HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 02:44 PM
monster_bertuzzi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
I will always maintain it was a poor trade, just because I believe we could have gotten much more for him. He has a bright future for sure

However I don't blame Gillis for trading him. With his reported attitude issues, he needed to go. Just wish we could have gotten more for him.
He doesn't have a bad attitude, he wanted a bigger role on our team - and it turns out, he was right.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Hodgson had the most ice time of any Buffalo forward. And he's playing with top flight line mates.
Roflmao, is that a shot at him? If he's leading their forwards in ice time obviously he's doing something right. Face it folks we ****ed that one up hard.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Lundface

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
He doesn't have a bad attitude, he wanted a bigger role on our team - and it turns out, he was right.
It didn't mesh with whatever they wanted here, thats for sure

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Hodgson Kesler
Higgins Schroeder Hansen
Lapierre Malholtra Weise

Yupp there was no way to work it all out here

Old
01-20-2013, 02:49 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
It didn't mesh with whatever they wanted here, thats for sure

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Hodgson Kesler
Higgins Schroeder Hansen
Lapierre Malholtra Weise

Yupp there was no way to work it all out here
That lineup looks like it would contend, and is solid for years going forward. Hell, if the Sedins were to move on or retire you could just shift Hodgson-Kesler up one line, or move Kesler back to center and still have your 3C's. Damn.

01-20-2013, 02:54 PM
JUMBOcanuck

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
I'll take him over Kassian anyday. looks like a 4th line plug in the NHL. Atleast Hodgson can score and he draws penalties like crazy.
waaaaah

Old
01-20-2013, 02:55 PM
NonBruinHatingCanuck

Quote:
Roflmao, is that a shot at him? If he's leading their forwards in ice time obviously he's doing something right. Face it folks we ****ed that one up hard.
agree with you 100%.. Last year when he would have the puck on the PP he looked so calm and confident with it as a rookie iwas very impressed... Still pissed about that trade... He has such a high hockey IQ.

No knock against Kassian but its apples and oranges.

Actually I will cheer for Buffalo in the East I like their team.. Except that whiner Miller

Old
01-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Lundface

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
That lineup looks like it would contend, and is solid for years going forward. Hell, if the Sedins were to move on or retire you could just shift Hodgson-Kesler up one line, or move Kesler back to center and still have your 3C's. Damn.
Move em up and use Gaunce as a 3rd in a few years

Playmaking UFA Hodgson Kesler
Jensen Schroeder Burrows
Higgins Gaunce Hansen

Old
01-20-2013, 03:04 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:

Jensen Schroeder Burrows
Higgins Gaunce Hansen
What could have been...

Who has the bad attitude, really? Kesler should have moved to RW, him and Coho would have been a dynamite pair on a second line. ****ing retards AV and MG.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:05 PM
opendoor

Quote:
I'd argue that an inexperienced rookie with no track record in the pros demanding a larger role than that of a 3rd line C and 2nd unit PP constitutes having a bad attitude. Especially when you throw an overbearing father who apparently pestered management into the mix.

Hodgson and his camp were interested in only one thing and that was looking out for #1 and getting him a more lucrative 2nd contract. I'd understand his impatience if he'd been stuck in the minors or spent several seasons buried down the lineup without being given an opportunity, but he was a 21 year old getting his first taste of NHL hockey after a decidedly mediocre year in the AHL. Despite his inexperience he still felt the need to drag his agent into Gillis' office to pressure for more ice time.

That's not to say that the trade for Kassian was either a good one or properly timed, but I think it's pretty clear that Hodgson wasn't going to work long term for the Canucks given the drama. Some of that falls at management and the coaching staff's feet, but most of it is due to the sense of entitlement that Hodgson and his camp had.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:05 PM
opendoor

Quote:

Jensen Schroeder Burrows
Higgins Gaunce Hansen
That lineup would probably struggle to make the playoffs.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Lundface

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
That lineup would probably struggle to make the playoffs.
I wouldn't doubt it. Without the Sedins we aren't much.... but that was a worse case scenario

At this stage, Kassian is not ready to have an impact ( IMO). I have nothing against him and certainly hope he puts it all together

I just feel we could have either held onto Hodgson or traded him as part of a piece for something else. The team is aging, and has a few years left in it to compete. Trading for a piece that is less developed ( and may never develop) was a silly move in my opinion. I have nothing against Gillis as he has taken this team to heights it hasn't previously seen, but there isn't anything wrong with pointing out he made a mistake.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:13 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
I'd argue that an inexperienced rookie with no track record in the pros demanding a larger role than that of a 3rd line C and 2nd unit PP constitutes having a bad attitude. Especially when you throw an overbearing father who apparently pestered management into the mix.

Hodgson and his camp were interested in only one thing and that was looking out for #1 and getting him a more lucrative 2nd contract. I'd understand his impatience if he'd been stuck in the minors or spent several seasons buried down the lineup without being given an opportunity, but he was a 21 year old getting his first taste of NHL hockey after a decidedly mediocre year in the AHL. Despite his inexperience he still felt the need to drag his agent into Gillis' office to pressure for more ice time.

That's not to say that the trade for Kassian was either a good one or properly timed, but I think it's pretty clear that Hodgson wasn't going to work long term for the Canucks given the drama. Some of that falls at management and the coaching staff's feet, but most of it is due to the sense of entitlement that Hodgson and his camp had.
By that logic every good young player we get that wants a bigger role - and asks for a bigger role, we should trade? Not buying it.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:15 PM
opendoor

Quote:
By that logic every good young player we get that wants a bigger role - and asks for a bigger role, we should trade? Not buying it.
The vast majority of young players understand that's it's a long process to get to the NHL and become a quality player and even if you don't immediately get put into situations you think you're ready for that that's all part of becoming a pro.

How do you think Hodgson would've responded to a career arc like Schneider has had?

Old
01-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Ehhh... Hodgson is a year older. Had 3 points in first 10 games last year while playing with legitimate talent rather than Ebbett and Raymond.

It takes time and support for rookies to get going. Judging Kassian because he didn't score in the first game of the season with limited ice-time and crap linemates just exposes how biased some of you are.
I wonder how important it is to GLOAT rather than be factually correct. Run here every time Hodgson scores, then go hide out when he sucks. Its just silly.

Hodgson plays with Thomas Vanek in his prime . He gets first line minutes and juicy power play time . How is NOT supposed to put up points???? Its not like Cody has no skill.

I think as time wears on, so will Hodgson just like he always does. He wears down, he slows down, and then gets injured. Its been like this since he left junior.

Give it more than one game . Give it more than a week or even a month or two.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:19 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
The vast majority of young players understand that's it's a long process to get to the NHL and become a quality player and even if you don't immediately get put into situations you think you're ready for that that's all part of becoming a pro.

How do you think Hodgson would've responded to a career arc like Schneider has had?
Comparing him to a goalie is foolish. Anyways, Hodgson was easily our 4th or 5th best forward last year, he had a right to feel like he wanted a bigger role.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:20 PM
NonBruinHatingCanuck

Quote:

I personally Want Players to want more ice time! Of course they have to Earn it... Now how much of the story do we really know? We know MG's side of the story... Hodgson has stayed quiet and stayed more professional about it IMO. I doubt he "demanded" more ice time as requested a bigger role on the team. I highly doubt he said Make me 2C... I bet he just asked for few more minutes per game.. Translated by AV into Demanded. Anyways I'm bitter about this ... I promised I would forget if Vancouver stayed successful.. So we'll see come april!

Old
01-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt it. Without the Sedins we aren't much.... but that was a worse case scenario

At this stage, Kassian is not ready to have an impact ( IMO). I have nothing against him and certainly hope he puts it all together

I just feel we could have either held onto Hodgson or traded him as part of a piece for something else. The team is aging, and has a few years left in it to compete. Trading for a piece that is less developed ( and may never develop) was a silly move in my opinion. I have nothing against Gillis as he has taken this team to heights it hasn't previously seen, but there isn't anything wrong with pointing out he made a mistake.

But it hasn't been proven to be a mistake. There's still a lot of time to see where this ends up. Not comparing the two, but Bert was 25 before he broke out... There's a long way to go here.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:22 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonBruinHatingCanuck View Post
I personally Want Players to want more ice time! Of course they have to Earn it... Now how much of the story do we really know? We know MG's side of the story... Hodgson has stayed quiet and stayed more professional about it IMO. I doubt he "demanded" more ice time as requested a bigger role on the team. I highly doubt he said Make me 2C... I bet he just asked for few more minutes per game.. Translated by AV into Demanded. Anyways I'm bitter about this ... I promised I would forget if Vancouver stayed successful.. So we'll see come april!
Do they? People here are already saying how they want to see Kassian on our top line, and he hasn't done anything at the NHL level. Andrew Ebbett got beat out by Jordan Schroeder for the 2C job yet Schroeder was the one sent down and our 2nd line essentially became our 4th line because of it (based on game 1 ice time).

Old
01-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Momesso

Man it's pathetic reading all the chicken littles already bashing the Hodgson deal.

It's done, move on. Kassian has a lot of time to prove himself, and he brings a completely different set of tools to the organization.

Sure we have a glaring hole at centre, obviously because Kesler has the toughest shoes to fill. My only gripe is that we haven't been able to deal Lou for depth, but I'm guessing a deal just hasn't been there, yet.

Be patient, let the team get back into a rhythm.

The Canucks have been slow starters, and strong finishers. This year won't be much different.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:29 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Comparing him to a goalie is foolish. Anyways, Hodgson was easily our 4th or 5th best forward last year, he had a right to feel like he wanted a bigger role.
OK, how about Henrik and Daniel Sedin? Both highly touted and vastly more skilled than Hodgson and they didn't both crack 14:00 a game until their 5th year in the league when they were 25 years old. Daniel Sedin put up 54 points with 13:32 a game in 03-04 (for context, Malhotra got 12:20 last season), how do you think Hodgson and his dad would react to that situation?

Old
01-20-2013, 03:32 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Man it's pathetic reading all the chicken littles already bashing the Hodgson deal.

It's done, move on. Kassian has a lot of time to prove himself, and he brings a completely different set of tools to the organization.

Sure we have a glaring hole at centre, obviously because Kesler has the toughest shoes to fill. My only gripe is that we haven't been able to deal Lou for depth, but I'm guessing a deal just hasn't been there, yet.

Be patient, let the team get back into a rhythm.

The Canucks have been slow starters, and strong finishers. This year won't be much different.
I'm actually quite glad that hasn't happened. That would be a disaster.

I think all of these issues come out because we keep seeing the team make the same mistakes over and over again, and the most recent situation being the Ebbett over Schroeder selection. Is management really that worried that we would lose this guy who was at the bottom of our ice time last night, that we chose to send down a talented offensive center?

Old
01-20-2013, 03:36 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
OK, how about Henrik and Daniel Sedin? Both highly touted and vastly more skilled than Hodgson and they didn't both crack 14:00 a game until their 5th year in the league when they were 25 years old. Daniel Sedin put up 54 points with 13:32 a game in 03-04 (for context, Malhotra got 12:20 last season), how do you think Hodgson and his dad would react to that situation?
The Sedins never played a game in the AHL. We brought them on to the team and despite their struggles we kept them on the team and kept giving them at minimum third line minutes. That's something we don't do with our offensive prospects anymore.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:40 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
The Sedins never played a game in the AHL. We brought them on to the team and despite their struggles we kept them on the team and kept giving them at minimum third line minutes. That's something we don't do with our offensive prospects anymore.
Daniel Sedin put up 20 goals in his rookie year at the age of 20. How many Canucks' prospects would've done that in a season they otherwise spent in the AHL?

Old
01-20-2013, 03:43 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
There has to be something to all the BS, there was no real reason to trade him if there wasn't.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Daniel Sedin put up 20 goals in his rookie year at the age of 20. How many Canucks' prospects would've done that in a season they otherwise spent in the AHL?
None because we trade them away or don't even play them in the NHL.

Closed Thread