is being completely disingenuous suggesting this can be done in one year. It can't be, no chance in hell and you seemingly agreeing with him means you share the same misplaced view. It cannot be done.
I think you're misreading what he's suggesting. He's saying we take this year to deal some vets. We'll probably finish low but we sacrifice the season to get returns on our vets.

Will the actual rebuild take more than one year? Maybe. But dude... we may be in the tank whether we want to be or not. That may not be what you want to hear but it could very easily happen. We didn't try to tank last year and still finished 15th.

Better to start dealing assets now so it accelerates things. Like I said though, dealing Markov, Cole and Plecs isn't going to send us back to the stone age. We've lived without Markov for a long time anyway and Cole only joined us last year (and we tanked with him and Plecs anyway.) If we're going to sink, we'll sink with or without those guys. The only question is whether or not we want to maximize the assets before it happens.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 01:07 PM
  #110
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
It's funny how you keep parroting the same crap. I am all for rebuilding btw. Our team isn't very good. The idea that it can be done in a year or two is foolish. I'm all for trading expiring contracts for picks ect and moving guys who aren't in the long term plans of the team, however, there needs to be a balance, a balance that is completely missing from this thread.

I generally agree with the idea of re-building, but DAChampion is being completely disingenuous suggesting this can be done in one year. It can't be, no chance in hell and you seemingly agreeing with him means you share the same misplaced view. It cannot be done.
I'm not being disingenuous, that's the outline.

We already have Subban, Price, Eller, Emelin, Pacioretty, Gorges with the big club; and Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Collberg, Kristo, Leblanc as good prospects. Once those guys develop we'll have a bubble team at worst. It has an outside chance of being a legitimate contender all on its own, but only if everything goes right.

Add one more top-6 pick (Jones, Barkov, Lindholm, Drouin, MacKinnon, or Monahan), the three 2nd rounders we already have, and an additional 1st and 2nd rounder or equivalent in a very deep draft year and I'm convinced we have a solid nucleus to be legitimate contenders for several years.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 01:08 PM
  #111
sergejean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
This year would be great for missing the playoff and picking top 5. Here is why:

1. There seems to be a large pool of quality young players available
2. We just hired new management so they should get the benefit of the doubt should we finish among the worst teams
3. We get to suffer for 48 games instead of 82

The real question we should ask is wether or not we can realistically pretend to win the Stanley Cup with the current line-up and the answer right now is no. We have to stop believing that the goal is to make the playoff and then anything can happen. While it may be true in theory, the reality is that if you're a fringe team, chances are you will not be winning the cup and if you do, it will be a fluke and could as easily not make it to the playoff the following season.

Imo, the best bet is to try to develop a core of players who will peak around the same time and avoid patching holes with expensive veterans who may be good enough to give you a snif at the 7-8 position but not good enough to make you a serious contender. Doesn't mean veterans are a bad thing but they should be the gravy on top, not the backbone.

So...with that in mind, what do we do with our Habs?

1. Identify your core group. The players that you will rely on to take you to the promise land in 3-5 years. I can think of Price, Subban and Galchenyuk.
2. Do not touch your prospect pool to go get a veteran player at least not for the next 3-5 years. We are just not there yet in the rebuilding process.
3. Other players that have not been identified in the core are players that can be traded. Traded, not given away. And for quality picks/prospects/younger developing players. This is not the time to take on over the hill veterans or hefty contracts.

While there's no such thing as a 100% guaranteed recipe, i feel that establishing a plan like this one would be our best bet to finally ice a championship caliber team that not only could challenge for the cup but could also remain in the top of the league for many years if well managed.

sergejean is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 01:17 PM
  #112
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think you're misreading what he's suggesting. He's saying we take this year to deal some vets. We'll probably finish low but we sacrifice the season to get returns on our vets.

Will the actual rebuild take more than one year? Maybe. But dude... we may be in the tank whether we want to be or not. That may not be what you want to hear but it could very easily happen. We didn't try to tank last year and still finished 15th.

Better to start dealing assets now so it accelerates things. Like I said though, dealing Markov, Cole and Plecs isn't going to send us back to the stone age. We've lived without Markov for a long time anyway and Cole only joined us last year (and we tanked with him and Plecs anyway.) If we're going to sink, we'll sink with or without those guys. The only question is whether or not we want to maximize the assets before it happens.
I do think that if we do things right this year we can shift from being a rebuilding team to being a transition team as soon as 2013-2014.

That means:

- Keep Subban
- Deal 1 or 2 vets
- Draft in the top-6

DAChampion is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 01:20 PM
  #113
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I do think that if we do things right this year we can shift from being a rebuilding team to being a transition team as soon as 2013-2014.

That means:

- Keep Subban
- Deal 1 or 2 vets
- Draft in the top-6
I agree. We could easily start making the playoffs in the 2014 season if we rebuild now. It might not happen that quickly but if we do nothing we might not make it anyway. I'm still kind of up in the air about our core. That's why I think we should do this now. Shortened season, new manager and GM with a deep draft and we're coming off an awful year. Perfect time to do this.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 01:24 PM
  #114
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I'm not being disingenuous, that's the outline.

We already have Subban, Price, Eller, Emelin, Pacioretty, Gorges with the big club; and Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Collberg, Kristo, Leblanc as good prospects. Once those guys develop we'll have a bubble team at worst. It has an outside chance of being a legitimate contender all on its own, but only if everything goes right.

Add one more top-6 pick (Jones, Barkov, Lindholm, Drouin, MacKinnon, or Monahan), the three 2nd rounders we already have, and an additional 1st and 2nd rounder or equivalent in a very deep draft year and I'm convinced we have a solid nucleus to be legitimate contenders for several years.
Out of Tinordi, Beaulieu, Collberg, leblanc, kristo, there aren't more then 1 or 2 who will on the roster by 2013-2014, and they certainly won't be key contributors in their first season. If you deal away all the good veteran players just because of they're age, who are the good players going to be in 2013-2014. Are they going to fall from the sky?

We have a decent core, but way too many holes to be filled with our prospect depth that we have now and 1 more year in the tank isn't going to change that. Outside of the odd pick, most guys take at least 3 years to even crack the roster. Out of current guys, we have no legit top line prospects aside from Gally.

I'm all on your side for maximizing value and never letting an asset go to waste, like we did with Souray, Saku, komi, Tanguay and on and on. Those moves should have been made then, no doubt about it, but I think trading coles, pleks, ect now is not only unlikely to help a great deal, but guys like gally need some veteran presence to mature and show them how to be pros and pleks still has enough game imo to be part of the core moving forward.

There's no way we can complete a full rebuild in one year. We'll still be a fringe playoff team for years to come with this strategy. Although it may position us to become a contender 4, 5, 6 years down the road, but nothing you have suggested gets us there any quicker imo.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 01:30 PM
  #115
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I agree. We could easily start making the playoffs in the 2014 season if we rebuild now. It might not happen that quickly but if we do nothing we might not make it anyway. I'm still kind of up in the air about our core. That's why I think we should do this now. Shortened season, new manager and GM with a deep draft and we're coming off an awful year. Perfect time to do this.
I also agree that we can be competitive by next season as well, assuming management plays it smart and employs some intelligent asset management. I never want to see my habs lose, but the shortened season and seeing for my very eyes how exciting a kid like Galchenyuk can be will make the losses sting a bit less.

I think a lot of us knew that with the signings of Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon that management isn't really expecting to 'go for it' this year. And I'm thankful for that. The only thing worse than narrowly missing the playoffs or getting bumped in the 1st round is doing either of those while giving up future assets.

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 01:34 PM
  #116
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Out of Tinordi, Bealieu, Collberg, leblanc, kristo, there aren't more than 1 or 2 who will on the roster by 2013-2014, and they certainly won't be key contributors in their first season. If you deal away all the good veteran players just because of they're age, who are the good players going to be in 2013-2014. Are they going to fall from the sky?

We have a decent core, but way too many holes to be filled with our prospect depth that we have now and 1 more year in the tank isn't going to change that. Outside of the odd pick, most guys take at least 3 years to even crack the roster. Out of current guys, we have no legit top line prospects aside from Gally.

I'm all on your side for maximizing value and never letting an asset go to waste, like we did with Souray, Saku, komi, Tanguay and on and on. Those moves should have been made then, no doubt about it, but I think trading coles, pleks, ect now is not only unlikely to help a great deal, but guys like gally need some veteran presence to mature and show them how to be pros and pleks still has enough game imo to be part of the core moving forward.

There's no way we can complete a full rebuild in one year. We'll still be a fringe playoff team for years to come with this strategy. Although it may position us to become a contender 4, 5, 6 years down the road, but nothing you have suggested gets us there any quicker imo.
Even if we compete the rebuild in one year from this point forward it's not a 1-year rebuild. Gauthier did a semi-tank in 2011-2012: he got three additional 2nd rounders, he got Patrick Holland which in my mind is equivalent to a 2nd rounder, he reduced the long-term salary cap by 6 million, and we drafted Alex Galchenyuk. Lafleurs is correct that this was not planned and could have been done better, but whatever, it's a good start.

I am for trading veterans but I am not for trading all the veterans. First of all I don't think there's the demand in the trade market for all the veterans, but even if there was, we could easily refill our cupboards in the UFA market with our 28 million dollars in cap space.

I list six veterans on the teams now: Markov, Plekanec, Cole, Gionta, Bourque, Kaberle. Bergevin should test the trade market demand for all of them, and at the end of the day sell the 1 or 2 for which we can get great value. If we can sell three or four of them, great ! but I doubt it so the point is moot. You say that 1 or 2 of the prospects I listed will make the roster in 2013-2014, ok, good, so that's one or two fewer veterans on the team.


If we get draft picks for the six veterans above rather than letting them all walk for nothing, we'll have additional complementary (maybe even core) players during out stanley cup contention window of 2015-2018.

I think Galchenyuk will make us a better team in 2013-2014. I think at least one of our big three defensive prospects (Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis) will contribute in a secondary capacity -- we only need 1 in the short-term. I think whoever we draft top-6 this year has a good shot of contributing in a secondary capacity.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 01:36 PM
  #117
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I also agree that we can be competitive by next season as well, assuming management plays it smart and employs some intelligent asset management. I never want to see my habs lose, but the shortened season and seeing for my very eyes how exciting a kid like Galchenyuk can be will make the losses sting a bit less.

I think a lot of us knew that with the signings of Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon that management isn't really expecting to 'go for it' this year. And I'm thankful for that. The only thing worse than narrowly missing the playoffs or getting bumped in the 1st round is doing either of those while giving up future assets.
See, I can't agree with this. Where are these improvements coming from? Sure, our youngsters will develop some and improve if things pan out, but where is the infusion of talent coming from that can take our winger depth from terrible to decent? Where is the d coming from that will replace what we already have here now? I don't see how tanking now improves us for next year. I think the argument is mostly wishful thinking.

Edit: If we trade a couple of our old vets. IE cole, pleks, is that going to make us better going forward? It's silly. Lets be honest here, not many of those vets carry much value. Kabs, bourque, ect have borderline negative value, if markov returns to form (big if imo), but he looked good last night, maybe he could fetch something, but I don't see how this team will become better contenders in a year or two by trading veteranss for picks, sure, 4, 5 years down the road it most likely will have advantages, but for next year and the year after. I don't see it.


Last edited by habsfanatics: 01-20-2013 at 01:43 PM.
habsfanatics is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 01:46 PM
  #118
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
See, I can't agree with this. Where are these improvements coming from? Sure, our youngsters will develop some and improve if things pan out, but where is the infusion of talent coming from that can take our winger depth from terrible to decent? Where is the d coming from that will replace what we already have here now? I don't see how tanking now improves us for next year. I think the argument is mostly wishful thinking.

Edit: If we trade a couple of our old vets. IE cole, pleks, is that going to make us better going forward? It's silly. Lets be honest here, not many of those vets carry much value. Kabs, bourque, ect have borderline negative value, if markov returns to form (big if imo), but he looked good last night, maybe he could fetch something, but I don't see how this team will become better contenders in a year or two by trading veteranss for picks, sure, 4, 5 years down the road it most likely will have advantages, but for next year and the year after. I don't see it.
If they're such mediocre players that they have no value then we should be able to easily recover from dealing them.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 01:52 PM
  #119
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If they're such mediocre players that they have no value then we should be able to easily recover from dealing them.
Not what I said. They don't carry much value in a trade, but for us, they're all we have.

We have nothing even remotely close to replacing Cole or pleks in the foreseeable future.

Sure, deals kabs if you can, we should of never brought him in the first place same with Bourque. I'm a bit sentimental with Markov, would love to see him retire a hab, but if we get offered a blow you away deal, make it. Pleks value can't be replaced easily. Would prefer to have him on our roster than deal him for picks. Gionta, probably could net a decent return, but I don't see much accelerating going on here tbh.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:03 PM
  #120
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I also agree that we can be competitive by next season as well, assuming management plays it smart and employs some intelligent asset management. I never want to see my habs lose, but the shortened season and seeing for my very eyes how exciting a kid like Galchenyuk can be will make the losses sting a bit less.

I think a lot of us knew that with the signings of Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon that management isn't really expecting to 'go for it' this year. And I'm thankful for that. The only thing worse than narrowly missing the playoffs or getting bumped in the 1st round is doing either of those while giving up future assets.
This...


Until the subban fiasco, it seemed MB was well on track for re-building patiently & effectively.

Adding grit/character depth players, locking up key assets long term...

Paid a premium for Prust, but at 2.5m a worthwhile risk to fill a gaping hole in our bottom-6.


Dropping the ball in extending Subban long term ( or getting a massive return in trading him), will set us back big time, and worse, the hole subban leaves will only serve to further pressure management (both in on ice play & in PR) to "do something", which is recipe for blunder

Miller Time is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:11 PM
  #121
Vinny Bombatz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
The Unfortunate Truth...

Our habs are indeed a good team; however they are far from great team. In this day and age it takes a GREAT team to win a championship. This next little rant will be un-biased and not based on 1 games performance, yet a truth very few fans will choose to accept.

The Habs are in a unique situation to make themselves a great team over the next 10 years if managed properly. The way I look at this year is, at first I thought there would be no hockey so let’s call it a wash and become and elite team by doing the following 5 things.

1) Sign Subban, one way or another we need him. My personal preference is a long-term deal (6-8 years). Sure, some will say ‘Price, Paccioretty and so on’ got 2 year deals after their entry level…Thing is, neither of those 2 were at the stage that Subban is at that point in their career…Price was our back-up to Halak at the point and Paccioretty was looking to make his mark in the NHL. Subban is already considered an elite defensemen in the NHL and would be top 2 on 90% of the teams in the league. IMO, this deserves a reward alla (Eberle, Hall, Doughty in terms of length of contract)

2) Send Galchenyuk down, I think he is ready for the NHL and has NHL talent, however no reason in wasting a year in his entry level contract for a team that is on the playoff bubble (he is NOT in a similar situation to Seguin, they had a team to win the Cup, we don’t)

3) SELL, SELL and SELL at the deadline. For the first time since 2008, we can be SOLID sellers at the Deadline. Gionta, Cole, Plekanec, Markov, Kaberle, Cube, Bourque, Armstrong and Weber can all generate interest at the deadline. I’m not saying to trade all of them, however if you can move 3-5 of those players for high draft picks or prospects that are not far away it would benefit the team

4) Sign 2-3 players that are in their PRIME, this years UFA’s will be DEEP…I don’t want that bull**** excuse that ‘players don’t want to come to MTL’ because that’s exactly what it is bull. The truth of why they did not want to come is because our team has been mediocre for a long long time…Players are far from stupid, and if they see the team make the above moves and recognize their core. Price, Subban, Paccioretty, Galchenyuk, Eller, Georges, Deshairnais (is young and solid) they will not hesitate to come

5) Draft in the top 5 this year. Ideally 1 of 2 future franchise players as it would further accelerate the process…Hopefully a guy like Pleks, Cole or Gionta can bring another 1st rounder or solid forward prospect

The unfortunate truth is this is a good team, the fortunate truth is in 2-3 years we can have a great team if things are done properly…

Vinny Bombatz is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:13 PM
  #122
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,398
vCash: 250
Trade Deadline

So say we aren't in playoff contention when the deadline comes along. Who do we trade and what return do you think we can get for them 4 people In my mind are gio,cole,kaberle,bouillon

PricerStopDaPuck is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:13 PM
  #123
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,272
vCash: 500
Surprise another tank thread

ClasslessGuy is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:17 PM
  #124
disturbedraven
Lets rock
 
disturbedraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Surprise another tank thread
To be fair, you either have "a win at all cost" or "tank" threads. You don't ever see "hey let's be a bubble team" thread

disturbedraven is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:28 PM
  #125
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
So say we aren't in playoff contention when the deadline comes along. Who do we trade and what return do you think we can get for them 4 people In my mind are gio,cole,kaberle,bouillon
You won't find any GM stupid enough to trade for Gio, given that he's old and will have to get paid 5mil next season.
Same with Cole, no GM wants to trade for a the last years of an aging vet. Kabs. lol we'll be lucky if anyone wants him for free.




Bouillon.

uiCk is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.