HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This team will not succeed as long as David Desharnais is a top 6 center.

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 02:09 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
I havent read the thread because the title was horrible.

But I wanted to share my 2 cents.

DD was the best player BY FAR on his line yesterday night.
Thanks for sharing your comments without reading the thread, we needed that imput that hasn't been stated in any of the 3 pages here already

Old
01-20-2013, 02:09 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I havent read the thread because the title was horrible.

But I wanted to share my 2 cents.

DD was the best player BY FAR on his line yesterday night.
That's really not saying much.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I thought DD was our worst center last night by a considerable margin, and was also clearly the best player on his line. Pacioretty and Cole were that bad.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:12 PM
SnapVirus

Quote:
You are quite welcome sir.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:28 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
You are quite welcome sir.
I didn't mean your comment wasn't worth much, just that DD being the best of the three wasn't really going out on a limb, as the entire line was putrid, IMO. They had about 2 good shifts in the entire game.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

How about Paccioretty Desharnais Galchenyuk and 1st for Getzlav?

The Mighty Ducks won a cup because he is 6'4".

Old
01-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Erika

When you have Gionta and Cole (two outdated vets) in your top 6 and they're part of your primary offensive weapons... you're bound to fail miserably... At their age, they should have supporting roles in a championship team as 3rd liners.... here in Montreal they are top 6 forwards hahahaha !!

On top of that, you have a midget like Desharnais centering them.... this is another fail situation. If the habs wants to get out of that bottom tier in this league, Cole, Gionta and Desharnais should not be part of their primary offensive weapons.

As long as they will be, this team will go no where.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:36 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

The Mighty Ducks won a cup because he is 6'4".
I'm sure it didn't hurt

Old
01-20-2013, 02:37 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I thought DD was our worst center last night by a considerable margin, and was also clearly the best player on his line. Pacioretty and Cole were that bad.
Well, he did well in his faceoffs, IIRC. There was that...

I have to imagine that I'm the only one who sees Eller gaining the zone effortlessly almost every time he tries, since nobody else mentions it. Seeing as how this is a major weakness on the roster, I can't see why he isn't used in key situations to at least set up an offensive chance.

And between Eller and DD, I don't really know who will solidify the longterm #2 centre position on this team. They both have their weaknesses. And I don't really care who gets it, as long as the team is better for it. We don't need to trade DD, however. If Eller doesn't work out as a long term #2 centre, he can be a great option for a shutdown 3rd line C. DD, likewise, could do very well on the wing with less defensive responsibility.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:41 PM
WakeUpNHL

IMO
DD is not a # 1 center... period.
Eller does not have the vision to be a #1 or #2... he is a #3 at best.

Next year Galchenyuk has to be our #1, Pleks #2... no room for DD.
Habs should look to move him if he has a decent year.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:43 PM
jedimyrmidon

I thought that DD ran straight into the Leafs D far too often and so lost the puck. Whether it's because of good positioning by them or poor anticipation by DD, he needs to be more shifty since, at times, it really looked like he was trying to go straight through them, which obviously won't work.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I really don't understand the Desharnais vs Plekanec talk. They play completely different roles. One is a two way player and a special teams wizard, one is purely a playmaker.

I still think DD is destined to play on the wings. We need all the skill we can get and Desharnais will be easier to use in an entirely offensive role on the wings.
Plekanec is perfectly where he is. Centering 2nd line, averaging 20g/60pts. Very good 2 ways center.

If one day our goal is to win the Stanley Cup, it will not be with DD as our 1st center.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:47 PM
ChoseLa

Try DD at wing or as a third line center. If we trade him we'll never get faire value.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
DD is our best option at #1C for now. I loved Eller at first but I start to lose faith in him.

Putting him as the 3rd C or at wing would be quite stupid as long as no one push for the #1C job.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:56 PM
AmeriHab

I still think eller can be our #2. He's showed flashes of being offensive with being defensively sound. He's still young and worked hard over the summer. It was good for him to play overseas during the lockout, finally getting real top 6 minutes. Give him the chance with good wingers. He did fine with AK last year when AK worked hard

Old
01-20-2013, 03:05 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriHab View Post
I still think eller can be our #2. He's showed flashes of being offensive with being defensively sound. He's still young and worked hard over the summer. It was good for him to play overseas during the lockout, finally getting real top 6 minutes. Give him the chance with good wingers. He did fine with AK last year when AK worked hard
I like Eller alot, he has good speed, size, work ethic. I just think he is a little slow in execution and vision on the ice to be a top six player, more like a third liner.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Hugo Sham

DD is a good center, creative and smart with the puck. he benefits by playing with the two best and biggest wingers on the team. play him with gally and gio and see what happens. Pleks played extremely well in very limited duty with cole and maxpac. point is, as mentioned we cannot have them as a 1-2. we stunk on the road last year partly because DD was eaten alive by the big skilled centers - shut down centers on other teams. and i mean massacred. he's a slick 2nd, maybe 3rd line center on teams with a big center for him to play behind. him and pleks is an accident waiting to happen. we're still way too small in our top 6. keep one of him or pleks - but i'd prefer pleks because he is bigger and has a far better two-way game.

in my opinion he's a seat warmer until gally is ready. eller stays where he is as a shutdown 3rd line center.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:18 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I agree, but Desharnais is a sacred cow here, so you won't have many on your side. I like him and don't want to get rid of him. I think he should move to wing eventually.
The armchair quarterbacks ran Tom Pyatt out of town for not being a big enough winger, and some people want Desharnais as a winger? Wingers have to scrap in the corners for the puck. Good luck with that.

Desharnais' real problem is not his size, it is his lack of exceptional speed which most small men who make it to the NHL have as compensation.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
The armchair quarterbacks ran Tom Pyatt out of town for not being a big enough winger, and some people want Desharnais as a winger? Wingers have to scrap in the corners for the puck. Good luck with that.

Desharnais' real problem is not his size, it is his lack of exceptional speed which most small men who make it to the NHL have as compensation.
100% agree. he's not a winger and his foot speed is a problem.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:24 PM
MXD

I fully expect Plekanec to be gone by the beginning of the next season.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

This team will not succeed as long as Pacioretty and Cole play on the same PP unit (and in Cole's case being on the PP at all). Can't have a PP with players who have no puck skills.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

This is actually the biggest problem I have with Desharnais. The team was shockingly slow last night. I know a lot of guys are out of shape right now but not Desharnais and you aren't going to win in this NHL with such little speed, no matter how much "character" you have.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Well, he did well in his faceoffs, IIRC. There was that...

I have to imagine that I'm the only one who sees Eller gaining the zone effortlessly almost every time he tries, since nobody else mentions it. Seeing as how this is a major weakness on the roster, I can't see why he isn't used in key situations to at least set up an offensive chance.

And between Eller and DD, I don't really know who will solidify the longterm #2 centre position on this team. They both have their weaknesses. And I don't really care who gets it, as long as the team is better for it. We don't need to trade DD, however. If Eller doesn't work out as a long term #2 centre, he can be a great option for a shutdown 3rd line C. DD, likewise, could do very well on the wing with less defensive responsibility.
It's frustrating to see Eller never used in much of an offensive role. This was only one game, but 12ish minutes along side Moen again. No PP time. I mean, not sure how you can say it's a make or break year for him but not give him the chances to succeed. He is our only player that can stickhandle through players while entering the zone (major reason why I felt we should go for skilled guys like Jagr or Semin during open market), but he never gets a shot.
It's the the point where I think DD or Plekanec will have to get injured before he gets a shot, which is ridiculous. We're wasting his skills imo if we don't try him out with better guys.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

Plekanec and DD are our best two offensive centers. Please no Eller comments. He's a good young player but not really offensively gifted enough to be top 6 center. Well...a top 6 center that would make us a "contender" anyway.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Plekanec and DD are our best two offensive centers. Please no Eller comments. He's a good young player but not really offensively gifted enough to be top 6 center. Well...a top 6 center that would make us a "contender" anyway.
For a kid without much offensive skills he certainly did well with AK and Moen last year.
He's still just 23. But they should at least give him a crack at the PP. This is usually where young players start making their mark, or at least, it helps them a lot.
He hasn't gotten that chance yet.

Closed Thread