HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Flyers vs Buffalo refereeing discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 02:43 PM
  #101
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,703
vCash: 500
I say the officiating in the Broncos Ravens game was worse.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:44 PM
  #102
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser
 
Marco Esquandolas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,867
vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooney View Post
just would like to point out on the 2nd dissallowed goal that the puck was not clearly over the line until way after the whistle
I think what most people are disputing is that the whistle never should've been blown in the first place. The puck was loose the entire time.

Marco Esquandolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:44 PM
  #103
BrimFullofAsham45
Registered User
 
BrimFullofAsham45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
The first one was letter of the law. The law might suck but it's the right call.
If your talking about the Fedotenko non goal, I would have to vehemently disagree with you. There was very little contact at all, and Miller was way out of the net and flopping. I love how guys like Ott and Rinaldo can get reputation calls, (to be objective the diving call on Ott was a joke). But the benefit of the doubt given to goalies is a joke. Millers a known flopper and I just didn't see any interference on the play.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
  #104
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted
 
HarryNealesGarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BOS
Country: United States
Posts: 4,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
The first one was letter of the law. The law might suck but it's the right call.
I don't know man. Was there contact made while the goalie was in the blue paint? Yes. Did it interfere with his ability to make a save? Maybe. That's real ticky-tack.

Maybe it was technically correct by the letter of the law but we all know far worse things are usually let go. I'd be PO'ed if I was a Flyers fan.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
  #105
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,838
vCash: 500
Love all the posters coming out of the woodwork after scouring their feeble minds for any single instance where a bad call was made.

Huge difference between a single bad call and multiple disallowed goals, and unbalanced penalty calling changes the results for a game.

Philly got screwed today. Plain and simple.

If you can't admit that you are being blinded by hatred.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
  #106
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
Really? He didn't look too good today.
This thread is for people who actually watched the game.

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
  #107
OOOOIIIO
Binary
 
OOOOIIIO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nashua, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Do you realize what you just said? Two goals disallowed is completely normal and should not be complained about. Looks like I need a new league to follow.
Yes, I think you do need a new league.

Fact is the refs are humans, and as humans we are going to make mistakes. We have this discusion EVERY year, and the fact is regardless of how many checks they add to the game refs are still humans and they are still going to make mistakes.

Fact is, for all the crappy calls throughout the years, the amount of times a ref actually dictates the outcome of a game if minimal. The Flyers were not robbed today, and the refs didnt take the game away from them. Regardless of poor calls they played a poor game which ultimately cost them the game. We wouldnt even be having this discussion had the Flyers won, yet the reffing would have still been consitent.

Again, get over it, your team lost, move on.

OOOOIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
  #108
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 11,843
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooney View Post
just would like to point out on the 2nd dissallowed goal that the puck was not clearly over the line until way after the whistle. also it's the job of the ref down low to whistle down play when the goalie freezes the puck. At times thats an extremly difficult job has he only has a visual of the one side of the net. The play being blown down while the puck is loose is something that happens quite often.

The 1st however was the wrong call.
It does happen all of the time, but I think if they weren't so trigger happy with the whistle it would improve the situation quite a bit.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
  #109
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
the last allowed goal was the correct call not sure why flyers fans are whining so much.
It's not just us that's complaining, champ.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
  #110
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I say the officiating in the Broncos Ravens game was worse.
My two favorite teams are Broncos and Flyers. Guess who hates sports right now.

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:47 PM
  #111
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Karma for some goal that happened 10+ years ago. Makes sense.
Well, it took Germany 44 years to get their Wembley goal back. Karma works in mysterious ways.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:47 PM
  #112
flyersfan018
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
the last allowed goal was the correct call not sure why flyers fans are whining so much.
As if this thread wouldn't have been created if this happened to any other team.

I have no idea what game you were watching if you thought that second goal was correct.

flyersfan018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:47 PM
  #113
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,448
vCash: 500
Certainly, a couple questionable calls went our way. I think the 2nd one was understandable. VanHoser lost sight of the puck and it appeared Miller had it, though he didn't.

The first disallowed goal was very ticky tack but, apparently, the league had a conference call with teams that let them know contact with the goalie will not be tolerated. That was still a weak call. Minimal contact.

The Sabres had their share of fortune this afternoon.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:47 PM
  #114
YuioIklo
Registered User
 
YuioIklo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,342
vCash: 100
The fact that the rules define this as a correct call doesn't mean it's right. Rules can be changed. They are invented. If that causes a problem, the league has to fix it.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:48 PM
  #115
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted
 
HarryNealesGarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BOS
Country: United States
Posts: 4,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
If your talking about the Fedotenko non goal, I would have to vehemently disagree with you. There was very little contact at all, and Miller was way out of the net and flopping. I love how guys like Ott and Rinaldo can get reputation calls, (to be objective the diving call on Ott was a joke). But the benefit of the doubt given to goalies is a joke. Millers a known flopper and I just didn't see any interference on the play.
He was in the blue paint when the "contact" was made. Can't justifiably use him being out of the net as an argument.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:48 PM
  #116
OOOOIIIO
Binary
 
OOOOIIIO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nashua, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
As if this thread wouldn't have been created if this happened to any other team.

I have no idea what game you were watching if you thought that second goal was correct.
Are you just ignorant to the fact that the refs are instructed to call the play dead when they lose sight of the puck? That IS the right call. I question your ability to look at a situation without being emotionally biased due to your team being involved.

OOOOIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:49 PM
  #117
Girgenburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
the goalie interference call was bogus. did fedotenko even touch miller? and this is coming from a sabres fan. however, you can't blame the ref for losing sight of the puck on the other one.

but the rest of the game was fair. flyers fans...get over yourself.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:49 PM
  #118
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 37,185
vCash: 500
Meh, over the course of the season every team gets shafted and every team gets the calls. They even out. I'm sure the Sabres will get the short end of the stick in a different game.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:49 PM
  #119
TheSniper26
Registered User
 
TheSniper26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Youngstown
Country: United States
Posts: 2,034
vCash: 500
The hypocrisy in this thread, on all sides, is astounding(and hilarious).

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:49 PM
  #120
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,838
vCash: 500
League needs to go back to the 3 man system and make these guys do their jobs.

The 2nd waived off goal was plain laziness.

Ref was way off in the corner eating cotton candy.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:49 PM
  #121
BloFan4Life
Registered User
 
BloFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
The fact that the rules define this as a correct call doesn't mean it's right. Rules can be changed. They are invented. If that causes a problem, the league has to fix it.
Your talking to a fanbase that dealt with no goal, where a rule was entirely changed because of it.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:50 PM
  #122
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,673
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Are you just ignorant to the fact that the refs are instructed to call the play dead when they lose sight of the puck? That IS the right call. I question your ability to look at a situation without being emotionally biased due to your team being involved.
Are you just ignorant to the fact that refs have skates on and can move around to behind the net to see the play?

If the ref is behind the net and not sitting at the half boards, it's a goal

__________________
Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:50 PM
  #123
flyersfan018
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Yes, I think you do need a new league.

Fact is the refs are humans, and as humans we are going to make mistakes. We have this discusion EVERY year, and the fact is regardless of how many checks they add to the game refs are still humans and they are still going to make mistakes.

Fact is, for all the crappy calls throughout the years, the amount of times a ref actually dictates the outcome of a game if minimal. The Flyers were not robbed today, and the refs didnt take the game away from them. Regardless of poor calls they played a poor game which ultimately cost them the game. We wouldnt even be having this discussion had the Flyers won, yet the reffing would have still been consitent.

Again, get over it, your team lost, move on.
No one even said this cost them the game so you're wrong already. Secondly, there's a difference between making an occasional bad penalty call and disallowing TWO goals that should have counted. I don't understand how to make that any clearer to you. Yea, refs are human but when it gets that bad someone needs to be called out.

flyersfan018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:50 PM
  #124
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Are you just ignorant to the fact that the refs are instructed to call the play dead when they lose sight of the puck? That IS the right call. I question your ability to look at a situation without being emotionally biased due to your team being involved.
I question your ability to look at the situation without being emotionally biased as well.

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:50 PM
  #125
BrimFullofAsham45
Registered User
 
BrimFullofAsham45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
He was in the blue paint when the "contact" was made. Can't justifiably use him being out of the net as an argument.
Maybe, that was my impression of the play in real time.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.