HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 1: Ducks at Canucks 7:05 (The Belated Season opener)

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 01:12 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Holland if he plays will be on the 4th line. Every time there was defensive coverage on the 2nd line it was Bonino doing it. Putting Holland out there as 2C without seeing how he does against NHL speed first is a desperation move that's uncalled for at this point IMO. DSP had 1 shot, 1 blocked shot, and 1 takeaway, while looking a bit lost, slow, and hitting nobody. His size and hitting is supposedly what makes him NHL ready and he isnt showing it - let him sit and put Holland on the 4th.
this. DSP was not showing that he deserves an NHL spot.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Game time is a bit misleading considering the score. When you're up by that much, you're going to roll your lines a bit more. On top of that, Anaheim blew through their PP opportunities fast(unusually fast), which puts the team right back at even strength where Boudreau can keep rolling his lines.

Considering Boudreau's philosophy, we can obviously expect him to try to spread out the ice time more, but even considering that he is almost certainly still going to lean more heavily on specific players at specific times in close games.

As for Rakell, I think Boudreau was trying to ease him in.
It was interesting to see Getzlaf and Perry out on the PK as early in the game as early as they were. Lower ice time will make that doable for them, it's probably a scary thing to have to deal with for other teams (assuming Perry comes back to form sometime soon)

Old
01-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Holland if he plays will be on the 4th line. Every time there was defensive coverage on the 2nd line it was Bonino doing it. Putting Holland out there as 2C without seeing how he does against NHL speed first is a desperation move that's uncalled for at this point IMO. DSP had 1 shot, 1 blocked shot, and 1 takeaway, while looking a bit lost, slow, and hitting nobody. His size and hitting is supposedly what makes him NHL ready and he isnt showing it - let him sit and put Holland on the 4th.
DSP would be my choice as well. He just was not impressive last night. The thing is that Anaheim keeps giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think it's the physical package, with the skillset. That makes me think Rakell might be the one to sit, but I really hope I'm wrong, because I think Rakell's play last night should earn him a continued look, and he was definitely better than DSP.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Kalv
GDT record: 8-3-1

The ussual sophomore slump for Devo, i think. He`s still 20, though.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:34 PM
JabbaJabba

DSP could be sent to AHL if he continues to underachieving and if Rakell keeps his game. And call Holland up.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Ducksgo*

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
DSP could be sent to AHL if he continues to underachieving and if Rakell keeps his game. And call Holland up.
Or Etem

Old
01-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Oh, I'm not writing him off, I just think he belongs in the AHL. He isn't getting off the 4th line, Winnik is the player DSP should be trying to turn himself into at this point. He'd be better served getting top minutes in the AHL IMO. He's not a top 6 player right now and I think he could clearly be one if he develops, which will go better with more ice time. If the reports of him feeling he's too good for the AHL are true, he sure failed to prove that to be the case last night.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:43 PM
IDuck

i dont think bonino played that great of a game but we need to give him some time...i would much rather holland win the spot then bonino just get booted..granted, i think he should be kept on somewhat of a short leash but a few more games (due to short season). also with rakell, i love this kid and i think he is going to be a stud for us but i want to see him fill out a bit..i think the fact he has been playing and others havent gave him a bit of a edge, but you could kind of tell he can get thrown off the puck easy....dude has great skill, sick mitts, and a good IQ

Old
01-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
I thought Holland was traveling with the team.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:56 PM
DigitalSea
Thank you Landon

Quote:
he is with the team. Expected to play against CGY.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Kalv

I think that the fact, that Rakell did played the least minutes of all the players, indicates that Holland must really suck at Calgary to loose the spot. In that case they could go with Rakell for a season.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:02 PM
HanSolo
Incoming Sadness

vCash: 68
We ever find out what was wrong with Fowler? I wasn't following twitter or this thread at all last night.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:06 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
We ever find out what was wrong with Fowler? I wasn't following twitter or this thread at all last night.
flu

Quote:
i donno if it is the sophomore slump.. i think its a case of him not trying as hard. its still those pre-season comments that irked me i think. him saying he thinks he's deserving of a spot on the NHL roster because of what he did last year.. HELLOOO mcmillan ring a bell?

i just want to light a fire under his ass by sending him to the AHL.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:06 PM
MMonarchs

He has the Flu.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I think that the fact, that Rakell did played the least minutes of all the players, indicates that Holland must really suck at Calgary to loose the spot. In that case they could go with Rakell for a season.
Kalvin, you are reading way too much into the ice time. He was a 19 year old playing in his first game. Boudreau was just easing him in. Suggesting Holland would need to suck is doing Rakell a disservice, because that suggests Rakell sucked. You're leaping to a conclusion based on the box score. Never a good thing.

I don't think anyone here was disappointed with Rakell's first game.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Flu. I believe he is expected to play against Calgary.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
6. The 4th line was pretty good but I hope we put Holland on the 4th line center and Rakell on the wing for DSP.
Agreed. DSP was the weak link on that line and didn't really impress me. Rakell and Beleskey both had good games even though Beleskey missed a couple of chances.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:32 PM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Yeah, yes he is. Sorry I messed up with words. I just meant that we could see Beleskey-Holland-Rakell -line.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
Seeing as the Selanne PPG was 100% because of Getzlaf at the point...

Id like to see BB try Fowler in a Scotty Neids rover-type role. For once I liked what Getzlaf did on the point and with him and Souray wed have a RH-LH combination for one timers and they both have bombs. Fowler has the skills and hockey sense to play down low, I think itd be worth a shot. Like you said, Ryan didnt do much, but if Teemu is taking draws, Id like to try keeping Getz up top.
That's how it worked when Pronger and Nieds were still here. Getzlaf played the point/half wall and Pronger was the primary guy stapled to the blueline while Nieds roved around. I think it's the best set up for the players we have.

Quote:
It would also allow him to physically develop a bit more. He got out-muscled a few times last night. I'm kind of torn. In terms of playing ability, Rakell belongs, and I think can be a good player for us, but physically he isn't quite there yet and developmentally he might benefit from the extra ice time. I'm just going to trust Anaheim to make the right call.
I agree - the only real negative part of his game is his size - he needs to bulk up a bit as he did get outmuscled a few times. He's got an NHL level skillset and NHL level brain but he could use some more bulk.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Kalv

Quote:
Kalvin, you are reading way too much into the ice time. He was a 19 year old playing in his first game. Boudreau was just easing him in. Suggesting Holland would need to suck is doing Rakell a disservice, because that suggests Rakell sucked. You're leaping to a conclusion based on the box score. Never a good thing.

I don't think anyone here was disappointed with Rakell's first game.
Not saying that he was horrible or anything.

But Bruce said that he wants to test how`ll Rakell respond to NHL.
The game was decided looong time before the end horn, so it was perfect time to test Rakell, but Bruce didn`t and gave Rakell the least minutes.

What i tried to say is, IMO Bruce gave him a look, but didn`t exactly trusted him. Again - it was perfect situation to give Rakell a test in the NHL. If he wasn`t able to keep up phisically, technically or whatever, then he`s not so ready for NHL this year. (Hell, i dunno if Rakell himself imagined him playing an NHL game before the season.)

And for
Quote:
Suggesting Holland would need to suck is doing Rakell a disservice, because that suggests Rakell sucked.
this - NO.
That means that Holland would be better suited for now for that role.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:57 PM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

Boy, it sure is nice having palmieri instead of Jason Blake. Palmieri has great speed, can forecheck, and unlike Jason Blake, he can burry a lot of the chances Getzlaf sets him up for.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Commander Shepard
Wrex

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Boy, it sure is nice having palmieri instead of Jason Blake. Palmieri has great speed, can forecheck, and unlike Jason Blake, he can burry a lot of the chances Getzlaf sets him up for.
He puts the lime in the coconut.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Getz2perry

Quote:
Not saying that he was horrible or anything.

But Bruce said that he wants to test how`ll Rakell respond to NHL.
The game was decided looong time before the end horn, so it was perfect time to test Rakell, but Bruce didn`t and gave Rakell the least minutes.

What i tried to say is, IMO Bruce gave him a look, but didn`t exactly trusted him. Again - it was perfect situation to give Rakell a test in the NHL. If he wasn`t able to keep up phisically, technically or whatever, then he`s not so ready for NHL this year. (Hell, i dunno if Rakell himself imagined him playing an NHL game before the season.)

And for

this - NO.
That means that Holland would be better suited for now for that role.
Hes 19, and there was no real training camp or preseason... with the game in hand its a good time to let some of the regulars get some play time together to, seeing as most of them played in diffrent teams or not at all.... I dont think you want to throw him into pk pp situations in his first game give him some time, plus i think it was almost like free practice for the regulars.

1st game im not reading to much into it, i felt they were just getting his feet wet

Old
01-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Kalv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz2perry View Post
Hes 19, and there was no real training camp or preseason... with the game in hand its a good time to let some of the regulars get some play time together to, seeing as most of them played in diffrent teams or not at all.... I dont think you want to throw him into pk pp situations in his first game give him some time, plus i think it was almost like free practice for the regulars.

1st game im not reading to much into it, i felt they were just getting his feet wet
That is a good time for testing the player, isn`t it?

Old
01-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Getz2perry

Quote:
That is a good time for testing the player, isn`t it?
I think its different with the lock out, you want to get your stars and your regulars game ready as fast as possible, i think his time will go up a lil each game hes with the big club.

Closed Thread