HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 02:23 PM
  #901
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,860
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Yet, from all the Remparts fans...did Erne and Duclair saw their icetime cut? Did it happen a few times that they sat on the bench without playing because of their attitude? Did they miss a few PP's they should have been on because of how bad they are? Were they sat out as healthy scratch and they still continued their powertrip? Or is the "go home you selfish players" the actual first public punishment than those kids got? I mean if it is....it makes no sense to me. You want to humiliate them publicly, find, but proceed the way I mentioned. Cut the icetime and so on. But going from regular players and so on to go home? Makes no sense.
They did get sat for some PP's and we knew there was something wrong in the locker room, we just didn't what. They also got called out by Roy earlier this season. It's not like there was no history prior to this move.

SergeConstantin74 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:50 PM
  #902
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
They did get sat for some PP's and we knew there was something wrong in the locker room, we just didn't what. They also got called out by Roy earlier this season. It's not like there was no history prior to this move.
So there's something so wrong, that they are sent back home and get back in today? Sorry, makes no sense. Sit them out as healthy scratch. Your message would go through, but it won't be as disruptive for a kid as it was yesterday. And the "vets" who told Roy to do it, also happen to call Roy back today to say that it wasn't that bad after all? Come on..

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:20 PM
  #903
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,643
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Would have been scary to see him coaching the habs.
Compared to Therrien in junior, Roy is very soft. He's also much more intelligent than Therrien IMO.


I think it's great that Duclair and Erne have to deserve their icetime despite being NHL prospects. I wish more junior coachs were like that.

Beatnik is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:22 PM
  #904
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Compared to Therrien in junior, Roy is very soft. He's also much more intelligent than Therrien IMO.


I think it's great that Duclair and Erne have to deserve their icetime despite being NHL prospects. I wish more junior coachs were like that.
The only intelligent things Roy does at the junior level is spend big bucks on Euros and "NCAA" bound players to keep the building full. In terms of results on ice he's been mediocre.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:34 PM
  #905
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The only intelligent things Roy does at the junior level is spend big bucks on Euros and "NCAA" bound players to keep the building full. In terms of results on ice he's been mediocre.
Agreed, I'm not at all impressed with Roy's record as a coach considering what an unfair advantage the Remparts have compared to the rest of the Q.

It's also one reason I'm always afraid to draft Remparts players in the first round, it's easier for prospects to hide their weaknesses on such a consistently stacked team.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:35 PM
  #906
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,643
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The only intelligent things Roy does at the junior level is spend big bucks on Euros and "NCAA" bound players to keep the building full. In terms of results on ice he's been mediocre.

That is simply ridiculous.

Among the intelligent things he does, is offering a very tight frame for the players. It's one of the reasons americans and euro come in Québec city, the players are forced to go to school or follow lessons everyday. Parents love that. Many quebecers parents who wanted to send their kids in the US also accepted to see them going in Quebec because of the very serious environement. Most junior teams are country clubs.

The results on ice are also amazing:

''En 499 matchs à la barre des Remparts dans la LHJMQ jusqu'ici, Roy présente un dossier de 324 victoires et 175 défaites pour un total de 680 points et un pourcentage d'efficacité de ,681.'' that means 324W 175L ,681

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/Q...rick-roy.shtml

Oh and he won the memorial cup. Yes he had Radulov but there has been dozens or great players in the CHL that never won it.

Beatnik is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:36 PM
  #907
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Compared to Therrien in junior, Roy is very soft. He's also much more intelligent than Therrien IMO.


I think it's great that Duclair and Erne have to deserve their icetime despite being NHL prospects. I wish more junior coachs were like that.
I'm not even discussing the coaching. I don't watch enough Q to argue any of that, but there are some I discuss with here on HF who do who aren't big fans.

It's more his habit of creating controversy or drama. Seems like he can never help himself. I will concede that he is most likely more intelligent than Therrien. Easy bet, I think.

overlords is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:41 PM
  #908
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,643
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm not even discussing the coaching. I don't watch enough Q to argue any of that, but there are some I discuss with here on HF who do who aren't big fans.

It's more his habit of creating controversy or drama. Seems like he can never help himself. I will concede that he is most likely more intelligent than Therrien. Easy bet, I think.
Quebec are the Yankees of the Q league and Roy is the Steinbrenner.... Of course fans of other teams hate him and won't give him any credit for all the success.

Beatnik is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 06:12 PM
  #909
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,860
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So there's something so wrong, that they are sent back home and get back in today? Sorry, makes no sense. Sit them out as healthy scratch. Your message would go through, but it won't be as disruptive for a kid as it was yesterday. And the "vets" who told Roy to do it, also happen to call Roy back today to say that it wasn't that bad after all? Come on..
I think the big problem in this story was how they handled it with the media. Veterans deciding to suspend them shouldn't have been made public. Although, it took these proportions because they're the Remparts coached by Patrick Roy. The same thing happens with the Val D'Or Foreurs and you don't hear about it. I guess media needed something to talk about because Roy has been pretty quiet so far this season!

Of course it was bad but they need them. It would be easier if they weren't suppose to be the team's leaders on offense.

They played an ok game today. The best player on the ice was clearly Sorensen though.

SergeConstantin74 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 06:55 PM
  #910
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,772
vCash: 500
Not that it will be too hard to do, but watch Mackenzie Weegar improve his rankings by a lot. Though, again, he was way too low on the CSS list to begin with.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:32 PM
  #911
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,860
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not that it will be too hard to do, but watch Mackenzie Weegar improve his rankings by a lot. Though, again, he was way too low on the CSS list to begin with.
The CSS is tough with 2nd and 3rd year eligibles. Andrighetto was nowhere to be found on the list.

SergeConstantin74 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:48 PM
  #912
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
The CSS is tough with 2nd and 3rd year eligibles. Andrighetto was nowhere to be found on the list.
Let's rephrase this...they are hard with Q players on their 2nd and 3rd year eligibles. I didn't go thorugh that much of the list but enough to see a guy like Peter Quenneville there.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:29 PM
  #913
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
That is simply ridiculous.

Among the intelligent things he does, is offering a very tight frame for the players. It's one of the reasons americans and euro come in Québec city, the players are forced to go to school or follow lessons everyday. Parents love that. Many quebecers parents who wanted to send their kids in the US also accepted to see them going in Quebec because of the very serious environement. Most junior teams are country clubs.

The results on ice are also amazing:

''En 499 matchs à la barre des Remparts dans la LHJMQ jusqu'ici, Roy présente un dossier de 324 victoires et 175 défaites pour un total de 680 points et un pourcentage d'efficacité de ,681.'' that means 324W 175L ,681

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/Q...rick-roy.shtml

Oh and he won the memorial cup. Yes he had Radulov but there has been dozens or great players in the CHL that never won it.
He gets those players because of $$$$. Radulov Erne Henessey Grigorenko etc etc etc didn't go to Quebec for a better education. If you believe that I have some land to sell you.

For all the big name he brings in he's never won a Q title, you know where you go out and win 4 7 game series and prove you're the best, not a 1 game winner take all where Desjardins acn get hot and cause an upset.

Roy never goes "all in" and tries to go all the way, instead protecting his cash cow that is a .600 team that fills the Coliseee and bows out in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:30 PM
  #914
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Quebec are the Yankees of the Q league and Roy is the Steinbrenner.... Of course fans of other teams hate him and won't give him any credit for all the success.
All his success? He has NO QMJHL titles despite all the money he throws to players thanks to the biggest crowds in the Q.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:43 PM
  #915
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,643
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
[QUOTE=Carey Price;57983931]He gets those players because of $$$$. Radulov Erne Henessey Grigorenko etc etc etc didn't go to Quebec for a better education. If you believe that I have some land to sell you./QUOTE]


You cannot seriously think that Grigorenko and Radulov made more money in Quebec city than in Russia.


And education played a big role for Henessey, Esposito, Andricopoulos and many others. Never underestimate the influence of parents in the decision of 16 years old kids.

I don't even like Roy lol. I hate coaches that whine all the time behind the bench.

Beatnik is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:48 PM
  #916
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,217
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Beatnik;57985493]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He gets those players because of $$$$. Radulov Erne Henessey Grigorenko etc etc etc didn't go to Quebec for a better education. If you believe that I have some land to sell you./QUOTE]


You cannot seriously think that Grigorenko and Radulov made more money in Quebec city than in Russia.


And education played a big role for Henessey, Esposito, Andricopoulos and many others. Never underestimate the influence of parents in the decision of 16 years old kids.

I don't even like Roy lol. I hate coaches that whine all the time behind the bench.
If those guys really wanted a great education they would have went USHL and played ECHA, not with Quebec. They all got big $$$ to go there.

I'm sure the Remparts paid more to guys like Grigorenko and Radulov than they would KHL. Radulov got big bucks at 23, but no way in hell he would have gotten that much at 18. They pay 1st liners big money not guys that will play 3rd or 4th line.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:07 AM
  #917
hab 4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
You never answered my question how you see Gauthier's game translating to NHL game.

I asked this because as a generaly rule of thumb players like Gauthier generally their game don't translate well to NHL game. They lack first step quickness, intensity and the extra gear. Size, hands and skating alone will only go so far. If it did guys like Joe Colbourne, Bruce Graham, Kevin Veilleux wouldn't have struggled so badly once they turned pro. They were once either late 1st or 2nd round picks who have underachieved to date.

Best I see Gauthier is third line, defensive shut down center. With his size, hands, skating and face-off ability, he probably be best third line center in league some day. But he is not a guy I would target in early/mid first round. Many players besides Nurse or Erne I would take ahead of Gauthier. Zadarov be great, teamed with Tinordi someday what a twin towers they would make. Morin could be also. Unless Gauthier starts to slide, if he does and Habs have a late 1st or early 2nd he could be an excellent pick up.
It is just that the Gauthier you are describing has nothing to do with the Gauthier have seen play a few times in Midget AAA last year and a several more times this year. Gauthier does not lack intensity. Perhaps tall players tend to look like that because some stuff is effortless for them but he is an intense, hardworking two-player. Gauthier has nothing in common with any of Bruce Graham, Veilleux or Colbourne! Please! Gauthier is looking like a surefire first rounder in the best draft in a decade. He is twice the prospect these first 2 guys are (+ better than Colbourne) and has nothing in common with them in terms of playing style. Besides, Gauthier's main strength remains his hockey sense which can't be said of any guys you compared him too. His two-way play/3 zones play is second to none in this draft. Furthermore, his skating is not bad. It is in fact good for a player his size and there is room for improvement as there is room for him to add muscle to his 6'5" frame. Acceleration is the main area to improve but keep in mind this is rookie QMJHL season as opposed to some guys in this draft who are in their third year in this draft. Finally, Gauthier's ceiling is Jordan Staal and he is a fairly safe pick. I think he can become a top two-way second line center à la J.Staal/P. Bergeron (different style than the latter though) and his floor is that of a top defensive forward. I feel that given his ability, room for improvement and progress in last 12 months, he can reach his potential and thus be a top-6 center.

hab 4ever is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:25 AM
  #918
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,645
vCash: 500
Saw Halifax play thrice this weekend, two times on TVASports, and once live in Sherbrooke. And my mind didn't change about Drouin. I have him slightly ahead of Mackinnon.

Alain Chainey (former scout for Anaheim) who is the color guy for the 'Q games on TVASports also has Drouin ahead. He gave his scout rating of the two during today's BLB/HFX game.

He rated Mack's skating at 5, while giving him 4 in both creativity(hockey IQ) and hands. Drouin had 5 in the latter two, and 3.5 in skating. All those ratings are on 5.

I also kept a close eye on Ciampini who IMO is nothing to write home about. Liked Murphy, but I'm not quite sure where to slate him. Probably 3rd round, but I haven't seen him enough just yet.

Liked Boivin of the Remparts, first time I see him play. He's talented and he's smart with the puck. Could be a good option in the late round (5,6,7). He was picked up in the OJHL I believe by Roy.

Talking about Roy, liked Marc-Olivier's game today. He looked faster than I recalled. I'm still not sure I'd use a 2nd rounder on him.

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:36 AM
  #919
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,579
vCash: 567
Drouin or MacKinnon could pretty much come down to team needs I think. You really can't go wrong either way.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
01-21-2013, 01:07 AM
  #920
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The only intelligent things Roy does at the junior level is spend big bucks on Euros and "NCAA" bound players to keep the building full. In terms of results on ice he's been mediocre.
He's not better or worse than Halifax, Saint-John or Moncton in that aspect.

He's a pretty good hockey mind. He did coach the Remparts towards a Memorial cup win. So I wouldn't call that mediocre. He ices a good team every year. Yes, thanks to some enhanced 'scholarships', but also because he(and his staff) are always able to find hidden gems. Marc-Antoine Carrier who's their 2nd D right now was grabbed out of NCAA and was a nice pickup. Same thing with Boivin, McNamee, Midensky and many others.

His team exceeded the expectations last year, unlike some like to think, and it made them look better than they actually were. I think part of that was due to Roy's coaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

If those guys really wanted a great education they would have went USHL and played ECHA, not with Quebec. They all got big $$$ to go there.

I'm sure the Remparts paid more to guys like Grigorenko and Radulov than they would KHL. Radulov got big bucks at 23, but no way in hell he would have gotten that much at 18. They pay 1st liners big money not guys that will play 3rd or 4th line.
I know for a fact that for Ivan Barbashev (1st overall pick in the import draft last year) it required around 300k to come in NA. That's why Sherbrooke traded the pick away, there was no way they were paying that. I believe a talented player like that makes more than that in the KHL so there's more than money. They came in Québec because it's a big market, too. Québec has a huge spotlight on it in the sports media. If you succeed there it will certainly help you grade to scouts. And coming in NA helps shut down the 'Russian factor' to NHL teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So there's something so wrong, that they are sent back home and get back in today? Sorry, makes no sense. Sit them out as healthy scratch. Your message would go through, but it won't be as disruptive for a kid as it was yesterday. And the "vets" who told Roy to do it, also happen to call Roy back today to say that it wasn't that bad after all? Come on..
It was apparently the leaders' + Roy's call to bring them back in tonight after they talked with the two players.


Last edited by QuebecPride: 01-21-2013 at 02:08 AM.
QuebecPride is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 07:46 AM
  #921
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,722
vCash: 500
Well, Calgary lost their first game of the year. That's a good sign because the more they lose, the higher our second rounder will be..Same thing for Nashville.

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:52 PM
  #922
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,923
vCash: 500
Islanders win and Jets get at least a point...Habs could easily be the worst team in the East right now.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 04:29 PM
  #923
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,860
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Islanders win and Jets get at least a point...Habs could easily be the worst team in the East right now.
No, the Flyers are the worst team right now.

SergeConstantin74 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 05:18 PM
  #924
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Drouin or MacKinnon could pretty much come down to team needs I think. You really can't go wrong either way.
Still think MacKinnon gets the nod. He's more physical than Drouin. Think Drouin will go 3rd though.

Ginu is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 05:26 PM
  #925
JustAHabFan
Registered User
 
JustAHabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Still think MacKinnon gets the nod. He's more physical than Drouin. Think Drouin will go 3rd though.
Agreed. I think the order will be Jones, Mackinnon, and Drouin.

JustAHabFan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.